• Published 11th Nov 2017
  • 2,008 Views, 69 Comments

Dancing Through Life - MiraculousDragonMaster



A dancer who wishes to shine gets her big chance when her idols announce a competition. But, her jealous stepsisters try to ruin her chances and her growing romance with one of her idols.

  • ...
3
 69
 2,008

Hearts Beating and Breaking

Dancing Through Life

Chapter 16

Hearts Beating and Breaking

It had been a few minutes since all the phones at the party had buzzed with the news about Rainbow Dash. The girls had looked all over the house for Rainbow, even in her room. But she wasn't anywhere. If she was in her room, then she must've already left before they looked.

Soarin wasn't sure what to think, exactly. In a way, everything finally made sense. He thought he had recognized Rainbow from somewhere before, and now, he remembered when. It was back in middle school.

He briefly remembered the girl with the rainbow hair walking in the hall, talking animatedly with some of her friends, and seeing her excel in various gym classes. But he never had the chance to talk to her before he, Spitfire and Fleetfoot became the Wonderbolts.

He was brought out of his thoughts when he saw Applejack. "Any sign of her?" He asked.

AJ only shook her head. "Sorry, Soarin." She said. "But she's nowhere in the house."

Soarin hung his head. "Where could she be?"

Applejack thought about something for a few seconds. "There may be a place." She said, making the Wonderbolt look at her. "There is that old dance studio that she would go to whenever she wanted to be alone. You can check it out. Pinkie will forward the message to you."

Soarin nodded and headed out the door. Once he jumped into his car, he received the text from Cheese, who must've gotten it from Pinkie Pie. He started it up and began driving away.


In a matter of minutes, he arrived at the dance studio where he first saw Rainbow dance. All of that vigor and confidence in the way she moved to the music was one of the things that first drew him to her. She just had to be here.

Soarin got out of his car and entered the closed studio through an open window. He carefully walked around the hallways. Finally, he had sensed some movement from one of the larger dance practice rooms. He peeked in and saw that Rainbow was slowly yet forcefully moving her body to the rhythm of the deafening silence. It was like she was in a trance to lock herself away from reality.

He must've made some sort of noise when he tried to sneak up to her, because she had stopped moving, but didn't turn around to look at him. Instead, she said, "I know you're here."

Soarin then came up to her, but she still didn't move. "I take it now you remember."

"Yeah." He said simply. "That girl that I've seen in the hallways a lot during middle school. The one I was kind of intrigued with."

"I wasn't one of those crazy fangirls, if that was what you were thinking." Rainbow continued.

"I know that you never were that type of girl." Soarin tried to reassure her. "But all of that shouldn't really matter anymore, right? It's a thing of the past."

"That's not all." Rainbow muttered.

"What are you talking about?" Soarin asked.

"Adagio and Aria said that I didn't make the cut for the Academy." She replied.

"And you believe them?" Soarin continued to question. "You know that they could easily lie about that."

"Face it, Soarin!" Dash shouted at him. "I'm never getting away from them! They've won!" By now, all of the pent up anger and heartbreak was starting to show on her face, tears slowly leaking out. "I'm never good enough for anything, or anyone."

Both of them were silent for a few seconds before Rainbow turned away and moved towards the other end of the room where her stuff was.

Soarin knew that he had to do something. That little stunt that her stepsisters pulled was a severe blow to her pride, or rather the little self-esteem she still had after her parents died, revealing who Rainbow Dash really was to everyone in the most humiliating way possible.

Without even knowing where he got the idea, he opened his mouth and started to sing.

Soarin: You know I want you.

That simple phrase made Rainbow stop in her tracks, her eyes widening but didn't look back at him. Seeing that it was a step, he continued.

It's not a secret I try to hide.
I know you want me,
So don't keep saying our hands are tied.

Rainbow shook her head and continued to pack her stuff. Soarin took that as a cue to get closer to her.

You claim it's not in the cards,
And fate is pulling you miles away
And out of reach from me.

He forced her to look at him in the eye by grabbing her backpack. Rainbow brushed him by pulling her backpack away and began walking towards the window she came in from.

But you're here in my heart,
So who can stop me if I decide
That you're my destiny?

Those words made Dash stop again, pondering them if they were really true. Soarin once again moved over towards her.

What if we rewrite the stars?
Say you were made to be mine.
Nothing can keep us apart.
You'd be the one I was meant to find.

He took her hand, making her look at him again. As he slowly led her away from the window, he took her backpack again and tossed it against the wall.

It's up to you, and it's up to me.
No one can say what we get to be.

He then entwined their hands as he guided her in a ballroom styled twirl before holding her by the waist.

So what if we rewrite the stars?
Maybe the world can be ours tonight.

Dash pushed his hands away from her before moving out of reach, spinning on one foot on the ground before jumping up and arching her back in a back flip. When her feet landed back on the floor, she was in the middle of the room, the moon above, shining like a spotlight. Her magenta eyes glowing like beacons, but there was a sad dull to them now.

Rainbow Dash: You think it's easy?
You think I don't wanna run to you.

She started to side-step her own feet in a box-step pattern towards Soarin. But when he reached out a hand to her, she took a large step backward.

But there are mountains
And there are doors that we can't walk through.

This cycle repeated as they both added their own styles, Soarin moving smoothly and reaching out forward to her, and she expertly extending her leg back to slide herself in the opposite direction, and then adding a little spin for flair.

I know you're wondering why
Because we are able to be
Just you and me within these walls.

After doing that process for the fifth time, Soarin finally managed to grab Rainbow by the waist. But she pushed against his chest, getting herself away from his grasp.

But when we go outside,
You're gonna wake up and see that
It was hopeless after all.

Rainbow then jumped in the air again, this time twirling as she did so. When she landed, she grabbed the windowsill, her feet against the wall.

No one can rewrite the stars.
How can you say you'll be mine?

She then jumped off, and Soarin caught her in his arms, twirling her around for a second, her arms flying. Then, she wrapped them around his neck, hugging him. But the force of it sent both of them down to the floor, rolling around until Rainbow was on top of him, straddling him. Their position would've made them blush, but right now, being caught up in the passion of their dancing, they didn't mind.

Everything keeps us apart,
And I'm not the one you were meant to find.

Dash then pushed herself up and away from him, flipping over him. Soarin then grabbed her arm, and she started twirling in a pirouette.

It's not up to you, it's not up to me
When everyone tells us what we can be.
How can we rewrite the stars,
Say that the world can be ours tonight?

They then started to dance together, stepping in time and Rainbow sometimes curling her leg around Soarin's and lifting her other leg up into the air.

Both: All I want is to fly with you.
All I want is to fall with you.
So just give me all of you.

Rainbow: It feels impossible. (Soarin: It's not impossible.)
Is it impossible?

They then started spinning around rapidly in a tight circle, their bodies almost pressed together.

Both: Say that it's possible!

They then stopped and Soarin tossed Rainbow in the air, her doing a few spins as she did so. She then landed in his arms.

How do we rewrite the stars?
Say you were made to be mine.
Nothing can keep us apart
'Cause you are the one I was meant to find.

They then once more began stepping in time, Rainbow's arm around Soarin and the other up in the air. One of Soarin's arms was around her waist, and the other was behind his back.

It's up to you, and it's up to me.
No one can say what we get to be.
Why don't we rewrite the stars,
Changing the world to be ours?

Then they started to slowly spin around and then come to a stop as their other arms wrapped around each other. Dash looked at Soarin with soulful eyes, her eyes watering as she breathily sang the last loving but heartbreaking words.

Rainbow: You know I want you.
It's not a secret I try to hide.
But I can't have you.
We're bound to break and my hands are tied.

Tearfully, Rainbow removed herself from him, grabbed her stuff, and left through the window without another word nor even looking back at him so that he couldn't see her crying. But little did she know that Soarin himself was also shedding a few tears.


Author's Note:

A/N: I absolutely love "Rewrite the Stars"! It's such a loving yet heartbreaking song. However, I don't own it in any way.

Sorry for taking forever on this! I've been having some writer's block on this story for a while, as I've had with my other stories. But I've come to a decision about this. However, I'm not sure if you guys will like it.

I've decided to only put on my MLP stories and any new ones in the future on FimFiction from now on. Probably because it will just take too much work for me to share them on multiple sites. Maybe in the future, if I ever can catch a break and get more into the swing of things, I'll have them back on Fanfiction.net.

However, I won't delete all of them. There's only two I'll be removing, but they'll still be on FimFiction, I promise. It's "Honesty and Dragons", and "Stories of True Love." The other ones are either completed or that they're big projects. I'll remove them tomorrow. So take some time to read them on Fanfiction.net one last time.

I hope you guys understand. And on a brighter note, I hope y'all enjoyed this chapter! I'll see y'all in Chapter 17! Please leave a review about what you think.

Got to fly! ;)