• Published 25th Oct 2017
  • 285 Views, 0 Comments

A Soft Key - Sonicbot



A story that shows Piano Keys' hardships and experiences.

  • ...
 0
 285

No Time to Play

The next morning was different. The birds weren't out singing, there were less ponies on the street, and Cloudsdale issued a cloudy day. I was a wreck that morning. I didn't bother brushing my hair or make a satisfying breakfast for myself. I didn't even get out of my morning robe. I didn't play a single song either, all I could think about was the auditions and how I failed. Then there was a knock at the door.

"Piano! You home!? I heard what happened at the auditions!"

I didn't open the door. I instead talked through the door. I just didn't want Button Down to see me like this. "How did you know what happened Button?"

"Word goes around fast in Canterlot."

"Well, you might as well cancel any invitations to house parties, because I'm not playing anymore."

"WHAT!?, Piano don't do this."

"Why then!" I angrily replied. "Why, shouldn't I make that decision!?!"

"Because it's what you love doing. Isn't it?" He replied.

I cracked open the door and saw his eyes. Though my trauma has not left me.

"Look Piano, why don't we look around and find a place that are holding auditions. It might not be as big as The Canterlot Ochrestra, but I'm sure that we can find something that's available. What do you say?"

I was hesitant, should I stay inside or go out. "Wait right here."

I close the door and ran up stairs. I haphazardly got ready and stood in front of the door. I was doubtful, how can there be auditions for a piano player if it isn't an orchestra? I opened the door and saw Button Down right in front of me, who grew a put back by my careless readiness.

"Uh, shouldn't you--"

"No, know are we going or what?" I interrupted.

"OH! No you don't." Button Down levitated me off the ground.

"HEY! Put me down!" I said trying to break free.

"No, if you are not going to put the extra effort in to properly groom yourself, then I will." He started walking away from my house.

"Where are you taking me?! My house is that way."

"I know, I'm taking you someplace special."

"Where?" I said suspiciously.

We arrived at a spa. It was big with three floors. We entered inside and Button Down put me down on a chair while he approached the counter.

"Hello, what would it be today Button Down?" said the pony behind the counter.

"The usual, but can you add some hair care in there and this is more for my friend then it is for me?"

"Of course, wait here till everything is ready."

Button approached me and sat in the chair right next to me. "You've been here before?" I said grouchily.

"Yup, I come here if I need a speedy way of getting ready."

"Mr. Down, it is ready."

As soon as she said that Button levitated me once more and placed me right beside the spa pony. "W-Wait, I thought this was for you?" I said confused.

"Nope." He quickly replied.

"Right this way miss." The spa pony said.

I begrudgingly followed, mainly because I didn't want to be rude. She took me into a room and told me to lie down in the bed. So, I did. She started messaging rather rough. Starting from the back and working her way down. At first it was painful with all of the rough message and my legs getting stretched. But then she started to lighten the pressure with a more relaxing message.

"Okay, you may get up." She instructed.

"Well, that was short."

"Oh, the treatment is not over. Please follow me."

She then brought me to a small pool of hot water, with a sink for hair washing built in, and told me to go in. She then put a hot towel over my face and lathered shampoo in my hair. She was very thorough with the scrubbing. She washed the suds away and then applied conditioner. She later washed that away too. Once the washing was over, she took me to another bed where she would file my hooves. I spent around 5 minutes at the spa and, I'll admit, I did enjoy myself. Button Down was smiling the entire time. Once the treatment was done, I walked out feeling refreshed, and my troubles were gone.

"Well?" Button Down said confidently.

"Alright, I did like it and thank you for cheering me up. But I still think there isn't any auditions going on today."

"Oh I'm sure there is at least one audition going on somewhere."

"You know, there is a talent show going on tonight just down the street." Suggested the spa pony.

"Thank you miss, as well as the services." Button Down said.

We headed to the building that holds the talent show. The building itself has an urban feel to it with the bricks really sticking out compared to the buildings around it. We entered and saw a small crowd of ponies, watching an act on stage. Button Down and I approached the sign up table where the stallion there can't keep his eyes off the act.

"Ahem, sir." said Button Down.

"Huh OH! You want to sign up?"

Button Down looked towards me. "Uh, I would." I said.

"Good! Now, what's your act?"

"Piano Playing." I answered.

"Piano playing huh? I'm not sure if we have a piano. Wait right here."

He went in the building at went to the back, looking for a piano. He was in there for a while, thankfully we saw the other acts on stage and all of them were outstanding. The stallion returned from his search and sat back down on his chair.

"I found a piano and it's getting setup for your act right now."

"Guess I'll see you on stage." Said Button Down.

I was up next on stage and I was anxious, I didn't know how everypony would react to my music. Well, I'll soon find out. I was called on stage and they brought out a standard piano. I was not used to seeing this type of piano, I've only played on grand pianos. I geared myself up as usual but now with a sense of doubt. I couldn't think of any song to play. Out of panic, I played the scales quickly.

"Was that it?!" Yelled a random pony in the crowd.

"No, she is just getting started." Yelled Button Down.

I sat there not sure what to play. The audience was getting a little restless, I couldn't keep them waiting, I HAD to play something! I decided to just play songs that I have played before in the past. The one song that stuck out was Moonlight Sonata. I think I'll go with that. I pressed a key on the piano, and everything just fell into place. I played every note in succession, I was surprised that I knew the song off of my hand so well. I only played that song once in my life. I continued playing from what I can recall, the audience was entranced by my music with some even crying. I knew then that the audience loved my performance. I finished the song, at least I believe I did, and I sat there amazed from what I could remember. The audience stood up and clapped to my performance. I felt amazing that evening.

Everypony went through their acts which lead into the night. They starting to wrap up and soon enough closing for the night. The pony outside came up to me with a smile on his face.

"Great performance miss."

"Piano Keys sir."

"Ms. Piano Keys. I'm wondering if you can come in tomorrow and play again. It would mean a lot."

"Of course." I replied. He then walked away to help clean up. Button Down and I left as they were cleaning.

"Great performance, as always. Feeling a bit better?" Button Down asked.

"Yeah, I would like to thank you, again, for cheering me up. I can't wait for tomorrow night."

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment