• Published 17th Feb 2018
  • 2,522 Views, 80 Comments

One Bolt, Moving Forward - Boltsinger



When ponies' lives change, it can be jarring. Some find it hard to accept, while others want the same for themselves. Through all of it, there are always new lessons to be learned.

  • ...
5
 80
 2,522

PreviousChapters Next
Up In The Clouds

Soarin moved about his bedroom, a suitcase on his desk that was gradually being filled with necessities. “Haven’t been back to Cloudsdale since I moved away… I wonder how everypony is doing...”

“I’m sure everyone’s fine.” Rainbow Dash said from the next room. “How’s the packing coming along? Everyone’s meeting up pretty soon so Twilight can cast the cloud-walking spell.”

“Almost done!” He called back, putting one more item in and latching the suitcase shut. “So, you gonna see your family while we’re there?”

“See them? I’m staying with them!” She replied, standing in the doorway. “If I didn’t, they’d just come to wherever I’m at and gush over how proud they are, anyway!”

“Yeah, I bet they’re already over the moon about the games.” Soarin noted, hooking his tail into the suitcase handle and pulling it along behind him. “Well, I’m ready! Let’s get going!”

Rainbow Dash nodded, running out the door. The two Pegasi made their way to the balloon station, where Twilight, Flash, Fluttershy, and Boltsinger stood before their more aerially challenged friends. They landed on either side of the group as Twilight closed the book in front of her.

“It’s been a while since I’ve had to cast this spell, but I’m ready now!” Twilight announced, starting to light her horn.

“Can’t I have those lovely wings again?” Rarity asked, fond remembrance crossing her face. “Flying was simply wonderful, and those wings…” She began drooling, letting out a delirious laugh.

“I’m sorry, Rarity, but I don’t think I have enough in me right now to cast that particular spell.” Twilight explained. “Besides, if I only did it for you, it would leave everypony else out! Better we all go there as equals than to have one pony stand out too much.”

“Said the Princess to the regular citizens.” Spike teased.

“Okay, that’s something we can’t help.” the Princess stated, acknowledging her assistant’s comment. “Anyway, let’s go!” Her horn lit up completely, sending beads of magic into every wingless pony in the area, and Spike.

“Okay, everypony in the basket! We’ve got a long flight ahead of us!” Flash directed, waving his hoof as the ponies came forward. Pinkie bounded on board, leaning over the edge on the other side, while Applejack passed with a tip of her hat. Rarity then trotted up to the guard, a ludicrous pile of bags floating behind her. “Rarity, I think we’ll need to put your suitcases on… another balloon. What exactly is in all of those, anyway?”

Rarity coyly looked back at the bags. “Oh, just a few essentials. You know how cold it gets up in the air. I packed a scarf. And an extra scarf. And a few extra outfits, just in case I need to do an emergency costume change. And some extra things I always bring along just in case somepony needs my help in an emergency!”

Flash looked impressed at the designer’s last statement. “You have emergency training? I’ll be counting on you if something comes up, then.”

“Nonono, darling! I mean a fashion emergency!” She corrected with a wave of her hoof. “You never know when you’ll find a pony in desperate need of a new look!”

Flash’s face fell flat. “Just climb aboard, please. We’ll take care of your… essentials… somehow.” Rarity nodded and boarded the balloon as she placed her bags on the ground. He turned to the balloon operator. “All right! Let’s go! Everypony who can fly, feel free, but if it gets to be too much, get in the basket!” Twilight, Rainbow, and Fluttershy took off first, leading the way, while Soarin, Flash, and Boltsinger stayed closer to the balloon as it took off.

“So, Soarin…” Boltsinger began, looking over at the white flyer. “I can’t help but notice you arrived with Rainbow Dash.”

Soarin looked back at him. “Yeah, what about it?”

Boltsinger smirked, looking forward again. “Well, you two seem to be doing a lot together. Have you maybe made any progress towards your goal?”

Flash cocked his eyebrow. “And what ‘goal’ would that be?”

Soarin opened his mouth to reply, Boltsinger chiming in before he could form his statement. “Oh, he’s got a thing for Rainbow Dash.”

The white Wonderbolt went into a furious blush, putting his hoof in his mane. “Come on, Bolt, you didn’t have to just tell him!”

“He’s right. You didn’t.” the guard affirmed, smirking at Soarin. “I already knew.”

Soarin groaned as Boltsinger burst into laughter. “So I guess it’s obvious to everypony, huh?” Soarin guessed.

“Everypony but Rainbow Dash.” Boltsinger confirmed with a chuckle. “She’s been… sorting through her own feelings. Honestly, I think you might be approaching a golden opportunity.”

Soarin shifted his expression to show a hint of confusion. “I’m not sure I follow.”

“Oh, don’t worry. I’m sure you’ll understand once you’ve won.” Boltsinger said, letting out a soft, yet devious laugh as they flew onward.

Ahead of the stallions, Twilight, Rainbow Dash, and Fluttershy flew at a leisurely pace, a soft silence found in the presence of good friends and the expanse before them. After several minutes, Rainbow Dash let out a bored groan. “That’s it, I’m bored! What do you wanna talk about?”

“Oh! Um…” Fluttershy started, a little surprised at the sudden conversation. “So, Twilight, my parents are oh-so-excited about having you and Boltsinger over for the Games! My parents have already got everything set up for you two.”

“You’re staying with Fluttershy’s family?” Rainbow asked, casting a look at her lilac friend. “How’d you pull that off?”

“They invited us, of course!” Twilight answered. “I don’t know what brought it about, but I don’t want to turn down hospitality like theirs!”

Rainbow nodded, crossing her forelegs. “Cool. I’m staying with my parents, too. They wanna be there for every heat we have in the relay, but even that won’t be enough for them!”

“Oh, I’m sure Windy and Bow aren’t that bad about it anymore…” Fluttershy suggested. Rainbow Dash took a long, deadpanning look at Fluttershy that seemed to question her sanity. “Or… you know… they could have gotten worse… So, what about Soarin? Is he staying with family, too?”

“I dunno. He hasn’t told me where he’s shacking up.” she replied, sneaking a look back at the white Wonderbolt. Her cheeks turned a mild pink as she faltered in the air, catching the attention of the Alicorn next to her.

“You could invite him to stay with your family, you know.” Twilight suggested, giving a knowing glance.

Rainbow faltered again, quickly swooping up in front of the Princess with her hooves waving in front of her. “Why would I want to do that?!”

“Well, you do spend an awful lot of time with him.” Twilight noted.

“And you also seem to talk about him a lot, lately.” Fluttershy added. “It seems like you think pretty highly of him!”

What?! You’re just reading too much into this!” She insisted, turning around and continuing. “He’s a good friend! It’s not like I like him, or anything!” She turned away, hiding the mad blush that had overtaken her face.

Twilight giggled. “Well, enough about that. I’m really looking forward to the Games, and getting to know your families better!”

“They are pretty great.” the blue mare assured. “I just hope you don’t have to deal with…”


“Oh, my Flutter-butter big sister!” a tall, skinny Pegasus stallion shouted. He was a light blue, only a shade darker than Rainbow Dash, with purple eyes and a straight, long, yellow mane and tail. His mane was done up in a messy bun, and he had five o’clock shadow, despite it only being noon. His Cutie Mark showed a fiery red feather riding on a breeze. He and Fluttershy stood just outside of their foalhood home, the yellow mare being held extra tight by the blue stallion. “How I’ve missed you! Why, you have no idea just how bad some ponies’ manes can get when they let all the stress and pressures of life get them--” he stopped mid-sentence, gawking at the other ponies that walked up. His eyes fell upon the unruly blue mess that found itself positioned on the orange stallion's head, his jaw going slack. “What in Equestria happened to you?!”

Boltsinger tilted his head. “What are you talking about?”

“That-that-that mane! How did it get so… I can’t even come up with a word to describe it!” He ran over to Boltsinger, clutching his head and pulling his mane every which way. “There’s so much… everything in there! Do you even brush, boy?”

Fluttershy stepped forward, putting her hoof squarely on the stallion’s shoulder. “Zephyr Breeze, could you please not suffocate our guest?”

Zephyr looked down at the blue mess beneath him, seeing that he had clamped his forelegs around the pony’s head and neck so hard that he struggled to breathe. “Oh!” He released Boltsinger from his grip, backing up. “Sorry about that. Ever since I ‘found my way', I just can’t help myself when I see a mane in need! And your mane has a heck of a story to tell!”

“Well… You’re not wrong.” Boltsinger said, offering a hoof to the stallion he just met. “It’s nice to meet you, Zephyr. My name is Boltsinger.”

“Oh! So you’re that new friend my big sis told us about!” He bumped his hoof against the extended one. “Good to finally meet you! And I hope to see more of you soon! We have… business… to discuss!” He smiled and started off towards town. “Well, I’ll be back! If you’re all gettin’ here, then that means Rainbows is arriving, too! Gotta let her know I haven’t forgotten about her in all my success!”

Boltsinger waved a hoof, soon joined by Twilight and Fluttershy. “So… he’s… interesting…” he told the mares. “I look forward to meeting the rest of your family!”


Rainbow Dash and Soarin approached a house in Cloudsdale, Soarin looking around the neighborhood. “So, this is where your parents live, huh?” he asked.

Rainbow gave a small nod. “Yeah, it’s not much, but it’s home.” She looked up at the pony in her company. “So, you really don’t have anywhere to stay in Cloudsdale? I thought you only just recently moved to Ponyville!”

Soarin scratched his head with his hoof. “Yeah, I never had much here in Cloudsdale, anyway. Besides, it’ll be great to get to know your family better!”

“Well, you know me, so getting to know them should be a snap.” Rainbow said, approaching the door. She raised her hoof, making to knock as it was flung open from the other side.

“WELCOME HOME, RAINBOW DASH!!!” a pair of voices screamed. Inside stood a faded blue Pegasus stallion with white hooves, amber eyes, and a short-cut mane and tail with the same color pattern as Rainbow Dash, the tail ending with a little lightning bolt. He wore a green button-up shirt with a white one underneath, and his Cutie Mark showed a rainbow coming out of a cloud behind a horseshoe. Next to him stood a pale blue Pegasus mare with purple eyes along with a bowl cut scarlet and orange mane and tail. Her Cutie Mark showed a cloud emitting a gust of wind, and she wore a yellow track jacket. They ran out of the door, nearly tackling their daughter in a hug.

“We’re so happy you decided to stay with us during the Games!” the stallion literally cried. “You make this old colt so proud!”

The ponies stood up, with the mare looking to Soarin. “And you brought your boyfriend with you!”

Rainbow Dash and Soarin both jumped back, faces bright red as they looked at each other. “What?!” Rainbow started, shaking her head rapidly. “No! He’s not my boyfriend! He’s just a really good friend! We’re both Wonderbolts! We fly together! You’ve met him before!”

Soarin joined in with nervous laughter. “Yeah, come on! Bow, Windy, you know me!”

Windy smirked, trotting to the door. “Whatever you say. Well, everything is all set up for the both of you!”

Rainbow smiled, giving Windy a quick hug before trotting in. “Thanks, Mom. We need to get to the stadium for opening ceremonies, soon. You gonna be there?”

“Of course we’re going to be there!” Bow shouted, guiding Soarin to his room. “You think we’d miss your first time competing in the Equestria Games?!”

“Uh… yeah! My first time competing!” Rainbow nervously repeated, heading back to the door. “I’ll see you there!” She sped out the door.

Soarin looked wide-eyed at the spot his friend had been standing in. He quickly shook his head, waving to the parents and running out the door. As he found the mare, he matched her pace beside her. “Did you not tell your parents the last time you were in the Games?”

Rainbow’s face became stricken with guilt as she slowed down, looking at the street beneath her. “I didn’t…” She raised her head and turned sharply to look at him. “You didn’t tell them, did you?!”

Soarin shook his head. “No, I didn’t. But why didn’t you?”

Rainbow gave a relieved sigh as she looked ahead. “It’s the same reason I didn’t tell them when I became a Wonderbolt. I love how supportive they are, but it can get super embarrassing when they… go overboard…”

“Yeah, I remember when they first showed up at the compound.” He replied with a snicker. “They’re pretty great ponies, though. You’re lucky to have them!”

Rainbow nudged Soarin with her wing, giving him a relaxed smile. “I’m lucky to have a lot of ponies!” She jumped into the air, flapping her wings. “Come on! We gotta get ready for the ceremony!”

Soarin happily followed suit. “Right behind you, Crash!” He zoomed onward, the turbulence of his flight blowing the tail of a blue stallion gawking from the side of the road.


Cloudsdale stadium was packed to the brim. For the first time in many years, the stands were filled with ponies, and other creatures, of all kinds. Twilight sat in a special seat next to the other Princesses, her royal decorum in play. She leaned forward, waving to Cadence and looking around. In addition to several noble ponies from Canterlot, Twilight spotted Thorax, a Hippogriff representative, as well as the Yak Prince, Rutherford. The most interesting sight to behold was Rarity, leaning comfortably against Fancy Pants, who talked at length about something or other. She gave a contented smile, pulling a bucket close, just in case.

Meanwhile, in the crowds, Pinkie Pie sat with Applejack, Spike, Starlight, and Sunburst, waving up at the royal box.

“Hi, Prince Rutherford! It’s me! Pink Pony!” Pinkie called. The large furry Prince glanced in her direction, waving and laughing. The poofy mare directed her attention up a bit higher, noting all of the Alicorns, but somepony was missing… “Hey, Applejack, why isn’t Bolt up there with Twilight? I mean, Shining Armor is next to Cadence, and he gets super airsick! So why doesn’t Twilight get to have her Prince along?”

“Fillies and gentlecolts!” a baritone voice boomed, carrying through the stadium in an instant. “Creatures of all kinds! Welcome here to Cloudsdale for the Equestria Games!”

“That’s why.” Applejack said, pointing at the source of the voice. There, Boltsinger stood center-stadium, his practiced composure on full display. “I mean, who else wouldja pick fer that job?”

“Oooooooh!” Pinkie replied, returning to her seat as Boltsinger’s announcements continued. “That makes sense.”

The announcements came with cheers from the crowd. Each of the regions of Equestria getting their due. Finally, the moment came. “And, finally, the delegation from…” Boltsinger gestured a hoof toward the entrance. “Ponyville!”

Through a hoop bearing the Ponyville flag, Scootaloo burst out, flying high with Apple Bloom, and Sweetie Belle, along with their friends Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon pulled on scooters behind them. They jumped off of their respective scooters, Apple Bloom and Silver Spoon sliding into place as Sweetie Belle lifted herself and Diamond Tiara onto their backs with her magic, with Scootaloo hovering in place at the top. Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle, Diamond Tiara, and Silver Spoon all extended a foreleg on the inside of the formation, creating a star pattern as one final scooter rolled behind them with the flag propped up. “PONYVILLE FOREVER! YAY!” they exclaimed as the athletes of Ponyville made their entrance. Last to arrive was the aerial relay team, who landed with utmost grace behind the flag, Rainbow Dash taking it from the scooter and placing it with the others before enthusiastically trotting up next to Soarin.

After the delegations took their places, Boltsinger cleared his throat. “Now, to light the torch, it is my privilege to introduce… Dragon Lord Ember!” With that, a small blue dragon, roughly three times Spike’s height, stepped forward by the torch. She had long, dark blue spines with a frill of the same color at the end of her tail. Her underside, as well as a number of spots throughout her body, were a lighter blue, with hooked white horns and fiery orange eyes. The leather of her wings was a bright violet that became deeper as it went up the bend of the limb. She took a deep breath, letting out an ear-piercing roar along with an immense purple flame that engulfed the torch. The flames turned to a more natural orange as more cheers commenced. “I now declare these Games… open!” The loud stallion concluded, raising his foreleg as the throngs of spectators exclaimed their approval.


The ceremony came to a close, and the ponies made their exit. Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and Rarity met up with their sisters and their friends. Words of praise were passed around from the mares to the fillies as the remainder of the group gathered.

Apple Bloom perked up the moment Twilight and Boltsinger came into view, trotting over to them. “Twilight! Bolt! What’dja think of our flag-wavin’?!”

Twilight beamed at the yellow filly. “That was even better than the last Games! I liked your friends’ contribution a lot!”

Apple Bloom looked back at the other Earth Pony fillies in their gathering, reveling in the feeling of friendship she got from her former rivals. “I did, too!” She looked back at Twilight. “We spent so much time competin’ back then, we never even knew how good it could get when we all work together!”

Twilight tousled Apple Bloom’s mane with her wing, giving her a warm smile. “All five of you have come a long way! I’m very proud of you!”

“Thanks, Twilight. That means a lot.” Apple Bloom said. She turned to Boltsinger. “So, what did you think?”

“Best flag-waving I ever saw!” He exclaimed. He leaned in closer to Twilight, whispering out of the corner of his mouth. “Also the only flag-waving I ever saw… But, still, really good!” He returned his full attention to the farm filly. “So, how do you like Cloudsdale? Isn’t this your first time walking on clouds?”

Apple Bloom nodded, jumping and spinning on the cloud below her. “Yeah! I knew they were soft ‘n fluffy, it this is sumthin’ else entirely! And Pegasus ponies really live most ‘o their lives up here?”

Boltsinger nodded, starting his walk to the other Crusaders. “Most Pegasi, yeah. It depends on where they’re born and various other circumstances. I spent most of my life on the ground. I can tell you all about it sometime if you’re interested.”

Apple Bloom’s head made a slight tilt. “Tell me ‘bout what?”

“Oh, various things… Things like what it was like living in Vanhoover when I was little… finding out what I liked to do…” he lifted his wing, pointing a feather at his flank. “How I got my Cutie Mark…”

Apple Bloom stopped, putting her hooves on the stallion’s head and pulling him close.“Really?! You’re finally gonna tell us how ya got yer Cutie Mark?!” Boltsinger nodded. “I can bring the other Crusaders along, right?”

The Pegasus chuckled, giving her a grin. “I’d be surprised if you didn’t. Heck… I’m surprised I waited this long to tell you!” he stated, turning to Scootaloo and letting out a prideful holler. Apple Bloom, in kind, let out an excited squee.

Meanwhile, Soarin made his exit, catching up to Rainbow Dash. “If I wasn’t pumped for the relay before, I definitely am now!” he told her. “How ‘bout you?”

“Heh. I’m always pumped for a good competition!” Rainbow replied, keeping her cool. “Not that I’m not used to it after all this time.”

Soarin laughed, looking back to see Bow and Windy making their approach. “Oh, I remember. Your parents told us all about your first race, remember?”

Rainbow averted her eyes, her cheeks pink. “Don’t remind me…”

“Aha!” came a stallion’s voice from the entrance. “There you are, my little Dashie!” Zephyr Breeze confidently walked out of the building. “Can’t believe it took me this long to catch up with you!” He got in close, putting his foreleg around her. “Ya didn’t miss me, did you, hun?”

The jaws of all present Wonderbolts plummeted, a faint noise coming from Rainbow Dash. Soarin looked between his friend and this new face, noting the shocked expression she wore. He finally clamped his jaw shut, clearing his throat. “Excuse me. I don’t think we’ve met!” He started, extending his hoof. “My name’s Soarin. What’s yours?”

The tall stallion retreated his foreleg from the mare, holding it out to meet Soarin’s hoof. “The name is Zephyr Breeze, and it’s good to meet you!” He said, looking at Rainbow out of the corner of his eye. “Rainbows and me go way back! Ever since she and my sister got to be friends!”

Soarin squinted his eyes, leaning in. “And your sister is…”

“Fluttershy, of course!” Zephyr exclaimed. “Can’t you see the family resemblance? Though, I can’t say I blame you. My dazzling good looks tend to make ponies like Flutter-butter turn all invisible and stuff. Isn’t that right, Rainbows?”

“Uh… Yeah, Zeph… Something like that…” Rainbow droned, trying to inch away. “Um… if you’ll excuse me… I need to--”

Zephyr pulled her back in, holding her close. “Oh you don’t have to be so shy, Rainbows! Just let it flow naturally! I know how you feel already!”

Rainbow pulled her head out of Zephyr’s fur, looking pleadingly at Soarin. He recoiled at the sight, but approached the blue ponies. “Hey, Rainbow Dash, don’t we have to go through some practice runs for the event?” He held out his hoof, which Rainbow grasped with her wing. “We should…” he pulled, giving off a grunt. “... get to that…” He pulled again, Rainbow adding her own effort to the mix. “... right…” With one final yank, Rainbow was pulled free of the Breeze. “... away!” The two Wonderbolts fell to the clouds with Soarin on his back and Rainbow leaning over him, looking down at him. He looked at her with a nervous laugh and a flushed muzzle. “Don’t you think?”

Rainbow pulled her bangs out of her face, lingering for a moment. “Uh… yeah!” She shook herself free of her trance, sitting up. “I’ll go get Fluttershy!” She spread her wings, rocketing off towards the yellow mare.

Soarin slowly stood up, brushing himself off with his wing. “Right behind you!” he called, following along while Zephyr sent a scowl in his direction.


“Was it really that bad?” Fluttershy asked, flying with Rainbow and Soarin to a practice field situated on a nearby cliff.

“It was worse!” Rainbow exclaimed, spreading her forelegs. “He seriously refused to let go of me! I’m used to him being embarrassingly flirty, but this was at a whole other level!” She looked to Soarin. “I’m just glad you were there to…” she snickered to herself. “... pull me out.” The two Wonderbolts started into light laughter, Fluttershy twisting to fly above them.

“Oh, my…” she whispered, noting the atmosphere. “You two have certainly gotten close, haven’t you?” no response came from the stunt flyers, continuing on into a conversation. Fluttershy giggled to herself, swooping down to the field prematurely.

Rainbow and Soarin flew on for several minutes, talking about a number of subjects. All the while, a yellow and pink streak shot back and forth between the city on the clouds and their destination, completely unnoticed by the pair. She had just finished regaling her fellow Wonderbolt about her favorite book series, and heroine, Daring Do, when she took a look around. “Hey, have you seen Fluttershy? I coulda sworn she was with us!”

As if to answer her question, a soprano melody soared by on the wind, accompanied by the singing of a number of birds. Fluttershy sat on a picnic blanket, surrounded by animals with a fully-stocked basket next to her. She sang a soft, but happy tune as the birds whistled and chirped with her. As Rainbow and Soarin landed, her song stopped. She opened her eyes and looked at them with a smile. “Oh! You’re here!”

Rainbow looked around, astonished by the sudden animal presence and the picnic. “How did you…?”

“You mean you didn’t notice? I’ve been going back and forth with my little bird friends to gather everything!” The caretaker explained, holding up her hoof to have a bird land on it and chirp to her. “Why, yes! It was difficult to get all of this here so quickly! Thank you ever-so-much for all of your help, Mr. Bird!” She nuzzled the bird, letting it fly off. “I thought that, since you were mostly just trying to get away from my brother, it would be nice if we had some lunch before we practice!”

Soarin took a look at the basket, taking a peek inside. “Really? Thanks, Fluttershy!” He sat on one corner of the blanket, sifting around inside to see what all was available.

Rainbow sat on another corner, looking at her fellow flyers. “This is all pretty sudden. You sure you wanna have a picnic when we should be flying?”

Fluttershy nodded, taking a sandwich out of the basket and passing it to her friend. “Absolutely! We need to keep our energy up, anyway.”

Rainbow Dash looked at her sandwich, wincing as a rumble came from her belly. “Okay, fine. I’ll have some!”

“How wonderful!” Fluttershy reached into the basket again and laying out a sizable spread. “I hope you enjoy it!” She reached for a nearby piece of fruit when another bird flew up to her, chirping into her ear. “What? Oh, that’s just awful! I’ll be right there!” She got up, looking between her companions. “I’m sorry, but I need to get going right away! This little birdie’s chicks have fallen from their nest and need my help as soon as possible!” She stepped off the blanket, looking back at them with a sly grin. “I’m afraid I’ll have to leave the two of you all alone…” she ran past a bush, turning back and poking her head out. “... with this picnic…” she turned and smiled back once more. “... Alone. Bye!” She flew off, leaving the two on their own.

Soarin swallowed his latest morsel, looking at the exiting Pegasus. “Wait… did she just set all of this… just to…?”

Rainbow Dash smirked, taking a bite of her own and scooting closer to Soarin. “Yeah, I think she did. Might as well make sure all this doesn’t go to waste, right?”

The white stallion let a goofy grin appear as he scooted closer in turn. “You’re right about that! Let’s go for it!”

Author's Note:

What do you call Fluttershy when she's being devious or clever?
...
Fluttersly.
:yay:

PreviousChapters Next