• Published 16th Mar 2019
  • 756 Views, 11 Comments

Apropos of the Sinners - SpitFlame



(Featured on EqD) A dark and tragic event occurred some years ago in Ponyville, and it involved an equally dark and dysfunctional family. They are still discussed among us to this day.

  • ...
1
 11
 756

PreviousChapters Next
Part VI – Chapter I – Something Ends, Something Begins

PART VI

HERE THEY COME

* * *

Airglow was certain she was awake when she started to sufficiently understand her surroundings. Though she came to her senses, it took her a long time to fully recover consciousness.

She vaguely remembered a doctor being called in to examine her injuries. She was given some kind of healing lotion and announced to that her bruises were not fatal in the least, although her ribcage still inadvertently stung with pain. She remembered feeling extremely agitated.

She had been transported to a bed amid many noises: hooves trotting in a multiple directions, objects clanging, voices chattering, wooden doors creaking, smoke whisking, and the haunting howls of a snowstorm. She spotted that doctor from before darting about, at times glancing in her general direction, at other times ignoring her entirely. Eventually he approached her, placing a thermometer in her mouth and checking if she developed a fever. Then, she was told that they were in Tolstrot, a small town to the far north of Canterlot, located only a few kilometres from the railway line.

But Airglow only listened to the doctor's words in the vaguest and most general sense. She understood only that she was not dead, but had been taken into some sort of safe haven. She let her head fall on the pillow once more, beginning to recall everything that had transpired in the last twelve hours, but soon after she dozed off.

I will be brief in recounting the facts which brought us to Tolstrot.

After Airglow fell unconscious, help in the form of wagons flown by military pegasi arrived roughly two hours later. Cluster had announced his presence in the Flying Rift the day before to Princess Celestia: he wrote a hasty report to her, and requested back-up in the event of dangerous circumstances. Unfortunately the Princess had not actually received the letter on time, due to minor bureaucratic delays. If the Princess had received the letter the day before, there is no doubt in my mind that she would have ordered a whole squadron of guards to intercept the package delivery incognito. She placed great trust in Cluster's intuition, but in much the same vein as she had pointed out before, he was prone to recklessness, which you have now been a witness to.

In any case, the fact that guards came to help in such a short time, considering the remote location in which the train had been halted, was impressive in and of itself. Princess Celestia had done all she could given such a short amount of time and uncertain expectations of the Flying Rift's fate. The idea that the luxury train would be hijacked by two separate interest groups, and that dozens of ponies would die—that was impossible to predict, which is why the news came as a shock to so many.

When help did arrive only a few questions were asked, quick and easy ones, with the chief aim to piece together the events that had taken place in an adequate fashion. The guards were completely shook by the general sight of everything in front of the train: a considerable section of the mountain range, alongside the tracks before curving off to the side, was completely gone, as if disintegrated. Cluster later reported to Princess Celestia that that had been his doing. The dimeritium inhibitors took an especially long time to find because of how well hidden they were within the train's underlying gears. Then, each of the surviving ponies were transported away to the nearest town, this being Tolstrot, as you know.

Tolstrot was built near the edge of a wide embankment, which bordered an expansive and icy lake. After all that had happened, with a recorded thirty-seven deaths and much property damage, and the whole conspiracy which sprouted after the fact—an investigation of the highest order commenced at once!

The news regarding the involvement of Princess Celestia's personal student, which reached Canterlot the next morning, was, as later confirmed, fairly accurate. Whether any of this had to do with those political tracts—the pamphlets, that is—this was still up for debate and, therefore, was undecided. Of course, it should come to no surprise that news of this sort could travel and become known so quickly.

Proceeding the recovery, the passengers were then transported in groups back to Fillydelphia. Airglow was transported on one of those light hospital beds, covered in a thick blanket, and surrounded by four medial ponies. On the way out, across the terrace and through a pathway of dispersed houses, Airglow caught sight of Cluster from a distance. She tried to lift her head, unable to take her eyes off him; he looked to be in conversation with two guards, and one more medical pony accompanied him from behind. But a hoof softly pressed her back down, informing her to rest.

Just before that, however, for a split second, Cluster turned his head in her direction, and their eyes had met, but he just as quickly looked away.

When she was taken into one of the wagons en route to Fillydelphia, Airglow kept gazing up at the night sky, total anguish highlighting her face. She did not know why, but she felt some inner, fixed, and horrible conviction that she would never see Cluster again.

There was still much to recount, many processes which required completion, countless conversations and courses of action that had been recorded. But I promised to be brief, so I apologize. Let it be known that we will continue our story some four days later, after all had been said and done, and Airglow was escorted out of the Fillydelphia general hospital by a pair of orderlies.

* * *

The several days Airglow had spent at the hospital was of very little comfort to her, largely because she could not get a good grasp of what was leading everything on; and on what foundations could she expect a good future, she did not know. This was all barred from her, on the priority that she was to get well soon, alongside many other injured and downtrodden ponies, which did not help her ascertain much of anything useful.

Airglow was visited by the doctor twice a day, received three meals a day, but only the occasional chatter of nurses kept her attention occupied. She had no books to read, no other pony to talk to besides answering basic questions of physical examinations, and as her weariness of mind grew over the long days, so did her worriment of everything to do with Ponyville.

Although weakened and anguished, Airglow had the outward appearance of an almost healthy young mare. Incidentally, on the day of moving, she felt that she had still not recovered inwardly. She was partly bandaged up, mostly around the waist, and she was provided with two crutches—one under each wing—to support her. Her ribs didn't hurt as much.

At the entrance of the medical institution she was informed that somepony "close in relations" asked for her release two hours in advance; she listened to this with surprise, but did not say anything else. Airglow was ready to head out, never even having thought about where to go, but when she turned around on her clutches, she immediately became overjoyed, as all of her previous anxieties momentarily left her.

There Cluster awaited her.

He was bandaged up himself, but the first thing she noticed was his horn: several layers of medical cloth covered it, which resembled a caste. Cluster's broken horn, after being examined, was treated for very carefully, though with great signs of perplexity at how much it had endured. He was informed that a full recovery could take anywhere from four to ten weeks, maybe more, and that in the meantime he was not to use magic of any kind, not even basic telekinesis to pick up small objects.

The brother and sister stared at each other for a few seconds, unable to say a word. Then, almost forgetting herself, Airglow ran to Cluster, dropping her crutches by accident and all but fell into him in a tight hug. Cluster smiled, returning the embrace.

"Cluster! I... I'm so happy you're safe!" Airglow weeped into his shoulder, squeezing her arms around him. She even seemed to be shuddering all over, as if from a cold.

"Everything's fine," said Cluster in a soft voice, after a moment's hesitation. He held her there, feeling her tears wet his shoulder. Her body felt almost cold to him. "Here, let me get those for you," he said again, slightly parting from her and bending down to pick up her crutches.

"W-Where's Nova?" she asked at once in a trembling, tormented voice, the thought of their brother rushing back to her. "Is he...?"

"He's fine, Airglow. Nova's here in Fillydelphia. He's alive and well."

But Airglow could hardly contain herself; she dissolved into tears once more, and with her long lashes glistening she pressed herself to Cluster again.

Cluster said nothing at first. He started to take a step back, but stopped; he could not make up his mind. Face downcast, he simply let her cry into his shoulder. Though she was still mentally stricken from the incident, she had never felt so happy in her life as she was then and there.

"Hey, sis..." Cluster lifted her chin up, staring into her face.

"Huh?" Airglow blinked a few times, her cheeks completely wet. Cluster's face, the expression of which, until that point, she had not fully taken in, briefly gave her a pause, and for a second she was at a loss for words—he looked so joyful and happy as she had never seen him before, without the least trace of his former aloofness or hints of derisive irony. His eyes were bright and sincere, he smiled gently, every feature on his face was simple to read. She almost didn't recognize him.

"Cluster?" she muttered vaguely.

He bent forth and kissed her on the forehead. He seized her hoof, very carefully and gently helped her back up, and gave her back the crutches.

"I'll stay by your side from now on," he said with that same tender brightness. "I won't leave, not like before, never again."

Airglow almost gave a start. Another thought flashed through her, realizing the gravity of his words, and a wide and heartfelt smile slowly spread on her face. She bent forth and kissed him in return.

"I'm so happy to hear that," she said, wiping her tears away. "I just... just don't even know what I could do... without you here."

"For starters, we can get out of this place. I've rented a room in a hotel, here in the city square. Nova is staying there, too." Cluster looked at the hospital before him, then he turned around. "Let's go before dusk settles in."

Airglow nodded ecstatically at his words, and the two took off down the street, slowly, at her own pace.

"And there's a reason I got you out early," he said. "Lot of ponies from the media are dying to get quick interviews with the survivors of the attack. I figured you wouldn't be ready for that kind of provoking."

"Thank you so much," she muttered, resting her head against him. She simply had nothing else to say.

* * *

They arrived at one of those large hotels with more volume area than is needed, not exactly five-stars, but it was fine enough. They entered through a gateway and stopped for a moment at the reception office. Because this was a hotel, there was a constant walking and running up and down the corridors from various ponies passing through.

Cluster, having his key returned to him and getting away before more of the media ponies could arrive, led Airglow up the flight of stairs to the fourth floor.

"I managed to retrieve most of your luggage from the Flying Rift," said Cluster. "I've also made your bed. Your luggage will be on it. You don't have to worry about anything."

"Thanks, Cluster. But... wait..." she muttered, as if remembering something.

"What is it?"

"Oh, i-it's nothing..." she added hastily for some reason, though with a faint look of solicitude in her eyes.

She followed him down the corridor, they entered the assigned room, and he quickly shut the door. Somewhat typical as far as hotel rooms went, but it was spacious indeed. He set the luggage down, put her crutches against the stool with the lamp, and helped her on the bed. She was watching him intently, very happily, yes, though somewhat dubiously.

"This is a lot of pink," remarked Cluster, having opened the luggage and being presented with almost nothing but pink clothes and accessories, with the occasional ivory white flashing here and there.

"Yeah, well... It's my favourite colour," she said sheepishly.

"I can tell," he chuckled in response. Having set the rest of the luggage aside, he sat next to her. "Here"— he tapped the bed —"there's some very soft pillows and sheets. I can get you a blanket instead if you get too hot."

Airglow acknowledged his comments with a small nod, though she was still in a state of doubt of sorts, not wanting to ask too much of him.

"Oh, that's right!" Cluster hopped off the bed. "You must be hungry, right, sis?" He walked to the cabinet, which Airglow noticed earlier had a menu sitting atop it. Having grabbed it, he placed it next to her. "Hospital food's no good, I'd imagine. I'll order something for you, anything you want. They've got some good options."

Airglow admitted he had a point: she had grown tired of the constant generic and bland food offered to her in the hospital, and only then did she notice how much she missed normal food.

She picked up the menu and scanned the numerous labels. She turned it around to see the desserts, then back to the lunch and dinner section.

"Maybe... um... what are you having?" she added obliquely, lowering the menu to look at him.

"Me? Nothing. I've already had lunch. Go on, get whatever you want."

"I dunno," she muttered, staring at the overwhelming number foods presented to her choosing. "Maybe... Option seven looks promising."

Cluster glanced over her shoulder. "The combo of hay fries and corn pie, with a salad on the side?"

"Yeah, I'll have that."

"Anything to drink?"

"Just water. Thanks."

"Alright, corn pie it is. You'll be as good as new in no time," he said with a smile, about to grab the menu away, but Airglow stopped him.

"Is everything alright, Cluster?" she asked, with the good-natured and honest inquisitiveness of a pony who one can usually trust to open up towards. Airglow had been listening to him very attentively, and glanced searchingly into his face.

"Huh?" Cluster followed her gaze in confusion. Airglow fell silent and her expression softened. Cluster noticed it, but he continued to (seemingly) be in the most excellent of spirits. "Of course everything's alright," he said, blinking a few times.

"Oh, okay," she said, somewhat bewildered. "It's just..."

"Just what?"

"I just wanna know, did something happen? I mean, you're acting really... eh..." Airglow smiled awkwardly, scratching the back of her head. "You weren't like this at all back in Ponyville. N-not that I don't appreciate everything you've done! Please don't get the wrong idea!" she added nervously, her face almost blushing.

"Not like this," muttered Cluster, his smile slowly fading away. He knitted his brows. He was evidently deep in thought. "How did I seem to you then?"

Something peculiar took place in Cluster as he spoke. Some kind of impatient determination, as if to prove himself of something, glittered in his eyes. He fixed his gaze on Airglow, as if wishing to read the whole of her thought.

"I don't know," she said in a low voice, tapping her hooves together, "but... you really seemed to have changed. Something about you is so... I don't know"— She paused, but it soon struck her to finish. "Just feels different, I guess. In a good way. The way you talk is so nice." She raised her eyebrows, smiling. "No, forget it, I'm just overthinking things."

Something did happen to me, thought Cluster absentmindedly, his eyes clouded over for a second. The image of Snowfall whispering to him, holding his hoof, flashed through his mind.

"Uh, Cluster?"

"Yeah, you're right," he said. "You're completely right. Things have changed." His voice was clearer, more sure of itself. "I don't want what's between us to change."

"What do you mean?"

"What I mean is that I didn't know what I had before. What we have right here, here with us, I don't want to lose that. I'm here for you. That's what matters to me."

Airglow, though still unsure of his vague wording, nevertheless understood his sentiment at once. She felt such a warm reverence to see him like this, never having imagined it to be possible before. She was ready to hug him, but was interrupted by three hard, resounding knocks from the front door.

Cluster went and opened it. Nova Steel immediately jumped over the threshold into the room, laughing good-naturedly, throwing his arms around Cluster in a tight embrace.

"It's so good to see you again, brother!" he laughed, tapping him on the back.

Cluster almost got pushed back, but he regained his composure. "Hey, Nova," he said calmly, returning the taps.

"Nova!" beamed Airglow with sparkling eyes; she almost fell over the edge of the bed in excitement, but stopped herself. Nova mostly had bandages wrapped around his forehead, but by how he acted you would hardly be able to tell that he was injured. In his right hoof he carried a small bouquet of purple lilacs.

"Airglow!" Nova rushed to his sister and began planting kisses on her cheeks, laughing merrily. Airglow all too readily accepted his embrace, laughing her fill, with new tears in her eyes.

"Wait, wait," added Nova after a bit, breaking off, presenting her with the bouquet, "when I heard that you checked out of the hospital, I had to get these for you, good heavens, it was a prerequisite for celebration! The prettiest flowers for the prettiest sister in the world!"

"Oh my gosh, you shouldn't have!" Airglow took the flowers, almost sniffling, and hugged him again with her other arm. "Seeing you and Cluster was the best present I could've asked for."

"Didn't I tell you he was fine?" said Cluster, approaching them.

"Yeah, you did," said Airglow in a breathy voice, wiping her tears. "You really did."

Nova was overjoyed. He sat on the bed and went off on a tangent about how he was forced to stay in the hospital for as long as he had. Airglow was overjoyed, too. Cluster looked at his siblings almost with a tender conciliation.

"In any case, I must return to my room to organize my own lost luggage," Nova announced a few minutes after the reunion. "My heart strikes wonders at the sight of you ponies, ha, ha!"

"I'll go get your food," said Cluster to Airglow, feeling they had delayed long enough.

Airglow happily shook her head in agreement. She fell down on the bedsheets and sighed, a smile rarely leaving her lips, head in the clouds.

* * *

Three more days passed, officially marking a full week since the Flying Rift attack. All the while Airglow stayed with Cluster in the hotel room for most of that time; Nova, for some reason they still did not know, stayed in a whole other room. The longer they remained in Fillydelphia, the more the whole visit felt like business, with less and less time being allotted to recover. Not that much time was very necessary in the first place.

A whole new set of rumours circulated in regards to the aforementioned "red light," which several passengers had bore witness to—rumours which were strange and almost contradictory to one another. I call them rumours because many ponies drew a connection to the notion of the Railway Beast, and whether its validity from the children stories could be considered myth any longer. It reached the newspapers in no time at all, with headlines describing how the Railway Beast killed all of those terrorists because, as it was reported in fine print, "It simply acted on the instinct to defend its home, the Flying Rift." Cluster read those articles with no sign of surprise, and even forgot to bring it up in conversation with Airglow. But Airglow knew the truth, at least parts of it, though she could not supply any information about Cluster's magic, not because she promised her brother to keep quiet, but really because she felt like she was going to get way in over her head, and she did not want to give Cluster any unnecessary trouble.

The enormous explosion which had detonated in front of the train—that being Cluster's blast of alicorn magic—nopony witnessed it, and the whole thing was put under investigation. Till then, no official statement in regards to the destroyed mountain range had been put out.

Cluster took the initiative by writing to Olva Velvet, before Airglow had even left the city hospital, assuring her with affirmative phrases and personal guarantees that Airglow was perfectly alive and, quite contrary to her fears, that Airglow had made a full recovery. She wrote back, asking him half a page of questions, thanking him as well, and declaring that she should travel to Fillydelphia, bringing Twinkie along, for "moral support." Cluster's second letter advised her to stay in Ponyville, saying that he would be heading over there with Airglow soon enough, and that Olva would benefit from not leaving Golden Oak so as to "keep the business afloat at all times."

In regards to the media and the politics of the situation, Cluster tried his very best to avoid all of this "officialism," instead going about his days with his sister, taking her shopping, going on walks, talking about anything she wanted to talk about. He informed her that she would be required to make one final check-up at the hospital, then him, then they would take off to Ponyville. That is to say, he would drop her off there, stay in town for a little while, "Because there's something waiting for me there," he had told her, then he would ultimately have to go back to Canterlot (where his original home was located) to speak with the Princess.

There were only two topics of discussion that Cluster outright avoided. The first was anything to do with Snowfall Blaze, for reasons that should be self-explanatory. He resolved to inform Airglow of her existence and tragic death in due time, only he wasn't sure when exactly. The second thing was about Bronze Pocket. That is to say, Cluster not so much avoided talking about their father, but when Airglow once brought it up, asking if he had seen him till that point, he answered no, but just then his face would darken, he would look away while speaking, the tone of his voice would drop, only to change topics quickly.

I guess Cluster still doesn't like dad, Airglow had concluded.

There are many more things to touch upon before we continue on with the story for real, all the way back in Ponyville, so I will do my best to present these events with fashionable brevity.

By the start of the second week, it was revealed why Nova had been staying in a different room. One morning he had stopped by Cluster and Airglow's room. Nova had knocked quickly and energetically on their door; he was evidently animated by some kind of news. He called them down to the reception office, which had become noisy and crowded. Airglow had the impression that several ponies had come in from outside and others were still coming in. Several voices talked and exclaimed at the same time; there was even talking and exclaiming on the stairs, the door to which, from the sound of it, had not been closed. Apparently there was taking place some strange visit. Airglow and Cluster exchanged glances and followed Nova among the crowd.

"Yeah, I'm fine! I said I'm fine!" exclaimed one particular voice in annoyance. A unicorn pony on a wheelchair, his whole body utterly wrapped in medical cloth, including the face which was difficult to make out, wheeled himself to the middle of the room. One doctor and one guard followed him from behind. The annoyed tone displayed by the patient was directed at the doctor, who continuously attempted to control the direction of his wheelchair, but to no avail. The other, a hired bodyguard, simply followed for (as you can imagine) protection.

"Just get me a room here, will ya?" the pony in the wheelchair went on. "Huh..."

He was pressed again by the doctor, and the patient was just about to let him have it, when something caught his eye. He turned his wheelchair to see Airglow facing him directly, with Cluster and Nova just behind her. At first she was straining her eyes to make out his apparently mangled features, but then nothing short of shock and amazement was plastered on her face.

"Hey, Airglow, it's you!" said the pony, leaning forward, but the doctor put a hoof against his shoulder. "I know. Shocked, eh? I look like a freakin' mummy! It's been nothing but uncomfortableness on my end."

"Sharp Heat... is that... really you?" said Airglow in a low voice, feeling herself lose her breath more and more. She was surprised to see such a terribly disheveled, flushed, yet laughing face, in which she instantly recognized Sharp but was rendered horrified by such an appearance.

From behind the bandages and medical cloth he had acquired a nasty scar, a large one spreading all across his face, stopping just under his snout. This gave him a grave and perilous look which made him look like he was in continuous pain, but of course this was not the case.

"He saved at least half the passengers on the Flying Rift," commented Nova, bulging his eyes in emphasis and throwing his hooves in the air. "Sharp Heat, my friend! Ponies will be writing ballets in your honour for many years to come!"

"I owe you one," said Cluster importantly, and with some sense of familiarity that went unnoticed. "You've done a lot."

"There's too many ponies here," said Sharp's doctor, "we ought to be on our way. If you'll excuse me..."

"Eh, fine by me," said Sharp, "let's be on our way. Hey, Airglow!" Airglow gave a start, looking at him with eyes on the verge of crying. "Feel free to stop by my room whenever you want, I could use the feedback on my performance. Ha, ha! Um, anyway, uh, right... Later!" He was promptly wheeled out of the office, into one of the corridors.

"You okay?" asked Cluster, nudging Airglow.

She looked at him in a somewhat furtive way. Up until that moment, she had truly believed that Sharp had succumbed to his injuries and, therefore, would have bitten the dust; but even if he lived, she could not help but shoulder the blame to some extent. Everything he had done in that final fight—he did it to protect her.

But she was thoroughly reassured later that day that Sharp was expected to make a full recovery, and that the surgery which he had gone through the week before—something to do with repairing damaged organs and a loss of blood—was an absolute success.

Even so, ever since then it was as if some light in Airglow had dimmed, and she spoke her every word with less resolve and enthusiasm since then. She wanted very much to make it up to Sharp—though how she planned to go about doing so, she did not know. But the fact that he was alive was enough to put Airglow in a better mood, allaying the earlier solicitude in her expression.

* * *

Later that day Cluster took her to the hospital for her final check-up, then she came back and stayed in the room, reading some books Cluster picked up for her on the way. He was about to take off for his final check-up, but first he visited Sharp Heat in his room to go over the finalization of any remaining report to Princess Celestia. He had gotten acquainted with Sharp not too long ago.

Sharp was still on official duty, despite his less-than-inspiring condition. He had been gathering as much information as possible from numerous sources, piecing together the mystery of the so-called "elixir," and Cluster supposed he called him in for that very same reason. Cluster could in no way anticipate what impression awaited him there, but he imagined it as non-eventful.

"The ponies in black and white were all cut down, no half measures taken," remarked Sharp. "Did you know what they were up to?"

"No, I didn't. I was investigating on my own terms."

"Ahh... Well, can't blame you. Princess Celestia herself has issued numerous guards to patrol both Fillydelphia and Canterlot. The security for the upcoming Annual Autumn Festival has been beefed up, too. Do you intend on coming?"

"Maybe. I haven't thought about it all that much. I live in Canterlot, so travel distance wouldn't pose any problem. If anything it's a lack of interest."

Sharp gave him a look, but shook his head and gathered the pile of papers on his desk, shoving them into a saddlebag strapped to the side of his wheelchair.

"So," he went on more seriously, "did you really do it? Did you kill all of the terrorists?"

"Yeah, I did," replied Cluster, not quietly, but directly and bluntly.

"Was that all really necessary? Not that I'm judging you or anything. Just interested, is all."

There came a pause, in which Cluster surveyed the room they were in, as if it were his habit, then he stared keenly at Sharp.

"It's strange, isn't it?" he said after a while. Some kind of inappropriate smile was on his face. "When we're in the thick of it, with a hoof each in the grave, we do whatever it takes to survive. It's only after surviving do we think if what we did was right or wrong."

Sharp Heat hummed in thought, looking out the window for a second.

"I did what I had to," said Cluster. "That's all there is to it."

"Like I said, I was only asking, not judging. By the way"— he started searching through his saddlebag for something, but after half a minute gave up —"have you seen those political pamphlets, the ones which began with the story of that foreign investor?"

"Heard about them."

"Have you read them at all, even just some of the front covers? They've got quotes from a few of the fatherland articles you've written in the past."

"Haven't gotten around to reading that sort of stuff." Cluster was speaking decidedly, almost mechanically, as if he had no interest in these so-called pamphlets; although this was not exactly the case, it just so happened that his head was swimming with other unrelated apprehensions.

"The whole thing looks like one large, elaborate prank if you ask me. We-ell, maybe you shouldn't bother with it, anyway. What's really screwing me up is that word, 'elixir.' You told me that you think they were talking about an elixir of immortality? Is that even possible?"

"It's definitely possible. And in Celestia's case..." Cluster stopped. Is this why Celestia wanted me to keep out of it? I've read the history books: the elixir of immortality was a legendary artifact that existed thousands of years ago. Just like these fairytales of the Railway Beast or Nightmare Moon, it doesn't exist. But... I could be wrong. "No, I'd have to ask Celestia herself directly. I don't want to pointlessly speculate."

"I see," said Sharp. He sighed, with a look of total concentration, and he wheeled himself to the other end of the room. "I'll have to report it to the Princess at once. I'll also be leaving soon; I'm going to Ponyville."

"I know you were going to investigate, but soon? As in—"

"As in today soon. I'll be checking outta this piece of junk"— he lightly tapped the rims of both wheels —"and I have to look into that anomaly you mentioned in your report. Let me repeat what you told me, so as to be clear: a mare by the name of Misty Gem received a book from Golden Oak Library just this August; she claimed to have found a card inside with the words 'elixir sixty-six,' as well as a random series of numbers on the other side; her house was ransacked a few weeks after the fact; did I get it all?"

"The gist of it. But," Cluster raised his voice strangely, as if changing the subject, "are you going by yourself to Ponyville?"

"That's correct. I gotta make a grand sweep to find that card; it may just be the key to all of this. Will I be seeing you in Ponyville tomorrow night?"

"Probably. The problem is that I haven't confirmed yet if Misty Gem is still in Ponyville. She might have left."

"Perhaps..." Sharp simply waved him off. "We'll see when we get there."

But his words on the topic were left uncertain and unfinished. Cluster was ready to take off, but Sharp Heat grabbed his attention once more.

"Wait, you actually reminded me of something," said Sharp. Cluster gave him an inquisitive look, and he was quick to add, "About those terrorists from the Flying Rift, I mean. I'm real curious—have you ever been to Saddle Arabia?"

"No, I haven't. What brings it up?"

"It ain't exactly the most pleasant story, but hear it out. My grandfather used to be in the Royal Guard, he served directly under Princess Celestia. This is the type of thing you'd only hear from your old folks, really. Around sixty years ago, back when my father was still a kid, my grandfather was assigned to travel with a group of mages on an excavation to Saddle Arabia, way out to the east of the Equestrian border. Putting aside the atypicality of culture shock, one thing they have there—or had, rather, I still dunno if they have it today—was capital punishment. It's a weird thing to have described to you, not the death part, but the whole process behind it. Completely different civilization there. I'd imagine that it'd almost be like a surreal experience, since we don't have capital punishment in the form of public execution, here in Equestria.

"Anyway, they used the guillotine, and in Saddle Arabia only the worst criminals get the guillotine. My grandfather was in the crowd when he first got to see the thing in action. Now!" Sharp clapped his hooves together, inclining himself forward. "Let's suppose that you, Cluster, are wanted for murder in their country. There you'd have to stand trial for murder. And if you're found guilty"— Cluster nearly cocked his head back at Sharp's strange emphasis —"the law enforcement of Saddle Arabia will execute you in the town square, at whatever city you happen to be in. You'll be brought on this wooden platform, head put through the opening, and an executioner will pull the lever to bring the blade down, lopping your head clean off. And, if all those things end up taking place, that's what Saddle Arabians call punitive justice—the punishment fits the crime, in this case murder, and it sends a message to every would-be murderer who values their heads. It's a pretty effective deterrent, ain't it?

"However," Sharp went on, leaning back on his chair, "if the relatives and loved ones of the pony you murdered barged into your house one night, pulled you out onto the streets, and killed you themselves with their own hooves, that would be frontier justice. The good part about frontier justice is that it's very gratifying. But the bad part is that it's apt to be wrong, as much wrong as it can be right. But really, what's the difference between frontier and punitive justice? The main difference is the executioner. To the executioner it really doesn't make a lick of difference what the criminal did; when he pulls that lever he gets no satisfaction for their death—it's his job. He cuts off some Arabian pony's head, gets paid, moves on to the next, and repeat. Thing is, the executioner is a dispassionate pony, and that dispassion is what drives the essence of justice."

"And justice without dispassion runs the risk of not being proper justice," Cluster rounded off.

"That's exactly it," replied Sharp Heat, and he suddenly bent him a long and comparatively curious look. "So, I really wanted to ask you, Cluster—for the sake of my analogy—when you were killing those terrorists back in the Flying Rift, knocking 'em down one at a time, were you acting under the mindset of punitive justice... or frontier justice?"

"Technically it'd be frontier, wouldn't it, since none of them were ever officially tried for murder?"

"Right, right..." Sharp shifted to the side in his seat. "But they were all caught red-hoofed, so obviously there's some grey area there. Still, I really got to wonder, was it personal in any way? How much passion did you feel in what you did?"

Cluster was silent, thinking it over. He almost grimaced but stopped himself, then said, "None at all." He placed his hoof on the doorknob.

Sharp Heat blinked.

"Well..." He shrugged and turned away. "Was just letting you in on something. Don't get too much into the habit of... eh, certain things. You never know."

They did not exchange anything else. Cluster bid him farewell and was off. Sharp Heat sat in silence for a full minute, doing nothing, then he starting checking through his saddlebag again.

* * *

Later that day a mailpony delivered a letter to Cluster. It was from Princess Celestia. The letter was very short, with only two sentences. The first expressed gratitude at his recovery and commended him on his bravery. The second asked to meet with him, and when would he be available. (Princess Celestia also added in parentheses that he did not have to come to Canterlot, and that she would come to him.)

Cluster found this somewhat confusing, but he did not think much on it. He wrote back to her that she could visit Ponyville the day after tomorrow, because, in his words, "I still have some things that I need to sort through."

When it was nearing evening of the next day—after Sharp left for Ponyville—when Cluster had exited the hospital and was heading back to the hotel, he unexpectedly encountered Nova on the roadside, heading for the coachpony station. They struck a brief yet bizarre conversation, and a fairly one-sided conversation at that.

"Wait, you're leaving now?" asked Cluster in surprise. Indeed, Nova looked to be all set for a trip. He had checked out of his room just an hour before.

"Yes, I have to leave this city, brother," said Nova. Something in his voice was strained, as if in conflict with itself. It looked like Nova was forcing himself to smile.

"Where are you going?"

"I am going to Ponyville." Nova paused, then he added in a stranger tone, "I am going to get those five thousand bits back. Do you... understand?"

Nova continued walking, but Cluster stopped him.

"Wait, you're going to see our dad? You don't mean...?" Cluster gave him a long look.

That same strain, now menacing, flashed in Nova's face. He nodded slowly, indecisively, then said, "I'm terribly sorry to cause you any grievances. Tell our sister as well that I apologize for leaving without saying goodbye." He took another two steps, stopped, then told Cluster in a clearer, more pronounced voice, "I need money, brother. I find myself in great extremities. Besides, those five thousand are still mine. So..."

What led to Nova's sudden departure was two things. First, his initial five thousand bits, which he had taken with him to spend in the Luna Bay casino, was indefinitely lost, caught up in the torrent of destruction from the Flying Rift. Not that this should have come as a shock: many ponies had lost their luggage, or parts of it, and Nova happened to be one of the unlucky ones. The second thing, perhaps more coincidental, is that he had chanced upon a conversation while wandering the span of the city, during one of his detours, in which he heard a mare say the name "Bouquet Rose." He turned in the direction of this mare and approached her. He had introduced himself as Nova Steel, stating that he stood on intimate terms with Bouquet, and that he was very perplexed to hear her name so suddenly. He learned that this mare was the maid which Bouquet had hired during her short stay in Ponyville (during Maxim's birthday party).

"It's my pleasure to have made your acquaintance, Mr. Steel," said the maid. "To answer your question, she's gone off to Baltimare."

"When?" asked Nova.

"Why, just about this morning. She was here, in Fillydelphia."

Nova was utterly dumbstruck. "What? Here, in Fillydelphia?" he cried. "Why has she gone off to Baltimare?"

"W-why, you ask?" the maid said in a faint voice. "Well, sir, I'm not sure why exactly. I think it's to see some officer, she called him her 'former one,' from some number of years ago. Perhaps somepony invited her there."

Nova looked upon the maid speechless, which frankly made her feel uncomfortable. He was pale as death, but one could see from his eyes that he had understood everything at once, everything, everything all at once, at half a word, had understood it to the last detail and figured it all out. It was not for the poor maid, of course, who had only worked under Bouquet for a few weeks, to notice at that moment whether he had understood or not. After they bid each other farewell, Nova had sat there on a nearby bench, not pondering exactly, but as if in fear, as if in some kind of stupor.

But everything was clear as day: this officer, this "former one"—he knew about him, he knew everything perfectly well, knew it from Bouquet herself, knew that a month ago a letter had come from him. So for a whole month this affair had been going on in deep secret from him, up to the present arrival of this new stallion, and he had not even given him a thought! Why had he simply forgotten about the officer, forgotten the moment he learned of him? That was the question that stood before him like some sort of demon. And he indeed contemplated this new information in fear, in cold fear.

Cluster felt within himself, in that moment of having bumped into Nova, something inconceivable and terrible was about to take place. He looked at his brother, now ready to leave, and all of his familiarity and casualness seemed to drop away; his whole face expressed extreme attention and expectation, but quiet and almost bashful now.

"Don't you want to say anything more?" he asked.

"I'm afraid not, brother." Nova reached out to shake his hoof, indicating his farewell.

But Cluster, much to Nova's surprise, did not say anything else, and he even laughed a little. Anypony could see from his face that he was certainly not laughing at all out of merriment. On the contrary, something ominous seemed to flash in his eyes. He turned around and quickly walked away, halfheartedly waving his hoof back. Nova looked onwards for a moment, then he shook his head, seeming beside himself, and went to the station.

* * *

Cluster walked quickly on the way back, the state of his mind indefinite. He himself felt that he had lost his bearings, and the idea of Nova leaving early to Ponyville, when in that same day all three siblings could have all gone to Ponyville together, was indeed very ominous. He even started to feel something hateful gnaw at his heart, as if he were about to take revenge on somepony.

Then he would stop himself, thinking with irritation, No, why am I thinking like this? I'm not going to be like him. Damn it... He took a little detour around several blocks, giving himself a moment to ponder the certainty of events which lay before him. Anypony could have seen that some kind of anxiety darkened his face, and it remained darkened for a long while. He was deep in thought, then noticed how far he had strayed, that he was already late, so he turned around.

Right before Cluster went back to the hotel, he had an encounter with a certain pony, one he would never have expected. Everything had seemed so normal starting from the previous week, with all accounts coming to a better than expected close. But first Nova's sudden departure, and now this encounter especially threw everything in for a loop.

Walking down the block, a dark, imposing figure passed Cluster by. Cluster almost stopped right then and there, feeling some revolting sensation surge through him, and he nearly turned around on his own accord. And right when he was about to go about his business, a voice called out to him, "Do you happen to be Cluster Tale?"

The voice had very strange intonations in its tone. It was deep, yet calm and full of charisma, the sort of voice which demands attention and respect once you hear it.

Cluster looked behind him. A unicorn stallion was staring at him, but he did not bear the slightest resemblance to any pony Cluster had ever set his eyes on.

Many features on this stranger struck out, particularly his eyes: the irises were red, but the parts around it shimmered gold. He flashed Cluster a smile, and his teeth were almost blindingly white. Everything else seemed to lay hidden in his dark coat and mane.

"Who are you?" asked Cluster, somewhat reluctantly.

At first Cluster guessed that this pony was one of those representatives from high society who seldom venture out to the streets, the sort who create a stunning effect when they do so, but his gut told him that this was not the case. Rather, this stranger was simply the type who possessed the charm and force of personality that could compel any pony to take his friendship at face value. But everything else about him, from his composure to the way he had asked the question, felt eerie to Cluster.

"I'm Marble Solid," replied the strange unicorn.

Cluster stared in silence, his pupils shrinking at the realization.

What?

They simply stood there, looking at each other, as if no other pony in the world existed. Countless thoughts raced through his head. His teeth clenched shut, but he did not say a word. This stallion now had his full attention, and he at once understood what had caused that revolting sensation.

"Don't be alarmed," said the so-called Marble Solid. "Nothing bad will befall you. Consider this nothing more than a preliminary course of action."

But Cluster did not respond. A light flashed in Marble Solid's eyes.

"I see you're occupied with other matters," he said again. He suddenly turned around and started walking away. "We will see each other sooner or later, won't we? I find myself very interested in you."

"Wai—" Cluster began to say, but stopped himself. He was breathing with difficulty, watching with horror as Marble Solid turned to the side and, striding into the dense crowds, saying to him, "There is nothing to worry about," vanished from sight behind everypony.

Cluster kept looking ahead for a long time, still coming to terms with what just happened. He took a step backwards, almost stumbling, pressing a hoof to his forehead. Something like nausea was coming over him.

Was I being too careless? he thought at once. Was that really...? Is somepony coming after me?

He did not even notice that several ponies were staring at him. Cluster was standing in the open with a completely distraught face, as if he had seen a ghost. Somepony was about to tap him on the shoulder, to ask if he was alright, but he audibly huffed, turned around, and continued down the block with a rapid gait.

Nothing bad will befall me, is that it? Don't get complacent. And was that really the guy behind the train attack? I need more information.

Having reached the hotel room, the first thing he said to Airglow was, "Pack your things, we're leaving."

"Leaving right now?" Airglow peeked under the curtains of the window. "Isn't it still kinda early?"

"A little bit, but Nova already left." Cluster was walking across the room, grabbing whatever would be necessary for the trip.

"Nova left? For Ponyville?" Airglow looked at him in considerable surprise.

"Yeah, for Ponyville. We should go now. It's better this way in any case, because we'll arrive there late evening instead of the dead of night, which gives me more time to sort some stuff out. You'll see."

Airglow acknowledged his point, but she was still startled by this sudden development, as it were. At first Cluster seemed to be in a hurry, but reaching the reception office he slowed to a crawl, almost seeming to stall for time. She wanted to ask him more questions, but he kept reassuring her that she would understand once they arrived in Ponyville. Soon after and they reached the station.

PreviousChapters Next