• Published 2nd Dec 2018
  • 1,881 Views, 229 Comments

Love's Lost Decade - Priceless911



Zeil, a changeling in love sets out on an incredible 10 year journey. Crossing blistering deserts, Frozen Mountain, treacherous forests, and unbelievable dangers. But is his journey merely an accident or was he fated to find what lies within him.

  • ...
3
 229
 1,881

PreviousChapters Next
Bk9/Ch1 The Tribe, The Chief, and His Wife

Book 9 / Chapter 1
The Tribe, The Chief, and his Wife
(Year 5, Month 6, Day 10)

The sun shined overhead as Zeil stopped in his tracks and sat down as he pulled out a map and looked for the road he was supposed to be on. Zeil looked at the map for a few seconds before lowering it, as he looked ahead at the seemingly endless savanna, looked down at the dirt he was standing on, then panning his eyes back towards the way he just came before sighing in disappointment, “No road… now path… not even a sign…” He shielded his eyes as he looked towards the sun above, “Noon… I can't even tell which direction is north from here.”
Sighing in annoyance, Zeil planted the map on the ground and tried to retracing his path on it as he mumbled, “When was the last time I know I was on the road… and… why is the dirt on the road just as rough and texturized as the dirt off the road… did it have plants growing there… or was that even the road?”

As he mumbled to himself in irritation, his thoughts were soon broken when he heard a loud roar echo from nearby. As Zeil looked in the direction of the ferocious roar, he started to feel the aura of others in that direction. One was of a Zebra who most likely was very young, whilst the other was of some kind of feral feline. As Zeil looked in the direction of the aura, he could only see a long stretch of empty savanna but he could tell that there must be more then what he saw, since he could easily feel the aura of the foal and predator was much closer then what he could see. Concerned for the danger the foal was in, Zeil started rushing towards the aura as fast as he could while paying close attention the aura’s direction and distance. As Zeil ran closer, he soon saw the there was a ravine hidden on the horizon as he quickly stopped as he saw a young filly zebra running through the ravine while being chased by a leopard. The young zebra warrior seemed like any other zebra Zeil had seen, around her neck were a series of rings that Zeil recognized as a normal accessory that even Zecora wore. The main difference between this filly and Zecora was the strap across her torso that allowed the young filly to holster the metal blade spear that was currently on her back. As the filly ran from the predator, Zeil started following the ridge of the ravine in the same direction as he tried looking for a way down to help the young filly.

As Zeil ran along the steep ridge, the filly continued running for her life as soon two more leopards slid down the opposite side of the ravine and joined the first as the filly found herself being chased now by three of the deadly predators. As Zeil followed, he could tell that the perusing predators weren’t just chasing the filly, they were leading her into a trap. Ahead of the filly stood in wait two more of the dangerous felines as the filly soon saw her options as she slid to a stop, drew her spear, and readied herself for a fight. Stopping just up the steep ravine, Zeil quickly looked for a path down as the three perusing leopards stopped in their tracks and watched the fully in caution. Though Zeil could tell that the way the filly was holding her spear showed that she had some sort of training, it was still obvious that even if she were much older, her chances of surviving this attack were still zero. Determined, the young zebra readier her spear towards the three original pursuers as she yelled, “Njoo!”
The center leopard only eyed the filly as the two to the side looked towards the center signifying that this one was the pride leader. Seeing this, Zeil knew what was about to happen as he decided to take his chances and tried sliding down the steep ravine wall as carefully and as fast as he could.

When the filly saw little reaction in the pride, she turned to the two leopards blocking her path as she yelled again, “Nikasema NJOO!!!”
The two blocking leopard didn’t respond, instead they continued holding their ground, as the pack leader took advantage of the mare’s turned back as he alone started charging toward the filly with the intention to take her down with one strike. Hearing the charging feline approach, the filly turned back to look at the approaching leader, but found that she didn’t have any time to react to the attack. Luckily just as the approaching leopard pounced towards the filly, Zeil reached the bottom of the ravine as he charged forward and tackled the airborne predator as his hit threw the pride leader off his path and against the wall of the ravine.
Surprised by his interruption, the filly lowered her spear as she spoke, “Nini?”

After hitting the large jungle cat out of the way, Zeil stood between the filly and two of the original pursuers as he pulled a small dagger from his saddlebag and readied himself as he spoke, “You want her… you go through me!”
Just as that was said, Zeil immediately realized the danger he was in as he started to feel nervous. He didn’t know why he pulled himself into this situation, but he knew that even though he was probably stronger then the filly was at fighting, he still didn’t have the strength to win against five leopards, let alone getting them both out alive. But since he knew he was already in too deep to turn back, he still glared at the pride and readied his stance. At first Zeil placed most of his focus in trying to find an escape route for himself and the filly, however as he did he felt something odd. The vicious pride of leopards didn’t have the emotions of a pack of hunting beasts, or even an angry pride. The emotions they felt when they looked at Zeil, was fear. Though they each hid it well in their ferocious expressions, it was no denying it. The pack of leopards were terrified as if a more ferocious beast had entered the equation. This was confirmed when the four leopards still standing took a step back from their prey as the pack leader quickly picked himself up rushed back to the two he approach with and stared down Zeil in anger.

With the alpha obviously up and ready to fight, Zeil glared at the pack lead as he spoke, “Well?... what are you waiting for?”
As the predator saw Zeil shifting to a more offensive stance, the alpha leopard didn’t attack, instead he only hissed at Zeil before turning back down the ravine and running away in haste. Seeing their pride leader retreat, the rest of the leopards followed suit as the two felines that started the chase turned and followed, as the two leopards blocking the path rushed around Zeil and the filly, passing the two, and continuing down the ravine to catch up to their fleeing pride. As soon as the pride of leopards were gone, Zeil sighed in relief as he spoke, “Well, that ended better then I though… for a second there I thought we were in trouble.”
As he turned to the filly, the young zebra raised her weapon as she spoke, “Jumbo?”
As he heard this Zeil smiled, “Oh… hello to you too… one second, I need to take something first.”

Zeil reached into his saddlebag and pulled out a translation potion however as soon as he pulled the cork on the vial, the filly stopped him as she spoke, “Wait… do… you understand these words?”
Zeil recorked the vial as he nodded, “Yes, I do. So you speak Ponish?”
The filly nodded, “Yes, the oracle, she teaches these words. I'm new to them but I understand.”
Zeil nodded, “Good that will make this easier.”
The filly holstered her spear on her back as she spoke, “You are brave warrior, and you have my thanks from me.”
Though her speech seemed broken Zeil understood as he smiled, “Your pretty brave yourself. Maybe, you can help me. I'm trying to find the Northern Tribes. Do you know how to get there?”
The filly gave him a curious look, “First, we exchange names.” She placed her hoof across her chest in pride, “I am called Kante… and what do they call you brother?”
Zeil smiled, “I am Zeil… it’s nice to meet you Kante.”
She lowered her hoof as she spoke, “You wish to go to the tribe? For what reason?”
Zeil nodded at her caution as he replied, “I need to speak with Chief Basarum.”
The filly hesitated before replying, “You seek the Chief… okay, I will show you to him… Come.”

With an almost demanding stance, the filly turned away from Zeil and began trotting through the ravine as Zeil followed closely while keeping his senses heightened in case the leopard were planning to ambush them. Lucky this didn’t happen as the filly led Zeil out of the ravine and across the Zebrican savannah. After about thirty minutes of traveling the two finally reached a large village that sat on the border of the arid savanna and a large cluster of vegetation with a tall pyramid like temple towering in the center of the Zebrican village. As the two entered the village, Zeil wasn’t surprised that every resident of the village was a zebra, however he was a little concerned that each and every one that saw him gave him a curious but distrusting look as Zeil decided to be cautious of his actions so he wouldn’t offend them. However it wasn’t long before Zeil and Kante were stopped by two warrior zebra wielding spears as one spoke, “Stop… Sister Kante? Who is this outsider you bring here?”
Kante replied, “A warrior from afar, he wishes to see Chief Basarum.”
The warrior gave Zeil an uninterested look as he replied, “You know as well as I the chief won't see him.”
Kante nodded as she hesitated before replying, “I owe him a debt and… the chief may need to pay it. He saved me in the hunting grounds. The leopard were on the hunt”
Confused the two warriors looked to Zeil, then to each other as the first one looked back and replied, “Await the chief at the temple. Only he can decide if you can be seen.”

Far off on the jungle side of the village, a zebra stallion and mare sat on a boulder that was buried in the center of a large patch of bleach white roses. The stallion wore a vibrant dashiki made entirely of glass, feather, and bone beads that were assorted in a green, orange, and red zig zag design that covered his chest but ended before it could hang down and obstruct his movement. The mare wore a small dashiki but hers sat under an assortment of rings similar to Zecora’s with crescent ring on her head with the opening visible on the center of her forehead. As they sat back to back deep in meditation, the mare sensed what was approaching as she smiled and spoke, “And so it begins.”
Although he heard her words, the stallion chose to ignore her as a few warriors approached the area with one speaking, “Chief Basarum, you a-”
The chief held out his hoof and interrupted, “Do not touch the Blood Roses!”
The approaching warrior stopped as he looked down just in time to see one of the bleach white roses within the path of his next step. Seeing this, the warrior stepped back as he spoke, “Chief… Sister Kante was in the hunting ground. She went against your words once again… but this time, the leopard were on the hunt.”
Concerned Chief Basarum opened his eyes as he stood in shock, “What?”
The mare smiled but held her meditative pose, “Troublesome little filly she is, but I suppose she is safe if they speak so calmly of her fate.”
Chief Basarum continued, “Is she alright?”
The warrior nodded as he replied, “She is chief, but she brou-”

Chief Basarum stepped off the boulder and trotted through the white roses casually without touching a single one as he spoke, “Send her to the temple, I will speak to her immediately.”
Though the warrior was surprised the chief wasn’t touching the roses with his steps, he put it to the back of his mind as he replied, “But Chief, she brought an outsider with her.”
Chief Basarum stopped in place that was centered amongst the roses as he spoke, “What? An outsider?”
The warrior replied, “Yes chief, he wishes to speak with you.”
The mare smiled, “And your answer dear husband?”
Still ignoring the mare, Chief Basarum replied, “Turn him away. You know I don’t talk to outsiders. Until he can provide a reason, I do not want him in my village.”
The mare opened one eye as she smiled, “And cue the plot twist?”
The warrior and chief continued to ignore the mare as the warrior replied, “But chief… he saved Sister Kante from the leopards. She says that he is owed a life debt.”
The mare chuckled, “Oh am I the only one who saw that coming?”
Annoyed by her commentary, chief Basarum turned to the mare and replied, “Zera? Do you have anything better to do?”
The mare opened her eyes as she rested her head on one of her hooves as she replied, “Oh no… this is my whole day plan. Even an oracle needs to be entertained on occasion.”

Though he was annoyed by her reply, Chief Basarum turned back to the warrior and replied to the earlier statement, “So… the outsider saved Sister Kante?”
The warrior nodded, “Yes chief, and he is asking to see you by name.”
Chief Basarum thought to himself for a few second before turning back to the mare, “Zera, what do you make of this outsider? What is his place in time to come?”
The mare stopped resting her head on her hoof as she sat up as spoke seriously for a moment, “His future is clouded. And his fate, set… I cannot get involved in the telling of that fate for if I do, it can be a great danger.”
The warrior spoke up, “To whom lady oracle?”
The mare shook her head, “I cannot say.”
Thought the warrior was convinced, Chief Basarum wasn’t as he sighed, “Are you sure? Or are you saying that because you want to see the shock and awe on every zebra’s face when we discover the truth for ourselves?”
The mare smiled sinisterly as she giggled, “Oh dear, you know I can't see a zebra’s fate till I meet them face to face. And before you say I should look into your future to see his goals, just consider this… a test of fate.”

Chief Basarum sighed in irritation as he replied, “Why I married an oracle I'll never know…”
The Oracle adjusted her mane slightly as she gave a charming smile, “It was an arranged marriage… and one that I did agree with after all. You should count yourself lucky to have such a catch.”
Ignoring this Chief Basarum turned back to the warrior and spoke, “Nevertheless, the outsider is owed a life debt, and tradition says I must speak to him in regards of this debt. So… send them both to the temple. I will be there shortly.”
The Warrior tapped his spear on the ground and nodded, “Understood.”
As the warriors left, Zera stepped off the boulder and trotted casually towards her husband while also not touching a single white rose as the chief spoke, “Zera, must you act so foalish all the time? Perhaps a little decorum is needed for an oracle of Zebrica?”
The mare approached as she replied while placing her hoof on his cheek, “We both are stubborn, but that is why we are perfect for each other.” She kissed him then continued, “When will you stop holding a grudge towards the outsiders? When will you let our daughter go?”
The chief sighed as he replied, “When they return her to us.”

With slight anger the stallion turned away and continued trotting through the roses till he reached the end of the patch and continued into the village. Concerned, the mare trotted out of the roses and stopped just outside the garden and watched her husband leave, “Oh my chief, when will you learn.”
She turned to the closest rose as she raised her hoof and cradled one of its petals. As soon as the mare touched the bleach white rose petal, blood started trickling down her hoof and dripped to the ground, “That the world outside isn’t the cause of the deaths of the near future.”

Back in the village Zeil and Kante were guided to a large stone temple that sat in the middle of the village. As the two approached the base of the temple, the two guards standing there stopped them as one spoke, “Your weapons?...”
Knowing the rules, Kante pulled her spear and handed it to the guard as she looked to Zeil and spoke, “You will have to leave your carry sack her. No weapons are allowed in the temple, and no outsiders may bring any possessions.”
Though he felt nervous that his saddlebag could be looked through, Zeil still complied with the rule as he removed the saddlebag and gave it to the guard leaving only his cloak on himself. Since he kept his cloak the warrior patted his sides and back to insure there were no hidden pockets before replying, “Your belongings will wait here for you. The chief is waiting to see you.”
Nodding in agreement, Zeil and Kante started trotting up the long tower of steppes until they reached the top of the steps that were about three stories above ground level. After reaching the top of the steps, Zeil turned and looked over the rest of the village, then turned back to the main building on top as he followed the escorting guards inside.

Once inside, Zeil felt a little surprised, the small stone building on top of the temple resembled a throne room with a single stone throne at the back of the room, however it was far too small to compare to any normal throne room. In fact the way it looked it was barely twice the size of Zecora’s Hut back in Equestria. As Zeil trotted to the center of this small room, he could see three guards standing along both of the side walls as two more stood on both sides of the throne. And in the throne, sat Chief Basarum who held an expression of disapproval. Unable to tell who Chief Basarum was centering this expression towards, Zeil held his silence as chief Basarum spoke first, “Sister Kante…”
Kante lowered her head in disappointment as Chief Basarum continued, “We spoke earlier about this… do you remember what I said… about going into the hunting grounds alone?”
Kante sighed, “Chief… if I do not prove my strength now before the placement trials, then how am I su-”
Chief Basarum stood in anger, “You will get your placement mark when you prove your place! Not before… what good is a mark if it leads to your death!”
As Kante hung her head in shame, Zeil wanted to say something but since it wasn’t his business, he held his silence. However, Chief Basarum could tell that Zeil wanted to say something as he spoke first, “This matter is out of your knowledgs outsider… but I will humor you… speak on the subject if you wish.”
Zeil nodded as he spoke, “Chief… I may be an outsider on this… but in her defense young Kante showed her skill and courage out there today. She was just unfortunate to be caught in the middle of a full pride of leopards.”

Basarum thought to himself as he sat down, “A pride you say… tell me… Sister Kante… how many?”
Kante started to reply, “There were f-“
“In our tongue… tell me? Walikuwa wangapi?”
Understanding, Kante replied, “Tano.”
Chief Basarum nodded, “I see… and you outsider, in your native tongue… How many leopards were present?”
Knowing there was no reason to lie, Zeil replied, “Five.”
Chief Basarum nodded as he hesitated before replying, “It would seem you both speak the truth.”
Kante spoke up, “I have no reason to lie to you chief! A warrior is always honest in her act-”
“If honest you are, then you’ve no reason to disobey me either… yet… here you stand for that very reason.”
She shook her head as she tried to speak in her own defense, “But I o-”
Chief Basarum waved his hoof dismissively, “Enough! Let us speak of this later. Introductions are needed at this time.”
Chief Basarum stood from his throne as he looked Zeil in the eye and spoke, “Outsider, my name is Chief Basarum high chief of the northern tribes of Zebrica. Tell me, who are you?”

Feeling a little hostility in his voice, Zeil stood strait as he spoke with as much respect as he could, “Chief, My Name is Zeil and I-”
“What nation do you hail from, Zeil?”
Ignoring the interruption, Zeil replied, “I was born in the land of the black sand, but… I guess you could say I'm from Equestria.”
As soon as he heard that, Chief Basarum’s expression became intrigued as he replied, “Is that so… Why are you here? And why did you ask to see me personally?”
Zeil replied, “I came here because I wanted to learn magic.”
Chief Basarum leaned back in his throne, “Magic?... hmm.” He thought to himself before continuing, “Zeil of the Black Sand, as chief of the Northern Tribes it is my task to see to the safety of all who reside here. You assisted in this responsibility by saving and protecting young Sister Kante in her time of need. Because of this, the Northern Tribe now owes you a debt that must be paid. Of which will be done so now. I will accept your request, and ask our most skilled enchanter to teach you the basics of magic, if you want something more advanced, then I would ask you journey to the Western Tribes for assistance.”
Chief Basarum sat back down as he continued, “Now that that matter is set, you may go, I will h-“
Zeil interrupted, “With all due respect, I’m not asking for lessons by any enchanter… I'm asking for lessons from you.”
Chief Basarum was intrigued further, “Me?”

Zeil tried to pick his words carefully as he replied with a lie, “I’ve heard you are very skilled with magic, so I journeyed far to reach you.”
Chief Basarum smiled as he replied, “Is that so… Well I regret to inform you, that I no longer teach magic. And If I did, and I mean this with all due resp-… actually no, I mean it as it sounds. If I did teach magic, it certainly wouldn’t be to an outsider.”
As that was said, a zebra mare entered the temple from behind Zeil as the oracle stopped at the entrance and looked to her husband at the throne with an unamused expression. For a split moment, Chief Basarum shifted his eyes to his wife and saw her expression as he looked back to Zeil and continued, “Unless… there were a good reason why I should. But…” He chuckled, “It would have to be gravely important. So… is there.”
Zeil looked at the guards in the room before looking back and replying, “There is… but… I cannot say here. If we could continue in private I would tell you.”

Chief Basarum smiled slightly as he stood and replied, “Stranger… look to the stallion before you. You see a chief who must at all times see to the needs of all brothers and sisters of his tribe. If I were to accept seeing an outsider of whom I just met in private without my warriors to assist me, then my life and responsibility to my tribe would be forfeit. I cannot risk my life so easily just because an outsider wishes to tell me something in absence of my brothers and sisters around me. So unless you can say here… I will accept nothing.”
Zeil hesitated for a second as the chief continued, “So… will you say? Or is this meeting done.”
Remembering the letter in his saddle bag, Zeil sighed in disappointment, “No…”
Chief Basarum nodded, “Then it is done.” He sat back in his throne, “If you will not accept to learn magic from one of my enchanters, then there is no reason for you to remain here.”

The oracle in the back of the room interrupted by clearing her throat loudly as the sound caught Chief Basarum’s attention for a moment. Then trying to act as if her actions had nothing to do with it, Chief Basarum continued, “But… since the tribe has yet to pay back the debt it owes, I will do this.” He sat up strait and spoke, “Zeil of the Black Sand… From this moment forward, you will be a welcomed guest here in the Northern Tribes of Zebrica. You may set up your own shelter on the village edge and so long as you earn your keep, you will be tolerated here as a resident of the tribe. However, you are not a brother of the tribe so do not expect treatment as such. Here, we have no currency so to earn your keep you will work for it.” as he spoke, the oracle left the temple back through the same entrance Zeil used as Chief Basarum continued, “Sister Kante, since it was your disobedience that led to his our debt, you will teach Zeil what it means to be amongst our tribe. And see to his place until he decides a better payment for our debt to him, or decided to leave on his own decision.”
At first Kante didn’t seem to like the decision, however after a moment of thinking about it she smiled, “Understood Chief, I will see to Broth-“
“Just Zeil… as I said… he is no brother to this tribe. He is still an outsider and will be addressed as such.”
She nodded at the chief’s correction, “Yes chief, I understand.”

Chief Basarum looked to Zeil as he spoked, “Zeil… do you accept this? Or do you wish to leave?”
Zeil nodded as he replied, “I accept… but I don’t intend to leave until I learn magic from you.”
Chief Basarum smiled “Then stay as long as you like, but don’t let me regret this.” He waved them away, “Now go.”
Nodding in acceptance, Both Zeil and Kante turned away and left the throne room as they both left the small temple building and made their way down the towering temple steps. As they trotted down Zeil continued in silent thought as Kante spoke, “What is the matter Zeil? Is something wrong?”
Zeil replied, “It’s strange, when I met you at first you spoke in your native language, but since I’ve been here every zebra speaks ponish.”
Kante nodded, “Yes, we learn our language first then ponish next, but with time we forget. The other tribes only speak ponish so we usually only speak for short times with our language. But the oracle tries to keep help every zebra remember both languages. That’s why she teaches us.”
Zeil nodded as he changed the subject, “I guess that make since, but I have to ask, the chief… he doesn’t like outsiders does he?”
Kante smiled, “Do not judge Chief Basarum to badly, he has been distrustful of outsiders for many years. Even before my birth.”
As the two made it to the bottom steps, Zeil started to ask, “Really? Did something happen that caused him to dis-“
“Stop!”
Zeil immediately paused as he found himself looking at the bottom of a hoof as the oracle stood in front of him and held her hoof less than an inch from his face. Seeing the mare Kante smiled “Lady Zera, it’s good to se-“
“Shush!”

Silencing herself, Kante took a step back as the oracle lowered her hoof and trotted around Zeil as she examined every inch of his body leaving Zeil confused and somewhat nervous to the unexpected actions. As she trotted around him, she left no trace of him overlooked as she even lifted his cloak and took a close look at his stripes and placement mark, “Hmmm, good tone. Well-kept but rough coat. Stripes are strait and clean, placement mark… questionable but easily visible.” She continued around him, “Tail a little short bit clean and kept, or as can be for a traveler. I’d question the tone of the tails colors, but an old mare such as I can't judge what the next generation does with mane color.”
The mare continued her examination as she completely circled him then continued by moving his mussel left and right to examine his face, “You have a strong chin and your eyes show your are determined as well as knowledgeable. You should do something about your mane though, it seems to a handsome stallion shouldn’t let it cover his face even if only slightly.”
Although he blushed slightly at the complement, Zeil was unable to reply as Zera placed her hoof on the tip of his muzzle and lowered it down to look directly into his eyes from close up, “Hmmm… you have a strong soul, and gentle in its own ways… your… you’re in love aren’t you?”
Gasping out loud Kante took a step back as she spoke, “Zeil? Is this true?”
Zeil was at a loss of words as he tried to reply, “I… uh…”
All of a sudden the oracle released his face as she turned away and covered her blushing face, “Oh dear me… how scandalous, not that I'm not flattered or anything but an old mare like myself with such a young stud like you… I mean… what would my husband say?”

Completely confused, Zeil replied, “Wait… what?”
The oracle continued, “Well… if I could find time, I may be able to keep it secret from my husband… but what would happen if he should find out? How would I decide the better suiter?”
Zeil caught on as he spoke, “Wait… it’s not like that, I don-”
Kante spoke, “Is it true Zeil? Did you come here to sweep away the oracle? Is that why you asked for Chief Basarum? To woe his wife?”
Still blushing Zeil looked to Kante, “You’re not helping!”
At that moment as if a switch was flipped, the oracle stopped hiding her face as she thrusted her face towards Zeil stopping only a few inches from his as she spoke, “Or…. Is it another you are in love with… a mare of whom you owe a great deal too? Hmm… you came from Equestria? Is it a zebra who hold your heart? A… Zecora perhaps?”
Kante was now shocked, “S-Sister Zecora?” she looked to Zeil, “You know Sister Zecora?”

At first Zeil was confused as to how the mare guessed his love, but he disregarded it as he asked, “Wait… you both know Zecora?”
The oracle replied, “Every Zebra of this tribe knows Zecora, descendent of great Chief Rafi. She is the pride of this tribe after all.”
“And what do you know of Sister Zecora outsider? You failed to mention it before.”
Surprised by the interruption Zeil looked back to the temple’s steps as he saw Chief Basarum trotting down as Zeil replied, “I… I met her in Equestria. She taught me basic magic.”
Kante grabbed his hoof and tugged it with anticipation, “And is it true? Did you fall in love with her?”
Zeil looked at the excited filly’s expression as he nodded, “Yes… I fell for her. That’s why I wanted to get better at magic, to show her what her teaching can accomplish.”
The oracle smiled as she replied, “Her teachings? I hope it isn’t her teachings that brought you to try seducing an old mare like me to be your mistress… and with my husband so close… you dog you.”
Remembering Kante saying that the oracle was Chief Basarum’s wife, Zeil felt nervous as he replied, “Wait… no that’s not…”

Chief Basarum sighed as he spoke, “I hope you will excuse my wife, though she is the Tribe Oracle, at times she can be… a lot.”
Zera looked to the chief and spoke, “Now that’s not a nice thing to say about your wife.”
Basarum smiled, “Oh? Am I wrong?”
She hesitated before pouting as she replied, “Doesn’t make it any less rude.”
Basarum nodded before looking back to Zeil, “So… you hold feelings for Sister Zecora… Tell me… has she returned those feelings?”
Zeil nodded, “Yes… she has.”
Basarum turned back up the stairs and replied in distain, “Funny… to learn magic, from one who didn’t even finish her own training.”
Hearing that the disrespectful comment was centered more to Zecora, Zeil turned completely to Basarum as he replied, “Excuse me?”
Feeling no need to argue, Basarum replied as he left the area, “You heard me… now if you will excuse me, I have a tribe to look after. Be on your way, outsider. Zera, come… we must talk.”

Angry, Zeil started to follow but was stopped by the oracle as she spoke, “Do not take offence to my husband’s disrespect, like myself… he too can be… a lot. But I digress you must be some changeling to woe the heart of a zebra. Tell me is the love real? Or is it as fake as your appearance?”
Zeil was surprised, “Wh- but… how did you know I was a?”
Kante giggled, “Nothing gets past Lady Zera, the Oracle of Zebrica. She sees all and knows all.”
Zera nodded, “To an extent yes. But please answer my question.” She spoke with seriousness in her tone, “Do you truly love her… or are you a changeling to your core.”
Somewhat intimidated by her seemingly threatening tone, Zeil replied, “I love her… and I will give anything and everything to see that I get back to her as soon as I can. But only after I learn magic from Chief Basarum.”
The oracle smiled “Good… then I wish you luck in your quest.”
Zeil was confused, “Quest?”
The oracle trotted passed Zeil and stepped on the first step to go up the temple as she replied, “Yes, the quest to convince my husband to teach you. By the way… every day when the sun is at its highest, we meditate together in the blood rose field on the eastern side of the village. Though the place is forbidden to most of the tribe, you may still meet him on the trail leading to the temple from there. My husband always sees to his duties right after his meditation so you are guaranteed to see him there… just a hint.”
Zeil gave the mare a confused look, “A hint?”

The oracle turned completely to him, “Well of course, my husband has a bad taste for outsiders but the only thing worse than his hatred, is his lack of patients. He won't do anything to you since he is bound by tribal tradition to pay back its debt but, you may be able to whittle him down enough to get your request. In time.”
The mare turned back to the steps and trotted up them as she spoked playfully, “May good fortune smile on you and this task, I know I will.”
With nothing more to say, the oracle continued up the stairs towards the top of the temple as a warrior zebra approached and handed Zeil his saddle bag, “Your things outsider.”
Disregarding the mare’s words Zeil took his saddlebag and started putting it on, as Kante smiled and spoke, “Wow, known by both Sister Zecora and Lady Zera, you are much more special than I thought.”
Zeil looked up the temple steps at the leaving oracle as he replied, “Funny… doesn’t make me feel very special. Then again, I'm no stranger of being liked by some and hated by the rest.”

Up at the top of the temple, Chief Basarum was watching Zeil from atop the steps as his wife finished climbing the stairs before turning and sitting beside him as they both watched Zeil put on his saddlebag and begin trotting into the village with Kante by his side. As they watched, the oracle spoke, “Such an interesting outsider… one wonders what his true goal is.”
Chief Basarum replied, “You took your time observing him… was he hiding his future from you? Or were you just flirting with him?”
The mare smiled in a joking manner, “Who me? Why do you ask? Is my husband Jealous of the young handsome stranger?”
Chief Basarum smiled back as he replied, “I would be if I didn’t trust you… and if his young handsome face wasn’t so fake.” his smile faded, “That said… I don’t trust him. Something about him seems… convenient.”

The mare smiled as she replied, “I like him… he seems trustworthy enough. Especially since he was able to woe Zecora’s heart.”
Ignoring the comment, Chief Basarum replied, “Don’t get involved with him. I can't put my hoof on it, but I'm not so sure his arrival here is a good omen. He may have saved Kante’s life, but that seems too coincidental to hold good fortune.”
The oracle nodded, “Nothing is coincidental… it’s all a matter of fate following its course.”
Not trusting her expression Chief Basarum looked to his wife and spoke, “What are you scheming? When you looked into his future, what did you see?”
The mare smiled as she turned to trot into the temple, “Nothing… nothing at all.”
Chief Basarum was curious, “Nothing? Is that so, or would you rather hide it from me and let me find out on my own?”
She smiled, “The bigger question is, if I did know and told you, would it change? Or would his fate be solely dependent on me telling you in the first place?”
Basarum didn’t reply, instead he just gave his wife a hopeless look as she smiled and replied while leaving, “Don’t think too hard on it husband, you know as well as I that, that is a question that even I can’t answer.”

Back in the village Kante led Zeil through the village as she pointed out huts and spoke, “That is the farming hut, where we collect and stow our food, and over there is the fishing hut. We don’t eat fish, but we use it to trade with other tribes for items we can't make. Over there is a weaving hut, we make clothing there using cotton traded from other tirbes.”
As they continued, every zebra in the tribe gave Zeil a curious or untrusting look as he ignored them and replied, “It’s impressive to see this place working like clockwork.”
The filly gave him a confused look, “Clock… work?”
Seeing she didn’t understand Zeil replied, “I mean it seems every zebra here plays their part in supporting the tribe.”
Kante nodded, “Yes, each zebra has a place for them as by their placement mark. The warriors protect the tribe, the herbalist mix herbs into potions, the foragers gather food and other things from the savannah. We all have our place… and soon I will too.”
As they trotted Zeil looked at the filly’s flank as he nodded, “So you don’t have your placement mark yet?” remembering a few books from Equestria, Zeil continued, “So, when do you have your first placement trial?”
The filly smiled, “You know of the trials? You are smart, my first trial is next year, but I do not need a trial to know what I am.” She patted her chest with her hoof as she spoke proudly, “I am a warrior. Just as my mother and father before me. It is my fate and soon I will have a mark to prove it.”

Zeil smiled as he replied, “Well seeing how you held your composure during the incident earlier, really shows how great of a warrior you will be.”
The Filly replied, “I do not know what composure means but it sounds like praise so I will accept it.”
Zeil smiled at the filly’s pride, until Kante turned to him and continued, “And with your help I will be even stronger.”
Zeil was confused, “Really? How so?”
Kante replied, “You can teach me.”
Zeil paused, “Wait… what?”
Kante nodded as she replied, “I saw it when you stood against the leopards. At first I thought you were a… what is the word? Lunatic? Jumping into an unwinnable fight without a leopard pride.”
Zeil rubbed the back of his head in embarrassment as he replied, “Yea… I guess I did, didn’t I?”
Not realizing that’s exactly what he did, Kante continued, “But when you readied yourself for a fight, you knew immediately who the leader was and kept your eyes on him. Then the leader saw you as the better and fled without even testing you. Why else would they run away like they did?”

Since he himself didn’t know for sure why the leopards withdrew, Zeil nodded while playing it off, “Well… maybe. It’s possible they were unsure of me and didn’t want to take the risk. I mean I am new to this region so any creature will be cautious of strangers.”
Kante nodded as she continued trotting through the village, “Whatever the reason, I think you can help me train. Since the chief refuses to teach me, and he told the rest of the tribe to do the same. I’ve had to learn all on my own.”
Zeil was surprised, “He told the rest of the tribe to not teach you? What about your parents?”
The filly’s expression sank as she replied, “I have none… Mother died during my birth and… father passed during the Kiwinda a few years ago.”
Zeil was surprised, “Kiwi… what?”
Kante replied, “Kiwinda, it means the hunt. It’s a competition we hold once a year with the outer tribes. It’s an honorable competition, but… the outer tribe’s buffalo are powerful creatures. Occasionally some are injured… and others even killed. The next one should be in a few days.”
Zeil nodded, “I'm sorry for you loss, so… who do you live with?”
Kante replied, “I live alone.”
Zeil was surprise, “Alone? How old are you?”
The filly gave him an annoyed look, “I am ten years of age, but I fight as if I were an adult. My father’s blood runs through my veins, so I can protect myself like any warrior.”

Zeil paused as he replied, “Wait, I didn’t mean any offence, it’s just odd to see one so young fending for herself.”
Kante replied, “True I was not alone completely, Chief Basarum looks after me from time to time and the rest of the tribe bring me food when I need it. After all as long as you provide for the tribe, the tribe provides for you. It is how we do things here.”
Zeil smiled, “I guess that means I have to pull my weight around here. I'm still going to try to convince the chief to teach me magic, but I don’t want to be dead weight for the tribe.”
Kante gave him another confused look, “Dead weight… that sounds like a strange thing to say, you may need to teach me more about your language.”
Zeil could only smiled, “Don’t worry, I can teach you all you need to know about my language, after all I'm not going anywhere, not till I get what I came for.”

PreviousChapters Next