• Published 11th Nov 2017
  • 2,004 Views, 69 Comments

Dancing Through Life - MiraculousDragonMaster



A dancer who wishes to shine gets her big chance when her idols announce a competition. But, her jealous stepsisters try to ruin her chances and her growing romance with one of her idols.

  • ...
3
 69
 2,004

Hanging Out While Working

Dancing Through Life

Chapter 13

Hanging Out While Working

The next morning, after Rainbow had served a nice and hot breakfast for the Dazzlings, she had politely excused herself from the table saying that she was going to check the mail. This was partially true, since she did have to get the mail from outside, but once she had given them their mail, she would take hers and then head over to the park on her skateboard where Soarin' was waiting for her.

Once she counted the number of envelopes in her hand, she passed out a certain number to the respective Dazzling, her eyes only meeting Sonata's, the blue Dazzling giving her a brief and subtle smile, and she quickly returned it. When she was done, she saw that there was one envelope addressed to her. She hid it behind her back as she left the dining room and towards her chambers.

After a few moments of quietly getting inside her room, Rainbow let out an excited cry of "Ohmygosh, Ohmygosh, Ohmygosh, Ohmygosh!" She quickly tucked the opened envelope in her backpack and got onto her skateboard. She just had to tell someone this, and the first person that entered her mind was Soarin'.


Soon, she had arrived at the local park where she was to meet him. She eventually found him sitting at a park bench, who immediately stood up once he saw her coming his way.

"Soarin'!" Rainbow exclaimed, getting his attention. Luckily, there was no one else in that area of the park at the moment. The Wonderbolt caught her in his arms so that she could stop before she rolled away.

"Skateboarding now?" He asked, his eyes twinkling with glee. "Seriously, is there no end to your talents?"

Rainbow rolled her eyes with a giggle at his comment as she picked up her skateboard. "Well, you'll probably think that I'm even more awesome when I tell you this. Guess who has an audition with the Manehattan Academy of Performing Arts?" Soarin' quickly thought about that for one split second until Rainbow excitedly squealed out the answer. "ME!"

The Wonderbolt's jaw dropped in amazement as Dash continued to rapidly explain all the details, holding out the letter to him, talking in one breath and failing to keep the excitement out of her voice. "There were 200 applicants, and they only chose 20 for auditions, which means I'm in the top 20!" She then paused to take a deep breath. "Wow, I haven't been that excited for anything in so long."

Soarin' laughed. "Take deep breaths, Dash." He said.

After Rainbow calmed down, she chuckled lightly. "Geez, after saying all that in one breath, I wonder how Pinkie Pie does it."

"Is she one of your friends?" Soarin' asked. "The bubbly pink girl? I think my friend Cheese has a thing for her."

Dash smirked. "Well, be happy to know that she feels the same for him." She said. "Honestly, I think those two are made for each other."

"I agree." Soarin' added.

"But still, I can't believe it!" Rainbow exclaimed, jumping around in a circle.

Soarin' laughed at the adorable scene and pulled her into a hug, which Rainbow gladly returned, placing her hands around his back, and his own around her, one arm around her shoulder and the other around her waist.

"That's amazing, Rainbow." He said.

Rainbow broke the embrace to look up into his eyes. "Thanks." She said, a soft and joyful smile on her face. Soarin' thought that her face was even glowing by how happy she was.

Eventually, after a couple of moments of comfortable silence, Soarin' had an idea. "Hey, since I'm coming over to hang out anyway, how about I help you practice some moves?"

Rainbow beamed even brighter. "Sure." She said. "Having a dancing superstar as a coach? I'm now more certain that I'll get in!"

Soarin' laughed again. "Okay, then. Let's go." Her enthusiasm was contagious as he too started to get excited.


Once they arrived a block away from the Dazzlings' house in Soarin's car, they stayed hidden until the Dazzlings left the house in their limousine, Adagio yelling loud threats at the driver if they were late to their dress appointment.

"Here go the two wicked witches." Rainbow said.

"I thought that there were three total." Soarin' said, a little confused.

"Well, it seems that Sonata Dusk does have a heart." Rainbow briefly explained, remembering her conversation with the blue Dazzling the day before.

"Huh." Soarin' said. "It seems things are starting to go your way."

"I wouldn't push it too far, though." Rainbow said. "Fate has a way to backfire on me."

She shouldn't have said that as they got out of the car and walked over to Rainbow's outside bedroom door. There, taped to the door, was a piece of folded paper with the title, "Rainbow Dash's To-Do List," in thick red permanent ink.

Rainbow groaned. "You have got to be kidding me. Those two A's are driving me nuts."

"What is it?" Soarin' asked her as he took the taped list off the door. When he unfolded it, the list went all the way down to the ground. "Okay, wow." He said as he realized how many chores she was given. He then began to name some of them, one by one as Rainbow crossed her arms in annoyance.

"'Repaint the pool. Fix the lighting system. Vacuum the driveway'? This is ridiculous!" Soarin' exclaimed as he tore his eyes away from the list to look over at Rainbow, wondering if these chores were for real.

However, Rainbow let out an annoyed huff. "Chores from Adagio." She said. "They're gone for the day, and won't be back until tonight. I have to do them, or else who knows how long she'll ground me." She gave Soarin' an apologetic look. "Sorry, maybe another time."

Soarin' then had another idea come to him. "Well, what if you can do your work while you do hers?" He suggested.

Rainbow raised a confused eyebrow at the Wonderbolt. "What do you mean?" She asked him.


A few minutes later, they were in the den, vacuuming the carpet. Rainbow was pretending to dance along as she moved her vacuum back and forth. Soarin' then came up to her.

"Okay, let's try this." He said. He then slid across the carpet, and then did a spin, crossing his arms when he finished.

Rainbow smirked. "You mean, like this?" She asked. She pushed her vacuum a little away, and then copied the move Soarin' demonstrated.

Soarin' returned the playful smirk. "Yeah." He said.

Dash then had an idea of her own. "I think there is a way to make this a little more fun."

Soarin' raised his own brow. "How so?" He asked playfully.

Rainbow smiled. "Wait right here." She left the den for a couple of minutes, and then came back with a radio player.

"Why just dance when you can feel like you really want to?" She asked him rhetorically with her mischievous smirk slowly growing wider.

Soarin' returned the smirk as he came over to her. "Well, what do you have in mind?"

Rainbow playfully pushed a finger against his nose to push him away before he could get too close. "Just let the music take lead." She simply advised as she turned on the radio and cranked it up to full volume.

In a matter of seconds, music began blaring as they continued to work and dance. Soon, Soarin' began to sing along to the words of the song.

Soarin': Waking up, ready for some action.
Strapping in, ready for the ride.
Going big now that I can take it
All the way to cloud 9.

Rainbow playfully rolled her eyes at him as she started to move to the music. Then, she too started to sing.

Rainbow Dash: Dropping in, wanna feel the rush now.
Sun is out, the wind is in my hair.
Nothing else could be quite as awesome
As when I'm soaring through the air.

Then, the two started to dance together in sync as they began shining shoes, polishing tables, or cleaning windows. Sometimes, they would dance beside each other, or sometimes they would be dancing circles around the other.

Both: So here we go, and we ain't gonna take it slow.
We're ready now to touch the sky.
This must be how it feels to fly.

I'm on cloud 9, I'm on cloud 9!
This must be how it feels to fly.
I'm on cloud 9, oh oh!

Soarin' then grabbed Rainbow by the hand and started to spin her around in a twirl as he sang, and then stopped, having her in a dip.

Soarin': Don't give up, keep on taking chances.
Put in time, till you get it right.
Winding up, swinging for the fences,
Won't go down without a fight.

Rainbow smiled, bopping him on the nose. Flustered, he let her back up, but she then started to move slowly around him, delicately brushing her fingers across his chest and back. But then, she abruptly removed her fingers and spun around him, causing him to catch her and hold her by the leg, which was slightly wrapped around his thigh. Then they did a little bit of tango before dancing together in a circle.

Rainbow: Going hard, push it to the limit.
To the edge, go to the extreme.
There's no doubt that I'm gonna win it,
Never giving up the dream.

Both: So here we go, and we ain't gonna take it slow.
We're ready now to touch the sky.
This must be how it feels to fly.

I'm on cloud 9, I'm on cloud 9!
This must be how it feels to fly.
I'm on cloud 9!

I'm on cloud 9, I'm on cloud 9!
This must be how it feels to fly.
I'm on cloud 9, oh oh!

The two then started to move in a steady rhythm as they put one foot in front of the other as they danced in a straight line.

So here we go, and we ain't gonna take it slow.
We're ready now to touch the sky.
This must be how it feels to fly.

Finally, they went all out in dancing. They did spins, steps, and sways of their bodies.

I'm on cloud 9, I'm on cloud 9
This must be how it feels to fly.
I'm on cloud 9!

I'm on cloud 9, I'm on cloud 9!
This must be how it feels to fly.
I'm on cloud 9, oh oh!

Finally, they ended in a pose where Soarin' had his hands on Rainbow's waist, she had one of her legs out behind her, the other was slightly around Soarin's calf, and her arm was around his neck, her fingers touching his hair.

Soarin' was slightly out of breath, but it felt like it was completely taken away as he stared into Dash's magenta eyes. They were unlike any jewels he had ever seen, even in pictures. Her rainbow colored hair still looked like they could become a real version of her namesake.

Rainbow could feel her face becoming red and hot as she stared into Soarin's emerald green eyes. She never dreamed that she would be dancing and singing with her old middle school crush, or that he actually wants to hang out with her. His hair was really soft and wispy, not that her fingers were starting to entangle themselves in those navy blue locks.

Shyly, but still smiling, they removed themselves from their somewhat intimate position. As a new song started to play from the loud radio, they continued doing Dash's chores while dancing.


Soon, they were out in the front yard, vacuuming the driveway. However, they didn't know that they were being watched. The Dazzlings were looking at the touching scene from the limousine a block away. While Sonata was trying herself from cooing at the cute moment between her stepsister and the Wonderbolt, Adagio and Aria were seething through their teeth.

"He's doing her work?" Aria asked in disbelief.

Adagio growled. When Aria reported to her the night before, they thought of every possible chore they could give Rainbow Dash for the day as a sort of secret punishment for her sneaking out. But they didn't count on Soarin' of the Wonderbolts coming over to help her and flirting with her.

"'Let's make her repaint the pool. Let's make her vacuum the driveway?'" The yellow Dazzling asked, making her younger sisters flinch at her tone. "You're an idiot!"

The Dazzlings then looked back at the front yard, just in time to see Soarin' playfully chasing Rainbow Dash with his vacuum, making her laugh.

"What does he see in that little tramp?" Adagio asked.

Secretly wanting to get her sisters even more mad, Sonata began to list all of the things that her older sisters were jealous of their stepsister. "Well, she is a good height for him, and she has really pretty hair, and of course, her figure is almost as perfect as one can-"

"Shut up!" Aria hissed harshly, making the blue Dazzling stop in mid-sentence.

Adagio looked back out the window at the scene, and she saw that Rainbow Dash was now over Soarin's shoulders, the both of them laughing.

"We need a new plan." She said ominously. Sonata felt a worried twinge in her stomach. She didn't like where this is going.

Author's Note:

A/N: Hey, who says that the number 13 is unlucky? Honestly, that superstition is one of the silliest I've ever heard.

Yes! Now that "Beauty Lies Within" is complete, I can now put more of my MLP writing focus on this story. Don't worry, I'll still update my other stories, but updates on this story will be more frequent.

So here's some more SoarinDash fluff for you all. The song I used is "Cloud 9" from the Disney Channel movie of the same name. I absolutely love that song, so you can check it out if you want.

Until Chapter 14, I'll see y'all! There will be some more fluff between the two, just to let you know. Please let me know about what you think.

Got to fly! ;)