• Published 17th Feb 2018
  • 2,515 Views, 80 Comments

One Bolt, Moving Forward - Boltsinger



When ponies' lives change, it can be jarring. Some find it hard to accept, while others want the same for themselves. Through all of it, there are always new lessons to be learned.

  • ...
5
 80
 2,515

PreviousChapters Next
His First Mission

Twilight sat in the throne room with Spike, enjoying a good book she hadn’t read in years. Spike was nestled up with her in the throne, listening as she read aloud. She went from page to page, the words acting like a lullaby to the young dragon. She came to the end of the chapter, marking her book and putting it aside as the reptile next to her began snoring.

“Out like a light.” she said, kissing him lightly on the forehead. She lit up her horn, lifting Spike into the air and moving him to his room, where she tucked him in and turned off his light. She passed the door to the balcony, where Boltsinger was making a landing. He inhaled sharply to announce his return like always, but found himself shushed with a single feather on his wife’s wing. “Shhh…”

Boltsinger looked behind her, his ears picking up the sounds of snoring. “Ah. Spike asleep?” Twilight gave a relaxed nod, continuing her journey. The stallion caught up, trotting beside the noticeably pregnant mare and thinking for a moment. “You know, I think I finally understand why you’re so confident in your ability as a mom.”

An intrigued Princess glanced her Prince’s way. “Oh? And why is that?”

“Spike.” he told her. Twilight tilted her head away from him, as if brushing off the statement. “You raised him. Therefore, you have experience.” He widened the gap between the two of them as he walked. “All I’ve got is an electric shock, uncle notes, and a few bad jokes..”

“I wouldn’t say that.” Twilight argued. “You have a lot to offer!”

“Such as…?”

Twilight smiled examining her favorite stallion extensively. “You have a strong voice, good morals, a glowing Cutie Mark…” she paused, stopping in her tracks. “Wait… glowing Cutie Mark?” she looked more closely at her husband’s flank, where a light shone repeatedly, smaller versions of the mark coming out of it from all sides. An ecstatic gasp quickly escaped her lips as she brought her hooves up to her cheeks. “Ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh! You’re being summoned by the map!” She sprang into the air, prancing around him and laughing excitedly.


Twilight looked at Boltsinger’s Cutie Mark. It was glowing. She looked at Rarity’s Cutie Mark. That was glowing, too. Then she looked at her own Cutie Mark. Not even a little sparkle. She plopped her head down on the map, where Boltsinger and Rarity’s marks circled the town of Vanhoover. Boltsinger was writing a letter, his sight lingering on the town he once called home with a hint of confusion and uncertainty in his gaze.

Rarity stepped up next to her royal friend. “Oh, darling, I know you wanted to go, too.”

Twilight let out an exasperated sigh. “I wanted to be there to help Bolt out on his first friendship mission… But, I guess that’s just how the map works.”

Boltsinger stood up from his chair, tucking a letter under his wing as he joined the mares. “You know, you could come with us, anyway.” He told her, putting his wing around the lilac pony. “I mean, we have family in town. Plus, you could still give me advice!” He looked back at the map, his weak smile making its triumphant return. “I dunno why the map would even call me, let alone send me there. I could use all the help I can get...”

“Why does it surprise you that the map summoned you?” Rarity wondered, turning her vision towards the floating marks. “You’ve certainly earned your place here, it only makes sense that the map would acknowledge that.”

“But what if it’s malfunctioning? I mean, Twilight’s magic and my magic have mixed before! Maybe it means to call her, but it shows my mark instead!” He brought his wings forward. “I mean, every other time my talents are needed somewhere, these things take initiative and take me straight there. Why not this time?”

“Darling, I can’t even remember how many times we’ve been called someplace by the map and not even come close to needing to use our talents!” Rarity stated.

At Rarity’s words, Twilight brought a hoof to her muzzle, floating forward an abacus, quill, and parchment. “Well, aside from the three times all six of us have been summoned, each of us has been called in pairs with another Element-bearer twice. I’ve been called twice by myself, and Starlight has been called twice. Once by herself, and once with Applejack.” She had her nose buried in the sudden work, writing and computing furiously. “So… carry the four… Oh! Can’t forget Spike getting called to Ponyville for the problem he inadvertently created between Ember and Thorax! Let’s see… Oh yes! The CMC’s trip to Vanhoover, too… That’s fifteen total missions! And you, Rarity, have been on exactly five of them!”

Rarity looked at Twilight, utterly aghast. “Really? I’ve only been called five times?”

“Six, now that you’ve been called with Bolt.” She corrected.

“Either way, I’m not so sure… But, I guess I don’t have a choice.” Boltsinger started, looking at his Cutie Mark. “I’m the one with a glowing butt, after all… But why did it have to be in Vanhoover…?”

“Well, there’s only one way to find out, dear.” Rarity advised, heading for the door. “And that is to go and accomplish our mission!” She glanced over at Twilight. “And, you know, it would be simply resplendent if you and Spike would join us!” Twilight pondered the offer, a smile coming to her muzzle.


Knocking came to the door of a Vanhoover home. Brightling trudged through the house, coming to see who it was. As he opened the door, he found a small, purple dragon.

“And you are…?” he asked, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

“Spike!” The reptile replied, holding out a claw. “Nice to officially meet you, Brightling!”

The yellow stallion loosely gripped the outstretched claw with his wing, yawning into the other one. “Yeah, that’s nice… Doesn’t answer my question, though…”

“He’s my assistant!” Twilight called, coming into view with her personal guard behind her. “I’m pretty sure you saw him at the wedding.”

Brightling perked up at the familiar voice, leaning in to take a closer look at Spike. “Oh yeah, you were one of the non-ponies in Bolt’s half of the wedding party… Good to meet you, too. You’re the one who sent that letter from Bolt, right?” Spike crossed his arms, nodding proudly. Brightling poked his head out of the door, looking around. “So, where is Bolt?”

“He’s off with Rarity, looking for whoever might need their help.” Twilight explained. “We came along to visit.”

“Well, there isn’t much to visit.” he told her, turning around with a yawn and beckoning the guests inside. “Sparks is out helping some new friend she made, and I’ve got work.”

“What about Oathsinger?” the Princess inquired, an idea flashing into her head. “Do you need someone to take care of him?”

Brightling poured a cup of coffee, already brightening up. “Sweet Pear was going to come over. Why?”

“Well, Spike and I could look after him, if you want.” she suggested, moving to the stairs. “Since we’re here, and all.”

Brightling looked at Twilight with a mixture of surprise and intrigue. “Well, you do know how to handle foals… I bet you handle Princess Flurry Heart even better than Bolt can.” He took a sip of his beverage, coming out of it with a smile. “Okay. I’ll tell Sweet on the way to work. In the meantime, I think I’ll make a list of things to keep in mind for Oathsinger.”

“Like a checklist?” Twilight asked, her eyes brightening up. “That would be--” She stopped herself, looking back at Spike. “Actually… I’m not sure just how necessary that will be. I’ve got experience with babies, after all!”

Brightling smirked, pulling down a pen and paper. “That’s all well and good, but I’d feel better if you had something to fall back on.” He began writing, unrolling more and more paper as he went. Eventually, there was so much list that the parchment partially fell off of the table. “And… Yeah, this should be enough. If you find yourself stumped, look at this. Oathsinger is a wing-full, but nothing a Princess can’t handle, right?”

“Right!” She affirmed, magically rolling up the list and passing it off to Spike. “We’ve got this covered!”


“So, we’re supposed to just ‘go with the flow', huh?” Boltsinger asked.

“We are, indeed!” Rarity answered. “That’s how it’s worked every time, so far.”

“Okay. Did the flow include this?” The stallion pointed to himself. He was wearing a loose-fitting, black hooded jacket with electric blue stripes down the sleeves, a pair of dark blue pants hugging his hindquarters. He wore a pair of dark sunglasses, more to hide his eyes than to protect them. His tail had been hastily brushed, and extended out to nearly its full length, and his wings poked through improvised holes in his jacket. Both ponies had saddlebags hanging from their backs as they went.

“You told me that ponies in this town didn’t like you, so I made do with what I had!” She explained. “You’re lucky I brought enough fabric with me to make something this good on such short notice!”

“I guess…” They continued walking for a while, Boltsinger looking around at the various ponies, while Rarity took in as many sights as her greedy eyes could find. After a time, Rarity let out a gasp. Boltsinger snapped his head in her direction, trying to figure out what she saw. “What’s going on? Is everything okay?”

“That mural! Why, it’s so… so… Breathtaking!!!” she told him, pointing her hoof at a wall mural. It showed an image of a deep blue bat pony stallion with eyes glowing almost white with a cyan outline. Wrapped in his reddish brown tail was a spear, pointed in the same direction the pony was looking. His wings were flared and his fangs were bared, ice spikes forming on all sides of him to face still an unseen enemy. Surrounding him further was a wash of color, mixing and weaving in such a way as to dazzle onlookers into a trance. Much like the fashionista feasting her eyes on the painting. “The color… The intensity! The handsome stallion! Oh, we simply must find the artist responsible and commend them on their exquisite work!”

“We'll, it’s certainly pretty.” he agreed, turning to Rarity. “But how would we track down the artist?”

“It’s quite simple, my dear Bolt!” She announced, pointing again at the image. Her hoof was directed at the lower right corner of the mural, where a picture of a white quill leaving a trail of fire instead of ink made itself known. “We simply have to track down the pony with that Cutie Mark!”

Boltsinger followed his friend’s hoof, only just barely able to make out the image. “How in Celestia’s name did you notice that from so far away?”

Rarity puffed out her chest, wobbling her head pridefully. “Why, it’s all about the specifics! Attention to detail is the tool of the trade…”

“For the great detective, Shadow Spade!” Boltsinger excitedly finished, jumping into the air with a cheer. “I love those books!” He landed with a wide grin. “You must have really studied her methods, then!”

“Boltsinger, have I ever told you of the time Rainbow Dash got framed for a crime she didn’t commit?” she asked, walking towards town. Boltsinger shook his head, following her. “Well, we were in Canterlot…” she told him the story of when Wind Rider had framed the then-reservist Rainbow Dash for sending Spitfire away under false pretenses, not leaving out a single detail as she looked around at the townsponies. There were a number of generic Cutie Marks, but nothing containing anything resembling a quill and fire. She pursed her lips and narrowed her eyes. Clearly, this was going to take a closer look. She walked up to a nearby mare, tapping her ever-so-lightly on the shoulder. The two got into a conversation about the local fashions, going on for several minutes until the couturier led the discussion in the direction of who they sought. She returned to her friend in disguise. “We’re looking for a pony named Ink Rider!”

Boltsinger gave her a dignified nod. “Impressive.” He turned to walk with her. “But… We could have just asked somepony first.”

Rarity rubbed her neck, looking to the side. “Yes, well, we got the information we needed! Her home is this way!” She walked ahead, pointing dramatically with her foreleg.

The stallion chuckled into his wing, following his fashionable friend on their way to their destination. They soon came upon a bright blue house with a red roof, various colors scattered throughout the paint job. “How did we not find this place earlier?”

“It certainly does stand out, doesn’t it?” Rarity affirmed. “Well, then, shall we?”

Boltsinger took a bow, gesturing to the door. “Ladies first.” Rarity bowed in return and went to the door, delicately knocking at the front door.

From inside, Rarity could hear the thumping of rapid hoofsteps scrambling for the door. There was a faint muffled voice coming from farther inside, followed by a louder one just on the other side of the door. She couldn’t make out what they said, but she could tell there was a bit of friction between the two of them. At last a cyan magical field surrounded the doorknob, opening wide to reveal a teal Unicorn colt with a slightly scruffy turquoise mane and tail. He had cyan eyes and a Cutie Mark of three ice cubes, each in one of the three primary colors. “Hello. What is it you need?”

“Ah! Hello. My name is Rarity, and I couldn’t help but notice a beautiful piece of artwork in town!” she started. The colt groaned and rolled his eyes, giving the mare pause. “... And I was told that the artist… lived… here…?”

The colt sighed, turning to look into the house. “Inky! You’ve got a fan!” he called, walking back into the house.

“All right, I’m coming!” a mare’s voice called back. As the colt disappeared into the house, a coal black mare stepped into view. She had a blood red mane and tail, parting her bangs in a mildly spiky fashion with a brown feather beaded into her mane. On her flank was the very Cutie Mark they had searched for.

“Ink Rider, I presume?” Rarity asked.

“And you’re… Rarity, yes?” the mare replied, holding out a hoof.

Rarity gave the artist a hoof bump, giggling to herself. “I see my reputation precedes me!”

“No, you introduced yourself to my brother. I just gathered from that.” she corrected. Rarity blushed a bit, averting her gaze. “But I have heard the name before, if that helps.”

“Well, I’m at least glad you know good fashion! And exceptional artwork!” she stated. “My friend and I just had to commend you on your work on that mural in town!”

“That’s just a character I created. It’s no big deal.” She looked back at the pony behind her guest, cocking an eyebrow. “Why is your friend wearing a disguise?”

Rarity looked back at him. “Disguise? What disguise? Why would he need a disguise?!” She rambled. “I just made him an outfit, and he simply enjoys wearing it! It’s not like he’s trying to hide his identity from the locals or anything!”

Ink Rider stepped out of the house, walking up to the orange pony. “Looks like he’s trying to do just that.” She narrowed her eyes, examining what she could see of him. “So, who are you, anyway?”

“Nopony important. Just a friend of Rarity’s.” he half-lied, avoiding her gaze. “We’re… uh… here on official friendship business! You wouldn’t happen to have any friendship problems, would you?”

“Not that I can think of…” She followed his movements, getting a look at his coat and a small glimpse of his mane. “There’s something… familiar about you. Is this your first time in Vanhoover?”

“Nnope.” he admitted, backing up. “I’m mostly just here because of friendship business, though. You sure you don’t have a friendship problem?”

“I have one problem.” she told him. He looked her in the eye with a smile. “I just have to find out who you are!” She lit up her horn, pulling off his sunglasses and hood, revealing his purple eyes and blue mane. She looked at the new features, a hint of familiarity coming to her. “We went to the same school, didn’t we? You were one of the older colts… couldn’t fly, right?”

Boltsinger sighed, his eyebrows going low. “Eeyup.” He took a spot next to Rarity. “My name’s Boltsinger.”

“Oh!” She exclaimed, the name striking a chord. Memories of her foalhood came back to her, seeing an orange colt being made fun of on the playground. He was the only one in the whole school that had wings, so he stood out a lot. She remembered how he had disappeared after that big storm, and then the name came back to her. Her expression flattened, her eyes narrowing and her ears going low. “Oh… Well, I see why you need the disguise…” she pulled his hood back onto his head, shoving the sunglasses onto his nose as she turned back to the house. “Good luck finding your friendship problem!”

As Ink passed her, Rarity put a hoof on the mare’s shoulder. “Excuse me, I don’t quite see what the problem is.”

Ink looked back at the stallion aggressively. “Don’t you know who he is? That’s Boltsinger!”

“I know full well who he is.” She confirmed, smiling back at him. “He’s been a good friend of mine for a couple of years, now.”

Ink snapped her head to look at Rarity. “Then you clearly don’t know what he did!”

Rarity’s smile vanished entirely as she puffed out her chest, standing tall. “I know his history, and I know what you think he did! He has suffered enough from what happened that day. He doesn’t need you adding to his conscience!” She turned to Boltsinger in a huff, trotting over. “Come, now, Bolt. Clearly we won’t be finding our friendship problem here!”

Boltsinger took some tentative steps behind her, looking back at the house and attuning his ears. There were sounds of the occupants interacting normally, but the stallion could hear the familiar tone of a hidden resentment in the both of them. He put his hoof up to his chin, pondering on the situation. “I’m not entirely sure…” He looked forward, following behind Rarity. “Oh well, you’re the one with experience…”


Twilight and Spike stood next to a crib in the house’s nursery, a tiny white Unicorn sleeping soundly. Twilight had a relaxed and content look in her eyes. “He’s beautiful, isn’t he?”

Spike climbed up to get a peek. “Looks kinda squishy to me.” He looked up at Twilight. “Were you that squishy when you were a baby?”

Twilight sat down and thought about the question, drawing a blank. “I don’t know. It’s been a long time since I saw my baby pictures.”

“Uh, Twilight? I think he’s waking up.” Spike informed her, pointing into the crib. Twilight looked at the baby bed, smiling as the little pony began stirring from his rest. He opened his eyes, spotting the faces looming over him. Twilight and Spike both smiled wide as the baby suddenly did the oppisite. “Is he supposed to do that?” Spike asked, his smile turning to a grimace.

With that, Oathsinger burst into tears, wailing at the top of his tiny lungs. Twilight and Spike covered their ears as the crying grew progressively louder, shaking the room. “How is one little baby this loud?!” The Alicorn asked, putting her wingtips into her ears and standing up. She reached into the crib, picking up the flailing infant. “I don’t even think Flurry was this loud at this age!” She gently shushed the baby, slowly rocking him. “Quick, Spike, what do Brightling’s instructions say about this?”

Spike ran to the corner of the room, pulling a parchment from the changing table. “Uh… Let’s see… It says that after a nap, there are two things he’s likely to need. The first is food, and the second is… well…” He took a quick inhale through his nostrils, immediately regretting it as his entire body tensed up. “I… think he needs a diaper change…” he concluded, falling over like a board.

Twilight brought her head close to Oathsinger, taking a whiff of her own. Suspicions were confirmed instantly as the Alicorn’s entire body shivered. “Okay, we’ve got this!” She declared, setting him on the changing table. She lit up her horn, bringing out everything needed for a diaper change. They slowly floated towards her, stopping all motion in the center of the room. “Oh no…” The aura around her horn began to flicker. “Not now…” her magic fizzled out entirely, sending the objects falling to the floor.

“I GOT IT!!!” Spike shouted, diving to the floor with his arms outstretched. A cloud of baby powder formed, the young dragon sitting in the aftermath with a nearly white body and a dejected look on his face. He got up and walked over to the changing table, putting the items on. “Here… I’m gonna go wash up…”

Twilight laughed at her dusty assistant, waving him off. “Thanks, Spike.” The dragon ran off to the bathroom, leaving the Princess with the baby. She smelled the air around him, scrunching her face and shaking her head. “Okay… So… Stinky diaper, no magic… I’ve... got this…” She internally cringed, holding her breath and proceeding with her task.


“No friendship problems here.” Rarity announced coming back from a conversation with many ponies. They had been going all over town, careful not to reveal Boltsinger’s identity as they asked as many ponies as possible whether or not they had friendship problems in need of solving. So far, no luck. “They did say that the mural Ink created has changed since since it was initially created. As if part of what we saw was added much more recently. But I don’t think they really have any problems that we should worry about.”

“You sure? What if the art was changed without Ink’s permission? She might have a problem with whoever did that.” he suggested, turning back towards their home.

“But she said she didn’t have a friendship problem.” The seamstress stressed. “Why don’t we just leave it at that? Besides, the way she treated you was--”

“Totally expected for anypony living in this town.” he deadpanned. “How they feel about me isn’t what’s important. It’s about helping ponies with problems. Even if they have a problem with us.”

Rarity looked back at the townsponies, thinking on what they might do if they saw her friend without his disguise, then sighed. “I… suppose you’re right. We can’t exactly spread friendship if we pass up the problems we don’t like, now can we?”

“Exactly.” He confirmed. “But first, I need to get out of this outfit. It’s nice but it gets stuffy.” Rarity nodded, making a note to create a more breathable version of the outfit for him when she had the time as they made their way back to the house where Ink lived.

Not much time later, an un-disguised Boltsinger approached the door to the artist’s colorful dwelling. He gave it a swift knock, quickly seeing the orange aura around the handle. It opened to reveal Ink Rider, a flat look on her face. “No.” The door quickly swung to close, but it was stopped by an outstretched wing followed by a cry of pain. “Why are you here? Didn’t you have to look for some friendship problem?”

“As a matter of fact, yes.” He confirmed, clenching his teeth to keep from crying out more. “That’s why we came back!”

Ink opened the door again, getting up in his face. “My only problem is that the most hated pony in town is insisting that I have a problem!”

“And that your art is being altered!” He added, rubbing his sore wing.

Ink’s eyes went wide. “My art is being what now?”

“Rarity was told that the mural we saw didn’t always look the way it does.” He clarified. “Do you know anyone who would change your artwork?”

Ink Rider’s eyes shifted towards the inside of the house. “I can think of somepony… Why are you so interested in helping me, anyway?”

“Well, the immediate reason is because a magical map table in the castle I live in made my Cutie Mark glow and told me I needed to come here with Rarity.” He started, gesturing to his flank with his hoof. At the mention of a castle and a map, Ink’s jaw dropped. “But, truth be told, I really do want to help keep friendship alive for anypony I can. Friendship saved me, made me who I am. I want to make sure it can help everyone else out there, too.”

“You… wait… You live in a castle?” she asked, looking completely bewildered. “But only Princesses live in castles!”

“And Princes.” Rarity corrected. “Much like the one standing before you!”

Ink’s face went from bewilderment to sheer disbelief. “Prince?” She poked his chest with her hoof. “You, of all ponies, are a Prince? What did you do? Marry a Princess?”

Boltsinger’s face flushed as he rubbed his neck with his hoof. “Princess Twilight, actually…”

Ink’s eyes widened some more, her head swaying back and forth. “You... Princess… TWILIGHT?! How…? But…” She groaned deliriously as she fell to the floor.

Boltsinger looked down at the fallen mare. “Ooh… That must have hurt…”

“Inky!!!” The colt from before shouted, rushing to his sister’s side. He knelt down, holding up her head. “Are you okay? Did these ponies do something to you?”

Rarity ran up to the collapsed pony, picking her up with her magic. “She just had a problem believing what we had to say. I’m sure she’ll be fine.”

Boltsinger examined the colt, paying particular attention to his Cutie Mark. “You wouldn’t happen to also be an artist, would you?”

The colt’s ears lowered. “I am… Why do you ask?”

“You wouldn’t happen to ‘help’ your sister from time to time, would you?” he wondered.

“Um… Define help.” he stated, looking back into the house and scratching his mane. “‘Cause I haven’t been adding a bunch of colors to all of her work without her permission, if that’s what you’re thinking!”

“I KNEW IT!” Ink screamed, jolting up from her unconsciousness and glaring at her brother. “Splotch! Why do you keep doing that stuff!”

The colt tensed up, backing into the house. “I dunno what you’re talking about! Anypony could have done that kind of thing!”

“Except you’re the only one who has the supplies to do it!” she stressed, getting up and following him.

Rarity and Boltsinger looked at each other, then back at the siblings. The Pegasus gave the Unicorn a sly expression, making her turn away. “Okay, you were right. They are the ones we’ve come to help!”

Ink’s ears turned back to the visitors, prompting her to look their way. “If you’re here to help, then help him stop messing with my work!”

Rarity smiled, strutting up to the colt. “I believe that can be arranged!” She smiled down at him, eliciting a weak smile and a nervous laugh.


Twilight exited the nursery with Oathsinger nestled in her wing, a green fog seeping out behind her. She let out a deep exhale, followed soon after by hyperventilation. “That… was… not as easy as I expected!”

Spike walked up, plugging his nose as he approached the room while waving a claw. “Oh, man! What kind of bomb went off here?”

“Changed the baby…” Twilight started, beginning to droop her head. “No magic…” she drooped further. “Had to do it…” Her horn touched the floor, heaving a little as she remembered what she had just experienced.. “With my mouth…” Spike reared back, cringing at the very idea. “So... much... stinky… But at least he’s not crying anymore!”

Oathsinger responded to his aunt’s comment with further house-shaking cries. He squirmed his way out of Twilight’s wing, landing on his hooves and galloping off. Spike put his claws on his hips, looking flatly at the Alicorn. “You were saying?”

Twilight made a playful mock of Spike’s words, nudging him with her elbow and making to chase the little pony. The baby weaved through the hallways, his knowledge of the house proving to be superior to that of his current foal-sitter. He looked back, catching the lilac pony galloping after him and lighting up his horn. Twilight skidded to a halt, reaching out to him. “Oathsinger, no… Anything but that!” The bawling baby shook his head, turning away and vanishing in a hazel light.

“You okay, Twilight?” Spike asked, walking up and placing his claw on her side.

“Do the instructions say anything about when he gets like this?” she queried.

Spike pulled out the list, scanning it until something caught his eye. “It says that he teleports, but always to one of three rooms!”

“Which ones?”

“The dining room, the living room, and his room!”

“Okay, you check in his room, and I’ll check the living room!” She commanded, darting down the hall. “We’ll look in the dining room together!”

Spike nodded, turning back to the room in which their adventure had begun. “Got it!”


“You’re what?!” Rarity exclaimed.

“Colorblind.” Splotch repeated. “It’s not that I only see in black and white, but it’s more that a lot of colors blur together for me. Like… Take the grass and the dirt road. What colors are they?”

Boltsinger took a look at the things the colt pointed out. “Grass is green, road is brown.” He answered.

Rarity gasped, looking dramatically at the stallion. “Excuse my interruption, Bolt, but, ‘green and brown’?” She put her hoof around him. “Just how much do you know about color?”

Boltsinger put his hoof to his chin. “Let’s see… Ah! Here’s a good example!” He pointed a hoof at his mane. “Blue.” He pointed at Rarity’s mane. “Purple.” He pointed at Ink’s mane. “Red.” lastly, his hoof pointed at Splotch’s mane. “And… um… green?”

Ink Rider and Splotch simultaneously facehoofed while Rarity gasped again. She raised a hoof to talk about all of the nuances he seemed to be oblivious of, but quickly calmed down. “It’s alright. I’ll help you correct your… grievous mistake… later. Splotch, if you would be so kind as to continue?”

The colt nodded politely at the couturier.“Thank you. Now, I know you’re right, but that’s not what I see.” Splotch continued. “I just see a bunch of brown.”

“But the colors you added to the mural were all so vibrant!” Rarity said, pointing to town. “It was a beautiful addition!”

“To a piece that was just fine as it was!” Ink added.

“Yes! I get it! It was perfect and you didn’t need anypony to add anything or get some recognition of his own because you’re the artist of the family!” He yelled, stomping his hoof. “I know just as much as you do about drawing, color, and all of that! I just can’t see it that well!”

At this point, Ink was fuming. “It’s not my fault that nopony wants to look at the stuff you make!” She jutted her head forward, taking an aggressive stance. “Maybe if you would learn to coordinate your colors more instead of just using every color under the sun in one image, you’d make something of your own that’s ACTUALLY WORTH SOMETHING!!!”

A moment of silence ensued. Ink was panting heavily, and Splotch had taken a step back, one foreleg raised as he looked, wide-eyed, at his older sister. Rarity and Boltsinger remained quiet, both of them unsure of what to do or say. At last, the colt took a deep breath, tears streaming down his face. “I tried that… And nothing turned out right! Nothing I make ever turns out right! Maybe if I could see things normally, I’d be able to do it… But I can’t… I just can’t!!!” He turned around, galloping out the door in tears.

Boltsinger looked out, then back at Rarity. “I’m gonna go talk to him.” he told her, going into a hover. “I know a thing or two about a challenge like his.”

Rarity gave a nod of agreement as her Pegasus friend flew away. “So… Did you happen to see his contribution to your mural?”

“Can’t say I have.” she replied, stepping curiously towards the door. “I thought it was painted over or washed away already.”

“It’s simply remarkable, to be honest. Come, see for yourself!” Rarity ignited her horn, pulling the black mare behind her.


The living room was empty. So was Oathsinger’s room. So there was one option left.

The dining room.

Twilight and Spike stepped into the room as carefully as possible, doing their best to not make a sudden noise. “Oathsinger…” the Princess whispered. “Where are you, Bug? Aunty Twily just wants to give you lunch!”

The small whimper of a baby pony was heard from somewhere in the room, bringing the Alicorn’s ears to attention. “That seemed to help…” Spike suggested. “What are you making for lunch?”

“Hmm… I don’t know…” she playfully mused, putting her hoof up to her chin. “If only somepony would come out of hiding to tell me what he wants!” The whimper turned into a giggle, bringing a smile to the mare’s muzzle. “And then, after lunch, we could go to the playground! Oh, but I’m sure Oathsinger would just hate to go to the playground, wouldn’t he?”

“We could always just go without him, you know!” Spike told her, spreading his arms. The giggle turned to a whine as the door to the cupboard magically opened. Oathsinger floated himself out, reaching for Twilight with a panicked look on his tiny face.

“There he is!” She cried, reaching out her foreleg and pulling the baby out of the air. She gave him a gentle kiss on the forehead, just beneath his horn. “You know we love you, don’t you, little guy?” Oathsinger nodded and reached for the refrigerator. “Now, what are we going to make for lunch?”


Boltsinger flew above the town, listening for the sound of Splotch’s voice. There were a number of voices speaking out in surprise or protest at his presence, but he quickly tuned it out, focusing intently on the task at hoof. He listened for a while longer, finally picking up a voice that wasn’t calling out in protest, and fixed his attention on it. He found himself in the playground of the school he went to as a colt, where the teal pony sat on one of the swings with his head hung low.

“Hey.” The stallion greeted, landing and taking a seat in the swing next to him.

“Aren’t you supposed to be in disguise or something?” Splotch asked, glaring tearfully at him.

“Meh. Ponies can say what they want.” He dismissed, swiping the air in front of him with his hoof. “I’m here to help you.”

Splotched eyed the older pony in disbelief. “Oh? What? You got a magic spell to take away my colorblindness?”

Boltsinger laughed, giving the colt a smile. “Sorry, kid, but I don’t exactly have a horn. Although…” he paused, thinking about the idea. “I bet between Twilight, Starlight, and Sunburst, they could probably come up with a spell to… Yeah, but I don’t think that would solve your real problem, would it?” He chuckled to himself. “Otherwise the map would have called Twilight here instead of me, huh?”

Splotch’s disbelief switched to confusion as he listened to the stallion. “I don’t have any idea what you’re talking about. If you can’t cure my eyes, then how in Equestria are you supposed to help me?”

“The way I see it, you’re facing a challenge.” He began, turning his gaze forward. “There’s something you want to do that you can’t do right now.” He turned to look back at the colt. “What do you think that challenge is?”

“I want to make art that’s as good as Inky’s.” he answered, raising his head some. “But I can’t do that with these eyes of mine…”

“Maybe if you kept focusing on the ‘can’t’ part, that would be true.” Boltsinger brought the tip of hos tail to the ground, nudging himself back a bit on the swing. “I used to look at my wings and think ‘I can’t fly’ all the time. But now…” He made a strong flap of his wings, sending himself, and the swing, backwards at a rapid pace, swinging over the pole that held the two ponies up. “Now I can do that. After that, flying was easy.”

“And how did you do it?” Splotch asked. “Just flap your wings a bunch ever since you were little? It's not surprising that a Pegasus can fly. They start just about when they come into this world!”

“Most Pegasi, yes. Me? I just cried.” Boltsinger corrected. “A lot. Shook the whole house, according to Brightling.” He chortle softly to himself, then cleared his throat. “But, I digress. The thing that got me flying was hard work, determination, and a lot of help from a pony who cared about me. And when I first flew entirely under my own power, it was the best feeling ever!” He thought back to his first time flying with his parents, taking a reverent breath. “It was back then that I first learned that nothing worth doing in this world is ever easy. But overcoming that challenge will always make you come out of it a better pony.”

“Wow… So, what does that mean for me?” Splotch wondered. “It’s not like I can just work on seeing better.

“Well, maybe it’s not me you should be asking that question.” The stallion suggested, standing up from his swing. “You want your art to be as good as your sister’s. Who better to ask?”


“I want to ask him why he didn’t show me just what he did here…” Ink stated, staring at the mural she had painted with her brother’s color splotches framing it. “He didn’t change the artwork at all… He just… accentuated it!”

Rarity admired the image alongside her. “You see what I mean? My little sister, Sweetie Belle, used to always try to help me with my work, as well.”

Ink looked questionongly at Rarity, a curious smile coming to the forefront. “Oh? How did it turn out?”

“Let’s just say that fashion is not her gift!” She replied. The black and white mares enjoyed a laugh for a moment. “But it was the thought she put into it that mattered. I admit I had a teensey bit of resentment for it at the time, but we’ve been as close as can be ever since! All it took was a little compromise!”

“I guess you have a point… I shouldn’t have been so hard on him.” She affirmed, starting the walk home. “Him or your friend. It wasn’t fair.”

“If I know Boltsinger, he doesn’t really care about all that.” Rarity said, following suit. “Just focus on your brother for now, all right?”

“Okay.” Ink agreed. She went into a canter into town. “I bet I know where he went, too!”

Rarity matched Ink’s pace, the two mares making their way to the local school. Next to the swing set was an unmistakable orange stallion. He was talking with the very colt they were looking for, a far less distressed look on his face. Boltsinger’s ears snapped in their direction, turning his head to see them. He waved his wing, inviting them over.

“Just the mares we wanted to see!” Boltsinger greeted. “Splotch has something he’d like to say to his big sister.”

“Actually, I have something to say to him, first.” She interjected, stepping up to him. “Rarity showed me what you did to my-- No… Our mural.”

“‘Our’ mural?” the colt repeated.

“Yeah, Splotch. Our mural.” She confirmed. “Your additions, simple as they were, were beautiful. I can’t not give you credit for your efforts! And I’m sorry for what I said earlier. I was angry, and I wasn’t thinking very clearly.”

“But you weren’t wrong.” He told her, getting up from his swing. “My artwork has never been very good. I always wanted to do something like yours, but I could never really do it… That’s why I started putting my own touches on your pieces. That way ponies would look at something I did and see something beautiful, rather than a brown mess…” He brought his gaze to the ground, drawing a flawless circle in it with his hoof. “But Boltsinger had a point. I was avoiding my real challenge. Adding to your work was easy, but it wasn’t helping. I need to use your art as an example instead of a template.” He brought his head up, looking her in the eye. “And… I was thinking… Maybe you could help me out? I can only get better with your advice!”

Ink Rider lit up her horn, pulling the colt in and wrapping her forelegs around him. “Of course I’ll help! The more art we can make, the better!”

Rarity and Boltsinger smiled warmly at the siblings, giving one another a definitive hoof bump as a familiar chime emanated from their flanks. “Oh!” Twilight’s voice sounded from behind. “I see you two accomplished your mission!” The glowing ponies turned around, seeing Twilight smiling at them from behind Oathsinger’s stroller, Spike popping his head up from her back and Flash smiling from behind her.

Boltsinger beamed as the siblings came out of their hug. “Hey, honey!” He called, trotting over and giving her a hug. “How are Brightling and Sparks?”

Twilight looked down at the baby in the stroller with a soft smile. “Brightling had work and Sparks wasn’t home. So we’re taking care of this little Bug today!”

“He give you any trouble?” Boltsinger wondered, leaning in towards the tiny colt.

“No trouble at all!” Twilight hurriedly answered with a nervous laugh.

“Except when her magic shorted out and she had to do everything without it.” Spike deadpanned. “That diaper was something else!”

Twilight rolled her eyes. “I’ll admit, taking care of a baby without magic was a challenge. And I got a little overconfident in my abilities thanks to…” She eyed Spike with a smile. “Prior experience.”

“I don’t blame you!” Spike boasted, putting his claws on his hips. “You can’t go wrong with perfection!”

Twilight laughed, tussling the dragon’s spines with her wing. “Whatever you say, Mr. Perfect!” She drew her attention to the Unicorn siblings. “So, was the map confused, after all?”

The Pegasus shook his head happily. “Nnope. It seems it knew what it was doing!”

“You see? Next time, don’t be so quick to write yourself off.” The Princess proclaimed.

“Eeyup!” He knelt down by his nephew. “Now, if you’ll excuse me…” Oathsinger gleefully reached out, sticking his forehooves straight into his uncle’s nostrils as a pair of orange wings hoisted him into the air, where the two began running around the playground.

Ink Rider gave a wide-eyed look at the Princess before her, receiving a bright smile in return. Rarity trotted over and started conversing with her as if it were nothing, only intensifying her nervousness. Finally, after a brief conversation, Rarity beckoned the artist over. She shakily approached the Alicorn, giving the best bow she could. “So, Rarity tells me you’re an amazing artist!" Twilight started.

Ink’s ears went low, the words leaving her for a moment. “Sh-She does?”

“Oh, absolutely!” Rarity declared. “There was something about that stallion that just…” She shuddered slightly, licking her lips. Twilight looked slyly at her fashion-forward friend, prompting a blush as Rarity immediately straightened herself up. “Oh, my! Sorry for that…”

Twilight laughed, looking back at Ink. “Okay. Now I need to hear more!”

Ink Rider smirked, putting a foreleg on each mare’s shoulder and huddling up. “Okay, so…”

Author's Note:

Wow. Wasn't expecting this to be so long, but I guess that's what happens when you include the B-story in the chapter instead of doing it "Brotherhooves Social" style. It was fun to write, and things still ended up kind of writing themselves, too!

PreviousChapters Next