• Published 2nd Dec 2018
  • 1,879 Views, 229 Comments

Love's Lost Decade - Priceless911



Zeil, a changeling in love sets out on an incredible 10 year journey. Crossing blistering deserts, Frozen Mountain, treacherous forests, and unbelievable dangers. But is his journey merely an accident or was he fated to find what lies within him.

  • ...
3
 229
 1,879

PreviousChapters Next
Bk4/Ch2 The McHolt Clan Secret

Book 4/Chapter 2
The McHolt Clan Secret
Year 01, Month 07, Day 05

Zeil and Cunningham made their way through the center of the small village as Cunningham spoke, “Ya see laddie, the term druid ‘round here can mean many things, priest, noble, and in cases such as my own, sorcerer. Or as you say, enchanter. Either way, when it comes down to it, I’m here for the clan, as they’re here for me.”
Zeil was curious, “Clan?”
Cunningham smiled as he spoke with a proud tone, “Aye… Welcome to the McHolt Clan. The largest armigerous clan in all the Highlands.”
“Armigerous?”
Cunning ham nodded, “Aye… it means we have no clan chief. So as the clan druid, they look to me for guidance.”

Zeil nodded, “Oh… so, why don’t they just make you the chief then?”
Cunningham shook his head, “It ain’t that simple laddie, some offered it to me, but I turned it down. I just… I ain’t as good as their last chief.”
Zeil asked, “Was he that good?”
Cunningham nodded, “She… was the best this clan could ask for.”
Hearing the pain in his tone, Zeil asked, “What happened to her?”
Cunningham sighed as he spoke with a saddened tone, “She died… ‘bout a year ago.”
Zeil wanted to ask how, but the aura of pain in Cunningham’s emotions was strong, so Zeil decided to drop the subject. Also wanting the subject to end, Cunningham continued, “Anyways, an enchanter such as yourself must know a proper way to use his magic. Quality is everything laddie. Just like actions, good deeds meets good quality. Bad deeds…or…loss of control… can lead to regretful actions… Keepin’ that in mind, there are a select few amongst the clan that you should avoid… such as…” He pointed, “Him.”

Although he wanted to ask about Cunningham’s change in mood when he mentioned bad deeds, Zeil disregarded it as he looked in the direction Cunningham pointed to see only the local pub with nopony around. Confused, Zeil asked, “Who?... you mean the tavern?”
Cunningham smiled in a joking manner, “Aye, he will be there when ya want ‘em, but never when you need ‘em.”
Cunningham laughed out loud as Zeil could only smile sarcastically, “Yea… funny.”
Cunningham elbowed Zeil jokingly as he replied, “Come now laddie, sometimes an enchanter needs to calm himself with a since of humor, and at other times… a task.”
“A task?”
Cunningham pulled a note from a pocket on his robes as he handed it to Zeil and spoke, “Here… this is a list of ingredients I want you to go buy for me. Remember my talk of quality lad? I want you to take that to ‘count when ya pick the ingredients out.”

Zeil looked at the list he was given as he replied, “Wait… you want me to buy ingredients for you?”
Cunningham nodded, “Ya catch on quick laddie, can’t get anythin’ passed you. As for me, I'll join ya in a sec, I got to tend to some clan business first.”
With that said, Cunningham started trotting away from Zeil towards the pub as Zeil mumbled, “This has to be some form of extortion, but whatever.”
As Zeil turned towards the rest of the village, Cunningham paused as he spoke, “Oh! And one last thing laddie… the clan doesn’t take kindly to changelings, so if I were you, don’t make your… true self known.”
Zeil was confused, “What? How did you know I was a-”
Cunningham smiled, “Ya can’t pull a quick one on me wee laddie, I’ve come across a number of your kind in my lifetime… though… let’s just say it ain’t an enjoyable tale. Just watch yourself lad, if the clan find out what ya are… it will turn deadly.”

With nothing more to say on the subject, Cunningham continued trotting towards the pub as Zeil could only feel worried. The tone of Cunningham’s warning said it all, but the emotions he was feeling while saying it, made Zeil feel as if it were closer to a threat then a warning. Since the warning was apparent, Zeil decided it was best to do as he was told and keep his identity secret. Changeling have always had a bad reputation so it wasn’t surprising that he wouldn’t be welcomed here, and this familiar sense of danger could only make him feel as if he were back in Equestria hiding right after the Canterlot wedding. As Cunningham entered the pub, he trotted into an empty bar as McNess the bartender looked his way and smiled, “Well if it isn’t me brother in-law. What can I do ya for Cunningham?”
Cunningham sat at the bar as he replied, “An ale… and… a spell.”

McNess trotted to one of the kegs behind the bar as the shire poured a mug as he replied, “Sure thing’ what are ya wantin’ to talk about?”
Cunningham replied, “I told ya already that ya don’t have to call me brother anymore… not like it’s a blood relation or anythin’.”
McNess shook his head as he brought Cunningham his drink and replied, “Nah it ain’t that easy brother, after fightin’ side by side in that battle. It’s deeper than blood. Sides… Aria would scold me if I didn’t. She was always good with the back of her hoof, poppin’ me upside the head anytime I said or did somthin’ wrong.”
Cunningham smiled, “Aye… she was a lively one she was… and you were her favorite little brother.”
McNess chuckled, “Nice try, I’m her only little brother.”
Cunningham nodded, “Aye can’t pull a fast one on you can I?”

The two smiled over old memories for a few seconds until McNess changed the mood as he replied, “Todays the day isn’t it… One year ago we declared war on those wee bugs.”
Cunningham took a drink from his mug as he replied, “Aye… and in three days Aria died… and we destroyed them all for it. leavin’… no survivors.”
McNess smiled, “I say good ridden. They’re to blame for pickin’ a fight they can’t win.”
Cunningham nodded, “Aye… but still…”
Cunningham’s expression became sad as he sat in silence for a few second before McNess replied, “Still feeling regret for that day?... or are ya thinkin’ ‘bout her last prediction?”
Cunningham sighed, “Both…”
Seeing Cunningham’s expression, McNess spoke up, “Speakin’ of Prediction... what became of that lad I sent your way yesterday? Is he the one?”

Cunningham replied before taking a drink, “The good… or the bad?...”
McNess chuckled, “What are ya talkin’ about? Course I mean the good one. A wee little lad like that can’t be the bad one. He seemed too much like a decent lad to be that bad.”
Cunningham looked into his mug as he repeated the prediction word for word, “The annual week of me last breath will bring knowledge of two. One of heroism, and one of malevolence. One to protect, and one to avoid. One to save us all… and one to bring extinction.”
McNess nodded, “Aye, I know her words. I was in the room too.”
Cunningham replied, “Aye, but this lad... I doubt he’s the hero… and as for the villain… I’m not sure yet.”
McNess was curious, “What makes ya say that?...”
Cunningham replied, “Well first off, the lad is only an amateur enchanter. I can teach him to be better but for now, he can barely save ‘emself let alone everypony else. And second… his kind aren’t known for their heroism.”

McNess gave Cunningham a curious look as he asked, “His kind? I never knew zebra to be any trouble.”
Cunningham gave him a serious look as he replied, “Not Zebra lad… Changeling.”
At that moment, McNess’s friendly disposition faded into rage as he replied with an angry tone, “What did ya say…”
Cunningham repeated himself, “That lad, that ya sent my way yesterday, he ain’t no zebra… He’s a changeling.”
McNess became enraged as he replied as calmly as he could, “Are… Are ya sure Lad… No mistake?...”

Cunningham nodded, “As soon as I laid eyes on ‘em I could sense his aura. It’s a wee bit different from the other changelings but its still the same species. I’ve killed far too many of ‘em to make that mistake… we both have.”
McNess nodded, “Aye… I almost forgot about that changeling curse ya put on yourself. So… did ya kill him then?”
Cunningham shook his head, “No… he’s still alive and roamin’ abou-“
“WHAT!?!”
Cunningham tried to calm him, “No need to yell lad.”
McNess replied, “What is wrong with you? How can you let him live? After everything they’ve done to us? Everything they did to the clan! And Aria?... Have you forgotten wha-“
“ENOUGH!!!”

Although McNess was full of anger, it was nothing to Cunningham’s as the druid stood and replied, “You think you can tell me what they did!!! You weren’t there when it happened… you weren’t there tryin’ to stop the bleedin’ and sealing the wound without healing any internal damage. Watching her for three days slowly diein’ in front of me as we tried everythin’ we could to save her. She may have been your sister lad… BUT SHE WAS MY WIFE!!!”
Still angry, but sympathetic, McNess calmed himself as Cunningham sat back down and took a drink from his mug before continuing, “I’ll admit… I considered killing ‘em… but Offspring brought up a good point before I could. If I kill him now, I risk removing a half decent enchanter from this world. That and… I don’t want to kill him if he isn’t the bad one in her prediction.”

McNess gave him a curious look, “Offspring?... that bird didn’t want ya to kill him?”
Cunningham replied, “Nope, that stubborn feather duster tried to convince me to spare him… so, I decided to let ‘em have this one. Besides, I’ve spilled enough changeling blood for one lifetime.”
McNess sighed, “You still regretin’ that order? I don’t see why, you’re a hero for it. And the clan… if they found out about this changeling then they’d-”
Cunningham smiled as he stood up and interrupted, “Then don’t tell ‘em. The clan doesn’t need to know what don’t concern ‘em. As long as that changeling in under my roof, he ain’t a threat. And if I find that he is… then I'll deal with him meself. Just remember, yesterday marked the first day of the week… so keep your eyes open for the one’s from the prophesy. If ya see the good, do what ya can to keep ‘em in town, and send ‘em my way when ya can, but leave the changeling to me.”
Cunningham started trotting out of the pub as McNess spoke up, “And if I see the bad?”
Cunningham replied without turning around, “Prey that don’t happen, if so… run.”

Further in the village, Zeil was trotting towards the nearest shop to buy the ingredients on the list. As he trotted he was soon stopped as a familiar voice called too him, “Would ya look at what we have here? Wee little laddie from last night at the pub.”
As Zeil looked to the voice, he wasn’t surprised when he saw the same shire that tried to con him out of a drink the night before. Without replying Zeil just held his silence as the stallion continued, “And look… he seems to be traipsin’ about with no form of prtotectin’ ‘emself. Seems funny since I remember makin’ that same offer before.”
Turning away Zeil replied, “I think I'll be fine.”
After turning away, the large stallion chuckled, “Oh laddie… ya don’t understand do ya? Ya see… I’m the kind of thing ya might need pretectin’ from.”
Zeil stopped and looked back, “Really?... you don’t seem that intimidating…”

Like before, Zeil felt odd that his more or less disrespectful tone seems to show without him trying. But since he didn’t want to deal with this stallion he didn’t mind it as he waited for the shire to respond, “Oh laddie. Ya may have caught me off guard with that evil eye of yours last night. But now that I’m sobered up, ya can’t scare me. Ya see, last year in the war I was amongst the highest on the kill count, right behind Cunningham. Then again that lad knew a thing or two about killing ch-”
“Am I interrupting something?”
Without expecting the druid’s interruption, both Zeil and the large stallion looked at Cunningham as he trotted up and continued, “I see your busy makin’ friends and all wee laddie, but we do have potions to get started on.”
The large shire smiled, “Well, speak of the devil… I’m about to teach this little striped whelp what happened when he tussles with the McHolt Clan. S’pose ya want to join in?”

Cunningham chuckled, “Mr Loach, ya make it sound as if we were some two bit gang of thieves and muggers. But since I have interest in seeing what the lad has… Go ahead and fight ‘em, We’ll even call it a clan challenge. Though remember our traditions, if he refuses to fight, then you aren’t allowed to hurt ‘em.”
Loach looked at Zeil and replied, “So how ‘bout it laddie, are ya gonna fight me like a real stallion, or are ya gonna crawl back to ya crib like a wee foal hidin’ in his striped footie pajamas?”
Zeil gave the large stallion an unamused look as he replied, “I have no time for this.”
As Zeil turned away Cunningham nodded and use what he knew to encourage the fight, “Aye, you have your bonnie lass to get to don’t ch’a.”
Taking the bait to provoke him, Loach smiled, “Ahh… so he has a lass does he? S’pose you should introduce her to me laddie, that way she can meet a real stallion.”

Cunningham smiled as he could feel Zeil’s anger build as Zeil turned back to Loach and spoke, “Watch your words… or they’ll be your last.”
After saying that, Zeil felt a little confused since he didn’t mean to say anything, let alone a threat. Nevertheless, Zeil kept his ground without showing any hesitation with his word. Cunningham however could sense a change in Zeil’s aura while he held his silence as Loach smiled and replied, “What is it laddie? Worried your bonnie lass would look passed ya once she saw an alpha like meself? You should be worried. Seein’ me, only points out everything you can’t give her.”
Zeil glared at Loach as an incredible rage filled his body making Cunningham smiled as he mumbled quietly to himself, “There it is again, an aura that ain’t his own… A darkness about ‘em… is it brought about by anger?”
Not hearing him clearly Loach looked at Cunningham as he asked, “What was that?”
Cunningham replied, “So it looks like this scuffle will carry on after all. Then so be it… I'll let ya know now, per clan tradition, groin and throat shots are acceptable in this fight.”
Loach smiled, “So then it will be a friendly competition is it… then let’s set our rule.”

A small herd of the village’s residents gathered to watch as Zeil felt confused, “Rule?”
Cunningham nodded, “Aye laddie, tradition claims that both fighters have to make and agree to one rule each before beginnin’. If one refuses to follow the rule then the fight doesn’t happen. But if one happens to agree to the rule and break it during the fight, then he forfeits his honor, and in some cases… his life.”
Enjoying the attention from the gathering herd, Loach smiled, “Aye… and my rule… none of that hocus pocus nonsense. Don’t think I didn’t listen when I heard ya tellin’ McNess that you were an enchanter last night. If we fight, we fight without magic.”
Zeil nodded as he replied, “Alright then my rule… is… um…”
As Zeil tried to think of a rule, Cunningham threw in a suggestion, “How about this… the fight will end once one of ya surrenders or is unable to continue. That way, if one of ya chickens out or has all his bones broken, the other won’t continue tryin’ to kill ya. That sound alright to you?”
After hearing the suggestion, Zeil nodded, “Agreed, I'd rather not kill anypony today anyways.”

Cunningham smiled at Zeil’s confidence as Loach replied, “Seems a slight foolish, but fine, if ya want to make this easy, I’ll try not to kill the wee laddie…” He looked at Zeil and smiled, “I'll just maim ya instead.”
Cunningham nodded, “Then it’s settled, let’s go to the hill’s peak. It’s the flattest and fairest field for you two to fight.” He turned to the gathering villagers, “And you’re all welcome to come watch the show!”
The two challengers nodded as they and the surrounding villagers who witnessed the argument followed, as the druid led everypony to the summit. As they trotted, Cunningham fell back till he was next to Zeil as he spoke quietly, “This should go without sayin’ laddie… but about our earlier conversation. It still stands… it would be a good idea taken ‘em on without revealing your uh… true self. ya get my drift?...”
Zeil nodded as he replied, “This is my true self… and I intend on fighting him fairly.”
Cunningham could only admire Zeil’s confidence as he replied, “Suits yourself lad. I on the other hoof would try to think of ways to cheat. Then again that’s just me.”
Zeil smiled at Cunningham’s comment as the small herd of shire and their changeling visitor continued to the summit of the hill.

As soon as the two reached the hill the two stepped onto the flattest part of the summit as the larger shire smiled, “Last chance laddie… I'd call it quits while ya still have all four hooves.”
Once again something spoke in place of Zeil as he replied, “Let’s just start this so I can end you...”
Hearing the harsh tone, the surrounding spectator’s started getting riled up with excitement as Cunningham sensed the darkness in Zeil once again. Cunningham smiled as he spoke, “Easy laddie… it will be over in due time. You two ready?... now… choose your weapon.”
Zeil was confused, “Wait… what?”
At that moment Zeil’s opponent looked to the crowd as he called, “Give me a maul!”
With that call, the surrounding villagers tossed in a large war hammer into the arena as the heavy weapon hit the ground with a big thud that made Zeil feel slightly nervous, “Um… Am I missing som-”

Cunningham interrupted, “Well laddie? Clan tradition states that when two decide to face each other in a one on one fight, both sides make a rule and choose a weapon. So… make your choice.”
Trying to think of a weapon to ask for, Zeil hesitated, but before he could make his choice, the indecisive changeling looked back at his foe as he noticed that the large stallion had already picked up his weapon and was charging at Zeil like a freight train. Quickly reacting to his attacker’s actions, Zeil jumped out of the way as the massive stallion swung his large war hammer in a vertical motion as the hammer head hit the ground with enough force for Zeil to feel the earth below him shake from the shock. Relieved he wasn’t hit by the massive hammer, Zeil called, “Where were ya’ll even keeping those?”
Cunningham called back, “It’s a small hillside town lad. We’re all packin’ iron.”
Reacting to his missed target, Loach swung his hammer horizontally from where it hit the ground before as Zeil once again jumped out of its path as he spoke, “I don’t know… give me a staff!”
A large glaive was passed to Cunningham as he called, “Closest thing we have to that is this! Catch!”
With that Cunningham tossed the long weapon to Zeil so he could catch it but before he could Loach stepped between Zeil and his weapon as he swung his hammer straight down on top of the airborne weapon as the massive hammer smashed through the glaive’s shaft removing the blade from the weapon and imbedding both pieces in the ground. The surrounding herd cheered at the spectacle as the cocky shire smiled at his accomplishment, “Too slow lad, now you deal with me.”
Worried, Zeil jumped back away from his foe as, he watched Loach ready his weapon again for another charge.

As the tall stallion approached his foe a second time, he raised his hammer to strike as Zeil saw it clearly. The hammer was massive, but with its weight, it only slowed down the large shire as Zeil found the openings he needed. With the massive weapon in the air and ready to come crashing down on its victim, Zeil charged forward as he approached his opponent at a range that was too close to strike as Zeil punched the stallion in his gut as hard as he could. Sadly, in his current form, Zeil’s punch managed to do almost nothing to the large stallion as the shire slammed his hammer on the ground, released his weapon and swung at Zeil hitting the small zebra shaped creature and tossing him five feet from where he was standing. Stunned by the hit he took, Zeil rolled himself over and spit out the blood in his mouth as the larger shire rubbed his gut and coughed at the impact, “That was a decent hit laddie… but it’s nothing compared to what I can do.”
Wiping the blood from his mouth and flinging it from his hoof onto the ground, Zeil looked at his foe as the changeling mumbled, “He is tough… but I’ve taken down tougher.”

With that Zeil stood up as he saw the large shire charging again. With his target closing in Zeil immediately thought up a strategy as he mumbled in his mind, “When he is close enough, I'll go for his hind hooves since both his front hooves will be on his weapon. Then when he hits the ground, I'll brake the shaft on his hammer then use it to knock him unconscious that will be what ends this.”
With his plan set, Zeil waited while the large shire was closing in. But before the threat was close enough to launch his plan, Zeil started hearing a slight ring, which soon turned into another intense headache as he cringed in pain, “N-no… not now…”
Like the last, this headache was soon accompanied by a vision, as he saw the same tomb as before only this time, Zeil saw a tall dark alicorn with bat-like wings standing in the center of the pillars next to the chest, as he smiled in the most sinister fashion that Zeil had ever seen. Luckily the vision ended there, as Zeil found himself standing back on the battleground with his hoof on his head as he mumbled, “What… who was…”

At that moment, the distracted changeling looked up to see that the charging shire was now right in front of him as Zeil found himself too close to follow through with his plan or even dodge the incoming war hammer. Knowing that there was no escape, Zeil impulsively shielded his face, though even he knew it would do no good. However, before the large hammer could make contact with its target, time seemed to slow down, as the maul’s wooden handle shattered into splinters leaving the head of the hammer to fly over its target as its edge glanced across the top of Zeil’s head, knocking the disguised enchanter to the ground with a fraction of its force as it broke the skin and stun him. The surrounding herd stopped cheering and stared in shock as Zeil laid on the ground trying to ignore his pain and dizziness while he looked up to see that the hammer’s handle wasn’t shattered spontaneously. It was actually hit very precisely by the broken shaft of Zeil’s glaive as Cunningham stood between the downed changeling and his attacking foe.

Confused, Zeil tried to stay conscious from the hit he took as Loach lowered the hammer’s handle and spoke, “Why did ya stop me Cunningham? You know it’s against tradition to step in on a challenge.”
Cunningham nodded as he lowered the weapon and replied, “Aye… I know, but I stepped in for two reasons. First… a clan spar’s rules only apply to the clan members which… the lad ain’t. And second… didn’t ya see how he was acting… it was obvious the shocks from the first few attacks concussed the wee laddie and made it so he couldn’t continue, so I stepped in before you could turn him to paste.”
Loach was angry, “The lad accepted the fight, the rules, and what’s to come of it. Druid or not, you don’t have the right to stop this fight now that it’s started!”

Cunningham smiled, “Oh… then by all means continue, but remember one thing Mr. Loach. You broke the rules too.”
Loach gave him a suspicious look, “What are you getting’ at?”
The herd stared in curiosity as Cunningham continued, “The fight don’t start till both sides are ready. You didn’t give the wee lad a chance to retrieve his weapon. Meanin’ he wasn’t ready. And as a clan member, you should know and follow the traditions of our clan, whether your opponent is or isn’t a member of said clan.”
Seeing that he was in the wrong, Loach spoke, “Wha… but… you can’t…”
Cunningham’s smile turned sinister, “As the McHolt Clan’s Druid, it is my responsibility to uphold the clans’ rules as tradition dictates. So in this case lad, I can and I will… remember that, unless you’d be willin’ to accept that the rules don’t apply to the outsider and that this fight is decided with a draw. Actually, I'll sweeten the deal for ya, you win by knockout how that. Then you can keep your honor, we can ignore this little violation of tradition and you’ll even have braggin’ rights over beatin’ the wee little laddie who is a quarter of your size by-the-way, in a fair fight where you were armed and he wasn’t. how’s that sound?”

Although he knew he was being mocked, Loach still new that this was one argument he couldn’t win. So he could only toss his broken weapon aside as Loach as he turned around and replied, “Fine… you win this one Cunningham… but that zebra better watch his step around me. Or next time I won’t be so forgivin’.
Cunningham smiled, “As long as you don’t start anything, he won’t be a problem. Scouts honer.”
Annoyed Loach trotted through the observing herd as he mumbled in irritation, “Yea, like you’re a scout… I’m goin’ to the pub.”
With that Cunningham looked to the surrounding Villagers as he announced, “You heard me lads, this fight is decided, Mr. Loach is the winner and that’s all there is to it. Now go about your ways.”

As the surrounding herd of spectators started to disperse, Cunningham tossed the halberd in his hoof aside as he looked down at Zeil and spoke with a serious tone, “What did ya see wee laddie?”
Zeil started opening his mouth to reply, however as he did, a sudden head rush overtook him as the defeated changeling fell flat on the ground and lost consciousness. Seeing this Cunningham sighed, “Fine… I'll just have to check your mind meself.”
With that said, Cunningham turned away from his unconscious student, but as he did, he noticed splotches of Zeil’s blood on the ground in front of him as he took the opportunity to take out a vial and collect some of the blood as he mumbled, “Never know when you need some changeling blood… maybe I can use it to cure this curse of mine.”

Hours later, Cunningham entered his home with a saddlebag full of assorted ingredients as he pointed to the back room and spoke, “Put ‘em back there. That’s where he is stayin’ for now.”
Hearing the instruction, McNess entered the home carrying Zeil as he trotted to the back room and laid the still unconscious changeling down in the bed as Cunningham entered the back room and spoke, “Thanks again brother, I couldn’t carry both my ingredients and him at the same time. I ain’t as strong as I use to be.”
McNess gave him an annoyed look as he replied, “Fine, But next time, you carry the bug yourself. Now if you will excuse me, I gotta head home and get a shower. I have to wash his filth off me before I can open the pub for the evenin’
ignoring the rather harsh comment, Cunningham smiled, “Alright… I'll see ya later then.”

As Cunningham followed McNess into the main room, McNess opened the front door as he paused, “I'd never thought I would see it though…”
Cunningham was confused, “See what?”
McNess replied without turning around, “Seeing you go soft… A year ago ya called the order to hunt down and kill all of ‘em. Every single one.”
Cunningham nodded, “Aye… and we did.”
McNess turned to the druid, “Then why are ya sparin’ this one? Need I remind you, they started this fight! They came to us and threatened us. Said if we didn’t surrender our love to them we’d be sorry.”
Cunningham nodded, “Aye, and we laughed at them and turned them away. Then one snuck into our town disguised as one of us and stabbed our chief in the back… stabbed Aria… in the back.”
Cunningham sighed to keep himself calm, “That’s why we killed them… that’s why I gave that order and that’s why the Highland Hive is now a mass grave.”

McNess nodded, “Aye… and still you spare this one.”
Cunningham nodded, “Because he ain’t from the Highland Hive. I don’t think he even knows that that hive ever existed. That order and my curse are the results of anger and frustration. They don’t deserve to be laying there rotting in that cavern, no more then the prisoners deserved to be executed after the battle ended. I won’t repeat my greatest sin.”
McNess continued, “You gave yourself that curse to help you hunt them down no matter what they look like.”
Cunningham sighed, “And look how it’s benefited me, since I used that assassin’s blood to cast this spell, I’ve felt the emotions and aura of every living thing in this world. Do you know how it feels to trot outside and feel the emotions of every animal on a field of livestock? Or feel the pain of everypony at a funeral. Or even the empty joy of every drunk that sits at the bar? It ain’t a good feeling lad. Maybe if I grew up getting used to it I could handle it better, but I still have a hard time sleepin when I can sense the aura of every bug, bat, and rat scurrying in and outside my home. This curse is my punishment, and the same goes for that.”

Cunningham pointed to the poison joke that was incased in glass as McNess sighed, “Say what ya want… but that supposes joke spell is nothing but a myth. But aside from that, you’re a war hero. After aria died, ya led the charge into the changeling hive and claimed revenge for Aria’s death. Thanks to you, our clan still has it’s honor.”
Cunningham shook his head, “I’m a murderer lad… I committed genocide out of my own anger and for that I can never go back to what I was before. There is no honor in that. at least I can save this one, but that is nothin’ to the debt that I owe them.”
McNess gave him a look of confusion, “Debt?... listen to yourself. Your showin’ sympathy for a pest. Actin’ the way you are is like feelin’ sorry for the rats that we kill in our storehouse.”

Cunningham sighed, “Maybe… but until I know he is a threat, I ain’t gonna hurt ‘em. This lad is my chance for repentance. And I ain’t gonna let it pass me by.”
McNess shook his head as he turned back to the door, “Fine… do what ya want lad. Just don’t let this one trick you. I’ve lost enough family to those things already.”
With that said, McNess left Cunningham’s home as the distraught druid sat down and tried to think. As he pondered his actions, Offspring landed next to him as the raven squawked leading Cunningham to speak, “I know I’m walking a razors edge, but I have to know if he is the good, the bad, or just a bystander. After Aria was stabbed, I came to her bedside but her wound couldn’t be treated. All my potions only heal flesh, we didn’t have anything to stop the bleeding inside her. For three days we tried everything we could think of. But even forbidden spells couldn’t stop death. All we could do, was numb her pain enough for her to give her last prediction, and...” He rubbed his head in irritation, “After she passed… I lost it. I found the killer, tortured him mercilessly then when he finally died, I used his blood to curse myself then gave an order to attack the changeling hive, hunt down any who tried to flee, then executed all of ’em, even the prisoners. My pain killed them all, and when the dust cleared, I crawled out of the blood and dirt with nothing but regret.”

A tear rolled down his cheek as Cunningham wiped it away before speaking, “I ain’t gonna let that happen again. I’m gonna see what that changeling saw. Right now.”
With that, Cunningham placed his saddlebag on the table as he started pulling the potions and ingredients out and setting them beside the bag, as he did this, he pulled out the small veil with Zeil’s blood as this peaked Offspring’s interest. Not noticing the raven’s attention, Cunningham continued looking through his bag till he found a rose colored potion as he took the potion with him back into Zeil’s room. After entering the room, Cunningham preceded to pour a small amount of the potion on his hoof as he spoke, “Sight of the mind… show me his final vision.”

As soon as he said that, the potion started to glow as he rubbed it onto Zeil’s forehead leaving the potion to instantly evaporate into a white vapor. As soon as he lifted his hoof Cunningham raised it up like it was when he spoke seconds ago as the vapor accumulated in his hoof and opened a small portal that started to reveal an image in its center. Cunningham stared into the portal, it soon revealed the large alicorn that Zeil had seen earlier. As Cunningham looked at the evil creature he had no idea what to make of it. The creature resembled the royal alicorn in height, but his dark coat and bat like wings made him seem similar to a bat pony then an alicorn. Small hills of black sand surrounded his hooves as if he were an ancient statue standing in a forgotten desert, however with the sand continuously moving, it was more apparent that this alicorn was made up that sand, or had complete control of it. A dark creature composed from literal darkness. Cunningham watched the sand in confusion, while the creature soon melted into sand as the observing druid started to feel an immense aura of evil radiate from the image as the sand sprang to life and lunged at the portal as if it were trying to attack him through it.

Surprised, Cunningham jumped back against the wall as his reflexive action caused the portal to vanish, leaving behind only the memory of the dark creature and his evil aura that could be felt through the void. As Cunningham leaned against the wall, the fear in his mind continued as he spoke out of worry, “That…that thing… what was it… and why is this changeling seei- wait…”
Still trembling in fear Cunningham cautiously approached Zeil as he spoke, “When this wee laddie got angry… I sensed a hint of somthin’ inside him… somthin’ dark… so… this is the darkness she predicted.”
Determined on what he had to do next, Cunningham trotted out of the room as he approached a hall closet as he opened the door and pulled out a large two sided sword as he looked into the blade and mumbled, “Before this darkness can awaken… I got to kill ‘em.”

Seeing his master look into the sword, Offspring flew towards Cunningham as he flew in front of Cunningham and hovered with the vial of Zeil’s blood in his talons. Not seeing the vial, Cunningham spoke, “Ya can’t talk me out of it this time bird. He dies now.”
Without giving Offspring the chance to react, Cunningham turned back towards the room as he started towards it. Offspring tried to fly alongside Cunningham with the vail still in his talon as he squawked as if he was trying to convince him to stop. Ignoring his avian assistant Cunningham replied, “This changeling is harboring a dark evil in him. I aim to stop it before it awakens.”
Still trying, Offspring flew in front of him just as he reached the door as the raven continued trying to stop him as Cunningham spoke out of anger, “Don’t get in my way bird! I should have seen that this changeling is no different from the rest. He knew about this evil in ‘em, yet he ain’t said a word to me. If he wants to keep this secret of his, then I'll let him…” He pushed passed the raven as he opened the door, “I'll let him take it to his grave!”

With no concern for Offspring’s attempts to calm him, Cunningham slammed the door behind him leaving the raven in the main room as Cunningham approached the unconscious changeling who was laying in the bed. Looking down at his lifeless target, Cunningham mumbled, “One year ago… your kind took my life from me… and I destroyed them for it. I can never repent for this misdeed, and I thought I could try with you… but I can’t. You and that darkness in ya, can only die to better anythin’. It’s a shame it had to end this way laddie… I kinda liked havin’ you around. But I can’t let this darkness awaken to harm us all.”
With that Cunningham raised his sword up high and aimed for Zeil’s neck as he took one last bracing sigh before beginning his execution. However just as he moved his blade an inch, a bright light shined directly into his eyes as he paused his swing and lowered one hoof to shield his eyes from the light.

Confused, Cunningham looked towards the bright golden light that was shining on him from above as he realized it was actually a reflection off the sword’s blade and the real source was actually coming from behind him. Cunningham turned around to see that light was shining from under the room’s door as he mumbled, “What in blue blazes?”
Curious, the druid lowered his sword as he trotted to the door and followed the light as it shined from the main room in the home. As soon as he entered, Cunningham froze in shock as he found that the bright golden light that stopped his execution was coming from the glass incased poison joke that sat on his shelf which was now revealed as a golden joke. Shocked, Cunningham mumbled, “The Joke… its gold again?... but… it hasn’t been gold sense Aria… how?”

Slowly, Cunningham approached the golden joke as he realized that there was a small vail sitting on top of the glass casing. The same vail that held a few drops of Zeil’s blood. After seeing this, Cunningham looked over at Offspring who was sitting on his perch in the corner of the room watching as Cunningham looked back to the vail, picked it up and slowly backed away from the golden plant. As he stepped further and further from the golden joke, the bright light emitting from it slowly dulled itself down with each step until after about five paces, the gold joke had turned back to blue. As he saw this, Cunningham looked to Offspring as he spoke, “Clever bird… but… this means that the lad… used this spell… a spell that calls for a part of his own kind. Did he use his own… or another?... did he commit self-mutilation… or murder.”
Cunningham thought to himself then nodded as he leaned the sword against the cabinet, approached a drawer, “I’m tired of playin’ this guessin’ game.” He opened the drawer and pulled out a vail filled with a greenish powder as he continued, “When he wakes, I will get answers… and I'll do it my way.”

Author's Note:

Image of The Dark Alicorn

PreviousChapters Next