• Published 2nd Dec 2018
  • 1,881 Views, 229 Comments

Love's Lost Decade - Priceless911



Zeil, a changeling in love sets out on an incredible 10 year journey. Crossing blistering deserts, Frozen Mountain, treacherous forests, and unbelievable dangers. But is his journey merely an accident or was he fated to find what lies within him.

  • ...
3
 229
 1,881

PreviousChapters Next
Bk10/Ch3 The Fall of Duet

Book 10 / Chapter 3
The Fall of Duet
(Year 5, Month 9, Day 22)

Light came from the corridor as Somnambula, Zeil, and Chief Basarum emerged from the darkness and entered the throne room which was well lit with its open sided walls allowing plenty of light to shine through the pillars from the balconies that overlooked the ruins. As Zeil stepped into the throne room he looked at the room’s appearance and spoke, “This is the place, it looks almost exactly like it did in my vision.”
Somnambula asked, “So… what was it that you actually saw? And why did you want me to bring you here?”
Chief Basarum sighed, “He won't say… I tried asking him myself and he refused to answer.”
Zeil nodded, “Something tells me that I should keep it to myself for now. I will say I saw this room, Pharaoh Calypso and Mage Phalla but… I want to know more before I tell you exactly what happened.”
Somnambula gave him a confused look as Chief Basarum explained, “The mage is the keeper of many dark secrets involving magic. If this is one more, then it’s probably best it stay a secret.”
Somnambula started thinking to herself as Zeil could feel her unease as he spoke, “Don’t worry, they didn’t mention the tomb yet but when they do I will let you know.”

Somnambula nodded as she replied, “Okay, then… I will take my leave and allow you to do what you must.”
As she turned away Zeil couldn’t help but to stop her, “You… you still don’t trust me… do you?”
Somnambula paused as she replied, “I want to… I truly do… a few years back after I returned to this world, I was faced with a challenge of fighting against one who was a good friend in the past. At first I believed we could never be friends again because I assumed the darkness completely consumed him… but then thanks to a new friend, we were able to bring back the light in his heart and save him from the darkness that consumed him… but with you… you were born with this darkness, and I don’t know if it’s possible to bring light out of one who was born consumed. I can trust you enough for now… but… I don’t think I can give you my full trust… at least not yet.”
Zeil nodded, “I can understand that… considering who I was a number of years ago, if you knew the old me, I don’t think you could ever trust me. Now, I'm better but if becoming the mage means knowing I may never gain everypony’s trust. Then all I can do is consider this another lesson in becoming the mage.”
Somnambula gave a slight smile as she replied, “Very optimistic, I may change my mind yet.”

With that said, Somnambula left the throne room as Chief Basarum spoke before turning to leave, “Miss Somnambula wanted to find information on how to revive Duet to what it once was, I would say that what you find may help her do that. That is… unless there is good reason the city should stay as is?”
Zeil shook his head, “I don’t know enough about what happened here to say for sure, but I'll do what I can. Something tells me that what Mage Phalla did here was more justified then I know. Do you know how to revers petrification?”
Chief Basarum shook his head, “When it comes to magic I know only the basics but she showed me a spell that should do the trick should we find the residents intact.”
Zeil as confused, “The basics? I thought you were Zecora’s Magic teacher?”
Chief Basarum smiled, “I was her self-defense teacher, mainly anti-magic and a few enchantments for defense purposes. Her advanced teacher passed a few years ago. But that is a lesson for another time, do what you can and find us when you finish. Somnambula and I will be looking through the ruins for more clues since there are no sandstorms today.”
Zeil nodded as he sat and readied his meditation, “Sound good let’s hope that this time I see the whole story.”
Nodding in agreement, Chief Basarum left the throne room as Zeil began his meditation.

With barely any time at all, Zeil opened his eyes to see Mage Phalla trotting through the streets of Duet. As she continued a guard stopped her as he spoke, “Not another step further.”
Mage Phalla started to speak, “I have come to speak with Pha-“
“The Pharaoh knows why you are here and she has instructed us to prevent entry into the city. You and your power are unwelcome here and I will advise you to leave at once.”
As the mage stood, she could see other guards in the city escorting the residents from their homes as all stallion, mares, and foals were shown to the palace’s entrance. As she saw this, Mage Phalla asked, “What is happening here… where are all the residents being taken?”
The guard replied, “The pharaoh ordered all her subjects to the grounds around the palace. And that if you had returned, that you would stay as far away as possible. Now move along, I will respect your title enough to not force you out of the city, but I won't let you go any further then here.”

The mage gave him a suspicious look before replying, “Fine… if you choose to deny me entry, then at least deliver this message. It has been one week since my last visit and I hope she heeded my warning. Because if she didn’t, and this spell proceeds as I expect it will… then I will have to act as Mage of Zebrica to resolve her fault. And I cannot show mercy for to any, despite their guilt or title.”
The Guard nodded as he replied, “I will word it better, but I will pass your message to her… now move along.”
The mage nodded as she turned to leave the area, however rather than leaving the city as suggested, she decided to take another road towards the palace in hopes of understanding what was happening. Using the commotion and the herds of citizens, Mage Phalla snuck through the palace entrance then and made her way through the palace corridor. After a few minutes of following, Zeil found himself entering a stairway that he didn’t recognize as the unfamiliar passage led to the palace’s library. As soon as Mage Phalla entered, she rushed to hide behind one of the scroll shelves as she watched the pharaoh and a few of her priest as they gathered around a table of opened scrolls with one of the priest speaking, “Your highness, I’ve found it… this should be the information you have searched for.”

Pharaoh Calypso approached the table as she looked to the scroll and smiled, “Excellent, this is exactly what I need. Quickly, inform the guards and make sure all subjects are gathered around the palace. I this spell should amplify my father’s, however I fear it will stretch no further than the city’s end, so it’s imperative that all subjects be as close to the palace as possible when it begins. If need be, open the corridors to them so that we can gather some within the palace as well. I know we cannot have all of them inside but the more the better.”
The priest nodded in confirmation as he turned and left the library too quickly to notice the mage who stood out of sight from the pharaoh. With one of her priest following his instructions, the pharaoh looked through the scroll on the table as she placed a second scroll next to it before speaking, “Now… we can begin. If it all goes as intended, then all my subjects will share their knowledge and become one mind, then we can begin travel to the outer cities to do the same and unify the kingdom as a whole.”
“So… despite my warning… you continue to proceed with this plan?”

Confused, Pharaoh Calypso looked to Mage Phalla as she approached, “Though I may be only the third of the mages, it is a fool’s tactic to ignore my warning all the same.”
The remaining priest glared at the mage as he spoke, “Such insolence… How dare you speak to the Pharaoh in such disrespe-“
“Silence, Pharaoh speaks!"
Stepping back in respect, the Priest silenced himself as Pharaoh Calypso gave Mage Phalla an annoyed look as she replied, “I am the pharaoh of the Sand Sea Kingdom, I am chosen by the titans to rule and I will not yield to the words of a Zebra… even if she claims to be the Mage of Zebrica.”
Mage Phalla gave her an angry look, “Your family was chosen centuries ago, but I was chosen directly by the Titan Lucifer to maintain balance. Your rule, nor lineage holds any appeal to me.”

Pharaoh Calypso replied with an antagonizing tone, “Then by all means… if you see yourself as superior then go ahead and stop me. Prevent me from using this spell and halt my plans to better my kingdom if you can… or do you even hold the power to try? So far, I'm beginning to doubt your claim as the Mage of Zebrica… perhaps you are an imposter, provoking the crown in hopes of influencing your own opinions upon me and my subjects.”
Mage Phalla didn’t even acknowledge the skepticism as she replied, “As Mage of Zebrica, I am consigned to see to the worlds balance and to maintain it should light or darkness grow over the other… however… I cannot intervene until that happens. I can voice my opinion, and request to prevent it from happening… but… I cannot use my magic until it is asked of me. So… I implore you… for the sake of your kingdom and your subjects… cease this spell before it’s too late. Before I am forced to intervene.”
Pharaoh Calypso gave the mage an unamused look before replying, “This is difficult… to see one of supposed power yield so lightly to one who has little. Yet you still speak with authority as if you truly are who you claim… But it is all for not. I will continue this spell, and when you see that my actions are just, then I will be expecting an apology from you… Mage Phalla of Zebrica. As well as a punishment befitting one who manipulates the crown.”

Knowing she lost, the mage sighed as she replied, “Then… I can only wait till you tip the scales on your own… I only hope you can forgive me for my response. Because you will soon find, that the weight, to balance the scales, may be too great for either of us to bare.”
As that was said one of the Pharaoh’s Priest returned to the room as he started to speak, “My pharaoh, the subjects are all gathered as re- oh… forgive my interruption.”
Pharaoh Calypso shook her head, “No need… just see to the Mage… I want her out of my palace and out of my city. She is no longer welcome in my presence.”
The priest nodded as he replied, “At once my pharaoh. Guards!”
As that was said, a few guards entered the library as they stepped towards the mage and started leading her out of the palace.”

As the three exited the library, the two guards led Mage Phalla through the corridor, into the temple’s main lobby, and passed all the city’s residents. However before they reached the outer portion of the city, a strange booming sound echoed from the royal’s keep. As soon as that happened, the mage took a potion out from under her cloak and quickly drank it as a transparent shockwave of lime green magic pushed out of the palace and over everything outside before crossing over the mage and guards and stopping a couple hundred feet from the city’s edge. After the shockwave stopped it vanished as the two guards standing next to the mage started cringing in pain before putting their hooves over their heads as one spoke in agony, “What?... what is this? Why am I seeing so many images… why… am I feeling so much pain… it… it hurts… why does it hurt?!”
With her recent action preventing herself from being effected by the spell, Mage Phalla looked to the palace as she spoke in disappointment, “No… that fool. She still ignored my plea.”
With their heads throbbing in pain the two guards held their heads as the other one noticed Mage Phalla wasn’t affected as he spoke, “You… the mage… you put a hex on us didn’t you? It was your dark magic that cursed us isn’t it?”

Mage Phalla didn’t give a response instead she only looked to the guards with an emotionless look as the same guard replied, “This pain… make it stop… if you won't… THEN I'll FORCE YOU!!!”
In desperation the guard charged at Mage Phalla with his spear at the ready as she only sighed in disappointment, “So you are first…”
With an almost carless action, the mage slid her hoof against the ground then upwards towards the charging guard as dust from the ground around them swept up from under her as it accumulated into a cloud which swept over the charging guard as it concealed the guard entirely making it impossible to see him. After the dust settled, Zeil was shocked to see that what was once a royal guard was now a stone statue. Out of panic the other guard spoke, “She’s cursed us all! She won't stop till we are all condemned!!!”
out of fear, the guard turned and tried to flee however as he did, the mage looked at him and swept her hoof a second time this time vertically as the dust on the ground quickly flew up in the air and pursued the fleeing guard before concealing him entirely and leaving behind a second stone statue after it dissipated.

As soon as she saw that the two guards were now stone, the mage turned her attention towards the palace as she saw the citizens outside the main temple gripping their heads and raving in agony as she sighed, “And now for the rest… may the Titans forgive me.”
Knowing what to do, Mage Phalla started trotting towards the back of the screaming herd, as Zeil looked down at the stone roads left behind. The path from where the dust was accumulated from seemed worn away as if most of the dust used to turned the guards to stone was pulled from the very bricks that made up the roads they were trotting on. Zeil could only mumble to himself, “The power of the mage’s element… so this is what she can do…”
As the Mage started to approach, some of the residents saw her and assumed the same thing that the first guard thought, that she was responsible. In a desperate attempt to stop the pain, a large number of the residents charged, as Mage Phalla braced her stance before sweeping her hoof across the ground then in a horizontal swing as a cloud of dust barreled across the area as it swept over the charging herd solidifying almost fifteen with a single swing. Seeing this some chose to flee in fear while the rest continued their charge with the Zebrican mage only taking a second swing to turn another dozen or so into stone. In groups of five to twenty, Mage Phalla kicked dust into the air as the residents tried to either flee or attack her. Some managed to get within arm’s length of the mage, however the skillful enchantress easily subdued the attackers as she preceded to throw dust in a strange fashion which turned all enclosed by the cloud into stone.

Zeil stood in shock at what he was seeing, that is until the mage managed to kick a cloud in his direction which caused him to flinch in a way where he closed his eyes and shielded his face. When he lowered his hoof, the setting around him had completely changed. Zeil found himself standing in the city’s library as he looked around to see something unexpected. In the center of the room, both priests lied dead as their wounds looked as if they took their own lives in an attempt to stop the pain, while Pharaoh Calypso sat against a bookshelf with tears of pain rolling down her face as she mumbled, “Why… why does this hurt so… the voices… the pain… its nothing like it should be… its… its torture…”
At that moment Mage Phalla entered the room as she spoke, “What were you expecting pharaoh? When you merge the mind of two with a limit… knowledge can be transferred easily… but when you merge more, without limit… it become too much to handle.”
The Pharaoh looked to the mage as she replied, “But… I did limit it… I only wanted to share knowledge… but this... there is too much to know what exactly was shared. My head… it feels like its splitting apart.”

Mage Phalla sighed as she trotted to a scroll on the table and glanced at the writing as she replied, “What knowledge did you expect? There is many kinds of knowledge in this world, as well as many types of personalities… What you merged, was everything about every pony… the wise and unwise, the creative and uncreative, the healthy and the sick… and… the sane… and insane. You merged too many qualities that make up a single pony and scattered it through thousands. Now… all those minds combined, are unable to sustain themselves. Your priests knew this… and that’s why they ended the pain themselves. As for the rest… I had to deal with them personally.”
The Pharaoh tried to bear her pain as she looked to the mage and spoke, “What? What do you mean? What did you do?”
Mage Phalla rolled the scroll up as she gave the pharaoh an angry look before replying, “I silenced them… every… last… one.”

Weak from her pain the pharaoh stood as she started backing away from the enchantress, “N-no you didn’t you co-“
As she backed up, a sharp pain caused her to stumble as she knocked over a torch stand as the lit torch fell to the ground and rolled against one of the scroll shelves as it lite shelf on fire. With the flames rising up the shelf, Mage Phalla approached the weak pharaoh as she replied, “I warned you that this would happen… I warned you of the dangers of this spell… and yet you did nothing to prevent it. Now…you tipped the scale, and it is my burden to balance it back.”
Without looking away from her target, Mage Phalla casually tossed the scroll she picked up from the table onto the burning scroll shelf as scroll immediately caught fire as the pharaoh spoke, “No… my father’s spell, it’s going to-“
“Be lost to time… from this moment forth… I deem that spell too dangerous to be remembered. So from this day forward, I will not allow its knowledge to be passed to anypony. Thanks to that spell, a city- nay a kingdom is now lost to the world… all because of you. So… what do you expect me to do next? Tell me what I should do to you for all of this.”

Pharaoh Calypso looked to the burning scroll, then to her dead priest in the center of the room as she took a second to breath before speaking in pain, “You’re going to kill me right… then be done with it… kill me.”
Though she expected it, the enchantress replied with a careless tone, “So you accept it then? You are actually requesting death?”
The pharaoh gave her a desperate look as she replied, “Y-you don’t understand! This pain is too much! I-I beg of you, show me mercy! End this… end it all!”
Mage Phalla with her expressionless tone replied as a cloud of dust accumulated around her and began spiraling above her head, “Very well… good bye Pharaoh Calypso, know I get no pleasure in this.”
That said, the mage raised her hoof and pointed at Pharaoh Calypso as the spiral of dust above her head flew across the room to encircle the ancient ruler leaving the dust to consume her and turn her to stone.

As soon as the final resident of the city was solidified, the images faded as the mage looked to Zeil as she spoke, “And there you have it… the rise and fall of Pharaoh Calypso, and the end of the entire kingdom of the sand sea.”
Zeil sat down in amazement as he replied, “So that’s how it happened, so you destroyed this kingdom for a good reason after all… and that also explains why there is no record of why you destroyed it. You made sure the secret of the spell ended there permanently.”
The ancient mage nodded as she replied, “Yes… and so… I ensured it was never passed on… but first let me ask you… what is the lesson that these visions are meant to teach to future mages? What’s message did I want you to learn from all this?”
Zeil thought to himself as he replied, “That… some secrets must remain secrets, and that in order to maintain balance, we may have to do things that we don’t want to do. Like destroy an entire kingdom.”
She nodded, “Yes that is what you needed to learn now… go home, and begin your next lesson.”

After that was said, Mage Phalla turned to leave as Zeil stopped her, “Wait… First I need to know… Did you know this was going to happen? That you would be forced to turn everypony to stone?”
She turned back and nodded, “Yes… that’s why I warned her to stop.”
Zeil replied, “But… if you knew this would happen, why didn’t you stop her yourself? Why let her continue this spell knowing what would happen?”
Mage Phalla sighed as she replied, “What is a fault without consequence? If every mage steps in and simply stops the imbalance before it happens, then none learn of the reason, and none prevent it from happening again. We as the mage must fix the imbalance as soon as it happens, we cannot intervene till then. Otherwise, the rest of the world will never learn to maintain balance themselves.”

Zeil thought to himself as he replied, “It just… doesn’t seem right.”
She shook her head, “It never does, and that’s why I’m here.”
As she turned to trot away Zeil stopped her again, “Wait… after this happened the residents were buried together right?... do you know where?”
Mage Phalla didn’t turn around, instead she turned her head slightly and replied, “Why do you wish to know?”
Zeil replied, “It’s for the mare I met, Somnambula. She hopes that there is a way to turn everypony back to normal… she has hope that she can save this city.”
The mage sighed as she mumbled under her breath, “Hope… if only…
The mage looked forward and replied with a serious tone, “Go to the final resting place for the last Pharaoh. Pharaoh Uktah, in the back of his tomb look upon the place where the slab of his life’s story used to sit… firmly press against the stone it fell from and push it to the side, behind it is a treasure tomb, which contains his greatest treasure. And the one who is responsible. But… don’t be hopeful of what you find… as I said before… the weight to balance the scale was too much for either of us to bare.”
Zeil was confused, “Wha-“
Before he could finish his question, the vision ended as Zeil found himself sitting alone in the palaces throne room. Though his question wasn’t answered, he still knew he had to hurry as he stood and rushed out of the throne room to tell Somnambula where to search next.

Later, Zeil Somnambula and Chief Basarum entered a large burial chamber as Somnambula pointed to the back wall behind the casket, “There, that’s where the slab fell from. The rough part of that wall right there.”
As Zeil approached the large sandstone wall, Zeil started looking for seems in the stone as she asked, “So… what did you see? Why did the mage direct you to here of all places?”
As soon as Zeil found the seams of what appeared to be one of the many large stone blocks that made up the wall Zeil replied, “Because she said that what you’re looking for is buried here. There should be a small chamber meant for the pharaoh’s treasure hidden in this tomb.”
Somnambula gave Zeil a confused look as she replied, “The pharaohs treasure was placed around his casket in this room, so it was already collected.”
As Zeil examined the wall closely as he replied, “An old ship captain I know said a wise phrase, he said that not all treasure is in silver and gold.
She gave him a confused look, “Captain Sail?”
Zeil replied, “Does every pony in the world know Captain Sail?”
Chief Basarum smiled, “They should, he is famous after all.”

Zeil pressed against the large stone that once held the pharaoh’s legacy he replied just as the large block jumped back a few inches, “Okay well, back on track. Can you two give me a hoof?”
Curious the zebra and pony in the room approached the wall as they placed their hooves against the block as it took all three of them to push the block out of the way due to the age of the rollers the stone block sat on. As soon as the block was moved, the three picked up torches from the wall as Chief Basarum used a small fire spell to light all three revealing a long deep stairway leading further underground. As the three trotted deeper they had to move aside cobwebs as Somnambula looked around in awe, this stairway hasn’t seen the light of day in almost eight centuries… this is incredible.”
Zeil nodded as he replied, “Mage Phalla mentioned this tomb when I told her about what you was hoping to find. Who knows maybe this is the…”
Zeil paused as he stopped in his tracks, with worry Zeil looked deeper down the stairway as Chief Basarum spoke, “I know Zeil… I feel it too…”
Somnambula was concerned, “What? What is it?”
Zeil replied, “An ominous aura…”
Somnambula asked, “A creature ahead?”
Zeil shook his head, “No… nothing alive… the feeling is of death.”
Somnambula looked forward, “Is There a curse on the next room?”
Chief Basarum shook his head, “No… but stay vigilant… I have a bad feeling about what we will find.”

Proceeding with caution, the trio continued down the stairs until the long stairway finally opened up into a poorly constructed chamber that was too large to see the back walls through the darkness. As soon as they entered, Somnambula spoke, “This place… it isn’t part of the pharaoh’s tomb, it’s different… this was built long after the tomb was finished. Most chambers will be well crafted in design, this one however… is crudely dug. The floor is weathered and uncut, and the pillars seems to be just plain stone all the way up without a single hieroglyph or symbol of worship.”
Though Chief Basarum and Somnambula couldn’t understand it, Zeil knew what it was as he replied, “This room wasn’t dug by the residents, it was dug by the mage’s power.”
Both Basarum and Somnambula gave him a confused look as the Chief replied, “Really? How do you know?”
Zeil replied, “I saw her ability, she was able to use the surrounding earth to turn others into stone even so far as to pull stone deposits from cut brick. If she can do that, then I think it’s possible for her to dig a massive cavern like this with very little effort.”
“Zeil, Chief, look over here!”
Both Zeil and Chief Basarum looked to Somnambula as she raised her torch as the light revealed a stone statue of an ancient guard who was holding his head in pain. As she angled her torch to the side, another statue was reviled this time it was a mare fleeing for her life.

Soon the three looked around as their eyes started seeing through the darkness revealing that the large cavern they stood in was filled with many more statues of the former citizens of Duet. As they looked around Somnambula smiled, “This is it… these are the residence that were turned to stone. We found them.”
Chief Basarum trotted through a small path he found between the statues as he replied, “This tomb is massive, there has to be thousands of them here… are you sure you can change them all back to normal?”
Somnambula thought to herself as she replied, “It should be possible though it will take time, a spell of this size may have to be done one at a time or at least very carefully.”
As Zeil trotted through another row of statues he replied, “One at a time… that could take days or even weeks. But if it works, who am I to ar-“
At that moment, Zeil saw one of the statues had a large chunk broken off of the face as the statue itself seemed almost completely hollow. With Somnambula and Chief Rafi continuing through the cavern, Zeil stepped closer to the statue as he angled the torch to shine light inside, but as soon as he saw what was there, he took a step back in shock as he spoke, “Chrysalis’s grace… this means…”
“Zeil! Come here quickly!”

As that was called, Zeil rushed to where both Somnambula and Chief Basarum were standing as he became shocked at what they found. In the center of the large chamber sat the statue of Pharaoh Calypso who sat with an accepting expression on her face. But sitting next to her in a meditative position wasn’t a statue, but a corpse of another mare as Zeil spoke in shock, “Mage… Mage Phalla… it’s her… it’s the third Mage of Zebrica.”
Somnambula was confused, “But… Why? How?”
Zeil looked into the peaceful expression on the ancient mages face as he replied, “I think… she wanted this… she did this to herself… out of guilt.”
Chief Basarum started thinking to himself while Somnambula replied, “Guilt? What could she possibly feel guilty for? She turned the city to stone but any enchanter should know that petrification spells are all reversible.”
Zeil shook his head, “They are… but this wasn’t petrification…”
“What?”
“Petrification is when you turn someone completely to stone inside and out. But she didn’t turn them to stone… she only encased them.”
Somnambula gave him a shocked look, “What do you mean?”
Zeil sighed, “I found a statue that was damaged… inside… was a corpse long dead and gone. She didn’t turn them to stone to save them later… she just killed them where they stood.”

Somnambula was at a loss of words as she looked to Mage Phalla, then the statue of Calypso next her, then back at Zeil as she tried to peace together a sentence, “But… she… that means…”
Zeil nodded, “It means that none survived. And… they can't be brought back. I'm sorry.”
Somnambula sat down in disappointment, “I… I thought it were possible to bring them back, but…”
As Somnambula sat in disappointment, Zeil tried to think of something to say as Chief Basarum replied, “Zeil… perhaps… you should meditate.”
Zeil was confused, “What?”
The chief nodded, “Mage Phalla told you the story of what happened here and even told you where this tomb was located. Perhaps if you ask, she may give you guidance about this.”
Zeil looked back to Mage Phalla’s corps as he nodded, “Okay… I'll try.”

Unsure, Zeil approached Mage Phalla’s body as he sat down in front of her in the same meditative position, before closing his eyes and beginning his own meditation. As soon as this was done, Zeil opened his eyes to see the fully fleshed and living Mage Phalla in front of him as she smiled, “So… you found what you sought… and… you were able to see what I did as penance.”
Zeil was concerned, “You buried yourself alive with the residents of the kingdom… did you really do it out of guilt?”
She nodded, “Yes… I wanted more than any for Pharaoh Calypso to heed my warning and cease this spell long before it would take shape. But… she did not, and because of this… I had no choice but to kill the entire city.”
Zeil asked, “Why not just petrify them? Why kill them all?”
She sighed, “The spell was irreversible, even if I turned them to stone so they could be changed back later. Their minds were decimated, and there was no fixing that. That’s why I removed that spell from history, and why I informed every mage since to keep it gone. Some magic is better lost to time.”

Zeil sat with a disappointed tone, “So… now what? What can I tell Somnambula to make this better for her?”
Mage Phalla sighed in disappointment, “Whatever you wish to easer her mind, but you cannot fix this… no more than I could. That is the burden of being the mage. To be known for our actions, to be praised, or cursed is no matter to us, but we must do what is needed of us even if the guilt becomes too strong to bare. That’s is why I am forever here. To teach that lesson to the next mage so that they too understand this burden.”
Zeil gave her a concerned look, “So… that’s why you trapped yourself here to die?”
She nodded, “We all have a higher purpose, and I chose to accept mine. To remain here in permanent meditation is my new purpose. And when your time comes you must accept your purpose as well. But I wonder, Will you be able to vanquish your own darkness when you face it?”
Zeil nodded as he replied, “I will, I already know my purpose enough to do what I must.”
She replied with a serious tone, “Do you?… well I'll take your word on that. Return to your training Zeil, and remember, the secret of this story can only be known by those who choose to keep it. Though I cannot choose who you tell should you decide it. I only hope you understand what must be done to maintain balance. Thank you for seeing my story… and good luck.”

All of a sudden Zeil opened his eyes to find himself sitting back in the tomb as he looked to the Mage before him and nodded, “Rest easy Mage Phalla, I will keep the balance you chose to maintain.”
Seeing his meditation had ended, Chief Basarum approached Zeil as he spoke, “So… did you see her? What did she say?”
Hopeful, Somnambula looked over at Zeil from where she was sitting as Zeil sighed before replying, “I saw her… and… she explained what I must do.”
Somnambula stood as she turned to him and spoke with hope, “And?”
Zeil looked at the surrounding statues, then to Mage Phalla’s corpse before sighing and replying, “A wise zebra chief once told me… When one dies they are dead… that’s it… you have one life, so hold it dear for once it end… it’s over. At first, I thought he was only trying to lure me away from forbidden spells, but when I saw what he meant… I watched its result lay waste to an entire village of griffin. Males, females, cubs… none survived. This city is no different, what Mage Phalla did, wasn’t an act to spite this kingdom, it was actually the greatest act of mercy she could provide.”

Somnambula shook her head in disbelief, “What are you saying? What could have happened here that would bring her to do something so horrible?”
Zeil shook his head, “As a mage… I cannot say. The ponies here discovered a great secret… one that they hoped would bring their kingdom to prosperity… but instead brought them to ruin. Mage Phalla… saw what ruin they would bring… and tried to stop it before it was too late, but Pharaoh Calypso refused to listen. All mage Phalla could do, was to stop what the pharaoh had started before it could spread beyond this city alone. She ended this kingdom because she knew it had to be done… and… nothing else could have changed that.”
Somnambula shook her head, “I… I don’t understand…”
Zeil nodded in disappointment, “I know… because you shouldn’t. To protect what was erased from history here… I cannot say what happened exactly. All I can say is… the mage did her job. She ensured balance in light and darkness… and… gave her life for her that soul goal.”

Zeil looked to the mage’s corpse, “She buried herself here alive to atone for what she saw as a sin. She erased a darkness from this world and practically saved it… but… none will know of her actions… nor will they ever understand why. This… this is the burden of the mage… Selflessness, without reward or even acknowledgment. She was and will forever be remembered as the mage to bring down an entire kingdom of innocent ponies… and even her self-sacrifice for her guilt will not be enough to clear her name of this sin.”
Somnambula still didn’t understand it entirely, but as he said those words, she could see a sadness in his expression that led her to a different question, “Zeil… if the situation back then happened a second time and you were in her horseshoes… would you have done the same? Or… would you have attempted something different? Something that… could save these ponies?”
Zeil sighed, “Given the warning she gave and the pharaoh’s ignorance to listen… I think this was the only course of action that could be made.”

Though she still didn’t know if she could trust Zeil entirely, the sadness she saw and his seriousness in his answer convinced her as she nodded and sighed, “Well… if it was truly the best course of action… then I'll leave it at that.” She looked to the pharaoh’s statue as she spoke, “I was adviser to the prince of this kingdom at one time, he made a foolish decision to stand up to the sphinx and got himself captured for it. Since Pharaoh Calypso is his descendent, it wouldn’t surprise me that she would do something even more foolish… especially if she was given warning from the mage as you say… so… all I can do is accept this. The kingdom was believed dead over eight centuries ago… so… nothing has changed. Only now, we have a tomb of which to pay our respects. And we shall do so… to both the city and the mage.”
Zeil gave Somnambula a surprised look as she looked to the mage’s corpse and bowed her head, “Mage Phalla, I mush apologies for misjudging you. When I heard of the mages actions on these grounds I even debated on whether the mage was a threat to the world or if he could be trusted… but…” She smiled as she looked back to Zeil, “If every mage holds the same honor and respect as you Zeil… then I believe the title is one deserving of respect.”
She turned completely towards him as she bowed her head again, “Thank you Sir Zeil… I may never understand what the mage truly is… but I now know that their purpose is far wiser than I ever could be.”

Zeil smiled as he shook his head, “I doubt that… you seem to be very wise on your own… perhaps I'm the one who needs to become more wise in this purpose.”
Chief Basarum approached as he sighed, “Yea, yea, we are all just dumb creatures. But I believe we are missing the point here.”
Somnambula laughed at his words as she nodded, “Your right, we must decide what to do with this discovery.” She looked at Mage Phalla again as she nodded, “We shall take the time to analyze this room for a few days. I don’t know if we should find any hieroglyphics anywhere in here, but if we don’t, then we shall seal this tomb and mark it as a grave. I think, in respect of the fallen, it’s the least we can do.”
Chief Basarum nodded as he replied, “Very good, then I think it’s time we take our leave. Zeil, is there anything further you need from this place before we go?”
Zeil looked to the Petrified Pharaoh, then to the mage who sat beside her as he shook his head, “No… I’ve learned all I could from theses grounds. So… I think it’s time we continued my training back at the village.”

Chief Basarum nodded as he turned to the exit and spoke, “Good, then let us be off. Somnambula it was good seeing you again, and I'm happy we could be of assistance in your search.”
Somnambula smiled as she replied, “Thank you, not just for your hospitality but for your assistance in this mystery. Even if I don’t know the whole story, it’s still comforting that there is a reason why this city met its end. And I hope whatever lesson Mage Phalla taught you Sir Zeil, will help you in your lessons.”
Zeil smiled as he nodded, “Thanks, I'm sure it will.”
As Zeil followed Chief Basarum towards the tombs exit, Somnambula looked back to the stature of Pharaoh Calypso as she mumbled, “The Mage of Zebrica must be a costly burden indeed… I wonder if Princess Twilight knows of such a roll in this world. Wouldn’t hurt to ask next I see her.”
Outside the tomb, Chief Basarum and Zeil continued to leave the ruins as Basarum spoke, “I want to ask, You said you wanted to ensure the secret of these ruins were kept, but… I saw no reason to distrust Somnambula.”
Zeil sighed, “There didn’t have to be, this lesson and story is for the mage and the mage alone. Even if Mage Phalla is viewed as a monster for the rest of time. The Burden if the mage in keeping balance is what matters more then anything.”

PreviousChapters Next