• Published 11th Nov 2017
  • 2,010 Views, 69 Comments

Dancing Through Life - MiraculousDragonMaster



A dancer who wishes to shine gets her big chance when her idols announce a competition. But, her jealous stepsisters try to ruin her chances and her growing romance with one of her idols.

  • ...
3
 69
 2,010

A Small Dilemma

Dancing Through Life

Chapter 6

A Small Dilemma

The next day, over at Pinkie's house, the Rainbooms were practicing a new song to sing for the upcoming Spring Fling. But, one member in particular didn't really feel like rocking out this time.

Rainbow Dash finished playing her guitar and set it down against the stand next to Pinkie's drum set. She then sat down on a spare chair with a heavy sigh.

"You okay, Rainbow?" Twilight asked as she was putting away her microphone.

"Don't hate me, girls, but I don't want to go to the Spring Fling." Dash announced glumly.

"WHAT?!" The other Rainbooms shouted.

Rarity grabbed Rainbow by the arms and quickly pulled her up from the chair to meet her eyes. "You have to come, Rainbow Dash! I've been working on our dresses for weeks!"

"Plus, you're our lead guitarist." Applejack added as she set her bass down. "We need you for the song."

"In case you girls have forgotten, Aria and Sonata will be going as well, and who knows what they might do to embarrass me in front of everyone." Dash reminded as she pried Rarity's hands off her.

"Well, your parents only teased you because they loved you, and you sometimes took it for granted." Fluttershy said. She then realized what she had just said and covered her mouth with her hands, looking horrified.

Something snapped inside Rainbow as she felt her legs grow weak. She slid down her chair to the floor and curled up into a ball, bringing her legs closer to her and putting her head down.

"Did you have to bring that up?" She whined, though it sounded muffled.

"Sorry, Dashie." Fluttershy apologized as she came over to her childhood friend and gave her a comforting hug. Rainbow gratefully returned it. She was trying so hard to fight back the tears that were building up inside.

The other Rainbooms came over to their friend and sat beside her. Usually, Dash was an easy-going, maybe a little too confident, sporty tomboyish dancer. But ever since her parents passed, the very mention of them was enough for her to become vulnerable.

Soon, she stood up, wiping her watery eyes. "Still, I'm not going." She said.

"Oh, yes, you are." Pinkie answered back. "And we'll figure out a way."

Rainbow gave her friends an uneasy smile. Suddenly, Rarity gasped loudly.

"I just remembered something!" She exclaimed. "It's a masked dance! And if I have the right materials and designs, I could make us masks that coordinate perfectly with our dresses in time for the dance tomorrow!"

The other Rainbooms began cheering, except Dash. But then, she smiled as she listened to the excited conversations. Maybe she should go, for her friends. When she decided to look over at the digital clock on the wall, she froze. 5:30.

"Girls!" She cried, getting their attention back. "I'm sorry, but I gotta head out now!" She grabbed her guitar and placed it in her trunk. "I have to start cleaning back at the house!" Rainbow lifted up her trunk and strapped it on the back of her motorcycle. She then got on it, put on her helmet, and started it up. "See you gals there!" With that, Dash revved off to start her bothersome chores.


The next afternoon, Adagio was having a relaxing massage at the spa while Aria and Sonata were waiting, since they both had just finished having a mani-pedi. But, Aria was getting a little impatient since she wanted to tell Adagio something important.

"Are you almost done, Adagio?" She groaned.

The eldest sister finally got up from the cot, feeling great. Or was, before she heard Aria's whining. "Relax, Aria." She said. "Now, what has got your hair in a twist?"

Aria self-consciously brushed her hand through one of her pigtails, then spoke. "As you know, the Spring Fling is tonight."

"Yes?" Adagio gestured for her to continue, but Sonata interrupted.

"The Rainbooms will be performing, so that means Rainbow Dash will be going to the dance."

Aria slugged her sister hard in the arm. "Say it, Sonata. Don't spray it!"

"Well, this is something." Adagio said as they went outside and sat down on a bench. "That girl has been a pain in the neck since her parents passed."

"Yeah!" Sonata agreed. "We used to be the most popular girls in school until she and her friends stole our spotlight. And she is actually really pretty, tough, cool, athletic, talented-"

"Shut up, Sonata!" Aria snapped at her.

Adagio placed a finger under her chin, deep in thought. "This must be dealt with." She said to herself.

"Ooh, you can tell her to clean my room as an extra chore." Sonata suggested.

"And maybe my closet." Aria added.

Adagio then formed a smirk on her face. "Actually, I have a place that does need some sprucing up."


Soon, the Dazzlings entered the living room, where Rainbow Dash was scrubbing the tile floor in the entryway. Adagio silently gestured to the other two sisters to head upstairs. They did so, both hiding devious grins.

"Rainbow Dash." Adagio called her stepsister's attention. "You know that Sonata is turning 17 in a couple of days."

"Yes?" Dash said, unsure of what was being implied.

"We're throwing a big party, and I want to have the house absolutely spotless." Adagio said.

"But, my friends and I are going to the dance." Rainbow replied. "Besides, I cleaned every room in this stinking house."

Normally, Adagio would reprimand Dash for a snarky comment like that. But, her plan was right now more important. "Not my bedroom."

Rainbow froze.


Adagio led Dash upstairs to her hazard of a master bedroom. There was clothes everywhere, almost burying the entire floor. Bugs buzzed everywhere, thick dust coated the furniture, and it reeked of body odor, cheap perfume and moldy pizza.

Rainbow thankfully resisted the urge to throw up, and she was just gobsmacked at the horrific condition. "You're kidding, right?" She asked, careful not to choke on her breath.

Adagio smirked. "I'm clubbing with Maris tonight." She began to explain. "It's my turn to host the after-party."

Great. Dash thought. Now I might have to deal with broken bottles and drunks later tonight.

"When I get back home at midnight, on the dot, this room will be in pristine condition." Adagio finished.

"Adagio, I need heavy equipment." Rainbow said. "For example, a flamethrower. And maybe a dozen cans of air freshener."

"Watch your tongue, missy!" Adagio snapped. "Or you might not see your friends until the end of the school year."

Dash held back her retorts, still glaring angrily at her eldest stepsister. Adagio, seeing that she won't put up a fight, smirked victoriously and turned to leave. She then saw some fishsticks on the ground and stepped around them.

"And throw away those." She pointed out to Rainbow, who was now more grossed out. "They've been there since New Year's." With that, she left.

Dash looked around, absolutely disgusted. This room was the epitome of a nightmare, and her plans for the night have gone downhill.

Author's Note:

A/N: When I watch shows on HGTV, it shocks me every time when it shows houses that actually in conditions that bad. It's just absolutely horrendous. :pinkiesick:

Well, I hope you have enjoyed this chapter, and I hope it was worth it. I'll see you guys in Chapter 7. Please let me know what you think.

Got to fly! ;)