• Published 12th Feb 2018
  • 6,606 Views, 208 Comments

In the Days That Followed - shallow15



Sunset Shimmer and her friends try to get their lives back to normal following the events of "Repercussions."

  • ...
5
 208
 6,606

Monday Meeting

“Thank you for coming in early this morning, girls,” said Principal Celestia. She was seated at the head of the school office's conference table. Luna sat next to her. Sunset and her friends had taken seats on each side.

“Sunset, how did it go with Firecracker's parents?”

“As well as it could, I guess,” Sunset sighed. “Firecracker's parents agreed to the plan. She's been reported as a runaway. We're going to put up flyers after school today.”

The principal and vice-principal exchanged a glance. “And what about the long term?” Luna asked.

“We honestly don't know,” Twilight answered. “We're hoping we can come up with something in the next couple of weeks.”

“We'll see what we can do from our end.” Celestia slid a folder in front of her and opened it. “However, it appears that everything that happened last week has gained the attention of the government.”

Pinkie gasped. “Are they sending a covert and borderline illegal special ops team bristling with guns to come arrest us all and we'll be hauled off to a secret research facility and subjected to horrible experiments and eventual forced military servitude until Princess Twilight finds out what's going on and that causes a huge cross-dimensional incident resulting in an all out war between ponies and humanity turning Canterlot City into a huge magical battlefield and Sunset Shimmer has to have a soul searching internal debate on where her allegiances lie and eventually sacrifices herself to stop both sides from destroying each other and we all get really, really sad and build a statue to her in place of the Wondercolt statue Twilight destroyed as an eternal monument to her bravery and commitment to friendship?!”

The others in the room stared at her. Pinkie blinked.

“Wait? That isn't what's going to happen?” she said, perplexed. “That's weird.”

“You expected me to become a martyr to stop a war?” Sunset asked, frowning.

“Well, you know, angst gets attention.”

“Anyway,” Celestia said, eager to change the subject. She handed out copies of the papers in the file to the girls. “The Specialized Taskforce Overseeing Remarkable Matters has sent their best operative to investigate. She's tried to contact both myself and City Hall several times. So far, we've managed to dodge her, but eventually we're going to have to talk to her.”

“Uh, Principal Celestia?” Applejack raised a hand. “How did y'all manage to get all this information? Seems like this ain't the kinda info you can get from the library or online.”

“We have... sources outside the normal channels,” Luna explained. “It's best for you if we don't go into any more detail than that.”

Applejack quirked an eyebrow at the statement, but let the matter lie. Across the table, Rarity picked up a paper. On it was a grainy black and white picture of a stern looking woman with a shaved head, save for fringe of hair that sprouted along the center of her skull and flopped over an eye marked with a nasty looking scar.

“She certainly looks formidable,” she said. “Who is she?”

“Agent Tempest Shadow,” Luna replied. “She's currently STORM's most successful field agent.”

“For a given value of 'successful,'” Celestia added. “From what we've been able to find out, usually where she goes, a lot of collateral damage follows. She's effective, but dangerous.”

“And she gunning for us,” Rainbow said. She slumped back in her chair. “Great.”

“The good news is we're fairly certain she doesn't know who you are.” Celestia said, not knowing how wrong she was. “The only footage of you girls that anyone's seen from last week is the security footage from the mall.”

“But she's sure to look at that during her investigation,” Rarity protested. “At the very least she'll know what me, Rainbow, and Twilight look like.”

“That's true,” Celestia conceded.

Sunset, who had been thinking quietly during the conversation, looked up. “There's only one option then. Until Tempest Shadow leaves town, we're going to have to stop using our magic.”

“Are you crazy?” Rainbow snapped. “If she comes after us, we'll need all the help we can get!”

“Then you might as well just hand yourself right over to her at the first encounter!” Rarity leaned forward. “Sunset's right. Any use of magic is just going to give her more evidence to use against us. It's probably a good idea to keep our geodes hidden as well.”

“Is that going to work though?” Fluttershy asked. “Our magic originally started working at Camp Everfree before we found the geodes. Wouldn't not using them mean our powers could randomly flare up like they did back then?”

“Possibly not,” said Twilight. “Ever since we've had the geodes, our powers seem to have become channeled through them. If you recall, Sunset couldn't use her magic when we were trying to find out who stole the props from the Daring Do set because she hadn't brought her geode with her. It may be that now that the magic has a vessel, it can't be used any other way.”

Twilight took her geode necklace off and set it aside. She raised her hands and attempted to lift the papers in front of her with her telekinesis. Nothing happened. She frowned and concentrated harder. The papers on the desk still refused to move. Twilight put the necklace back on and repeated the process. The papers became bathed in a magenta glow and stacked themselves neatly in front of her.

“Looks like Twilight's right,” said Applejack. “No geodes, no magic. Seems like the best thing to do until all this blows over.”

There was agreement from around the table, with the exception of Rainbow Dash.

“I still say it's a bad idea. What if somebody else comes in contact with the rogue magic that's been floating around? We're gonna need our powers to stop it.”

Sunset sighed. “If that happens, then we'll deal with it then. But otherwise, no magic. We just can't risk it right now.”

Rainbow groaned. “Oh, all right. But I reserve the right to say 'I told you so' if this all goes sideways.”

“We'll do our best to keep Agent Shadow away from you,” said Celestia.

“And if we absolutely must let her talk with you, I recommend you coming up with some sort of cover story for everything that's happened so far,” Luna added.

Fluttershy looked back at the papers in front of her. “I hope this works. She doesn't look like someone you want to be on the wrong side of.”