• Published 26th Dec 2017
  • 8,160 Views, 1,270 Comments

Little Choices - Skijarama



The timeline has changed. Now, Twilight Sparkle, Rainbow Dash and their new friends must face the unknown together...

  • ...
15
 1,270
 8,160

PreviousChapters Next
A New Path

Twilight returned sometime later, not sure what to feel. As she came back into the clearing where everypony else was waiting, she noticed that Fluttershy had come back, but Applejack, Spike and Rainbow Dash were nowhere to be seen. Rarity was busy sorting the contents of her saddlebags, humming and muttering to herself while trying to figure out what the best sorting scheme was for all of the big leaves and fibers. Pinkie Pie was looking bored and also a little anxious, shifting in place on her haunches, with her back resting against a tree. Fluttershy stood roughly in the center of the clearing with a bird resting on one of her hooves, which was lifted up in front of her face so they could communicate more easily.

“Where did Spike, Applejack, and Dash go?” Twilight asked with a slight edge to her voice when she spoke Rainbow’s name. She inwardly flinched at the venom in her words.

Pinkie hopped up, eager to do something. “Oh, Dashie said she wanted to take care of something. Applejack went with her to make sure she didn’t try to do anything as she said, ‘darn stupid,’ and Spike went with them, too,” she said with a small smile. That smile fell away when she looked off, presumably in the direction they had gone. “I… think he’s taking what’s going on a bit harder than the rest of us.”

Keep telling yourself that, Twilight thought regretfully before nodding. “Okay. How long have they been gone?” she asked vocally, approaching Fluttershy, who let the bird go into the air while turning to face her.

“They left just after I got back, so a little longer than you were gone,” she said before looking down and poking at the dirt with a hoof. “Um… I talked to some of the local critters. Apparently, Hollow Shades isn’t very far away.”

“Hollow Shades?” Rarity asked with a raised eyebrow. “Isn’t that the village founded by the, er, what were they called? Bat Ponies?”

“That’s a common nickname for them,” Twilight corrected with a nod at the fashionista. “But they’re actually called ‘Thestrals.’ They’re a reclusive bunch, usually keeping to themselves most of the time. There are a lot of negative stigmas directed towards them, too, sadly. Rumors and baseless assumptions, mostly. The only one that’s true is that Thestrals are typically nocturnal.”

“I bet that earned them brownie points after Nightmare Moon first showed up, huh?” Pinkie asked sarcastically before shaking her head.

“Yeah… Still, there were one or two that lived in Canterlot before Rainbow and I moved to Ponyville. I don’t know if they still live there or not, though,” Twilight furthered. “How far away is Hollow Shades, Fluttershy? For one thing, we need a doctor for Rainbow, not to mention we should probably get in touch with Celestia. My writing supplies were all ruined when we left the train, and I can't guarantee that something other than parchment will be legible if we send it through Spike. If the town is close, maybe we can make it there before it gets dark.”

“Ah wouldn’t count on it!” came the voice of Applejack as she and Spike came cantering back into the clearing from the foliage beyond. “It’ll be about twenty-four hours from here, give or take a few dependin' on weather and the like. If it were only one pony tryin' this trip with good preparations and no stops, they'd make it in just over twelve Ah reckon. But we're six mares and a dragon, we're sorely lackin' in supplies and preparations, and one of us is injured.”

“Wonderful,” Rarity breathed out sarcastically. “an entire day of walking through dirt, muck and other nasty substances while being surrounded by who knows what kinds of creatures.”

“It doesn’t help that we’re going to be in a Primal Zone,” Twilight furthered before biting her lip. “The regions between towns and cities often have routine patrols from each town’s weather teams, but Hollow Shades doesn’t have any railroads or major highways connecting it to the rest of Equestria. Until we’re actually there, we’re in primal territory.”

“Um, girls?” Fluttershy piped up, glancing past Applejack quizzically. “Where’s Rainbow Dash?”

Applejack looked back over her shoulder and frowned. “Quit yer hidin’ and get over here, Rainbow Dash!”

There was a slight rustling of leaves before Rainbow Dash slowly stepped out of the brush, eyes turned to look at the ground beneath her hooves. Everypony’s eyes widened, save for Applejack and Spike’s. Rainbow’s mane and tail were dripping with water and, to the surprise of all, more or less back to normal. There were still several spots of lilac coloring in them, but beyond that, they had been restored to their usual prismatic selves.

Rainbow looked up and locked gazes with Twilight before wilting and looking away. “...Hey,” she mumbled quietly.

Twilight felt her heart break just a little. She took a deep breath before stepping forward. “Hey, Rainbow. You feeling okay?” she asked gingerly, managing to force down her own unhappiness with the pegasus for now.

“No,” Rainbow replied quietly, looking back down to the dirt and shivering slightly. Twilight then noticed the bandages wrapped around her barrel, keeping her wounded wing held in place.

“...Everything’s going to be fine, Rainbow,” Twilight offered her assurance lightly before turning to the rest of the group. “Come on, we should probably get a move on. If Hollow Shades is as far as Applejack says, we’d best start making our way there sooner rather than later.”

There was a general murmuring of an agreement, and everypony began packing up their things to move out. Twilight observed them for a moment before she felt a presence by her side. Looking, she saw Rainbow standing there, looking at her guiltily. More specifically, the bruise on her muzzle. “I… I’m sorry I hit you, Twilight…” she choked out before looking away.

“Is that all you’re sorry for?” Twilight asked bluntly, causing Rainbow to visibly twitch and cower away. Again, Twilight felt a spear of guilt for how harshly she had spoken. She took a deep breath and trotted past Rainbow, not wanting to hurt her anymore. She slipped on her own saddlebags, which had taken a significant beating in the escape from the train and mostly held a few notepads and quills for keeping track of their supplies.

Rainbow watched her go, her ears falling flat on her head before trudging after Twilight sluggishly. She couldn’t bring herself to speak anymore as the group set off on their new path into the woods.


That evening, in Canterlot Castle, Princess Luna stood upon the balcony connected to her bedroom, looking out onto the magnificent city spreading beneath her with a thoughtful look on her face. It would not be long, now, before it was time to raise the moon to begin the night. She was simply waiting for her older sister to lower the sun. As she took in the view, she took a deep breath. She needed to enter the Dream Realm tonight. She had neglected to do so last night on account of making sure the Tantabus was properly chained up and unable to exploit the gap in its restraints again.

Now, watching the shadows grow longer and longer, the light dimmer and dimmer, she thought back on what Rainbow Dash had said once again.

“She would have made it expressly for the purpose of hurting others. But not you,” Rainbow jabbed Luna in the chest again. “Because you are not Nightmare Moon.”

Rainbow Dash was wrong about that. Her words had meant well and had worked at the moment, but she wasn’t a scholar, an alicorn or a mage. How could she know? Luna and Nightmare Moon were one and the same pony. Everything Nightmare Moon had done had been a fully aware and conscious decision on the part of Princess Luna. She thought about it for a moment and likened it to being similar to a never-ending blind rage. Instead of rage, however, it was bitterness, jealousy, and resentment towards Celestia and the sun that had burned in her heart without ceasing only ever kindled and stoked by any resistance she had encountered.

The agony of an alicorn falling to the shadows cast by their very being was that the emotions never simmered down, and much like coming down from a violent and destructive rage, the exhaustion and guilt she had felt when all of that bitterness and anger was torn away from her by the Elements of Harmony was profound.

Luna had everything to be sorry for about Nightmare Moon; letting her exist in the first place, and not realizing sooner that what she was doing was wrong. How others were able to forgive her so easily still baffled her mind… it would be a long time before she could say she had truly forgiven herself for the evils she had committed.

But Rainbow Dash had been right about one thing...

“And get rid of the Tantabus, would ya? Like, destroy it. It won’t do you or anypony else any good.”

Luna slowly lowered herself to her haunches and lit her horn. She closed her eyes and focused. After a moment, the world around her vanished and she found herself stepping into a shadowy place within her own mind. The Tantabus floated before her, undulating and quivering at her approach. It spoke to her, it’s voice comprised of hundreds of others that Luna had heard over the years. “Mother?”

“Tantabus,” Luna began, setting her jaw and stepping forward. “...In my own self-loathing, I created you. Beset by my own guilt and remorse, I made you so that you would punish me, amplify those feelings and torture me with the memories of the horrible things I have done.”

The Tantabus shuddered, a part of it’s amorphous, misty body reaching out to Luna.

She swatted the tendril away with a hoof. “But one wrong won’t cure another. Torturing myself through you won’t make sure I repeat my mistakes… I see that now. I don’t need you to remind me of what I have done…”

“Mother-”

“Stop calling me that!” Luna snapped, her horn sparking to life. “You are not my child! No child of mine would ever be raised into a parasite that creates nightmares!”

The Tantabus howled with agony when its body was enveloped in a bright white light. Smoke and sparks of multi-colored magic began to erupt from it in massive amounts.

“Such a creation could only have been born of whatever remained of Nightmare Moon! By destroying you once and for all, I cast her out!” Luna growled, pouring even more energy into the spell until she was forced to close her eyes to avoid going blind.

The Tantabus’ howl peaked, then went silent, it’s final cry echoing in Luna’s mind for several long seconds. Soon, there was no sound… save for the gentle breeze of the approaching night washing over Luna’s face. Slowly, she opened her eyes to see that she was sitting on her balcony once more.

The sky was almost dark; it was time to raise the moon.

Rising to stand tall and proud, Luna’s horn began to glow with a gentle light; gentler than it had been even before. Slowly, the moon began to peak itself up from beyond the distant horizon, painting the world in the softer shades and subtle illumination that belonged to the night and the night alone. A time for contemplation, thought, and dreams. Not for tyranny, not for jealousy or hatred, and not for revenge.

As the moon was put into motion, Luna let it go for now. She would not need to tend to it until it was time for morning to come. She looked on and smiled softly, her horn glowing once more as she tapped into the fabric of the Dream Realm. The world faded away, dissolving into a blue void around her, filled with spheres of light and color.

She reached out to one such sphere as it passed, gazing into the dream of a mare who would one-day soon become a mother, then another of an earth pony stallion joyfully prancing along the clouds. Luna put on a charmed smile for several seconds before setting her jaw. “...This is my destiny… my path. I am the princess of the night… I vanquish nightmares. I don’t create them.”

With this resolution planted firmly in her mind, she focused on a spell, pulling her along through the Dream Realm to find the dreams of Rainbow Dash. When she fell asleep, Luna would be there. They needed to talk...

Author's Note:

The Tantabus is dealt with, now. So that's good.

I'm not a hundred percent happy with the second scene; I dunno. Something about it feels kind of... off. Maybe it was the transition. What do you guys think?

EDIT: 3/62017 I went ahead and made a few adjustments to a few details of the trip to Hollow Shades to make some more logical sense. Bahamuttone in the comments pointed out a few glaring problems with the plan the mane six have, and a few edits in this chapter were made to hopefully address those issues.

PreviousChapters Next