• Published 12th Feb 2018
  • 6,594 Views, 208 Comments

In the Days That Followed - shallow15



Sunset Shimmer and her friends try to get their lives back to normal following the events of "Repercussions."

  • ...
5
 208
 6,594

Unfinished Business I

Sunset was brushing her teeth when the knocking came. She walked out of the bathroom, still wrapped in the towel she had put on after her shower and went to her front door. She opened it a crack and her eyes widened when she saw Twilight Sparkle on the other side.

Twilight raised a hand in greeting. “Hello, Sunset.”

Sunset stepped back and opened the door. “Twilifghtm!” she sputtered around the toothbrush still in her mouth. She looked down at it, going cross-eyed, then rolled her eyes in annoyance. She gestured for Twilight to come in, closed the door when her friend came in, and dashed back to the bathroom to spit out the toothpaste foam in her mouth. She returned a minute later, brushing out her hair.

“Sorry about that,” she apologized. “I wasn't expecting you until later.”

“I know.” Twilight sat down on the couch. She looked at Sunset and blushed. “Um, your towel's slipping.”

Sunset blinked and looked down. Sure enough, the towel was beginning to loosen around her chest. She let out another sigh of annoyance. “Just a sec. Let me get dressed.”

She dashed up the stairs to the loft and returned a few minutes later in her usual blue top and jeans. She was carrying her boots in her hand. She put them down at the bottom of the stairs and walked over to the couch and sat down.

“So what's going on? Did Gardenia change the plan?”

“No,” Twilight answered. “I needed to talk to you.”

Sunset said nothing, but looked at Twilight with anxiety on her face. Here it comes.

Twilight sighed. “What you did to Gardenia, even if you didn't intend for it to happen, is something that I find morally repugnant, Sunset.”

“I know,” Sunset said quietly.

“It made me wonder if it outweighed everything you've done to change since the Fall Formal. In fact, for a while, I wondered if we should have even tried to revive you while you were in the coma.”

Sunset put a hand to her face in shock. She felt her stomach lurch. Twilight had become one of her closest friends since the Friendship Games, and the revelation that she had these kind of thoughts while Sunset had been out of commission made her heart ache.

“Twilight, I... I don't know what to say. I don't know if there's anything I can say.”

Twilight gave her a sad smile. “You don't have to say anything. The rest of the girls showed me I was being ridiculous.”

She reached forward and took Sunset's hands. “Of course you've changed. Of course you've tried to make up for everything you did before. And you've come so far.”

Twilight sniffled and she wiped her eyes under her glasses. She looked at Sunset, who was looking away from her, ashamed.

“I asked someone their advice yesterday and they helped me realize something.” Twilight reached out and gently touched Sunset's face, causing the other girl to turn her head back to face her. Twilight smiled. “I forgive you too, Sunset, and I'm sorry I lost faith in you. You're my best friend, and I don't want to lose you. Can you please forgive me for doubting you?”

Sunset stared at Twilight for a moment. Her eyes began to water. She shot forward and embraced her friend.

“Of course I forgive you!” she sobbed. “I'm so sorry! I didn't think to tell you because I thought it wouldn't – “

“I know,” Twilight whispered, her own tears flowing. “None of us expected what happened. I'm still your friend, and I always will be.”

“And I'll always be your friend too,” Sunset replied. The two hugged each other tightly, then broke apart. Sunset got up and went to her desk, retrieving a box of tissues. She and Twilight wiped their eyes and blew their noses. Sunset smiled again.

“Thank you,” she said. “For not giving up on me. I don't know what I would have done if you had.”

“Me either. I'm just glad that we won't have to find out.” Twilight wiped her nose again and sat up on the couch. “So, now what?”

Sunset grabbed the used tissues and took them to the wastebasket at her desk. She glanced over at the clock on her microwave. “Pinkie said she'd be here to pick us up around noon. We've still got a couple of hours. Wanna get some breakfast?”

“Yes, please!” Twilight stood up. “I wasn't sure how this was going to go, so I skipped it this morning. I could devour a horse!”

Sunset folded her arms and gave Twilight a look. “Seriously?”

Twilight blushed and giggled nervously. “Um... heheh... no offense?”

Sunset let out a laugh in spite of herself. “None taken. Let's go feed you before you resort to cannibalism.”