• Published 11th Nov 2017
  • 2,010 Views, 69 Comments

Dancing Through Life - MiraculousDragonMaster



A dancer who wishes to shine gets her big chance when her idols announce a competition. But, her jealous stepsisters try to ruin her chances and her growing romance with one of her idols.

  • ...
3
 69
 2,010

A Threat Made

Dancing Through Life

Chapter 12

A Threat Made

Rainbow Dash came inside the house with a smile on her face even though she was carrying two brown paper bags full of groceries. But then it vanished when she was met with a glaring Aria. Sonata however, just had her arms crossed and looking confused about why she and her sister are confronting Rainbow.

"Where were you?" Aria demanded.

Rainbow rolled her eyes. "You know I have a shift at Wonderbolt Sports every Friday afternoon." She said, trying to squeeze past her stepsister.

"But were you with someone?" Aria continued to interrogate. Sonata gave her sister a wary glance, somehow getting a bad feeling about what might happen.

"No." Rainbow said.

"Don't act so innocent!" Aria shouted, making both Rainbow and Sonata jump back. "I know you were with Soarin' all afternoon."

Rainbow's eyes widened, remembering what she and her friends were discussing earlier at school about what might happen if her stepfamily knew that she and Soarin' were dancing together.

"How did you know that?" She asked cautiously.

"I overheard it when you were gossiping with your friends." Aria explained. Rainbow frowned at her stepsister's choice of words. "And I also know that it was you who was dancing with Soarin' at the dance last night."

Dash felt her blood freeze with fear. She almost dropped the grocery bags due to the revelation hitting her hard.

She glanced over at Sonata, only to be confused by the surprise that was etched on her youngest stepsister's face. Did Aria not share this information with her? It was strange, since she pretty much plots everything with her.

Then she put on the bravest face she could muster at the moment. "What are you doing to do?" She challenged Aria. "Tell Adagio on me?"

"Oh, she doesn't know yet." Aria said with a smirk on her face that made Rainbow's confidence go down a bit. "But if you see or talk to him again, I'll give this to the school newspaper on Monday." She held up the old photo of Soarin' with the faded red heart around it. "I'm sure the reporters will have a field day, posting a story about their toughest athlete having a schoolgirl crush on one of the hottest superstars ever."

"You wouldn't!" Rainbow exclaimed.

"Oh, I will." Aria said, her smirk deepening, sending chills down Rainbow's spine. "And I'm sure that if the story gets out, Adagio will eventually figure out that you snuck out last night. And I don't think she'll be thrilled about it. She already has something planned for you to make sure that everything is ready for Sonata's birthday party tomorrow night."

Rainbow resisted the urge to roll her eyes. Aria might share almost all of her devious plots with Sonata, but when it comes to things concerning her little sister, she doesn't care one bit. It was the same with Adagio.

"Now go and make the lamb chops." Aria ordered coldly. "Adagio is getting very hungry."

With that, the purple Dazzling left the living room, leaving Rainbow and Sonata alone.

"Was it really you?" The blue Dazzling asked her stepsister.

Rainbow didn't answer her, not wanting to endure any more verbal harassment from her stepsisters.

"I'm not going to say anything to them. I promise." Sonata vowed.

Rainbow looked over at her, surprise in her eyes. She searched her red-violet eyes, trying to see if Sonata was pulling any punches, or just trying to get her to spill all her secrets. But she seemed genuine this time. So she only nodded before going to leave the living room.

Once she was in the kitchen, she dropped her bags on the counter. She finally felt her knees growing weak and she fell onto the tile floor, quietly sobbing. She hugged her legs to her chest and scooted herself into a corner as she let Aria's threat sink into her brain. Her dignity was at risk if she gets closer with Soarin'. She wants to, but at what cost? She doesn't have much left, and she tries to hold onto them.

A pattern of footsteps was then heard as someone entered the kitchen. Rainbow sniffed and wiped some tears from her eyes. She looked up and saw Sonata standing above her.

"Go ahead." She said, looking down at her boots, knowing what situation that her stepsister saw herself in. "Let everyone know that Rainbow Dash is now a broken shell of pain and sorrow instead of the confident, butt-kicking athlete they think I am."

Sonata only stared down at her with guilt. She didn't think that Rainbow Dash was really suffering this much this whole time ever since her parents died. She knew that her stepsister was as tough as nails, and it took a lot to get under her skin. But now, she realized that all that was a facade over the past six years.

"I'm sorry." She finally said after a long moment of silence.

Rainbow's head shot right up at Sonata's words. "What?"

"I'm sorry." Sonata repeated. "For everything I've done to you. I've always known you were trying to be nice to us, but we were just jealous of you."

"Jealous?" Rainbow asked, not sure if she should believe it. "Of me?"

"Well, you're just so much prettier and more talented than we are." Sonata explained. "You and the other Rainbooms."

"Well, all I really want is just to be myself in front of everyone else." Rainbow said. "At least, without you or your sisters trying to make me look bad."

Sonata looked down at the floor. "I'm really sorry, Rainbow Dash." She said, looking back at her stepsister. She then held out her hand to her.

Rainbow looked at it for a second before smiling up at Sonata and taking her hand. Once she was back up on her feet, she wrapped her youngest stepsister in a hug. Sonata was a little surprised to receive a hug from her stepsister who she had been acting so mean to, but she eventually returned the embrace.

Eventually, the two broke the hug. "We keep this only between us. Got it?" Rainbow said.

Sonata nodded. "Got it." She then turned to leave the kitchen, but before she did, she turned back to Rainbow. "For the record, you're the closest person I have to a real sister."

Rainbow Dash was a little surprised by that, but then she smiled gratefully. Once Sonata left and she got to work on the lamb chops, she couldn't help but feel better. Maybe things are finally starting to turn around.

Author's Note:

A/N: I know, I know. It's been a long while since I've updated this story. I lost the movie on cable, again. And I can't get it on demand either right now. But I got a guest review on Fanfiction.net from my friend, twilight sparkle, to at least update it for for her birthday. So I spent all of my writing time yesterday to try and get a chapter ready.

I'm almost done with "Beauty Lies Within", so once that it is done, I'll next turn my MLP focus on this story. It's somewhat around the climax now.

Until Chapter 13, I'll see y'all! Please let me know about what you think.

Got to fly! ;)