• Published 2nd Dec 2018
  • 1,872 Views, 229 Comments

Love's Lost Decade - Priceless911



Zeil, a changeling in love sets out on an incredible 10 year journey. Crossing blistering deserts, Frozen Mountain, treacherous forests, and unbelievable dangers. But is his journey merely an accident or was he fated to find what lies within him.

  • ...
3
 229
 1,872

PreviousChapters Next
Bk2/Ch3 Inner Turmoil

Book 2 / Chapter 3
Inner Turmoil
Year 00 Month 04 Day 20

Zeil sat in a deep meditative state as the Ibex master paced around him and spoke, “See anything yet?”
Zeil shook his head as he replied, “Nothing… just more darkness… this cave is… strange. It’s like it’s trying to block our visions.”
The Ibex smiled as he looked around the sacred pool as he spoke, “Yes it does that… but this is the only way to strengthen our connection with the universe around us. Try this… imagine a point of clarity… suppose a time when you started to understand something that you once misunderstood, say a friend’s feelings, or discovering a harsh truth.”
Sitting in the center of the sacred cave, Zeil started to think of what the master said as he started to think back. First he tried thinking about how he realized that Queen Chrysalis’s actions were more harmful then good, but this only made him angry. Next he tried thinking about the day he noticed the difference between he and his brother’s treatment when growing up in the swarm, but this too only made him slightly depressed. Finally he started to think about something more recent. He imagined the day Zecora showed him through the manticore breeding grounds. He envisioned all the actions he made to appeal to the guarding males and the protective mothers in the herd as his mind started pressing on the congratulatory smiles on Zecora’s face when he was accepted in their territory.

With these thoughts in mind, Zeil started to smile at the visions of his love as the blind master started to sense his peace as he spoke, “Now my student… what do you see?”
Although his mind was entirely on Zecora, Zeil slowly returned to his meditative thoughts as he replied, “I see… an outline… sort of like… a pencil sketch. It’s all around me… the difference between the water’s surface and the ground around it is difficult to tell apart… but… I can see them now. And… I can see you too.”
The Ibex master smiled, “Good, then you have attained a better state of peace… but only an outline?... this means there is more to your troubles… perhaps, an unanswered worry or question in your mind. I wonder… What is it you will say to Rafi once you see him?... what questions would you ask?”

Zeil opened his eyes and thought to himself before replying, “I guess… my first question would be about this thing inside me.”
The master shook his head, “You didn’t know of this spirit a few days ago… so what would you have asked him prior to it’s discovery?”
Zeil continued, “I guess, what I should do… about this journey I mean.”
The ibex gave Zeil a confused look, “What you should do?... how do you mean?”
Zeil Tried to find a better way of phrasing it, “Well… like… how should I continue? Or… if he feels I even can.”
The Ibex smiled, “Ah… I see now. You have doubt in yourself.”
Zeil tried to reply, “No, it’s not that… I just… well…”
The master shook his head, “Do not shackle this feeling. It is common for even the wisest of souls to feel doubt when undertaking a journey such as this. But the better question to ask would be… How do I suppress this doubt?”

Though he would have phrased it differently, Zeil agreed with the question as he climbed into the water, swam to the shore and climbed out of the pool before replying, “Yea… something like that.”
The Ibex nodded, “Well… perhaps I can answer such a question. First… consider, what would you gain from making such a journey?”
Zeil replied, “I would be able to tell Zecora the truth. And… take light in the fact that she knows I didn’t abandon her by choice.”
The master smiled, “So… it would ease your conscience… anything else?”
Zeil felt a little embarrassed to continue as he replied, “Well… I would like to stay there with her. I… would like to spend the rest of my life by her side.”
The ibex smiled, “Ah… as her husband?”
Zeil’s grey coat between the striped on his face turned red as he replied, “Wh-what? No… no… I… I mean… maybe… someday at least.”

The ibex nodded as he replied, “I see… your love for this mare truly runs deep… so… if you were to cease this journey… then what would you do?”
Zeil tried to think, “I… well… I don’t know… I… I have nowhere else to go.”
The master shook his head, “I’ve never understood that statement… nowhere to go. You have plenty of places to go… You have a whole world around you. You only lack a place you feel you can trust others. But… in doing such a thing, you would void yourself of the happiness you wish to experience with Zecora correct?”
Zeil nodded, but didn’t reply as the ibex continued, “Then there is your answer, the way to suppress your doubt is to understand the result of both finishing the journey, and abandoning it.”
Zeil sat down and tried to think to himself as he mumbled, “But… is that enough?”
The master shook his head, “That is not a question that Chief Rafi nor I could ever answer… that question is for you. But, perhaps it’s a question for another time.” he raised his hoof to feel the air around him, “The humidity is rising… Dusk is approaching. At this time you should return to the temple to rest. We can continue training in the morning."

Zeil nodded as he turned towards the exit, “Okay, but what about you Sensei? What are you going to do?”
The wise master sat down as he replied, “This old goat needs to meditate. I wish to see what my guide thinks of your progress. Even I need questions answered from time to time.”
Zeil asked, “I remember you mentioning earlier that your spiritual guide is a mare, can I ask who?”
The ibex nodded, “All I know is that she is a mare from a faraway kingdom that is no more. Nevertheless, she guides me as I guide my students, now go… the day is done and now is the time when those who train should rest.”
Although he wanted to know more, “Zeil felt that the old billy didn’t dwell too far into his guide’s life to know more, so with nothing more to talk about, Zeil left the old goat alone as he exited the cave and made his way back to the temple.

As the changeling arrived back at the large sanctuary, he entered through the main arch gate into the large quart yard that usually held an assortment of training monk, but given the time of day, they had all retired leaving the yard empty. Continuing through the temple, Zeil entered another wing of the complex where he noticed that there were two monks still out training. In the final training ground next to the main shrine stood both Serenity and what appeared to be a light tan unicorn, however Zeil could tell right away that the aura the unicorn was giving off wasn’t unicorn at all, it was Shangri-La in disguise. Seeing the only other changeling in the entire temple about to take on the strongest of the master’s disciples intrigued Zeil as the curious changeling sat down as he started watching the spar from a safe distance. Then as both worriers eyes each other down with wooden spears in hoof, Serenity gave him a nod as if she said begin. Like a machine whose switch was activated, Shangri-La charged at Serenity and attacked with a barrage of rapid attacks as the skilled disciple used her spear to block each swing and thrust that Shangri-La attempted.

One by one, Shangri-La swung and trusted his spear with attacks that were both accurate and effective for winning a fight, but no matter how hard he tried, Serenity was easily able to block the attack while using no effort to counter in any way. Seeing his obstacle, Shangri-La decided to change his stance so that he had a small opening in his defense that was obvious, then he preceded to space his attacks slightly to allow Serenity to have a clear shot at him through his offence. Although Zeil didn’t see the obvious trap, Serenity did as she decided to follow it as she parried Shangri-La’s spear then thrusted the wooden blade of her weapon into the window in his defense. As soon as this happened, Shangri-La used his fast reflexes to release his weapon and jump to the side, then as Serenity’s blade passed him by, he used his right hoof to grab her weapon right under the wood blade, then used his left to hit the spear right behind where he grabbed it causing the wooden shaft to break while leaving the wooden blade in his right hoof as if it were now a dagger.

Surprised by the strategy, Zeil continued watching as Shangri-La tossed the blade of Serenity’s spear away then quickly picked up his weapon again and tried to swing at her with one powerful horizontal swing. Although the blade of her spear was now gone, the shaft remained as serenity buried the shaft into the ground and shifted her body behind it as Shangri-La’s attack hit the damaged weapon once again blocking his attack on the mare he was trying to hit. Then before he could react to the failed attack, Serenity used the same technique that damaged her weapon as she used her left hoof to grab Shangri-La’s spear just under the blade. Then, releasing her weapon and shifting her body completely around, Serenity used her right wing to swing upward as the contact she made with his weapon shattered the staff just below the wooden blade. With her back now turned to her opponent, the skilled mare didn’t waste a moment as she kicked back hitting Shangri-La in his face as the powerful kick tossed the unicorn disguised changeling across the area as he dropped his weapon and rolled to a stop.

Although the monks were fighting a hundred feet away, Zeil started feeling an intense emotion coming from Shangri-La, it was rage. With the emotion controlling him, Shangri-La picked himself up and charged at Serenity without even attempting to retrieve his weapon as the skilled mare waited till he was close enough for her to react. With an angry glare, the enraged changing charged at Serenity as he tried to tackle her. However just as he lunged forward, the disciple jumped into the air and thrusted her damaged weapon down as the end of the broken spear hit Shangri-La right above the unicorn horn on his head as the impact threw his head into the ground causing the changeling to stop his charge immediately. With that, the airborne pegasus flew towards Shangri-La’s abandon weapon as she swooped down, scooped it up, then flew back to her stunned opponent. As Shangri-La tried to regain his focus, serenity leveled out her flight right over him as she thrusted both staved down and embedded them in the ground on both sides of Shangri-La’s neck before crossing them over each other in a scissor formation pinning him down and cutting off his air.

For the first few seconds, Serenity emotionlessly held Shangri-La on the ground as he grabbed both broken spears and tried all he could to free himself to get air. Then Shangri-La finally stopped struggling as he started tapping one of the spears while trying to speak, “I… I get it… eno…”
Seeing he’s been beaten, Serenity stopped crossing the spears as she pilled both weapons from the ground and jumped back a few feet before landing and tapping them together as they made a wood chiming sound. Hearing this Shangri-La picked himself up, changed into his changeling form, and rubbed his neck as he spoke, “I know, I know… my anger took hold again. I apologies… I'll try to work on it.”
Serenity gave him a dull look as if she didn’t believe him as she tossed the staves to the ground and trotted passed him. As she started passing Shangri-La Serenity gave him an angry glare that spoke to him as if she were telepathic. Knowing what her gaze meant, Shangri-La sighed, “I promise I will work on it. Peace bring tranquility and that’s what I need to survive.”
Serenity nodded as if to say, remember that, as she continued trotting passed him and went into the main temple behind him.

Seeing her irritation Shangri-La sighed, “Failed again…”
Not hearing his words, Zeil approached as he smiled, “Wow… that was impressive.”
Not knowing he had a spectator, Shangri-La looked up and smiled, “Oh, Zeil, I didn’t see you there… I guess it would have been… if I had won… or at least passed.”
Zeil could hear his doubt, “Passed?”
Shangri-La sighed, “My anger took hold again… every time I fight, my mind reverts back to the old days, and… that’s just not how we train here. Serenity has tried to help break me of that… but so far it’s a hard habit to break.”
Zeil was curious, “The old days?”
Shangri-La nodded, “Back in my old hive. Under my queen, we used to train with anger knowing that it was our anger that could claim other’s love and provide us food. But that was before I left.”
Zeil nodded, “Yea… I know... did you come from Princess Mira’s hive in the east?”
Shangri-La shook his head, “No, my hive was from the far north, under Queen Erica.”
Zeil shook his head “I’m not familiar with her.”
Shangri-La nodded, “Yea, sometimes I wish I wasn’t either.”
Zeil sighed as he nodded, “I know the feeling… So…”

Trying to figure how to word his question, Zeil thought to himself as Shangri-La spoke, “Something on your mind?”
Zeil nodded, “Speaking of the hive… when you left yours… what did you think would happen? It’s just…” He looked down, “I still feel like I abandon something important, and… I’m having a hard time knowing if what I did was the right choice.”
Shangri-La smiled, “Do you love her?”
Zeil looked back in confusion, “What?”
“Zecora, the zebra you left your hive for… do you love her?”
Zeil nodded, “I do… yes.”
Shangri-La patted him on the shoulder, “Then what’s there to question? You left your hive for something better then what you had… I'd say that’s reason enough.”

Zeil asked, “So… is that what you left for? When you abandon your hive?”
Shangri-La sighed, “I left because… in the end, I found I didn’t matter enough.”
Zeil was confused, “What do you mean?”
Shangri-La looked at his changeling hoof as he replied, “I’m not a drone like you… I wasn’t meant to take on any important changeling roles, I was just raised to serve the queen as all workers were.”
Zeil nodded as he replied, “I can’t say I know how you feel, but I had a brother who was the same way.”
Shangri-La nodded as he looked back at Zeil, “When I found this place looking for food for the hive, I thought it would lead to praise from my queen. So… I took the form of a unicorn and played the role of a lost one seeking self-worth. What I found was a lifestyle that was fare better than the one I left behind. Here, they treated me as an equal. And to make it stranger, they knew since day one that I was a changeling, and that I was trying to discover their weakness, so I could bring my hive to steal their love.”
“What did sensei do?”

Shangri-La smiled, “He brought me in and spoke to me calmly just as he had the day I arrived. He said that if my intentions were to bring harm, then he and the rest of the temple would have no choice but to fight back. But till then, I am and would always be a welcomed student of this temple.” He chuckled, “I couldn’t believe it, treated me as an equal, knowing who I was and what I wanted to do. I never knew of anyone, pony, ibex or anything that could ever show such… such… I don’t know… forgiveness, kindness, wisdom… take your pick. Either way… I decided that the hive will be better without the conflict… and me.”
Zeil asked, “But… what if your hive comes for you?”
Shangri-La’s smile seemed to turn to a less happy one, “Why would they?... I’m a worker… one of a million. I was already replaced the day I left, and then some. Besides, it’s been five years since I left my hive… and not one came looking for me.”
Zeil felt a little bad for him as he replied, “I’m… sorry to hear that.”

Shangri-La shook his head, “Don’t be… I found a home that is better than my old hive. With friends that I can trust with my life. And if some day my swarm comes for me… I'll simply tell them to leave.”
Zeil asked, “And… if they refuse?”
Shangri-La chuckled, “You think this temple is defenseless?”
Zeil smiled, “Good point, Serenity alone could defend this place. But still…”
Shangri-La’s smile turned pleasant, “I made my choice to stay because this, is my home. This is where I belong and where I’m happiest. Isn’t that why you left your swarm? Because that mare, that forest, that kingdom is really your home?”
Zeil nodded, “Well… not so much the kingdom… but… Zecora and the Everfree Forest… yea. I would think that’s my home.”
Shangri-La replied, “Then that’s reason enough… not only to defend your home, but to abandon a swarm for it.”

Zeil thought to himself, “Well… I guess when you look at it like that, it makes sense. Maybe I made the right choice after all.”
Shangri-La nodded as he trotted over and picked up his broken spear as he replied, “Of course it does, anyways, is that all? Or is there something else on your mind.”
Zeil replied as he pointed to the broken spear in Shangri-La’s hoof as he continued, “Can I ask about that? Those spears are meant to block swords, how did you punch through them like that?”
Shangri-La smiled as he trotted to a nearby weapons rack, took two none damaged wooden spears from the rack, and replied, “I can show you if you like, it’s a simple technique the sensei teaches that allows us to disarm our opponent.”
Zeil smiled, “Really? Well, I can always use an extra lesson or two, if it’s not any trouble.”

Shangri-La smiled as he handed one of the spears to Zeil, “No trouble at all, always happy to help a fellow changeling. I guess your zebra form is you’re most comfortable?”
Zeil didn’t understand, “Um… comfortable?”
Shangri-La smiled, “Of course, for a changeling to train at their fullest they need a form that helps them find the most peace. Mine is my unicorn form.” He turned into a unicorn, “It’s the form I took when I arrived her and it is the one that was accepted first, so it’s the form I train in. Back in the hive we are taught to take the form of whatever we need to fight or flee, but it’s impossible to master all forms of fighting with all forms of appearances right? That and your best skills always come when you are at peace, so it’s good to have an appearance that matches your type of peace.”

Understanding the concept, Zeil nodded, “Ah… I see, so… I guess this form is my form to train in… since… it’s the one Zecora accepts.”
Seeing that Zeil’s expression started to become depresses, Shangri-La spoke, “You’ll get back to her Zeil. Then, you can tell her the truth, and you to will finally be together.”
With the words cheering him up Zeil smiled as he nodded, “Right… so what’s first?”
Shangri-La trotted to an open area and held the staff at an offensive stance, “Follow my lead… first you need to know how many ways this weapon can attack, then I'll show you how many leave it open for the attack. Once you know that, I can show you its weak points and how to use them to your advantage.”
Zeil nodded as he replied, “Then I’ll fallow your lead.”

Back in the Cave, the Blind ibex sat in a deep stated of meditation as he experienced a vision of a high mountain peak as he sat looking deeply into distance before speaking, “His training is going slowly… but his doubt is declining. I think that within the week… he will be ready to see Rafi.”
Behind the Ibex stood a tall cream colored Alicorn with a crimson mane as she replied, “No… tomorrow he will be ready.”
The ibex turned to the alicorn, “Tomorrow? Are you so sure? He has only had a week of training.”
Another voice spoke as Chief Rafi appeared beside the alicorn as he added, “His doubt is now gone… with a little persuasion he can get past the darkness and seek my guidance. However… his fight is still long ahead of him.”
The ibex tried to act patient as he asked, “You’ve yet to explain the darkness or its intent.”

Chief Rafi shook his head, “As said before, it is a matter that must be dealt with when he is ready to face it… till then, he can only try reasoning with it. Otherwise… it will consume and devour him.”
The Ibex master gave Rafi an annoyed look, “I cannot allow that… though his stay is temporary, Zeil is now a student of mine. And as his teacher, I must see to his safety.”
Chief Rafi smiled, “Do not mistake my guidance for lack of concern. I too want to see him succeed over this threat. However, this darkness predates almost all you see before you. In fact… its age rivals that of even your spiritual guide.”
The ibex gave the Alicorn a curious look, “Is that true?”
The wise alicorn nodded, “It is… but that’s a tale not meant for this time. The matter at hoof is that Zeil must seek guidance tomorrow… and not a day later.”

The ibex nodded, “If the universe seeks it, I will make it so… but… will he be ready to face the darkness?”
The all alicorn shook her head, “We can only hope so… in order for his fate to precede, he must act soon… or… I fear it may be too late.”
Understanding his spiritual guide, the wise master replied as he bowed, “I understand your majesty, I will have preparations made. With hope and good fortune, young Zeil will see your daughter’s kingdom again.”
The queen nodded, “I pray you are right, but only if he is able to quill the darkness, will he ever see Equestria again.” She looked at Chief Rafi, “I will leave him in your care… guide him well.”
Chief Rafi smiled, “Of course… it’s not just his fate that I see value in. but the happiness of my ancestor as well.”

The tall alicorn smiled with peace as she nodded, then turned to trot away as her body dissolved into cherry blossoms. Seeing this, Chief Rafi looked at the ibex master and spoke one last time, “Thank you for your assistance Sensei… I know that with your help, Zeil would be able to find his way. And for that, I’m grateful.”
The sensei nodded, “You know as well as I that assisting lost ones is what we do.”
Chief Rafi smiled, “Yes… then May good fortune smile upon you.”
“And you my friend.”
And with that the vision vanished as the old billy awoke from his meditation and found himself back in the sacred cave.

The next day, the wise master was true to his word, as he led Zeil back into the cave as the two entered the cavern with his disciples and Shangri-La already waiting as Zeil spoke, “Are you sure about this sensei? What if I’m unable to see that shadow again?”
The master smiled, “What is the most peaceful moment of your life?”
Zeil was confused, “What?”
The ibex explained, “A week ago you crossed the stream of balance with perfect peace by envisioning a moment that put you at ease. Recently I’ve noticed that other moments of peace have assisted you in your training, all of which tie to memories of tranquility that you’ve experience prior. So… what is the most peaceful thing you can think of?”

Zeil mumbled as he thought, “I do know of one time… the moment I fell in love with Zecora.”
The ibex master smiled, “A moment of peace can be many things, self-realization, an understanding of one’s feelings or even a simple moment of looking into the distance, just know that your peace will take form in whatever challenge awaits. Hold this peace, and may good fortune smile upon you.”
The ibex master turned to his disciples, “Alright students… in place! The time has come and Zeil’s guide awaits his arrival. Zeil you know what to do.”
Zeil nodded as he carefully climbed into the pool of water as he replied, “Yes sensei…”
With that, Zeil swam to the center pedestal and climbed back out before sitting in preparation of his meditation. After sitting in his place Zeil spoke up, “I’m ready when you are Sensei.”
The ibex master smiled, “Then let us begin.”
With that, the old master sat in place as the rest of his deciples sat around the pool while Shangri-La called from the side of the cavern, “Zeil, I'll be waiting here in case of a repeat of our last incident. Just remember your home… and the rest should come naturally.”

Zeil could only smile at the advice as he closed his eyes and started to focus. As expected, Zeil’s first few seconds of meditation only revealed darkness however just like the last time the monks helped him, the water drops on the ceiling appeared and fell just as the disciples taped the water bringing with it, the full clarity that was his surroundings and more. With this vision of everything around him, Zeil knew what would come next as the vision faded and he delved deeper, until he once again found himself standing in that open field on Equestria, however, there was no grass. This time, the field was wet and muddy with an assortment of broken weapons and shields scattered across the landscape which was itself bright red from a solar eclipse in the sky. Seeing this, Zeil immediately recognized it as the battlefield that Chief Rafi showed him, back when the old zebra was alive. Knowing where he was left no confusion in his expression, as Zeil looked forward and spoke, “Show yourself… I know you’re here.”

Once again, the dark liquid slowly emerged from the mud below as it formed into a dark changeling that spoke without an expression, “So… you’ve returned.”
Zeil nodded, “I had to…”
The changeling sighed, “If you’re looking to seek advice from that traitor, your effort is wasted. You know as well as I he won’t help you.”
Zeil shook his head, “No… because you’re blocking him.”
The changeling became curious, “Am I? How so?”
Zeil couldn’t tell if the changeling was serious or not so he explained, “You and I are part of the same being… so your distrust is preventing him from helping us.”
The Changeling smiled, “Really… good.”

The changeling turned and started trotting away as Zeil spoke up, “I want you to allow him to see us!”
The figure continued without stopping, “Really… and why would I do that?”
Zeil stepped forward, “Zecora!”
The changeling paused as Zeil continued, “If you are truly a part of me… then part of you is in love with her too right?...” The dark changeling turned towards him as Zeil continued, “Can you do it? Can you truly let her believe we abandon her?... can you accept that she will despise and hate us till our dying day… All because we didn’t meet her when we said we would? Can you accept her hatred for that?”
The changeling finally replied, “Your point?”
Zeil replied, “If we intend on changing that, then we need Rafi to help us.”
The dark changeling sighed as he mumbled, “This was the one chosen?...”
“What was that?”

The changeling shook his head, “Nothing… so… if you mean to prevent this… then what do you propose? I’m not simply going to stand aside and let that traitor con us into an early grave.”
Zeil replied with a serious tone, “Then let’s decide with a duel.”
“A duel?”
Zeil nodded, “Yea, a duel… you and me?”
The darkness was intrigued, “And the terms?”
Knowing he had his attention Zeil spoke, “I win… you let me see Rafi and we continue this journey so that Zecora won’t hate us for the rest of our life.”
The changeling replied, “And if I win?”

Zeil gave him a nod, “You make the call. Whatever you decide I won’t object.”
The dark changeling mumbled again, “We must be losing our minds.”
He then stood in silence for a few seconds as he tried to think of an option, then the dark creature replied, “Are you sure you even have what it takes… from where I stand, you are nowhere close to attaining my power. I wonder why you were even chosen to begin with.”
Zeil didn’t understand his words but he was determined as he replied, “I don’t even want your power! I only want to see Zecora again… I just want to make it back to her. And I'll do whatever it takes to do just that… even if it kills me.”
The dark changeling smiled, “Foolish choice of words… however… I accept.”

Back in the cavern, Shangri-La watched Zeil closely as the rest of the monks in the room meditated around the pool. After a few more seconds something happened, Zeil’s body slowly rose into the air as he started growly brightly before his entire body was covered in a cocoon. Seeing this Shangri-La stood up and smiled, “Sensei! It’s happening! He’s becoming reformed!”
With that the ibex master and the rest of the disciples stood up and looked at Zeil as the Sensei smiled, “He is?… Good, then he was successful.”
The group of monks watched the bright cocoon in the center of the cavern waiting for Zeil to emerge from it, however, nothing happened as the cocoon stopped glowing leaving it to turn a dull green. Every monk in the room excluding the master were confused, as the blind master spoke, “Congratulations Zeil, I knew you could do it… for a minute there I was a little worried you wou… wouldn’t… wait…”
Noticing the silence the master’s expression turned serious as he spoke, “What’s going on?”

One of the disciples spoke up, “He changed into a cocoon… but… he isn’t breaking free.”
Worried, both Shangri-La and Serenity flew towards the cocoon and landed next to it as the master replied, “He isn’t awakening? Shangri-La! Is this normal?”
Shangri-La examined the cocoon as he replied, “No… he should have broken free after a brief moment inside… I… I don’t understand what’s going on.”
Serenity placed her ear against it, then after a few seconds she looked at Shangri-La and gestured to it as he too listened in and spoke, “I hear a heartbeat… so… he is alive… but… he isn’t coming out.”
One of the disciples spoke up, “Should we cut him out of there?”
The sensei shook his head, “It’s unwise to do that… a chicken can only hatch once it’s ready. Breaking him out too soon could kill him.”
The disciple asked, “Then… what do we do?”
The sensei looked at the center of the room, “Shangri-La?...”
The worried changeling replied, “The only thing I can think of… is to leave him be. When he is ready he should break out on his own… I hope.”

The sensei nodded, “Then we shall do just that. Make arrangements to move him to the temple. We need to keep a close eye on him while we wait.”
The disciples nodded as they turned to leave the cave, “Yes sensei.”
As the disciples left to gather more to help, Shangri-La flew back to his master as the worried master spoke, “Shangri-La? I understand this is unusual, even to your kind… but if there is anything Zeil needs while he is like this, I want you to see to it.”
Shangri-La nodded as he replied, “I understand sensei but… I’m worried… how long do you think he will be like this?”
The master shook his head, “I cannot say, I would assume it depends on Zeil. I only hope that when he does awaken, it’s still him, and not… something else.”

PreviousChapters Next