• Published 16th Mar 2019
  • 756 Views, 11 Comments

Apropos of the Sinners - SpitFlame



(Featured on EqD) A dark and tragic event occurred some years ago in Ponyville, and it involved an equally dark and dysfunctional family. They are still discussed among us to this day.

  • ...
1
 11
 756

PreviousChapters Next
Part II – Chapter IV – The Family Dispute

The following day rushed in like an unprecedented storm. Airglow had not been feeling particularly inspired or at ease, and her conversation with Cluster yesterday did not help to remedy these feelings. All the negative elements had been adding up and meshing hideously—the unquenchable contempt between Nova and her father, threats of violence and even murder, Cluster's ambiguous remark ('serpent will eat serpent'?), and the total dejection which rested in the soul of each and every one of her family members.

It was a Sunday morning, a little over half-past ten. Airglow left Golden Oak even more broken and dejected in spirit than when she last spoke with Bronze. Her mind was splintered and scattered, as it were, while she herself felt at the same time even afraid to bring the scattered pieces together and draw a general idea from all the contradictions she had heard in the past two days. Still, still—not all was lost. She had to witness what the future had in store.

And so, in that morning, she went to Bronze's house as per requested, and found her father at the table with Cluster. The table was laid more like a dining table than anything, but there was clearly no dinner to be seen.

I just now remembered something, that is, I forgot to provide the reader with a physical description of the drawing room in which the table was laid (the drawing room and not, strangely enough, the actual dining room). It was the biggest room in the house, almost too spacious in my opinion. The furniture was very ancient, which resembled that sort of old-fashioned pretentiousness you only read about in novels. Fancy mirrors in wooden frames, with old-fashioned carvings, hung in the spaces between the high windows. The walls, covered with yellow and burgundy wallpaper, were now cracked in many places. There was that oil-painted canvas Bronze had bought at the auction, placed on the wall; it was awfully out of place, though Bronze was pleased with it.

Speaking of Bronze, he went to bed very late that night, at about one in the morning, and until then he would pace around the room or sit in a chair and think about his debit and credit accounts: he had been investing in bonds and was now trying to pay off his note payables. Staying up late at night was a habit of his. He was frequently alone, which left him feeling rather spiteful and disagreeable. This morning he was clearer of mind, more certain of things, and not at all agitated.

The ponies present were having coffee. Cluster sat opposite of Bronze, and he too was sipping on some coffee; though Bronze had added far too much vodka to his own, which gave it a positively repugnant smell. Shovel Rod and another servant stood near the table, the latter being unusually animated. Bronze was roaring loudly with laughter. From the front hall Airglow heard his shrill laughter, by now so familiar to her, and she concluded, Doesn't sound like he's drunk, only in a benevolent mood. That's good.

"There she is! Here she comes!" cried Bronze, terribly glad to suddenly see Airglow. "Join us at the table, take a seat, dear. Have some coffee—it's dark roast, dark roast, and it's hot, it's good! I won't offer you any brandy, let alone vodka, because it's not good for you. Hey, Sandy"— he called to the servant, a young, frail-looking stallion —"get more coffee beans and brew them up."

Airglow refused the coffee and sat down next to Cluster.

"It'll be served all the same, if not for you then for us, with a dash of vodka," went on Bronze. "So, Airglow, did you have breakfast at your library?"

(Speaking of libraries, Bronze had a whole book-room in his house, with at least two hundred volumes on all sorts of topics. But they only collected dust; he had hardly read a book in his life. The room was largely ignored.)

"Yeah, I ate this morning," said Airglow, who in truth had only had a serving of jam. "But maybe I could have some bread?" she added, noticing the bread-filled basket in the distance.

"Absolutely, my dear! Would you like that with butter?"

The servant brought a plate with two slabs of bread, and Airglow spread the butter herself with the silver utensils that were also brought to her.

"Anyway"— Bronze playfully slapped the table —"Cluster was talking to Sandy and Shovel here about Princess Celestia, though they hardly understood a word of it. I have my own commentary, too."

Cluster gave Bronze a solitary, sidelong look, and took another sip of coffee.

"What is it?" asked Bronze.

"Oh, nothing. I'm sure you've got your commentaries all prepped up," replied Cluster.

"He said some in-ter-est-ing things," Bronze addressed Airglow this time. "He wrote an article about our Princess, made a case against her domain or whatever. What did you think about it, Sandy?"

The servant was silent.

"Answer me, fool!"

"It was... funny," replied the servant.

"Well, there he goes. And you, Shovel?"

"It's all lies," Shovel drawled, giving Bronze a sour look.

"If you want to prove Cluster wrong, go to the library. Heh, heh!"

"What did Cluster say?" asked Airglow.

"Celestia is in a strange position, that's all," said Cluster. "Should she be dethroned, or not?"

Airglow cocked her head back, staring at Cluster with the most marked confusion. "Princess Celestia is the greatest pony in the whole world. She does everything for us. Why be dethroned?"

"Because her rule is based on power and nothing else."

"Lies, curse you!" snapped from Shovel unexpectedly. His face was pale with vexation.

"Pah!" said Bronze, waving him off. "You hear that, Airglow? Read his article, it's quite the treat. A drop of vanity and a dagger to the heart—that's how these ponies think. I believe you spoke sincerely, Cluster. You're a naughty pony, Cluster, but sincere. Take all these princess-governed hierarchies and abolish it at once. Bring ponies to reason, start a true democracy. Abolish it, abolish it."

"But why abolish it?" asked Cluster.

"So Celestia no longer rules over us, and the truth will flood forth like it should."

"But if this 'truth' floods in, you'll be the first to be... abolished."

"Wh-at?"

"Modern civilization wouldn't exist if it were not for Celestia. She upholds the current moral law. Without it, there would be no reason to not go murder and steal; and, if anything, it would fall within our self-interest to commit the most heinous of actions should we be left to our own free will. In short, without Celestia everything is permitted on all accounts."

"Pah! You're probably right. What a buffoon I am. Would you believe it, Cluster, that such buffoonery torments me in my feelings? No, you don't, I can see it in your eyes. You believe I'm just a buffoon. Airglow, do you believe that I'm only a lowly buffoon?"

"No, I don't believe that."

"And I believe that you believe it. Not so with Cluster, who declared that Princess Celestia's rule is based solely on power. All hierarchies are based on power, isn't that right?"

"That's not true," said Cluster at once, and a gleam came to his eyes. "Not every hierarchy is a power struggle. Some hierarchies are based on competence."

"For example?" Bronze bent forward.

"For example, modern businesses, which have nothing to do with power. The executives climb to the top because they possess the best foresight. But with Celestia..." He trailed off, feeling that his point had been made.

"Your word is worth a piece of gold, son," laughed Bronze.

"You're anathema and cursed even now," broke from Shovel suddenly.

"Wait! Stop, Shovel, no abuse!" cried Bronze. "Goodness, Cluster, this all feels tantamount. Tell me, my boy, however did you end up as Princess Celestia's prized pupil? Why is she so interested in you? What have you done to endear yourself to her?" he added, turning to Cluster.

"Nothing specific," replied Cluster. "She was impressed with my latent magical abilities. That's what my cutie mark represents: I specialize in destruction magic, although I can perform other feats, like teleportation or transmutation. She saw potential in me, in comparison to my classmates, all of whom were and continue to be prime fodder."

"Prime fodder?"

"The better ones always succeed the bottom ladder-dwellers. Surely you understand, considering your line of work."

"Don't give me any of that, Cluster. I for one know that you can't stand me, or anypony else for that matter. Still, Princess Celestia has taken to respecting you. I wonder how that goes. Say, is your relationship with the Princess worth talking about?"

"No, it's not."

"Still, still..." But he interrupted himself with another shot of vodka.

"You've had another glass," said Cluster emphatically. "That's enough."

"Wait, wait, I'll have one more, then another, then I'll stop. But I wasn't finished! Still you say that everything is permitted, Cluster. But only if Princess Celestia is taken out of the picture?"

"Everything is always permitted in theory, with or without Celestia. Removing her would simply cement that fact."

"Airglow, why are you blushing?" Bronze gave her a long look. "Don't be bashful, child. Tell me, do we need Princess Celestia?"

"Yes, we do," replied Airglow at once, and a sad smile appeared on her lips. "She's the wisest in all the land."

"And tell me, Cluster, for real this time: do we need Princess Celestia?"

"No, we don't."

"Airglow, is the Princess incorruptible? Can she ever be corrupted?"

"No, it's not in her nature to be corrupted."

"What say you, Cluster?"

"She'll succumb eventually, one way or the other. She's still a pony, after all."

"Hmm..." Bronze dropped his face, assuming a pensive expression; after a few seconds he looked back up. "I bet Cluster is right. Goodness, just imagine what we would do without the Princess. Tell me, Cluster, for the last time: do we need her?"

"For the last time—no we don't."

"But is she moral?"

"She is."

"Why is that?"

"Because she says so. Celestia sets up her own moral code, and that's how she governs the country."

"So who's laughing at us ponies then? Who? Who?"

Cluster shrugged. "Must be Nightmare Moon. But..."

"But what?"

"She doesn't exist."

"And like you said, civilization wouldn't exist if not for Princess Celestia?"

"Right. And there wouldn't be any vodka either, nor brandy, so I'll have to take it away from you."

"Wait, wait, wait," Bronze pleaded, but to no avail. Cluster lit his horn and levitated the beverages to his side of the table.

Bronze scoffed and waved his hoof.

"Pah! That's how you are!" he said with irritation. Then, with a slight exclamation, he lowered his shoulders and smacked his lips. "I bet I offended Airglow," he said again more softly. "You're not angry with me, Airglow? My dear daughter, my sweet daughter!"

"No, I'm not angry," said Airglow. "I try to understand you. Maybe you have a good heart, too."

"A good heart?" cried Bronze joyfully. "Goodness, that's the best I've gotten. Tell me, Cluster, do you love Airglow?"

Cluster nodded. "I love her."

"Well said!" The drinks Bronze had had up till now were beginning to manifest their effect on him; his speech was gradually becoming more slurred. "I'm getting all hoofy-tippy now. Ech! Cluster, why won't you go to Appleloosa for me? I asked you to go, for a day or two, but you won't go. I need to sell that woodlot no matter what!"

Cluster rolled his eyes. "I'll go tomorrow if you're that desperate. But don't keep insisting."

"You won't go. You want to keep me in check, you want to ruin me, that's what you want! You're a wicked soul, that's why you refuse to help me!"

The old stallion would not be still, and he even started to thump his hind-legs on the floor. He had reached that level of drunkenness at which some alcoholics, who until then had been perfectly calm and tranquil, now wish to get angry and make a scene.

"What kind of look is that, Cluster!" reproached Bronze, gnashing his teeth. "Why are you staring at me? Your mouth is silent, but your eyes say, 'You're a rotten twig!' Suspicious, malicious, impudent... You look at me and it's clear you're planning something, but Airglow looks at me and she's as innocent as a butterfly. Airglow doesn't hate me. Airglow, don't love your Cluster. He's wicked, wicked."

"Please, dad, don't say those things about him," said Airglow all of a sudden, quietly yet insistently.

Bronze lapsed into thought and suddenly a cunning smile spread on his face.

"Maybe I'll stop, maybe I won't," he said. "Oof! Don't be angry with an old buffoon like me, Cluster. I know you don't love me, but please, please don't be angry. Go to Appleloosa for me, and I'll bring you presents. I'll even show you a young wench there. She's a pearl, just like Airglow. And you, Airglow, you're just like your mother... you and Cluster's... your mother... but not Nova's mother, unlike you two..."

"But we, I think, have different mothers, wouldn't you agree?" said Cluster, flashing an angry glare at Bronze.

"What... you do...?" Bronze blinked several times, giving Cluster a lost look. "But you and she... I mean... oh, right, right!" He smacked himself on the forehead. "That's right, you and Airglow have different mothers. Oof! My mind just went blank as never before, my friend. Ah! Yes, yes, both those mares are buried in the backyard. Not the first... we couldn't find her body, I don't think... but still, there's much to discuss."

Apparently there was not much to discuss, because before anything else could be said, the doorbell rang. The young servant answered it, a few voices were in exchange, and half a minute later Nova appeared in the room.

"I have arrived just in time," said Nova in a clear and, as it were, strained voice. "I am now here to settle our account."

Everypony in the room, save Cluster, stared questioningly at him. He approached the table with his resolute strides, slowly and as if indecisively, as if trying to maintain a pedantic composure, set his saddlebag down and took a seat. The time had come.

Strangely enough, Bronze, who had been relatively merry and had laughed so much, ended up frowning. He scowled and slammed his hoof on the table.

"Clear out! Go, out, out!" he shouted at the servants, who withdrew at once.

In that moment another fear began to stir in Airglow, of quite another sort, something more immediate, in the moment. But this she was unable to define.

"Great," said Cluster, and he cast a glance at the clock. "It's eleven, on the dot. You're in luck, old-timer."

"You look tired," said Airglow to Nova. "Did you run here?"

"Such are the jumbles of nature. Ha, ha!" cried Nova, raising a hoof. "I meant to come earlier, Airglow darling. No, I haven't gotten into another row; don't believe that phantom." And quite instantly his face darkened when he set his sights on Bronze. "Only you. I am here only for you."

Bronze sluggishly fidgeted in his seat. He fixed Nova with a contemptuous, tired, and sullen gaze.

"Here's where we're at," began Cluster, getting out of his seat, and pacing back and forth in front of the table. The tone of his voice betrayed an unmistakable haste to it. "Bronze and Nova are in a dispute over five thousand bits. Bronze claims the money is legally his and no longer owed to anypony. Nova, on the contrary, claims that he's been cheated, and that surely he's the rightful owner of those five thousand. Let me go over the legal necessities."

And Cluster explained the whole history which led up to this dispute—that is, the lump sum owed to each child, the actions taken by Nova to collect his fair share, the jurisprudence of how courts would treat the matter, and the basic municipal laws in regards to such a dispute, because this happened to be a civil case and not a criminal one.

Cluster spoke clearly and precisely, without wasting so much as a word, and using relatively simple language so that nopony got confused. He explained everything very well in a matter of five minutes.

"Eight years ago a contract was produced," Cluster continued, and on these words he levitated a paper from his saddlebag and placed it on the table. "It reads, fifth paragraph: 'all that is owed to one Nova Steel, regardless of current position, will be collected on such-and-such a day and on such-and-such a time, or, if failed to comply, all proceedings will be reduced and, consequently, the sum of the owed inheritance will be transfered to Bronze Pocket's chequing account,' and so on and so forth. The signature at the bottom is Nova's."

"You see!" cried Bronze, and he heaved himself up. He spoke with a sort of ecstasy. "The rascal signed it! That signature was the end of you. Heh! I knew you would underestimate me, but that I still had to play fair, so I used your weakness against you. It's all over."

"I'm not finished," said Cluster imperiously. "The contract was produced on this date, eight years and two months ago, using a private typewriting firm, instead of a public one."

"So what?" Bronze raised his eyebrows.

"With public firms you must pay annual premium taxes when filing your income tax returns. You can only use public firms if ineligible for the private plans. You always managed to pay your annual taxes."

"And?"

"When using a private firm, unlike the public service sector, you'll get personalized mail every year discussing the specifics pertaining to your usage of their services, and the transactions will be made then. I took the liberty of visiting the very company you hired for this contract and had them do a little preliminary sniffing. Under the name 'Pocket, Bronze,' a noticeable gap appeared, beginning that same day, eight years and two months back."

"Damn it, Cluster, get to the point!"

"To my understanding, you managed to get away without paying them for this contract, and hung on the hopes that nopony would find out. But, unfortunately for you, I did my research. In other words, as goes Equestrian civil law, this contract is null and void."

"It's what!" cried Bronze, beside himself with fury. He was even clutching the edge of the table. "What do you mean, it's 'null and void'? What does that even mean? Says who?"

"Says Equestrian law, old-timer."

Bronze was dumbfounded and stared wide-eyed at the orator.

"As you can see," began Nova proudly and triumphantly, striking his chest outwardly, yet speaking evenly and gravely, conscious of his victory but being bounteous, as it were, with the vanquished foe, "there is no other way to divide this stream. It's gone on long enough, but justice is imminent, a true justice, a higher justice. And I spit on you, father!"

"Still now you lie!" cried Bronze at Cluster. "I knew it, I knew it from the start. You want to ruin me. I'll grind you to ash, you hear?" And he turned to Nova once more, declaring, "You won't get a bit from me, you scoundrel! Wait, wait, that's not all. The promissory notes, Airglow! Remember the ones I showed you? Nova owes me thousands."

"And how do you expect to be paid without paying me first?" rebutted Nova.

"Go to Misty Gem for money. She's rich and young and eager, a real aristocrat. Say"— a thought suddenly struck him —"why aren't you married yet? Go and marry that mare!"

"You swine, don't you dare mention her name!" yelled Nova. He was trembling all over. "I long for it, true, with the curve of my soul and even with my ribs, but... I..." He heaved a deep sigh and scrunched his face. "I'm afraid she might not love me."

"Pah! Those are trifles!" guffawed Bronze. "This is marriage, not romance."

"For now I wish only to settle my mother's account."

"And like I said, you won't get a bit from me!"

"Must I take this to court?" reproached Nova threateningly, instantly wavering on his composure. "I demand to be given what is rightfully mine!"

"Court, you say?" Bronze stared nose-down at him, and suddenly, with a wild look, he smiled mockingly. "Go, go," he raised his voice. "Go to the courts! Make a public spectacle. Drag our family name into the dirt."

"You did that before we were born!"

"S-coun-drel!" cried Bronze madly; every feature on his face was twitching. He jumped up and knocked his chair over.

"Stop it, both of you," Cluster nearly shouted, but he managed to keep his indoor voice. "We're getting nowhere with this. Let's back up. Nova, what exactly did he tell you on that day?"

"His word is worth less than the dirt his mother was buried under!" cried Bronze.

"For the sake of Princess Celestia herself," interjected Nova heatedly, hardly able to contain himself, "how is it that such a pony is allowed to live? Where is the justice in it all? How can he go on disgracing the world with his filth?"

"Good gracious, Nova, I wish dueling was never outlawed, because then I'd challenge you on the spot... at four paces... with crossbows!"

"Ha, ha, splendid! I would get to kill you with no repercussions."

"Scoundrel!"

"Swine!"

Both were, at this point, screaming tremulously. Bronze in particular was gasping for breath.

"P-please calm down," Airglow tried to speak commandingly, but she was not heard.

"Shameless impostor!" Nova roared.

"He says that to his father, his father!" Bronze cried in a voice not his own, looking around wildly, as if seeking confirmation for his bloated indignation. "You'll never get those five thousand! I have it hid in a small chest, specifically from you. Heh, heh!"

"Five thousand? In a chest?" Nova slammed his hoof on the table with all his might, causing Airglow to nearly fall off her seat. "You dare, scumbag? You dare tempt me?"

"S-s-scoundrel!"

"Damn it, where's my five thousand? Give it now!"

"You'll never lay your stinking hooves on it!"

By this point Cluster had lost all patience. But instead of an angry outburst, as you might expect, he was overcome with tremendous apathy to see any of this end, pushed into it by a hatred for both Bronze and Nova. He got up from his chair, shaking his head to himself.

"I need a drink," he said in a weary yet pronounced voice.

"Wait!" Airglow called out for him, all the while her brother and father went back and forth on each other in the background. "Where are you going?"

"To the kitchen," he said. And he turned the corner and left the room.

What did I get myself into? Cluster wondered when he stopped by the magic-powered fridge. He opened it, took out a bottle, and poured himself a glass, something less strong than what they were having before.

I gotta focus. Celestia will be arriving in only a few hours, near Town Hall. I better go greet her. Who knows how much pointless praise she'll have to endure from everypony. As long as that's done

But the flow of his thoughts were abruptly interrupted by a loud crash, followed by a squeak from Airglow. Cluster couldn't even get a single sip of his drink; he set the glass down and rushed back into the drawing room. Bronze had sunken to the floor. He was a bit hurt, but not much, only pushed aside with force. He kept crying out, "He hit me! He hit me!" while Airglow tried frantically to help him up.

"Where is it!" cried Nova from the other room down the hall. Judging by the noise, several things were being broken, trashed, tossed around. "Where's my five thousand!"

Damn, I turn my back for a second... Why now? thought Cluster.

Upon hearing Nova, a wicked change came to Bronze's face. He forced himself up and shouted, "He's after the chest! The chest with the five thousand. Somepony stop that thief! Catch him, catch him!"

Several of the servants ran into the room, including Shovel Rod.

"What are you chasing him for?" Cluster shouted angrily at his father, holding him back with a hoof. "He'll really kill you! Is that what you want?"

"Let go!" Bronze broke free. He was spluttering, and seemed to be driven beyond his wits. He rushed towards the hall, but only covered a third of the distance when Nova suddenly reappeared; with a swift hoof he delivered a solid blow to Bronze's face.

Airglow cried in terror, nearly brought to tears. Bronze sunk back down to the floor; he let out a shrill moan. Nova was about to hit him again, but Cluster wrapped his whole body in magic.

"You nearly killed him!" shouted Cluster.

"Serves him right!" cried Nova, gasping and struggling against the magic. "And if he still lives, I'll come back and kill him for real!"

"Get out!" said Cluster and, opening a window, hurled Nova out of the house into the grass.

There came a thud, and a few seconds later they heard Nova once more, crying at the top of his lungs, "Pah! I spit on it! I'll return, father, if not for the five thousand then to kill you. So watch out, because I do not repent. Watch out for your dream, because I, too, have a dream! I curse you to tartarus!" And he trotted away.

The servants, meanwhile, lifted the old stallion and put him in a chair. His face was severely bruised and bloody. His right eye, which had tanked the blow, was swollen and unnaturally purple. Airglow ran to get water.

When all was said and done, and Bronze was taken to his bedroom, only then did tensions lower. Airglow returned to the drawing room, unbearable anguish highlighting her face.

"Good grief," sighed Cluster, slumping down on a chair.

PreviousChapters Next