• Published 2nd Dec 2018
  • 1,881 Views, 229 Comments

Love's Lost Decade - Priceless911



Zeil, a changeling in love sets out on an incredible 10 year journey. Crossing blistering deserts, Frozen Mountain, treacherous forests, and unbelievable dangers. But is his journey merely an accident or was he fated to find what lies within him.

  • ...
3
 229
 1,881

PreviousChapters Next
Bk13/Ch2 The Imprisoned Mage

Bk13/Ch2
The Imprisoned Mage
(Year 09, Month 10, Day 02)

The tall storm beast paced in front of the prisoners whilst the ruins of a city burned around them from the recent battle. As he walked the line he stopped in front of a taller unicorn stallion as he smiled, “Well well, if it isn’t the former king of this little smudge of a city. So, you’re the one who gathered these ponies against me and tried to take back your home. I'll admit, I was surprised when my troops had to request reinforcements to fight off a bunch of peace loving ponies. But if you want to face me in battle, its gonna take more than dancing and singing cutesy little songs.”
At that moment, a slightly younger Grubber approached as he spoke, “Um Your majesty? We finished securing the city. What would you like us to do next?”
The Storm king looked to the former king’s wife and foal as he replied, “I'm tired of seeing this town’s name on my map… let’s say we just remove it for good.”
Grubber nodded, “Yes your majesty… but… what about the survivors?”
The king smiled, “What survivors?… they all perished in the battle. Besides, no one will miss these little ponies anyway.”

As that was said the former king’s colt spoke up, “You can't do that!”
The storm king looked to the little cerulean colt as he smiled, “Really? Well watch me closely and you will see I very much can. Face it little pony, unless you have the power to take control. Then you will always remain on the bottom of someone’s foot…”
Laughing at his victory the storm king turned around to walk away as the young colt got angry, “You can't hurt my family… I WON'T LET YOU!!!”
Angry the colt reached for an unsuspecting guard’s sword, drew it, and charged towards the storm king in anger. However as he got close enough to swing, the storm king turned back to him and caught his hoof in midair as he spoke, “Whoa now, you got a lot of courage for such a little prince…”
Picking the colt up by his hoof the storm king smiled, “Ya know for a pampered little pony prince, I wasn’t expecting this much fight in you… you’re determined to save your home aren’t you?” with the colt hanging by his hoof, the storm king took one powerful swing as he punched the colt in his gut with enough force to stun the young foal before dropping him to the ground. Worried, the colt’s father spoke, “Savean! Storm king stop this now! He’s just a colt!”

The King stood over the young colt as he smiled, “Yea… but he is much stronger then your everyday pony. And if his parents had the gall to form a rebellion against me? Then he is of strong stalk… a perfect heir.” He kneeled over the young colt as he spoke, “How about it little pony, you want to rule my kingdom after I'm gone?”
The weak colt gave him an angry glare as he replied, “Over my dead body.”
The storm king smiled, “Well, I like that sound… that is the fire I need in the future king… so…”
With a crooked smile, the storm king kicked the young colt as the power of the attack threw the colt a number of feet before the young foal hit the ground and rolled to a dazed stop. As his consciousness faded, he could hear the storm kings voice as he spoke, “Burn the village and execute the prisoners… but as for this one… lock him in the tower… Treat him nicely though… that’s you future king in the making.”

With those words echoing, King Typhen snapped out of his flashback as he heard a voice, “Excellency?”
Shaking away the bad memory, King Typhen looked to Tempest who was standing behind him as she asked, “You still with us?”
Turning back to where he was looking before, the king looked over his kingdom from the balcony of his study as he replied, “I'm fine… just recalling a nightmare… what is it?”
Tempest replied, “The changeling.”
“Changeling?”
She nodded, “The changeling you asked me to bring to see you?... he’s here.”
The king nodded, “Right, right, that changeling. Bring him here to my study.”
She insisted, “He is waiting for you in the throne room.”
The king replied, “Then he will be easily shown here to my study… if he is what I think he is, then it would be better to see him here anyways.”
She was curious, “What do you mean? What do you think he is?”
The king smiled as he turned back to the doorway and entered the room, “An opportunity. Or… a headache.”

Fifteen minutes later, King Typhen was sitting at his desk in his study as Tempest entered the room, followed closely by the chained Zeil in his changeling form with two guards holding two chains that were connected to his neck cuff. Surprised at what he saw, King Typhen stood from his desk as he spoke “What the?”
Tempest spoke, “King Typhen, the Changeling Zeil as ordered.”
The king spoke with confusion, “Changeling?... him?”
Zeil nodded, “Yea, a changeling… why?”
The king realized his own shock as his expression changed back to an emotionless one as he replied, “Oh… apologies, I don’t think I’ve seen a changeling of your… type before. May I ask? What kind of changeling are you?”
Although Zeil was irritated with his situation, he still replied with only slight disrespect, “A reformed one.”
“Yes… but… I’ve never seen a reformed changeling that was as tall as you with horns like yours.”

Tempest spoke, “Excellency, I’ve seen one like him before. I believe he is referred to as an alpha drone, the dominant of the males I think.”
Zeil nodded, “She is right… I am an alpha drone… and you strike me as surprising also. A kingdom of storm beasts ruled by a unicorn king. Not to mention I heard your father was a storm beast as well.”
The king felt irritation at the comment but he held his own as he replied, “I was adopted by the former king… in all honesty, he was no father to me. But I digress.” He stood up straight, “I am King Typhen of the Storm Kingdom, and I-“
“A lie?”
The king was surprised by Zeil’s unexpected comment as Zeil realized his forced words as he continued, “I apologize, as a changeling we excel in sensing the emotions of those around us. But when you introduced yourself… your emotions despite your held expressions was of… anger and guilt. As if what you said was either false, or… distained.”

Tempest started to get angry as she spoke in a calm response, “Know your place and watch your words carefully changeling, remember who you are talking too.”
King Typhen held up his hoof to silence her, “Now now Tempest… no need to get hostile at a true statement… but before we continue. Do you think you could contain Mr. Zeil on you own?”
Tempest knew where this was going as she replied, “I can… but I wouldn’t do what your th-”
ignoring her, the king interrupted, “Then I think we can manage without extras…” he looked to the guards, “You two are dismissed, wait for us outside and do not enter unless I call for you.”
The two storm beast guards looked to each other in confusion as they shrugged their shoulders and released the chains connected to Zeil’s neck cuff before both leaving the room and closing the door behind them. As soon as they were gone, the king sat back at his desk as he replied to the earlier statement, “You are very perceptive Mr Zeil… and you are right. King Typhen was the name given to me by my adopted father. I never truly liked it, but since it is what the kingdom knows me by, it is easier to keep it then to change it altogether.”

Zeil nodded, “I see, for one who changes his name often, I can understand the confusion.”
The king smiled, “Then we see eye to eye… good. The reason I asked to meet you was because you happen to peak my commander’s intuition. She claims that you are a dangerous prisoner to have.”
Zeil nodded, “Then her intuition is wise. Although this could easily be solved with my release. After all I am wrongfully imprison.”
The king nodded, “Are you?… yet here you stand, after being apprehended in my kingdom, my capital city, a changeling by birth. Since it is clearly the definition of the former king’s law I see no unjust imprisoning here.”
Zeil replied, “Your father’s la-
“Former King… he was no father to me.”
Zeil sighed at the correction, “Former king… his law is out of date and you know it.”

King Typhen nodded as he smiled, “I can see how you assume that… but that law was established after the Canterlot wedding raid a number of years ago to protect the kingdom from infiltrating changeling. Although the existence of the reformed is apparent and the reveal of multiple reformed kingdoms are known. This kingdom still suffers from the backlash of the idiocy that was the former storm king.”
Zeil was confused for a second, “Idiocy?”
King Typhen smiled as he stood from his desk and paced towards the map on the wall as he replied, “Yes, you see, a few years ago, he set out on a massive conquest to spread his kingdom all over the world. First it started with small kingdoms with no proper defenses… then it went to larger kingdoms with mass amounts of resources. Finally, when he discovered the Staff of Sacanas, a titan relic with the power to steal magic from alicorn, he set his sights on the only alicorn left in existence.”
With only two in mind, Zeil replied, “Equestria…”

King Typhen smiled as he replied, “Exactly, he hunted down all the remaining alicorn to steal their magic but… sadly he never heard the story of the king who ruled the world…” he looked at Zeil from the corner of his eye, “Have you, Mr. Zeil?”
Unfamiliar with the story, Zeil shook his head as the king nodded, “Of course you haven’t… because it doesn’t exist. No one soul could ever truly rule the world, it’s a complete impossibility. There are too many races, too many cultures, religions, too many ways of life that conflict with on another making it impossible to rule all with the same ethics, even the almighty titans knew this fact. So when he set his sight on Equestria… those who chose a different way of life did exactly what you’d expect them to do. They rebelled, and stopped him.”
The king trotted away from the map as Zeil nodded, “Interesting… your emotions seem to hold pride in the subject… as if… you had something to do with it. Something to do with the former king’s downfall.”
The king chuckled as he approached his desk and opened one of the drawers and replied, “No, I didn’t, but one can dream can't he?” he pulled out a folder as he sat down and continued, “Anyways… onto why I asked you here. I know you have answered these questions before, but… humor me with answering them yet again. I’d rather hear the answers from your mouth then any of my soldiers.”

Sighing in annoyance Zeil replied, “If you must, it’s not like I have much of a choice.”
The king smiled, “Honesty… that’s a good quality to hold. Anyways first question, why are you here in my kingdom?”
Zeil replied, “I was here to board a ship to Equestria. I'm only passing through and mean no harm to you or anyone here.”
The king nodded, “I see, Next question, who is your Queen?”
Zeil shook his head, “I don’t have a Queen.”
“Really? And yet as a changeling you were born of a queen correct? Which queen is your… mother sort of speak?”
Zeil replied, “We don’t really have a concept of mother or father in our race, but if you mean who gave birth to me. That would be Queen Chrysalis.”
As that was said, Zeil immediately felt a surprised emotion from both tempest and King Typhen as the king replied, “Really? So… your birth hive would be the Changeling Kingdom just outside of Equestria.”
Zeil nodded, “No, I was born elsewhere. The Changeling Kingdom was founded after my birth. But since I serve no queen that would mean that I have no hive.”
Tempest spoke up, “That would explain why you serve no queen at least. No changeling serves Queen Chrysalis anymore. And I doubt they ever will.”

Zeil turned to look at her as he nodded, “The way you speak not only in tells she got what she deserved, it also seems as if whatever happened to her was within your witness.”
She nodded, “Yea I saw it myself, Queen Chrysalis is now a statue in the Canterlot garden.”
Zeil felt a little uneasy about this but he felt it would be better to keep the reason for this feeling to himself as he nodded, “I see.”
King Typhen spoke next, “Anyway onto the next question, where are you coming from? Since you came through the Southern Gate, I can only assume you came from Zebrica.”
Feeling he should keep his mage status to himself for now, Zeil replied, “I did.”
The king continued, “All right, which tribe then?”
Zeil shook his head, “No tribe… I just came from that direction.”
Tempest got irritated, “I would suggest you answer honestly, otherwise I may have to make you answer him.”
Feeling her anger in her stare, Zeil replied with a glare of his own, “Try me… I could use the exercise.”

Feeling an unruly amount of tension in the room, King Typhen spoke up, “Now now Tempest, if that is all he will tell us, then we should let it be. After all if we force an answer with something as medial as torcher, well he would say anything truth or not to get the pain to stop in which case would be untrustworthy and a waste of his and our time.” He pulled a sheet of paper from the folder and close it as he spoke, “Anyways I’ve heard enough… it’s obvious that what Mr. Zeil says is his truth and that he may very well be no threat to the kingdom in anyway… However… he is still guilty of committing a crime and will serve his sentence thusly… unless.”
The king placed the sheet of paper on top of the folder and turned it around so Zeil could see it, “He were to sign this.”
Zeil looked at the paper as he asked, “And what is this?”
The king replied, “Enlistment documents… let me explain. You my changeling friend, are a very interesting character. Your mere presence put my strongest soldier at high alert and that is enough for me to know that you will be a valuable asset to my army. By signing these document, I can guarantee your freedom, in exchange for your services as one my generals. Under Commander Tempest of course.”

Zeil was surprised at both the offer, and at the fact that it was said so casually as if it was planned from the very start. And to make it even more confusing, Tempest seemed to have no real reaction to the offer as Zeil spoke, “So… you’re charging me with treason, unless I join your army? Isn’t that kind of treasonous on your part?”
The king chuckled as he nodded, “Well, kind of. But you see, sometimes the most valuable friends are the most skilled traitors.”
He stood from his desk and trotted to a shelf full of strange artifacts from all over the world, “Myself included… I as the adopted son to a monster, I wanted nothing more than to slit his throat in his sleep. But with his conquest keeping him away for so long, I never truly got the chance. Every few months I would receive little knickknacks from every country he claimed under the Storm Kingdom’s banner. Hoping they would, make me like him more or some crap like that.” he grabbed something from the shelf with his back turned as he continued, “Till… I got this little trinket. A gift from his journey to Equestria, hoof delivered by Tempest herself.”

He trotted back to the desk and placed what looked to be an open hand made out of stone on the desk as he continued with a dark tone, “A gift, a message, and Proof, that the Storm King was dead.”
Although Zeil could tell this was an attempt to intimidate him, it had little effect as Zeil replied, “The Storm king’s hand… Petrified then shattered, seems to be a dark sort of gift, but fitting if you truly despised him.”
The king nodded, “Oh I truly did, but it wasn’t me who killed him, it wasn’t even the ponies of Equestria. His true assassin, is standing right next to you.”
Zeil looked to Tempest who held an unamused expression as the king continued, “You see, Tempest was his top lieutenant. Her power alone allowed him to conquer many kingdoms and she did so, with the promise that he would restore her horn and give her back her ability to perform spells. But, that was a lie. In truth, he couldn’t do that, and he kept her on a leash until he revealed that truth to her. For which, she defeated him, turning him to stone and pushing him from the highest tower in Canterlot.”
Tempest spoke, “It was actually the throne room balcony.”

The king smiled as he nodded to her statement, “No need to argue the details. Fact of the matter is, in that sense, she too is a traitor. So my asking you to join wouldn’t be much different from when I begged her to return as my commander. The only real difference is that if she had denied the position nothing would have come of it. She would say no and go her separate way, while you… would go back to prison and await execution as is the punishment for treason. So… what do you say Mr. Zeil? Will you join my army?”
Zeil knew right away that he had to deny the request for multiple reason. The biggest would be that no nation can own the mage as a soldier in any army. The second was that he needed to return to Equestria to stay, but the most notable reason was that with Captain Sail and a few of his crew locked in the Bastille, he needed to help them escape first and foremost. So with an annoyed sigh he replied, “As Tempting as your offer is… I can only deny it. For my own reasons, I cannot and will not belong to any nation, be that a hive or a kingdom.”

Unhappy with the answer, the king replied, “I see… then I'm afraid I have no choice.”
King Typhen called, “Guards!”
At that moment, the door opened as the two guards that were waiting in the corridor reentered the room as the king closed the folder on his desk and spoke, “Take Mr. Zeil back to the Bastille. Since I have no more use of him, move his sentence up to the Friday after next.” His eyes shifted to Tempest, “I'll see that you will be put in special charge of this execution. I want this done right, understood?”
Understanding the caution, Tempest nodded, “Of course your excellency.”
As Zeil was escorted out of the room he couldn’t help but smile sinisterly at the emotion he was feeling from the king as the king spoke with a concern less tone, “Tempest, allow the guards to return with Mr Zeil on their own, in the meantime could you hand me that contract?”
Feeling a little confused that the king wanted her to give him a document that was only slightly out of his reach tempest approached the paper and picked it up just as the guards left the room completely and closed the door behind them. After the guards were gone, Tempest placed the unsigned contract on the desk in front of the king as she started to speak, “Her you go yo-”

At that moment, the king reached out and grabbed her hoof as he spoke, “Please… stay with me for a little bit… I… I don’t want to be alone.”
Although his expression seemed emotionless, his tone and his trembling hoof said it all… he was terrified. Worried she spoke, “Excellency? You alright?”
“That changeling… if you can even call him that. He… he isn’t what he seems. Every fiber of my being has been scared senseless since the moment I showed him the storm king’s hand.”
She replied, “Well, it was a subtle threat.”
The king nodded as he replied, “Yes… and the look he gave me afterwards… I have only felt the fear from a gaze like that once in my life. The day the storm king took me from my home.”
After a few second of calming down the king sighed as he spoke, “I don’t know what he is planning if anything at all… but I won't let it happen. He entered through the southern gate correct? In zebra form means he probably came from a Zebrican tribe. Send envoys to all tribes in Zebrica. I want to know everything about him. Where he comes from, where he is going, and why. I want every soldier who isn’t doing any pressing matters to look into this. I want them to seek out any and all information they can find about this Zeil from every neighboring kingdom. If he so much as chipped his hoof last month, I want to know where, when, and on what. Got it!”

Confused with how thorough he was being tempest replied, “Maybe you should take it easy your majesty. We can increase security at the Bastille th-“
The king stood and paced in though, “No… no, if we do that then he will know we are on to him. We need this to be as far out of his view as possible. If he gets a hint that we are looking into his true intentions, then he may strike. And… the feeling I got from him. Our prison and army aren’t enough to hold him back. But… do we have an informant in the prison?”
Tempest nodded, “We do, we can have him look into Zeil’s activity if y-”
Done… give him anything he wants in exchange. Offer him his freedom if need be. I want Zeil monitored and watched closely.”
She nodded as she replied, “Understood. Do you still want his execution moved up?”
King Typhen nodded, “Yes… I would have him killed tomorrow if it seemed nessisary, but I can’t risk him reacting out of haste. The fact that he hasn’t acted yet means he may be trying to be less destructive in his plan. We need to find out if a simple execution is even possible first.”
She nodded, “Yes your excellency, as you said I will see to it personally. Is that all, or do you need me to stay with you a little longer?”
The king sat down and breathed deeply as he replied, “No… no… I'm fine now… just… be careful. And if need be… used these.

The king opened his desk drawer and pulled out a small belt with strange glass spheres with a mysterious green aura inside as he spoke, “You remember these right? It’s what turned the royal alicorn to stone and killed the former storm king.”
She nodded, “Yes I remember. So you want me to turn him to stone if he gets out of line?”
The king nodded, “Yes, then, I don’t care how close it is to his execution. I want you to shatter his body as soon as it’s fully stone. I won't give him the chance to be the threat that we know he is.”
Tempest thought about the situation for a few second. At first she assumed his actions to be a little too much, but after giving it a little thought she could only nod as she replied, “Of course excellency. I'll see it done.”
As she turned to leave the room, he stopped her one last time, “Oh… and fizzy?...”
She paused as the king continued, “Is something happens, and you should find yourself facing him alone… Run… I don’t care if it seems cowardly, I can't lose my only friend.”
Although she wanted to correct him in his previous statement, she knew that his words were fear driven so she decided to just ignore it, “Understood Excellency. I'll be careful.”

A few hours later, Zeil and Captain Sail were sitting in their cell as Captain Sail drew Zeil’s attention to the tiny barred half circle window, “Look out there lad, tell me what ya see.”
Zeil looked out the small barred window as he replied, “The sea and… what’s that above us?”
As Zeil looked at what seemed to be a massive stone awning over the window that stretched over one hundred feet from the tower as captain Sail replied, “The Bastille is a series of five towers, all arranged in a pentagon shape. Each tower is a prison in itself. The two towers on both sides off the gate are processing facilities and barracks for the guards. The towers beside those are the minimal security, and the medium security prisons. We are in the furthest tower from the gate which also happens to be the closest to the sea. The max prison, made special for life sentences and capital punishment. All who are here with us are servin’ a life sentence. Some, with a guaranteed shorter sentence if ya get my drift. And as far as the layout goes, the first floor is storage that we have no access to. The second floor is the mess hall where we eat. Third floor is where we are now, the cells. The fourth floor above us is the… execution floor. Above us, is a number of cells where they move those awaiting execution the day prior and outside, that stone balcony is the gallows. Where they are done away with. And finally above that is the garden and roof.”
Zeil was confused, “Garden?”

Zeil stepped away from the window as Captain Sail smiled, “Aye, In the Bastille everything is maintained by the prisoners. We grow our food, cook our food, clean our clothing and if anything here needs repairing within the walls, we repair it.”
Zeil looked around replied, “Makes since, if the criminals want to eat, they have to work.”
Captain Sail nodded, “Aye, otherwise they get beaten.”
Zeil nodded, “I’ve heard, some guard will beat the prisoners to death.”
Captain Sail nodded, “Occasionally yes. But since we all like to eat, we all choose to work. Sort of a mutual agreement amongst us prisoners.”
Zeil nodded, “Alright, so will this play into the plan any?”
Captain Sail smiled, “Aye it will, in fact we already have the majority of the plan done, we only need a few more preparations first.”
Zeil nodded, “Alright, so what is the plan?”

Captain Sail looked to their lookout across the cells who nodded that the coast was clear as he replied, “Since we have been here, Mr Keg and I have been gathering an assorted amount of items from our tasks in the prison.”
Zeil was skeptic, “What sort of items?”
Captain Sail shrugged his shoulders as he replied, “Oh just a few things, some charcoal from the kitchen, and some saltpeter and sulfur from the garden.”
Zeil smiled, “Gunpowder…”
Captain sail nodded, “You know your alchemy, when it comes to gunpowder, Mr Keg is the master. Since I recruited him to my ship we haven’t needed to buy a single grain. He mixes it all himself. And in very interesting sorts mind you. He even mad it resemble defined elements on occasion for example…” he tapped the mortar between the bricks in the cell as he continued, “Simple, concrete, mortar. So when we had to replace a few bricks in my cell due to a failed escape attempt by the last occupant… well?...”
Zeil understood, “So… the walls are laced with gunpowder.”
Captain Sail nodded, “And a few hollowed out stones filled make nice little bombs to go with it. So that in combination with some rope would allow for an escape worthy of us… but…”
Zeil nodded, “We will need to find a way to contact the Bloody Tide. Without a ship, we will only be jumping into a rough sea.”
Captain Sail shook his head, “No lad, we would be jumping onto the jagged rocks below. The rope we need will be primary to get far enough from the coast to reach a ship. But as you said with no ship, we have no escape. First we need to make a sort of rope bridge to the end of the balcony, then we should be able to avoid the rocks… if there is a ship to catch us, that would be even better.”

Zeil thought to himself, “I can handle the bridge… what we need is a way to contact your ship… any ideas? Maybe we co-“
At that moment, a tap was heard as the lookout tapped the bars with his hoof in an attempt to notify them that there were guards coming. As the two silenced themselves a few guards entered the corridor as one by one they began unlocking the cells and waiting for the prisoners to leave as Captain Sail spoke, “Lunch time already? Now to see if those carrots I grew came out right.”
With no reaction to his sarcasm, the guards watched as Zeil and Captain Sail left the Cell and followed the herd of prisoners through the corridor, down the stairway, and into the dinning floor below. As they arrived in the heavily guarded mess hall, Zeil and Captain Sail got in the serving line as Zeil noticed that all the servers were actual prisoners as he approached one who smiled, “Well well, good to see you again Sir Zeil. You probably don’t remember me do you?”
Zeil nodded, “You’re the helms colt on the Bloody tide right? Mr… Turner wasn’t it?”
He smiled, “Aye, good to see a friendly face in a place like this.” He looked to his captain and handed him a folded napkin, “Oh and captain… be sure to use this wisely… Messes can be unbecoming of our captain aye?”
Smiling, Captain Sail opened the napkin slightly to see some black powder inside the fold as he closed it and passed it to Zeil, “I’ll be fine, but perhaps Sir Zeil could use it to… um… cushion his neck cuff a bit. I'm sure that stone imbedded in it is rubbin’ ya raw.”
Smiling at the idea, Zeil took the napkin and made sure it was folded properly before slipping it under the cuff around his neck right between the ever stone and his skin so that it was somewhat hidden from any who would look at him. After securing the napkin, Turner smiled as he gave them both treys of food, “Enjoy your meals gents.”

Nodding, the two took their treys and went to a table to sit and eat. As soon as they sat down, Zeil panned his eyes across the room as he observed everything. The number of guards in the room, the exits, and even how far each exit was from all of the tables. Seeing this captain sail spoke, “I know what you thinkin’ lad and don’t bother. There are usually more than eight guards in this room, only one way in or out of this floor and to go from floor to floor takes a key to get through the gates. From our cell you would need two keys to leave this tower alone. Then you would have to cross each tower which is two more keys each before arriving at the main gate and garrison where the number of guards is ten times what we see in this room alone. That on top of an alarm activating which locks down each tower and immediately notifies the king’s personal fleet of airships. So… unless you intend on breaking through ten iron gates, and over a hundred guard’s, all before the king’s army can arrive to stop us… then escape through that way isn’t in the cards.”
Zeil nodded, “I assumed it would be the hardest way but ya can't blame me for considering our options. After all what you have planned won't be much ea-“

Before Zeil could finish his sentence, another prisoner approached as the large minotaur smiled before speaking, “Well well well, look what we have here. Looks like we have ourselves a new bug to add to our little garden. And look at that, he clings to Captain Sail in hopes of feeling safe doesn’t he? Well jokes on you little critter, the captain earned his place with his reputation alone… but you aren’t as lucky.”
Already knowing where this was going, Zeil sighed as he replied, “Oh great… seems my day will begin with an idiot and a lesson to teach.”
Captain Sail smiled at the insult as the Minotaur replied with a cocky tone, “Oh, looks like the bug thinks himself venomous… I think I'm going to enjoy squishing this one before he hangs.”
Zeil sighed in hopelessness, “I get it… pick on the new guy and see how long it takes before he breaks down right?” he rubbed his head in irritation before continuing, “Trust me when I say this, but if I were you. I would turn around and leave now.”
The minotaur smiled, “Really? Alright changeling, I'll bite, why should I?”
Zeil turned his head slightly to glare at the minotaur with the corner of his eye as he replied with a calm but ominous tone, “Because without my vow… I'm afraid I won't be able to restrain myself.”

Just as that was said, the atmosphere of the entire room seemed to change as every creature in the room felt the foreboding feeling of death in the air. With this ominous feeling in the air all who were present looked towards Zeil in worry. Even the prison guard’s gripped their weapons in anxiety as they took looked towards Zeil in hope that the situation wouldn’t involve them. But none felt more afraid then the provoking minotaur who himself stepped back with a worried expression as, Captain Sail who also felt uneasy, cleared his throat and spoke, “Ya see Axel… Sir Zeil here once took a vow to never take a life until he was reunited with his lost love. I would assume, he broke said vow hence his reasonin’ for being here of all places. And if I were you, I’d do what he suggests, there are some demands, that even I wouldn’t dare challenge.”
Understanding the warning clearly, the large minotaur raised his hands in front of him as he slowly backed away and replied, “I'm just foolin’ is all, I meant no harm um… Sir Zeil was it? No disrespect was intended, I just wanted to welcome you proper like. Seems I need to work on my social skills… I'm gonna go now. Enjoy our meal.”

Fearful for angering him more, the large minotaur backed away as the feeling of impending danger slowly faded in the room. As the denseness of the aura faded, the other prisoners slowly went back to their meals while trying to pretend the darkness was never felt as the guards lessened their grips on their weapons as they all breathed a sigh of relief. As the aura of the room returned to what it was before, Captain Sail couldn’t help but smile as he spoke, “I'll say this for sure lad, I am glad you consider me a friend. I’d hate to get on your bad side.”
Zeil smiled as he nodded, “Well, I took the lesson from you. Showing them I'm a threat to get them to back off is something you do to prevent mutineers right?”
Captain Sail laughed out loud as he nodded, “I suppose it’s similar.” He looked down at his food as he spoke with a serious tone, “So… which titan currently possessed you? Or more accurately, who did you possess?”
Somewhat nervous, Zeil gave Captain Sail a surprised look as the wise ship captain smiled, “Don’t be so shocked lad, I’ve sailed all the seas a hundred times over and learned of mysteries from every corner of this world. But through it all, the only time I have ever felt fearful of my own life, was when I stood in the presence of an enraged Titan. And today will mark the second time I’ve felt that very same fear. So I'll ask again, which titan currently shares your body?”

Knowing there was no hiding it, Zeil replied as quietly as he could, “Lucifer.”
Captain Sail nodded as he replied, “Ah I see, so that would make you, the Mage of Zebrica wouldn’t it?”
Not surprised that Captain Sail knew about the mage too, Zeil nodded, “Yes, but… let’s keep that one to us. I wouldn’t want the king to find out, especially since he is already afraid of me. So… have you met the last mage? Or did you hear about him elsewhere?”
Captain sail shook his head, “No, but I’ve come across a few pirates who have. In fact according to the old stories one of the mages was a pirate back when.”
Zeil nodded, “Yes I remember… Mage Kulana the eighteenth mage, I recall a second name, the Black Magic Baroness?”
Captain Sail nodded, “Aye, her pirate name. Not that I met her before. That was about two hundred years ago if my history is accur… wait… what do you mean by, you remember?”
Zeil hesitated for a second before replying, “It’s a mage thing. Let’s just say… I know every mage more personally than anyone else possibly could. But that aside what’s next w-”
“As I live and breathe.”

Confused by the interruption, both Captain Sail and Zeil looked to an approaching griffin as the prisoner approached, sat at the same table, and looked to Captain Sail, “Your Captain Sail… right? I'm a big fan of yours.”
Captain Sail replied with a skeptic tone, “That right?”
“Yea, as a fellow thief of the land, knowing about all the best are a bit of a hobby of mine. You sailed ever sea robbing from any banner. I heard they considered you a gentlecolt pirate since you showed mercy to any ship willing to surrender without a fight. I even heard you threatened a titan while floating just outside his island.”
Captain Sail smiled, “Not just outside his island lad… I did it while standing on his shore right to his face… but I know well who I am, you are?”
The griffin smiled, “Sorry, my name is Artist. But my friends call me Khan.”
Zeil replied, “Khan Artist?”
The griffin smiled, “By name and by trade… and you… you’re the changeling that was recently locked up in here aren’t you? You must be pretty tough to send Axel running with his tail between his legs. And given the tenseness of the situation. I can only imagine how quickly you would take him down if he didn’t back off. So… what’s your story?”

Captain sail interrupted, “Actually since it’s you who approached us… its better if you talk first. If you’re really a con artist, then you must have cheated someone pretty important to get sent to the tower of condemned prisoners.”
Khan shrugged his shoulders as he replied, “Well… that’s kinda a long story… to shorten it… I was in the minimal security tower for a few years, but I couldn’t help but cheat a few prisoners in a poker game. Afterwards a fight broke out, fists were thrown yata, yata, a few guards stepped in, one fell onto a sharp objects and I was sent here as punishment. Pending a life sentence for actions that led to murder of a prison guard.”
Captain Sail seemed skeptic, “Hmm that so?...”
Khan nodded, “Well I'm guessing that the good captain here is here for piracy… but what about you Mr?...”
Zeil replied, “Zeil and if you must know, I’m here because I was born a changeling.”
Khan chuckled, “Well that’s a hard case to fight, but I guess all nations have their stupid laws. But… didn’t I hear Axel call you… Sir Zeil?”
Zeil gave him a threatening tone, “You heard wrong.”
Ignoring the threat, Khan spoke, “I guess I did then. Oh well, it doesn’t matter much. So…” he looked at Captain Sail, “What was the leviathan sea like? I’ve heard stories of how you and your crew came face to face with the dreaded titan of the sea… were you scared? Was he truly as terrifying as they say? How did you esca-”

Realizing the griffin was getting over excited, Captain Sail interrupted, “Whoa now lad… one question at a time. I can't answer you if the question changes over and over again.”
Khan felt embarrassed, “Oh… sorry… got a little over excited for a second. Like I said, I'm a fan of the Crimson Ghost Hunter and how he chased a legend to its own grave. I just wanna hear the story.”
Captain Sail sighed as he replied, “Alright… I see no harm in telling the tale.”
From there, Captain Sail told the story to the young griffin about his fight with Iron hoof and his adventure to the Leviathan Sea. Though occasionally the griffin would ask about Zeil, the two managed to dodge each question as they spent the rest of the lunch talking about Captain Sail’s adventures.

Later however, as the lunch ended and captain sail and Zeil were sent back to their cell, Zeil took the napkin with the black powder from under his neck cuff as he handed it to Captain Sail, “Here you go… let’s hope Powder keg can put that coal to use.”
Captain sail nodded, “He will, so… did ya believe any of that crap that Khan character was spewin’?”
Zeil shook his head, “Some of it was true, judging by his emotions, but I'll leave it to a con artist to believe his own lies. Either way… he can't be trusted, I'm willing to bet he is some kind of informant for the guards here.”
Captain sail nodded, “Aye… but the best thing about an informant… is that if you know who they are, they become easy to use.”
Zeil nodded as he asked, “Does this change anything about you-know-what?”
Captain Sail smiled, “On the contrary, it makes it even more exciting… now I just need to know who this khan guy is working for, and how I can use him.”
Zeil nodded, “Will we include him to use him?”
Captain sail smiled, “We will… but not yet, let’s make it too close to the date to leave him sweating… besides, if he truly knows me as well as he says… then he knows what I'll do to him, if he decided to betray us.”
Zeil smiled, “I'm sure it will be hard to… what do you call it? Fodder someone here without a cannon.”
Captain Sail smiled sinisterly as he looked to the a few chain and shackles that were connected to the walls as he replied, “Foddering only needs gunpowder and the foreboding feeling that all will ends soon. There is more ways to do it… albeit less… painless ways.”

PreviousChapters Next