• Published 16th Mar 2019
  • 757 Views, 11 Comments

Apropos of the Sinners - SpitFlame



(Featured on EqD) A dark and tragic event occurred some years ago in Ponyville, and it involved an equally dark and dysfunctional family. They are still discussed among us to this day.

  • ...
1
 11
 757

PreviousChapters Next
Part IV – Chapter VIII – For a Moment

A sharp, dry click rang out, but no shot was fired from the crossbow. As the councillor put his arms around Pyre, the latter collapsed as if unconscious, perhaps indeed imagining that he was killed.

The crossbow was taken from him. Pyre was picked up, a chair was brought, he was seated, and everypony was shouting, asking questions. Olva especially had just come in, seemingly pulling hairs, going crazy at such a catastrophe, as it were. Everypony had heard the click of the trigger and now saw Pyre alive, not even scratched. Pyre himself sat up, as pale as death, not understanding what happened, and looked around with senseless eyes.

"A misfire?" somepony asked.

"Maybe it's not loaded?" others guessed.

"No, it's loaded," the councillor confirmed. "But..."

"A misfire then."

"Yes, it was a misfire! The crossbow jammed!"

A few seconds of silence went by.

The initial and general alarm gave way to laughter; some even guffawed, finding malicious pleasure in it. Pyre was sobbing as if in hysterics, shaking all over, rushing to everypony, asking why he was still alive. "Why, why, why!" The whole scene was so pitiful it is hard to describe, even for a narrator as pitiful as myself.

Airglow had watched the whole thing in horror, not understanding why he would even attempt to take his own life in spite of everything she did. She listened to him, truly, but she could still not imagine any sane reason for what had just transpired.

"Wow!" cried Cold Leg. "This night could have been redeemed if only you'd shot yourself, but you're such a loser you somehow managed to fail even that!"

"So disappointing," sighed Soft Trace.

"Well, I was thoroughly in the mood to see a pony kill himself," said Maxim. "If not this one, I'm heading back home. Thanks for the birthday bash, everypony!"

"Oh, Maxim, I'll come with you," whispered Bright Glint to him.

"I... swear I... meant to..." Pyre choked out, hardly able to breathe.

"You heard them," put in Bronze, laughing. "Everypony's night is ruined because of you!"

In the end Pyre really fell unconscious. They carried him to the back room. Dr. Tubercuhoofis went to the Ponyville hospital to get some help, to carry him there on a portable stretcher. Olva stayed by his side in the meantime. But before that she noticed Airglow leaving as well through the front door.

"Where are you going, dear?" Olva asked in surprise.

Airglow looked back at Olva, her face somehow serene, yet her eyes betrayed an intense suffering.

"I... I don't know," she muttered, frowning, and left Golden Oak.

* * *

The cool night breeze eased her nerves, if only a bit. She was walking aimlessly, her legs mechanically taking her wherever they pleased. She only meant to get away from Golden Oak, to observe something else: the other houses in their repeating patterns, the planted flower beds along the gravel road, or even just the market booths closer to town center. Ponyville was a fairly large town, much more expansive than what one would assume. Despite living there her whole life, Airglow still discovered, to her surprise, several alleyways, corners, and roads she had never seen before. Other than four of five ponies she passed by, everypony else was asleep.

"Just... let... go?" she asked to herself in an undertone. Eventually she stopped by a signpost and sighed heavily. Where's Nova? I haven't seen him since we spoke on the day of the Summer Sun Celebration. Did he just disappear? I wish Cluster were here, too.

She noticed that she was in front of Misty's house. A sour look came to her.

Why am I here? she thought glumly. Did I subconsciously walk to her house because I was looking for Nova? I'm... wasting time. I should head back.

"Psst! Airglow! Hey, Airglow! Psst!"

Airglow looked in some perplexity at what was indeed Misty Gem staring out of her open window and calling to her. She looked to be in a state of excitement; she was hastily beckoning to Airglow.

"Ooh, wait, lemme get the door for you!" And she disappeared, and soon enough the front door swung forth.

Airglow, not thinking it through too much, obliged and went into Misty's house. The door closed behind her.

"And they say fate doesn't exist!" laughed Misty, grabbing her hoof. "I was just thinking—literally a minute ago—to send for you, if you were still awake, that is. I can't believe you plopped up right in front of my house! This is perfect!"

"Er, what's all this about, Misty?" asked Airglow, taken aback by the fact that Misty was acting so friendly towards her.

"Here, sit down, sit down," said Misty once they reached the living room. There was a light in her face, a renewed attraction that even conquered Airglow and left her feeling hopeful. It was even odd to see Misty in such a mood, because while most objects in her house were restored, several marks of damage from the earlier reported break-in—broken glass from the windows, dents in the walls, torn-up wallpaper—remained all too visible.

"What about your house?" asked Airglow. "Did you find out who did it?"

"No, no, we still haven't caught those invaders. No matter, this is only my temporary home, and I haven't lost anything truly valuable. But there is something else, dear, something totally unexpected, and it has come to me!"

Did something good happen? struck Airglow in that moment.

"Help me, Airglow, it's now that I need your help," Misty went on. "Remember when Nova told you to tell me that he bows out, and that I would never see him again? True enough, I haven't seen him, and I've no notion of where he could have gone off to. But listen, if he especially insisted on that word, 'bow,' then it means he was agitated, beside himself perhaps. He had made a decision and was frightened by it! He didn't walk away from me with a firm step, but leaped headlong off the mountain. This could be a sign..."

"You're right," Airglow ardently agreed. "It seems that way."

"And if so, then he hasn't perished yet. He's just in despair, which is why he left Ponyville."

"He... left Ponyville?" Airglow stopped short.

"Oh, he certainly did, his house is vacant. But to where? I was hoping to find out."

"I wouldn't know," said Airglow softly, "other than maybe he went to... that mare."

"And do you think I can't endure that mare? He thinks I can't endure her? But he won't marry her." She suddenly gave a nervous laugh. "It's passion, not love. He won't marry her, because she won't marry him..." Again Misty suddenly laughed strangely.

"He might," said Airglow sadly, lowering her eyes.

"He won't marry her, I'm telling you. That mare—she's an angel, do you know that?" Misty suddenly exclaimed with remarkable fervour. "I know how seductive she is, but also know how kind, caring, and noble she is. Why are you looking at me like that, Airglow? Maybe you don't believe me...? Bouquet Rose, my angel!" she suddenly called out to somepony, looking into the other room. "Come and join us. This is Nova's dear sister, Airglow Sky, she knows a lot. Show yourself to her."

"I've only been waiting behind the curtain for you to call me," said a softhearted, even sugary voice.

The portiere was raised and Bouquet Rose herself, laughing a joyful little laugh, came up to the table. Something seemed to contract in Airglow. Her eyes were glued to the mare, she couldn't take her eyes off of her. Here she was, that terrible, "sordid" mare. And yet, at first glance there appeared to be a perfectly ordinary and simple being, kind and caring; beautiful, yes. Her beauty was of another world, the sort so passionately loved by so many. She was plump and smooth, with a soft way of moving her body, with something very sweet and tender in her voice. She came up to the room, not with cheerful strides like Misty, but with small, noiseless steps. She slowly lowered herself on a chair next to the couch. Her complexion was that of a very young mare, with a pale rosy tint on her cheeks. Her upper lip was thin, and her more prominent lower lip was much bigger, which protruded almost as if she were pouting. She had a flowing black mane, a light grey coat, and lovely blue eyes with long lashes that could not fail to make any stallion on the street stare at her.

What struck Airglow most of all in this mare's face was its childlike, openhearted expression. Her look was like a child's, sweet and angelically confident; she had come into the room "joyfully," as if she were expecting something now with the most childlike, impatient, and trusting curiosity. Even the way she spoke was drawn-out, with all-too-sugary enunciation of her syllables. It would only later be discovered that these were bad habits, in bad tone, which indicated a low upbringing and a notion of seductiveness vulgarly adopted in childhood.

Airglow stared at all this youthful beauty, in harmony with her movements, and was at last struck by the most unpleasant feeling. She opened her mouth, but no words came out.

Misty Gem sat her down in the chair and kissed her several times on her smiling lips, not romantically, but in a trusting, platonic way.

"We've met for the first time, Airglow," said Misty joyfully. "I wanted to know her, to see her. I would have asked, but she came here herself. I knew we would resolve everything, everything! My heart foresaw it. Bouquet has explained everything to me, all her intentions; she's like an angel, she's flown down and brought peace to me..."

"My dear young lady didn't scorn me," Bouquet drawled in a singsong voice with the same sweet, joyful smile.

"Don't you say such a thing, you angel! Scorn you? I'll kiss you on your lower lip again if I have to." And she indeed delivered to Bouquet another kiss, causing the latter to laugh.

Airglow blushed; trepidation came over her.

"And you're Airglow?" asked Bouquet, batting her eyelashes. "You're so cute. Nova never said his sister would be such a pretty little flower."

Airglow stuttered, unable to speak coherently, her face becoming a deep shade of red.

This elicited a laugh from Bouquet.

"See what a pearl she is," remarked Misty.

"You're too kind to me, dear young lady; I'm not worthy at all of your caresses."

"Not worthy!" Misty again exclaimed with fervour. "You know, Airglow, we're both so proud and so kind, did you know that? Only we're both so unhappy! We were too ready to make all sorts of sacrifices for an unworthy and frivolous stallion. For so long she has been unhappy! She once had a 'former one,' an officer, she fell in love with him, but this was years ago. He will come back, and Bouquet will be happy again. She's just like me!"

"You defend me too much, dear young lady; you're rushing too far ahead," Bouquet drawled again.

"Defend? Would we even dare to defend you here, my angel? Bouquet, give me your hoof. This mare has resurrected me, Airglow. I'm going to kiss her hoof, here, here, as a sign of our friendship." And she indeed lovingly kissed Bouquet's hoof several times. The latter, offering her hoof with a nervous, lovely little laugh, watched Misty, apparently pleased at having her hoof kissed like that.

Airglow bit her lip. Her heart was somehow peculiarly uneasy.

"Won't you make me ashamed, dear young lady, kissing my hoof like that in front of Nova's little sister!"

"I could never shame you," said Misty, somewhat surprised.

"Oh, dear young lady, I'm much more evil than you think. I have an evil heart. I charmed Nova only to laugh at him."

"But now you're going to save him. You gave your word. You said you'd tell me where he has gone, because you said you knew."

"Ah, no," laughed Bouquet, "I never gave my word. You're putting words in my mouth."

"Then I misunderstood you," said Misty softly, turning a bit pale, as it were. "Y-you promised—"

"No, no, my young angel, I promised nothing," Bouquet interrupted softly and calmly, with the same innocent expression. "Haven't I just told you? I have an evil heart. I do what I want. Maybe I promised you something, but now I'm thinking: what if I like Nova all of a sudden? I liked him before, so why not again? That's how fickle I am..."

"But you... said it differently, I could have sworn," said Misty faintly.

"And what if I go to him and take pity on him—what then? Oh, you're so very kind and noble next to me. Give me your hoof, my young angel," she spoke sweetly, and took Misty's hoof on the fly. "Here, dear young lady, I'll kiss it, just like you did to me. You have such a beautiful hoof, my dear. You're so very beautiful!"

She slowly raised the hoof to her lips, but did so strangely, as if harbouring some ulterior motive. Misty did not withdraw: with timid hope she listened to Bouquet's request. But just then, Bouquet hesitated for a few seconds, then dropped her hoof, as if thinking something over.

"Do you know, my young angel," she drawled in the sweetest, most caring voice possible, "I won't kiss your hoof." And she laughed gleefully.

"But what's the matter?" Misty suddenly started. "Will you tell me where Nova is or not?"

"No, not at all! And you can keep this as a memory—that you kissed my hoof but I didn't kiss yours." Something flashed in Bouquet's eyes, a cold gleam of sorts. She looked at Misty with terrible fixity.

"Insolent little—!" cried Misty, as if finally understanding something. She blushed all over and jumped up from her place. Bouquet, too, got up, without haste.

"So now I'll go and tell Nova you kissed my hoof, but I didn't kiss yours at all. How he'll laugh!"

"You gold-digging slut! Get out!" screamed Misty. Every muscle trembled in her face.

"Shame on you, young lady! Calling me a gold-digger? You yourself as a filly used to go to your gentlecolts at dusk for money, offering your body for sale. Nova told me."

Misty made a cry and was about to leap at her, but Airglow held her back with all her strength.

"Not a word! Not a word! Leave! Leave right now!" shouted Misty.

Misty's aunt, as well as the house maid, having heard her cry, came rushing into the room.

"That I will," laughed Bouquet. "Airglow, you cutie-pie, come with me please!"

"Go, just go," Airglow pleaded, getting into a panic.

"Oh, but you have to come with me! I have something very, very nice to tell you. I performed this scene for you. Come with me, darling, you'll be glad you did."

Airglow turned away, shaking her head frantically. Bouquet let out another childlike laugh and ran out of the house.

Misty had a fit. She was sobbing, choking even, with spasms. Everypony fussed around her.

"You're too passionate," Misty's aunt told her in a strict voice. "Why don't you learn?"

"She's a slut!" screamed Misty. "Why'd you hold me back, Airglow! I'd have beaten her!" She could not restrain herself. "She should be flogged, on a scaffold, by an executioner, with everypony watching!"

Airglow backed towards the door, her lips trembling with fright.

"And him!" Misty cried out. "How could he! He told that slut what happened then, on those fatal days! 'Offering your body for sale'—she knows! Your brother is horrible, Airglow! He's horrible, horrible!"

Airglow wanted to say something, but she could not find a single word. Her heart ached within her. Her eyes started to water.

"Go away, Airglow! I don't want you here! Go, out, out!"

Airglow went outside, staggering, as it were. She even felt out of breath, wiping the tears from her eyes, putting distance between her and Misty's house. She never, ever wanted to be witness to something like that again.

* * *

Airglow found herself wandering the Ponyville park, which was deserted at that hour. It was not very large, had about five trees, a small fountain in the middle, and two benches opposite of each other. The moon's light could not penetrate the dark clouds up above; it was so dark that it was difficult to make out objects thirty paces ahead.

Airglow sat down on the bench, deep in thought, a completely defeated and distraught look on her face. Suddenly a hoof tapped her shoulder; she turned to see Bouquet Rose sitting right next to her, smiling and flashing her hot eyes with a sort of sensuality even.

"Y-you!" Airglow jumped from the bench, looking at Bouquet in alarm. She was not angry, per se, not even apprehensive; she was simply in great bewilderment, and wished only to make sense of one thing, just one.

"What are the odds!" she laughed joyfully, lightly clapping her hooves together. "You and me here, cutie-pie—I said we should meet up, and we did. Don't be afraid of me; I'm awfully glad to see you."

"I'm sorry, but—" And Airglow took in a large, deep breath, and began pacing from one end of the bench to the other. Suddenly she stopped and looked at Bouquet. "How did... I mean, what are you doing here in Ponyville? A-and... why did... I mean... why...?" But she could not continue, finding herself losing her breath again.

"I wanted to meet you, Nova's adorable little sister. Remember, I was going to tell you something very nice." And Bouquet, with dainty composure, pedantically rose from the bench and moved in front of Airglow, with a smirk full of confidence.

"Tell me what?" asked Airglow timidly.

"Nova isn't in Ponyville, it's true. He's in Fillydelphia."

"Fillydelphia!" exclaimed Airglow, but at the same time it made sense to her. The Flying Rift Express takes off from a station in Fillydelphia, and he's coming with me. But how did he get there?

"You're probably wondering how he got there. You can ask him yourself when you see him again. But right now what I really wanted to see was you."

She seemed to be very glad. Her eyes were shining, her lips laughing, but good-naturedly, gaily. Airglow didn't expect such an expression. She had been shocked by her vicious and perfidious escapade with Misty Gem, and now she was surprised to see Bouquet acting so differently. Her whole manner seemed to have changed for the better: there was almost no trace of that sugary inflection, of those pampered movements. Everything was simple, direct, and matter-of-fact.

"How long have you been here in Ponyville for?" asked Airglow at once.

"Oh, I arrived only yesterday," prattled Bouquet. "And I was going to stay till tomorrow, maybe even the day after that, but since I'm speaking with you, I suppose I'll be leaving tonight with a coachpony. I even hired a maid from Fillydelphia to accompany me, though I guess I can send her home now."

She friskily sat back down on the bench, and had Airglow do the same.

"It's no secret," she went on, "I'm here for my own amusements. There's nothing complex about it."

"B-but what do you want with me?"

"Oh, cheer up, darling. Smile at me, cheer up, smile at my joy. Ah"— she tittered at Airglow's rather forceful and nervous smile —"she smiled, she smiled! What a tender look! You know, I thought you were going to be angry with me because of what I just did, because of the young lady. I was a bitch, that's what... Only it's still good that it happened that way." Bouquet suddenly smiled menacingly, and a cruel little line suddenly flashed in her smile. "I really must have offended her. I came to Ponyville, and she invited me, wanted to win me over, to seduce me with her chocolates. No, it's good it happened that way."

"Is that really what you wanted to show me?" put in Airglow again in serious surprise. "What did my brother tell you exactly?"

"Nova is the only one who trusts me. He's such a simple little stallion, but I do like his simple-hearted charms. But when I heard about you, darling, I just had to..." And all at once she sprang up and, laughing, leaped right up close to Airglow like an affectionate cat, throwing all private space to the wind. She embraced the filly around the neck with her right arm. "I'll cheer you up, my sweet flower. No, really, is this okay? You won't get angry with me?"

Airglow was silent. She was afraid to move, and did not answer. She was looking at Bouquet, eyes wide, and it was difficult to discern what she was thinking. Her heart was pounding.

"Nova is still in love with me," Bouquet whispered in her right ear, causing her to shudder, "and I thought I'd come here to make things a bit more... let's say exciting. Tell me, Airglow, have you ever kissed a pony before? On the lips, I mean, romantically?"

"N-no..." replied Airglow in a barely audible voice, slowly and timidly shaking her head.

And as if on cue, without any warning, Bouquet grabbed hold of both her cheeks, came closer—and kissed her full on the mouth. Not a mere peck either, but a deep, long kiss.

Airglow was in shock. She tilted back, moaning into Bouquet's mouth, while Bouquet leaned towards her, pushing her into the bench's handle. She felt like her whole face was going to melt, feeling that foreign tongue invading her mouth. She felt so hot, so tingly as never before, and it was like a heavy mist was clouding her brain from thinking any further.

At last Bouquet drew back, panting, a line of drool connecting the two mouths. What she did not expect was for Airglow, who at first was all frozen in a stupefaction, to leap up and re-embrace Bouquet with another kiss. Even Bouquet was surprised, but she quickly accepted it and began wrestling tongues with her.

Both of them moaned into each other's mouths, every once in a while breaking apart for a quick breather, only for them to start making out again. Bouquet even began caressing the filly, and the two fell on the grass, tongues still locked with passion

Bouquet's movements were smooth and precise, taking the dominant role and prodding Airglow to squirm under her. Airglow herself was rigid, tightly holding on to Bouquet, almost as if she were afraid to let go.

After two or three minutes did Bouquet withdraw for real, smiling triumphantly yet menacingly, licking her lips and holding a panting and yearning Airglow in her hooves, the latter's eyes vague and glassy.

"Ooh... You're so pent up, aren't you?" she muttered in a smooth and half-mocking tone. "But you have to calm down and not get too excited. Here"— She helped her get up, patting her on the shoulder, with the clear indication that their make-out session was over.

"I... I'm sorry... I..." Airglow panted out, sweating, looking down as if in shame, her face blushing so hard it was practically glowing.

"Oh, sweetie, don't feel sorry; you got a taste of me after all," laughed Bouquet. "What better present could I have given you?"

Airglow bit her lip as if to calm herself, falling back down on the bench and rubbing her hooves together. With her face still downcast she said, "That was really..." But she felt her throat tighten.

"Maybe next time we'll take it to the next level. Ha, ha!"

Airglow immediately looked up, mouth open, as if all traces of timidity left her. But Bouquet was already walking away. She wanted to say something, but no words came out; she could not even bring herself to move from the bench.

"I'm going to the coachpony station house now," Bouquet called out with her little laughs. "There's nothing left for me here, sweetheart! But I'm glad I came. Ta-ta!"

* * *

Airglow had lost track of time. She had been sitting on that same bench for well over thirty minutes. Now that she was breathing normally, and her body had cooled down, and she was thinking more clearly, did she get and up and start heading home.

"What's wrong with me?" she whispered to herself. "Why did I... why did I... do that?"

Her tinges of confused self-embarrassment had taken so much space in her mind that she quite readily forgot about Pyre and the others. After arriving in Golden Oak, she observed that everypony had left, that Pyre was certainly in the Ponyville hospital with the good doctor, and that Twinkie was fast asleep.

Airglow groaned, only now noticing how tired she was, as if her body's fatigue was only now catching up to her. She sluggishly walked past Olva, who stared at her with some annoyance.

"Where did you go?" exclaimed Olva, shaking her hoof in the air. "I was starting to get worried! Oh, Airglow, what can a middle-aged mother like myself expect in times like these!"

But Airglow did not respond. She went to her room, shut off the lights, and fell heavily upon her bed. With her face buried in her pillow, she fell asleep in less than a minute.

Author's Note:

This marks the end of the prologue.

PreviousChapters Next