• Published 11th Nov 2017
  • 2,010 Views, 69 Comments

Dancing Through Life - MiraculousDragonMaster



A dancer who wishes to shine gets her big chance when her idols announce a competition. But, her jealous stepsisters try to ruin her chances and her growing romance with one of her idols.

  • ...
3
 69
 2,010

Perfect Harmony

Dancing Through Life

Chapter 14

Perfect Harmony

Soon, Rainbow Dash and Soarin' were taking a short break and hanging out in her room. She was lying on her bed, watching Soarin' play and tune up her old acoustic guitar. He tried multiple times to get it sounding right, but it didn't seem to work.

Finally, he turned to Rainbow. "Uh, I think you need a new guitar." He said, a smirk coming on his face.

Rainbow rolled her eyes with a playful chuckle. "Yeah, that would be nice." She answered. "But I prefer my trusty electric guitar these days. I haven't played that old one since middle school."

Soarin' returned her smile with his teasing grin growing on his face, his head slightly shaking, and tried once more to tune the guitar. Rainbow sat back up on the bed. "You writing a new song?" She asked.

"Yeah." He replied. "It's a work in progress, though." He strummed the guitar, and it finally sounded just right. "You want to help me with the harmony?"

Rainbow tried her best to fight back against the blush that was threatening to explode on her face in blasts of pink and red. Singing with Soarin'? Dancing with him was one thing, and it was already enough to set millions of fireworks in her stomach. But singing? The very thought was making her grateful that she was already on her bed instead of standing up.

"No, I'm good." She said, trying to revert back to the cool and confident girl that she put on in front of everyone.

But Soarin' saw right through her act. "Come on. You know you wanna help with the harmony." He smirked like a cat, which made Rainbow roll her eyes.

"Fine." She said, pretending to sound annoyed, but Soarin' saw the playfulness in her magenta eyes.

Rainbow scooted to the edge of the bed and Soarin' sat beside her. He reached into his back pocket and pulled out a folded piece of paper. He unfolded it and handed it to her

"This is as far as I got with the lyrics." Soarin' explained. "Just start right here." He pointed to a specific spot, propped up the guitar in the proper position and started plucking the strings, playing a melody.

Soarin': It's become so hard.

Then Rainbow joined in, her voice harmonizing to his.

Rainbow Dash and Soarin': For me to be surprised.
You're bringing back the real me.
No judgment in your eyes.

It's the way you make me feel
Like I'm finally something real.

By now, they were both staring into each other's eyes, emerald green melting into rosy magenta. The meaning of the words were hitting them in their hearts.

Rainbow Dash knew that her facade of being the most awesome athlete in school would soon break if she can't keep brushing off Adagio and Aria's schemes to make her life miserable. True, she had her friends to help her through her problems, but there are still some things that they can't exactly fix. But whenever she was with Soarin', she wasn't afraid of judgement because she knew that he would never leave her as a broken shell. He made her feel safe, just like when she was younger, and her parents boosted her morale up to be the shining star they always saw her as.

As for Soarin', whenever he was with Dash, he felt like he was a normal young adult. No routines to memorize, no crazy fans begging for autographs or pictures, and no pressure that comes with his celebrity status. Just looking at her was enough to make all his worries disappear, and he loved the freedom to just be himself.

Unfortunately, the moment ended when Rainbow realized that they were just staring at each other for too long. "Okay." She said, turning away and brushing a prismatic lock of hair behind her ear. "Break time's over."

Soarin' felt a little disappointed when she ended the moment, and he went back to the chair he was sitting in. When he turned around, he saw she was lying back down on her bed, looking at him from an upside-down angle.

"Back to resting." She teased. Soarin' chuckled as he sank back into the chair and stared up at the ceiling. They were in a comfortable silence until he spoke up again.

"You know, one of the reasons why I came back was to remember why I started dancing in the first place." He said, making Dash look back over at him.

He caught her eye and smiled softly. "Dancing with you, I'm starting to remember." He admitted.

Rainbow looked at him with a soft and curious gaze. "Really?" She asked gently.

Soarin' nodded. "Yeah." He answered in the same tone. Rainbow smiled brightly at him, making him suddenly get a large boost of confidence.

He stood back up and came over to the bed, hovering over Dash with his hands placed on either side of her head. "And you're getting closer."

Dash snorted in amusement. "And so are you." She teased. As much as she sort of liked the position that she and Soarin' were in, she knew that neither she or he would fight off the temptation to pounce on one another for long.

Soarin' chuckled. "I mean with your moves." He clarified, though he was playing along in her joke.

"You're not looking so bad yourself." Rainbow answered coyly, even having enough confidence to reach up and playfully tap her finger on the tip of his nose.

Soarin' fought back the urge to either blush bright red or quickly plant his lips on her mouth. "Why don't we pick it up tomorrow, right here?" He asked.

"As in this house, or as in this position?" Dash questioned back, a flirty grin coming up on her face.

"I'm not that kind of guy." Soarin' teased, chuckling lightly. As much as he would like to kiss her, he knew that now was probably not the best time, because her stepsisters will be coming back in a few minutes. Kissing her would make him lose all sense of time and reason.

Rainbow giggled. "Somehow, I don't find that entirely convincing." She teased back, pushing him back up with her hands and pulling herself up. Then, she turned around to face him. "But in answer to your question, how about sooner?"

Soarin' was confused for a second, but then remembered what she was implying. "Oh, right." He realized. "Your stepsister's party is tonight." Rainbow nodded. "I'm not sure. I'm sure that Sonata has changed, but the other two, if they know of me being there, they'll have the doors guarded, ready to pounce on me."

Dash laughed. "Chill, Wonder Boy." She teased, slightly relishing in the fact that the name brought a fierce red blush on the Wonderbolt's face. "My friends will be coming to help me with refreshments. And since your friend Cheese has the hots for Pinkie, he'll be wanting to come anyway."

Soarin' then caught onto what Rainbow was implying. "He'll let me know when the coast is clear." He said, the realization hitting him like a lightning bolt.

"You got it!" Dash said, nodding.

Soarin' smiled at her. "So, I guess I'll see you later tonight." He said, his grin turning softer.

Rainbow returned. "It seems so." She answered.


Author's Note:

A/N: Okay, I just wanted to upload this short and fluffy little chapter real quick before midterms come pounding on my door. Short and sweet, right? Sorry, no kisses yet. ;)

Well, here's a fair warning for next time. Also, I have some news. Warning first, though. The next chapter will be the last cute chapter before everything comes crashing down.

Now for the news. For the past couple of weeks, I've been receiving news on wattpad that all fanfic sites might be shut off for good. Don't worry, a lot of us aren't going to let that happen. Come and join in the fight by spreading the news.

Okay, now that that's all out of the way, I'll see y'all in Chapter 15! Please let me know about what you think.

Got to fly! ;)