• Published 11th Nov 2017
  • 2,016 Views, 69 Comments

Dancing Through Life - MiraculousDragonMaster



A dancer who wishes to shine gets her big chance when her idols announce a competition. But, her jealous stepsisters try to ruin her chances and her growing romance with one of her idols.

  • ...
3
 69
 2,016

A Party and a Song

Dancing Through Life

Chapter 15

A Party and a Song

It had only been a few minutes after Soarin' had left, but Rainbow Dash bit back her grin to remember that she will be seeing him again very soon, in about an hour and a half. As of then, she was looking around in the fridge for a quick snack before starting to put up decorations for the party.

Eventually, Rainbow found a leftover container of tuna pasta and pulled it out. She closed the fridge door and was immediately confronted with the sight of an angry Aria with her arms crossed and a nervous Sonata, holding her hands behind her back.

"So where's Prince Charming now?" Aria asked with a slight snarl. "Couldn't stand to be around the help anymore?"

"Wow. Jealous much?" Rainbow asked sarcastically, feeling a slight boost of confidence at how her stepsister was acting.

Suddenly, there was the sound of the doorbell ringing. "I'll get it." Rainbow said, groaning and placing her tuna pasta in the microwave to reheat it.

When she entered the hallway leading to the door, Sonata suddenly came beside her, having managed to lose her sister. "Just in case." She said quietly. "Adagio and Aria are up to something, but they're not telling me about it. I think they might have caught me."

"Well, to be fair, you're not exactly subtle." Rainbow said.

Sonata rolled her eyes with a scoff. "I can be subtle!" She exclaimed.

"Name one time." Rainbow challenged, a familiar glint in her magenta eyes.

Sonata opened her mouth to make a reply, but then she closed it, trying to come up with an answer. Rainbow smirked.

"I rest my case." She said smugly. Now, Dash had opened the door, and her friends were standing there on the front porch.

"Hey, Rainbow." Sunset greeted.

"Hey, girls." Rainbow Dash said with a wave.

Just then, Applejack caught the sight of Sonata next to Dash. "Uh, is this a bad time to be droppin' in?" She asked cautiously, pointing to the blue Dazzling.

"It's alright, AJ." Rainbow assured her and her friends. "It's all good between us." She gave her stepsister a small smile, which Sonata returned gratefully.

"If you say so, Dashie." Pinkie Pie cheerfully piped in.

"We're here to help you with the catering." Twilight explained as they all headed outside and towards Rainbow's room.
Dash smiled at them. "You girls are lifesavers." She said, giving all of them a quick hug before leading them back outside. She then turned to Sonata. "I think you should start getting ready. Guests will be arriving soon."

Sonata grinned at her. "I'll get to that, then." She said, actually sounding excited. Then she ran inside and up to her room. Rainbow couldn't help but feel her grin getting wider. It felt nice to finally know what it was like to have an actual sister in one of her stepsisters.


A couple of hours later, the party was in full swing. People were all mingling and dancing throughout the first floor of the house as the Dazzlings' music blared from speakers.

The Rainbooms were dressed in waitress outfits, designed by Rarity, who insisted that they wear them for the party.
All of the girls had their hair tied up in ponytails or high buns, and their dresses were all uniform, black with simple white lace on the hem of the sleeves, and the skirts down to the mid-thigh. And they all wore white knee-high stockings and black shoes with low heels, though Rarity, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie and Twilight's shoes had straps across their shoes, making them a little bit more feminine. The other girls just have simple black dress shoes, though AJ had fancy black ankle boots instead.

Rarity, of course, added some unique flair to each individual dress. Twilight's dress had her signature magenta star sewn on the side of her skirt, with amethyst studs on the hem. Her indigo hair was up in a bun, with tendrils of indigo hair framing her face.

Sunset's dress had her signature red and yellow sun on her skirt, with ruby studs lining the skirt. Her hair was up in a ponytail.

Applejack's had her signature apples on her skirt, with a large orange stud on the side of her chest, as if it was a pocket. Her blonde hair was up in a bun, along with tendrils of her blonde hair framing the sides of her face.

Fluttershy's dress had her signature butterflies on the side of her skirt, with pink and teal studs circling all around the bodice. Her hair was up in a high ponytail.

Pinkie's dress had her signature balloons on the side of her skirt, with pink streamer designs all around the skirt. Her hair was up in the usual ponytail she would wear when she would work at the diner.

Rarity's dress had her usual blue diamonds all over her skirt, and her hair was pulled up into a fancy ponytail.

And Rainbow's dress had her signature tri-colored lightning bolt on the side of her skirt, with a smaller matching one up on the side of her chest. Her hair was pulled up into a ponytail.

As the Rainbooms were serving hors d'oeuvres to the guests, Dash saw Adagio and Aria talking to each other in a corner of the room, sometimes glancing over at her, making her quickly avert her attention back to serving the guests to avoid getting caught.

Adagio was dressed in a sparkly black dress that trailed down to the floor, had a long slit in the skirt, showing almost all of her right leg, up to the thigh, and had spaghetti straps. Aria was wearing a tight knee-length dark red dress with a jagged V-neckline and strapless. They were a little overdressed in Rainbow's opinion. But then again, she didn't have a fashion sense like Rarity.

Finally, Sonata came down the stairs with a boy that was most likely pushed into being her date by her sisters for the party. Sonata was wearing a simple dark pink dress that was knee-length and had short sleeves. When she caught Dash's eye, she gave her a nervous smile. The other girl just gave her a thumbs-up of encouragement.

Meanwhile, Pinkie Pie was serving some appetizers to guests when a familiar boy came over to her to take one.
"Hi again." Cheese Sandwich said, flashing her a bright smile.

Pinkie giggled cutely. "Fancy seeing you here." She said before she leaned in closer to whisper. "I thought the Wonderbolts wouldn't come here."

"The Wonderbolts, maybe." Cheese answered mischievously. "Not a guy who's a little eager to see a certain girl again so soon."

Pinkie had to bite back a squeal. "Soarin' is here?" She asked.

"He's outside." Cheese explained. "Waiting for me to give the word."

"Well, you can give him the word now." She motioned with her head over towards Rainbow Dash, who was serving appetizers on the other side of the room.

Cheese winked at her, and then headed outside to make the call.


A couple of brief minutes later, after walking aimlessly around the crowded living room three times already, Rainbow Dash still hadn't seen any sign of Soarin' yet. She didn't want to admit that she was eager, but she was, darn it! Why is she acting like a lovesick schoolgirl? Well, it could be worse and more embarrassing, but still.

However, as she put down the empty plate to search once more, she bumped into someone. "Sorry." She said, rubbing the back of her head.

A familiar chuckle was then heard, making her face heat up. "Is this going to become a regular thing with us?" It asked.
She looked up and saw who it was. She blushed a deeper pink, but she quickly erased it with a coy smile. "I was wondering what was taking you so long." She asked. "Though, what's with the glasses?" She asked, slightly flicking up the dense black shades over his eyes.

Soarin' smiled as he lowered them down a bit. "I don't think you want me being mobbed by crazy fans coming here. Especially since the majority are attending this."

Rainbow laughed, imagining the sight. "That would be kind of funny, but no." She said.

The both of them lightly chuckled at the image in their heads, and then they went into a comfortable silence, looking into each other's eyes. Still so close, yet there are still some things that they just can't say to the other yet.

"Attention, ladies and gentlemen." Adagio spoke over the microphone. "In honor of my baby sister turning seventeen today, I would like her to please let come up to the stage."

The crowd clapped politely as Sonata nervously made her way up beside her eldest sister. "And now, she will present you with a song that she has written on her own." Sonata's eyes widened. How did she learn about her secret hobby? The usual songs that they'd sing were Adagio's works. Something didn't feel right.

"Sonata dear, would you care to play it for us?" Adagio gestured over to the piano that was settled on the stage. Sonata gulped and went over to it. But then, she saw Rainbow smiling brightly at her, standing next to Soarin'. An idea then came into her head.

"Ready when you are, sister." Adagio said as she and Aria came over to stand beside her, ready to sing.

"Actually, may I ask for some volunteers?" Sonata asked sweetly. "You and Aria do want your voices to be pitch perfect for the competition, and you seem like you can use a rest."

"Oh, don't be silly." Aria said. "We'll be fine."

"Please. I insist." Sonata said, gesturing to the end of the stage. Adagio and Aria slightly glared at her, but not wanting to make a scene with another argument, they begrudgingly did so.

Smiling internally to herself, she then turned to the audience. "Hey, you two." She called over to Rainbow and Soarin', as the spotlight came on them. "Why don't you join me up here?"

Glancing around nervously, Rainbow wasn't so sure, especially with the way Adagio and Aria were glaring at her fiercely with hatred. But when she felt Soarin's presence closer to her, she felt more confident.

They both came onto the stage and stood beside the piano, and Sonata handed them each a copy of the lyrics. Then, she began playing and singing along.

Sonata Dusk: Na na na na.
Na na na na na, yeah.
You are the music in me.
You know the words "once upon a time"
Make you listen, there's a reason.

Feeling more confident, Rainbow began singing her part along with Sonata.

Sonata and Rainbow: When you dream, there's a chance you'll find
A little laugher, or happy ever after.

After that, Soarin' and Dash took up singing the rest of the song while Sonata played.

Rainbow and Soarin': You're a harmony to the melody
That's echoing inside my head.

Rainbow: A single voice (Soarin': Single voice.)
Above the noise

Both: And like a common thread,

Soarin': Hmm, you're pulling me.

The rainbow-haired athlete almost blushed by the way Soarin' was looking at her, with such fondness, but she quickly brushed it off and focused on the song.

Rainbow: When I hear my favorite song,
I know that we belong.

Soarin': Oh, you are the music in me.
Yeah, it's living in all of us.

Rainbow: And it's brought us here because

Both: Because you are the music in me.
Na na na na. (Soarin': Oh)
Na na na na. (Yeah yeah yeah)
Na na na na.
You are the music in me.

Feeling better than she had ever felt before, Rainbow began dancing around the piano, practically tempting Soarin' to chase her.

Rainbow: It's like I knew you before we met (Soarin': Before we met)
Can't explain it (Uh-huh)
There's no name for it (No name for it)

Both: I sang you words I've never said,

Soarin': And it was easy (Rainbow: So easy)
Because you see the real me. (I see)

Soarin's hand came out to her, asking her to dance with him. Rainbow Dash smiled at him and placed her hand in his, and they began swaying to the music.

Both: As I am, you understand,
And that's more than I've ever known.

Rainbow: To hear your voice (Soarin': Hear your voice)
Above the noise (Oh)

Both: And I know that I'm not alone.

Rainbow: Oh, you're singing to me (Soarin': Ooh, yeah)

Both: When I hear my favorite song
I know that we belong (Soarin': Yeah, oh)
You are the music in me.

It's living in all of us,
And it's brought us here because
Because you are the music in me.

By now, the audience was clapping along in rhythm with the song. But no one had noticed Adagio and Aria sneaking away from the room. Everyone was too fixated on Rainbow and Soarin' dancing together.

Together we're gonna sing, (Soarin': Yeah)
We got the power to say

Soarin': What we feel, (Rainbow: What we feel)
Connected and real.

Both: Can't keep it all inside, oh yeah (Soarin': Ooh, yeah)

Now, everyone was singing along with the song as the two finished singing and dancing.

All: Na na na na (Rainbow: Oh yeah)
Na na na na (Rainbow and Soarin': Yeah yeah yeah)
Na na na na
You are the music in me.

Na na na na (Oh yeah)
Na na na na (Oh yeah)
Na na na na
You are the music in me.

When I hear my favorite song (Soarin': Favorite song)
I know that we belong (Rainbow: We belong)
Oh, you are the music in me.

Soarin': Yeah, it's living in all of us
It's brought us here because (Rainbow: Here because)
You are the music in me.

All: Na na na na (Soarin' and Rainbow: Oh yeah)
Na na na na (Both: Oh yeah)
Na na na.
You are the music in me.

Soarin': Yeah.

Everyone cheered and clapped loudly at the sight of Rainbow Dash and Soarin' in each other's arms, looking deeply into the colorful eyes of their partner.

Rainbow had never felt more breathless, nor more giddy. If this was a dream, it was one of the best she's had in a long time.

Her hot breath mixing with Soarin's, it was enough to make her slightly dizzy, yet there was the urge to lean in a little closer to him and almost taste it.

Suddenly, everyone's phones started beeping with an alert. When Rainbow reached into her skirt pocket to look at it, her heart stopped.

There was a new article for the school paper, and the front page said, "Rainbow Dash: Not So Cool After All?" And there was a picture of her dancing with Soarin' only a few moments ago, along with the cut out of the middle school picture of him.

She felt her legs getting wobbly as she looked around the room. There were some people beginning to laugh, her friends and Sonata were looking at her with wide eyes, and then there was Adagio and Aria, looking at her with evil smiles on their faces.

When Rainbow looked over at Soarin' standing in front of her, she felt tears of shame coming to her eyes. He wasn't looking at her with disbelief or disgust, but he was confused and looking at her, as if he was trying to remember something. The moment his eyes widened in recognition, she had enough.

Dash jumped off the stage and ran outside, feeling suffocated. She took deep breaths to keep herself from crying. She won't cry. Not here.

"That's what you get for going behind our backs." A familiar voice said. Rainbow turned around and saw Adagio and Aria.

"Why?" She asked. "Why do you two torture me like this?" When there was no reply from either of them, she felt her voice choking as she continued. "For years, I've done everything you've ever asked me to do, yet it's still not enough for you! Why?!"

Adagio glared at her hatefully. "Why?" She repeated bitterly. "You may seem tough and cool, yet you're just so good. You have all that we want, so we'll take it away."

"My freedom?" Dash demanded. "My dreams?"

"Oh, yeah. About that one." Adagio said. "The Manehattan Academy called earlier today. You didn't make the cut after all."

Rainbow felt her heart breaking into millions of pieces. "What?" She asked, her voice fading into raspy whispers.

Adagio smirked. "Face it, Rainbow Dash. You may think you're a winner, but in reality, you've never won anything."

That was the final break. Dash ran away from her stepsisters and entered her room, slamming the door shut. She then collapsed on her bed, sobbing. It was over. They won, and she was never going to be free.

Author's Note:

A/N: Yep. That happened. Please don't hate me.

Man, the song that I used for this chapter. I love "You Are the Music in Me" from HSM2, but man, all of the transitioning parts! Definitely one of the hardest ones I had to put down. But it was worth it, and I don't own it in any way.

Also, I recently saw the trailer for Season 9. I can't believe that it is really coming to an end. Well, at least this season better end the series with a bang. And not a literal one, please!

Until next time, in Chapter 16! Please let me know about what you think!

Got to fly! ;)