• Published 2nd Dec 2018
  • 1,878 Views, 229 Comments

Love's Lost Decade - Priceless911



Zeil, a changeling in love sets out on an incredible 10 year journey. Crossing blistering deserts, Frozen Mountain, treacherous forests, and unbelievable dangers. But is his journey merely an accident or was he fated to find what lies within him.

  • ...
3
 229
 1,878

PreviousChapters Next
Bk5/Ch1 A Familiar Scenario

Book 5/Chapter1
A Familiar Scenario
Year 03, Month 05, Day 12

In the center of a large majestic city sat a tall marble white castle that over looked the kingdom. Outside the master bedchambers to this very castle, stood two royal guards wearing magenta colored armor. As they stood guard, another a soldier with a white coat and brown mane approached wearing dark Raven armor as the two guards straitened their stance as one spoke, “Good morning Captain.”
The unicorn captain replied, “As you were… anything to report?”
The solders shook his head, “No sir. The night was uneventful as usual.”
The captain replied with a serious tone, “Don’t let that drop your guard for the next shift… the princess’s safety is always priority.”
The soldier nodded, “Of course sir, I would never.”

The captain looked at both soldiers and spoke, “You are relieved, go get your rest and report tonight same time.”
The soldiers saluted their leader as they replied, “Yes Sir.”
With that, the two soldiers left their post as the captain adjusted his armor before slowly opening the door and entering the bedchambers. When he was in the dark room the captain casually trotted to the side of the bed as he used his unicorn magic to open the balcony window curtains from where he was standing. As soon as the curtains opened, the sunlight shined into the room as the mare in the bed rolled over trying to ignore the light that just shined in. Seeing that the princess was awake, the captain spoke, “Princess Blossom… Its time to wake for your daily duties.”
The princess covered herself with the blanket as she replied with her voice being muffled, “Please… Five more minutes…”
the captain smiled, “I assumed you would say that your majesty… that’s why I chose to wake you ten minutes late.”

When she heard that, the princess uncovered her face as she asked, “Ten minutes?...”
The soldier nodded, “Yes your majesty… the current time is eight ten A.M.”
Hearing his words, the princess sighed as she sat up in the bed before stretching her hooves. The Unicorn princess was beautiful with a cyan blue coat and a sea green mane that was long and at this time, frizzled from her recent sleep. As she stretched, she spoke with sarcasm, “Captain Rainier… how do I expect to be a responsible princess if you insist on keeping me irresponsible?”
Reiner replied with a smile, “You can always blame it on me your majesty.”
The princess smiled at his reply as she spoke in a joking manner, “That wouldn’t be fair to you, now would it?”
As she said that, the princess climbed out of the bed and trotted to her bureau.

As the princess looked at herself in the mirror she sighed as she turned her head to look at her messed up mane, “Oh… if the kingdom saw me like this… it would be a horrible uprising to dethrone such a mess.”
Smiling at her joke, the captain used his magic to hand her a brush as he replied, “Most messes can be cleaned your majesty, but some, are perfect no matter how bad they get.”
The princess smiled at his words as she took her brush and started brushing her mane as she asked, “Is there anything on the schedule for today?”
The captain replied, “Actually, today your schedule is clear. Tomorrow you have a number of appointments to see to, but right now, you are free to do as you please.”
The princess hesitated for a second, then spoke, “It’s spring… Captain… have the cherry blossoms bloomed yet?”
The captain’s tone seemed to be less enthusiastic as he replied, “I sent a soldier to check this morning… he informed me that they are.”
Hearing is tone, the princess replied, “I see… would you mind if we were to go see them? Though its difficult for me to enjoy, I still love to see the cherry blossoms in bloom. It’s always so… soothing.”

With little change in his tone, Rainier nodded, “Of course your majesty… it would be my pleasure to escort you today.”
The princess finished brushing her mane as she laid the brush down and spoke cautiously, “Rainier… may I ask, why… do you dislike the spring?”
The soldier was confused, “What? What are yo-“
The princess turned to him, “I notice… that every year when we bring up the subject… you seem so… distant… unhappy even. Is… there something about it that you dislike?”
The princess stared at him with sincerity as he had a hard time replaying, “W-well… it’s um…”
“Is it because I burden you so?”
Reiner gave her a serious look, “No… it has nothing to do with you, specifically… it’s just… complicated… I uh…”
Seeing his difficulty, the princess replied, “If the reason is personal… then you don’t have to tell me… I was just concerned, and… I would like to help you through it if I could.”
The guard blushed at her offer as he replied, “I’m sorry your majesty… it’s a little too personal to be helped. But… I appreciate it all the same.”
She gave him a pleased smile as she replied, “Of course… what are friends for?”

After saying that, the princess trotted passed her guard as he mumbled quietly to himself, “Friend… sure I am.”
She paused, “Did you say something?”
He shook his head as he replied, “No your majesty… I didn’t say anything.”
The princess preceded to put on her crown as she spoke, “Since our schedule is clear, we should take the city route towards the orchards. I haven’t seen my subjects since I ordered the destruction of my mother’s statues. I would like to see how they are faring.”
The captain smiled, “Of course your majesty, I'll see that a carriage is prepared at once. Your subjects will be thrilled to see their princess amongst them. As they always are.”

Down in the city, Zeil was making his way through the streets as a royal guard stopped him, “You there… stop.”
Zeil paused as he replied, “Yes? Can I help you?”
The guard gave him a curious look as he spoke, “You’re a zebra right? We don’t see any of your kind here? What business do you have in Spring Haven?”
Zeil replied respectfully, “I’m just a traveler passing through. Once I resupply I'll be on my way.”
The guard gave him an untrusting look, “Really?... where are you going?”
Zeil replied without hesitation, “Equestria.”
“Where are you from?”
“The Kingdom of the Black Sand”
“How long have you been traveling?”
“Over three years.”
Hearing Zeil answer each question without hesitation convinced the guard that he wasn’t up to any misdeed as the guard nodded, “Alright… then be on your way. Just don’t cause any trouble.”
Zeil smiled as he nodded, “I won’t… thank you.”

With that the guards turned away and started trotting down the road as Zeil sighed, “Good thing that didn’t escalate… since Cunningham’s potions don’t work anymore, I’ll need to keep my anger in check.”
With that said, Zeil began making his way through the city as he looked at the scenery. This city was similar to Canterlot in many ways, only while Canterlot’s colors were themed around gold and white, this kingdom was centering its colors on pink, purple, and magenta, all colors of spring flowers, hence its name Spring Haven. As he continued through the city, he had a hard time understanding how the streets were laid out as he tried to locate the main shopping district. As he looked around he soon found himself in the right area, but he still had to pass through a few narrow alleys to arrive on the street he was looking for. While continuing though the alley, Zeil started feeling the aura of a following earth pony. At first he simply ignored it, but as he crossed through more alleys, the one became two, then three, then four. Finally as Zeil felt the fifth and final addition to the group he turned around and spoke to the group behind him, “Something tells me that you aren’t here to welcome me to the city… so you might want to explain yourself.”

The leader of the group stepped forward as he smiled, “Well, look at this checkerboard… been here less then a few hours and now sees himself as the king of the castle doesn’t he?”
The rest of the group chuckled before letting the lead stallion continue, “You found yourself a long way from home buddy… but don’t worry, if you give us whatever you got in that bag of yours, we can give you directions to a place where you belong… be that anywhere other than here.”
Zeil started to get angry, not for the threat, but because he knew that the insult the pony gave him was actually a racial slur to all zebra. Trying to keep himself calm, Zeil replied, “Say what you want… but I don’t intent on fighting any of you.”
The Stallion smiled, “Then you’ll handover the bag willingly?”
Zeil shook his head, “I didn’t say that… I just warned you that if you don’t back off… you might get hurt.”

The group of ponies laugh at Zeil as the leader spoke, “Well… I'd like to see you try… Checkerboard.”
As soon as that was said, Zeil darted forward without warning as he quickly closed the distance between him and the gang leader. With his actions too fast to react, zeil approached the lead pony and punched him as hard as he could as the unexpected attack threw the leader to the ground leaving the rest of his gang in stunned silence. After the assaulted pony hit the ground Zeil looked down at him as he smiled, “What’s wrong? Didn’t expect a zebra to punch so hard? Oh by the way… I’m lower than a zebra… I’m a changeling.”
With that said, Zeil changed his appearance into a changeling, only to add insult, he changed into his former parasitic changeling form as he smiled as looked through the holes in his cobalt hoof as he mumbled, “Didn’t know I could do this… not that I miss this form or anything.”
Angry, the bandit leader picked himself up from the ground as he wiped away the blood on his chin as he spoke, “Changeling… Zebra… either way… you’re dead. GET HIM!”
With that call, the gathered gang of ponies charged at Zeil as he quickly changed back into his zebra form and readied himself for a fight.

Moments ago, on the street not far from the alley, the princess sat in her open top carriage as her guards followed on hoof as her small caravan rolled casually down the street. With every citizen they passed, the subjects bowed in respect as the princess smiled peacefully at the curtesy of each subject. As they continued, Princess Blossom looked to Reiner who was trotting beside the carriage as she spoke, Captain… must you follow by hoof? As my protector… surely you are privileged enough to ride with me?”
Reiner smiled as he replied, “You humble me with your kindness your majesty, but if I’m not ready to react to any possible outcome, then what purpose would I have as your protector?”
The princess smiled at his loyalty, “If that is your decision then I shall respect it. As always… I feel safe so long as you are near.”

Back in the alley, Zeil watched as one of the charging ponies wielded an iron bar as he swung at Zeil horizontally as disguised changling ducked down under the bar before swinging upwards as he hit the attacking pony in his jaw leaving the armed pony to drop his weapon as the iron bar was thrown in the direction of his swing hitting the ground and then the wall leaving the metal on stone chime to echo down the alleyway. Back on the street, the echo of the metal bar could be heard by the passing carriage as Princess Blossom heard the sound and spoke, “Drivers please stop?”
The two stallions pulling the carriage stopped as Princess Blossom looked to the nearest alley as she spoke, “Captain? Did you hear that?”
Reiner nodded, “I did… Guards, on me…”

As Reiner started trotting towards the alley, Princess Blossom stepped out of her carriage as she spoke, “I’m going with you.”
Reiner shook his head, “It would be best if you stayed here your majesty. You would be much safer in the carriage.”
Princess Blossom shook her head as she replied, “I would be much safer by your side. After all, that sound could be a subject in need of assistance. Unlike my mother, I am always willing to help my subjects?”
Though he still objected to the decision, the loyal soldier nodded his head as he replied, “Then… at least stand behind me… I won’t be able to forgive myself if something goes wrong.”
Agreeing with the decision, the princess nodded as she followed Reiner into the alley to investigate the noise.

Back in the ally, the stunned pony fell to the ground as a second pony charged at Zeil and tried to punch his face. Seeing the attacker’s plan, Zeil raised his right hoof to block the attack however as he did he didn’t notice that the leader had already gotten back up as he charged at Zeil from behind as he wrapped his hooves around Zeil’s neck and pulled his head back leaving his guard to fail as the attacking pony punched Zeil on his face as the leader released him allowing Zeil to fall to the ground from the impact. Stunned and now wounded, Zeil started to pick himself up from the ground as the leader and his group trotted around him laughing at their accomplishment. Seeing that they won the lead pony spoke, “See that colts? Just what I'd expect from a checkerboard, or whatever he claims to be… Pick him up.”
With that instruction, the group of ponies picked up the stunned changeling and pinned him against the wall as the leader looked at him and smiled, “Still got something to say?”
Zeil looked at the pony in anger but as he opened his mouth to speak, the lead pony punched him in his gut and preventing him from speaking. Next the gang leader punched Zeil in his face two more times then let Zeil in his weaken state to let his head hang as the rest of the herd held him up as the leader spoke, “Well… I think it’s time to end this… but remember what I said… your dead.”

With his intentions clear, the lead pony trotted to the metal bar and picked the weapon up before trotting back to the pinned changeling. As the lead pony readied his swing he smiled, “Well this is just too ea-”
“YOU THERE! STOP!!!”
As that was said, the leader of the gang looked down the alley as he saw Captain Reiner, Princess Blossom and a number of guards standing there as he and the gang of muggers hesitated. Taking the opportunity, Zeil’s anger took hold as he jerked his shoulder forward as the pony holding that side of his body was pulled closer to his face. With one of his restraining ponies close enough, Zeil flung his head towards the surprised pony as he bashed his forehead against the muggers face causing him to release Zeil as the the less constricted changeling used his now free hoof to swing around and punch the other pony in his face as hard as he could.

With his hooves free, Zeil turned his attention to the armed leader in front of him as he preceded to plant his right hoof on the ground befor swing his body around kicking the lead pony in the side of his face with his hind hooves causing both the bandit and his weapon to fall to the ground. Seeing their boss down and the guards approaching, the remaining group of thugs decided to cut their losses as they fled down the alley as Reiner gave his guards an order, “After them! Don’t let them escape!”
With that order, the guards around him preceded to separate as some rushed to catch the fleeing muggers, leaving the rest to subdue the ponies who were stunned from Zeil’s attacks. As one guard tried to restrain Zeil, the princess spoke, “Release him… it’s obvious that he is the victim in all this.”
Doing as they were told the guard let go of Zeil as Princess Blossom smiled and spoke, “Are you alright?”
Still angry, Zeil replied as he wiped the blood from both his mouth and nose, “I’ve been better.”
Seeing that he was fine, the princess and Reiner approached the leader of the thieves as she looked down at her retrained subject and spoke, “What is the meaning of this?”

Ashamed, the thief held his silence as Reiner spoke, “A mugging gone wrong… and assault. That’s all we need to know.” he looked at his guards, “Take him away… a month in the dungeon is suitable for a thief like him.”
Princess Blossom spoke up, “Now now Captain, first let me speak with him.”
With that said, Princess Blossom approached the restrained pony as she looked down at the thief’s face. As she looked over her captive, Zeil realized something strange. The pony wasn’t holding his sadden expression out of anger, shame, or self-pity. His expression was one of nervous fear. Seeing this, the princess reached down and raised his chin so that she could look him in the eye, however as she touched his chin, the terrified stallion quickly turned his head away in a flinching gesture as if she were trying to strike him against his face. Seeing this the princess spoke, “Could it be… that my mother has punished you before?”
Clinching his eyes shut in fear, the nervous stallion continued to look away as the princess continued, “Tell me… what did she take from you?...”

The scared stallion continued to look away in fear as the princess replied too softly for Zeil to hear her clearly, “Slavery?... Torture?... Or… your family?”
With that said, the fearful stallion continued to look away as he opened his eyes signaling his answer as she nodded, “I see… So… she took too much then… didn’t she?”
The stallion still held his silence as the princess stood tall and spoke, “Captain Reiner?”
Reiner nodded, “Yes your majesty?”
The princess replied, “For his crimes, I hereby order this stallion’s punishment to be three days in the dungeon, without torture. And not a second more.”

Zeil spoke up in complete shock, “You’ve got to be kidding me?”
Reiner replied, “What was that?”
Zeil replied, “Seriously? He tried to kill me and all he gets is three measly days In a dungeon. You call that justice?”
Reiner started to speak but knowing his words would have been disrespectful, the princess interrupted, “Due to the circumstances, Three days is fair. Under my mother’s rule the punishment would have been more severe but I don’t intent to rule this kingdom like my mother before me.”
Zeil’s anger took hold as he replied, “So rather than show strength you show weakness? Maybe you should be more like your mother! Then your kingdom would have less crime attacking innocent travelers.”
Reiner became furious as he started towards Zeil, “You dare to commit treason before the Princess?”
Before Zeil could reply, Princess Blossom stopped him, “Reiner wait… It’s obvious, he is a stranger in this kingdom. So for the time being, I will overlook his ignorance… however.” She looked Zeil in the eye as she spoke with serious tone, “I may not be like my mother… but if you truly knew the type of mare she was… then neither of you would trot away from here with your lives.”

With nothing more to say on the subject, the princess turned away towards her carriage as she spoke, “Come Captain…” As the princess turned to go back to her carriage, Zeil felt a strong shift in her emotions that felt familiar as he spoke up, “Wait…”
Princess Blossom paused as she looked back at Zeil one last time, “If you still object that I’m not like my mother… then I'll respect your words, but note… that it’s only your opinion. I won’t be my mother… ever.”
As the princess looked back at Zeil, He could see a glint in her eye that confirmed her change in emotions as he could only nod, “Sure… But I stand by my opinion.”
The princess didn’t want to reply to his statement as she turned away and continued trotting to her carriage.

With the princess choosing to drop the subject, Reiner spoke before turning to the carriage, “Welcome to Spring Haven Mr. Zebra.”
With nothing more to say, the princess and her captain returned to their transportation as she stepped onto the carriage and spoke, “Drivers… let us return to the castle. Suddenly, I’m not in the mood to see the cherry blossoms.”
The two stallions connected to the carriage nodded as they started trotting down the road with Captain Reiner trotting beside the carriage as he always does. Zeil trotted alongside the guards that were hauling the captive stallion away until they were back in the main streets, However as he stepped out of the alley, Zeil became overwhelmed by the aura of anger and distain he was feeling from the surrounding ponies who not only witnessed the event in the alley, but actually heard the disrespect that Zeil had shown the princess.

Knowing that he wasn’t in good company, Zeil’s anger continued to act on its own as he yelled, “What?... got a problem?”
Worried that the stranger could be dangerous, the herd slowly disbanded as Zeil looked back to the departing carriage as he mumbled, “Let them talk… If I saw in her eyes was I think I saw… then this kingdom is in trouble. So… first thing is first, I need some ingredients for a spell. Then, I need to find who, or what is responsible.”
With that said Zeil trotted down the road as he made his way towards any shop that could carry what he needed. Sadly, as the day progressed, his luck didn’t improve as news of his confrontation with Princess Blossom seemed to had spread throughout the city. Because of this, Zeil found that every business he had gone to, to buy the ingredients he needed knew of him and refused to sell him anything. And not just magic shops, Grocery stores, markets, even restaurants refused to serve him. Dealing with this, Zeil was unable to attain anything that he had intended on getting when he arrived in the city, but with no map to determine the next closest city or even a way to attain a map, it was impossible for him to know if he would make it with his current supplies.

With all attempts at buying anything failing, the day soon turned to evening as Zeil decided it was time to find an inn to stay at, however this too seemed to be difficult as he was turned away from all of them. Finally he reached the very last inn in the city as he entered and approached the counter as the inn keeper looked at him and smiled, “Welcome t- oh…” His smiled faded, “You’re that Zebra everypony is talking about… right.”
Zeil started to reply but before he could, the inn keeper put his hoof up to silence him, “Sorry… no vacancy.”
Zeil sighed, “Seriously? The sign outside says you have rooms available. The earthpony replied, “We do… but not for those who disrespect the princess.”
Zeil asked, “Why?... give me a reason why you and everypony else in this city keep turning me away? Is it because I’m a zebra?”

The inn keeper gave him an annoyed look as he replied, “The fact that you don’t know the reason is insulting enough… Leave now!”
Annoyed Zeil turned to the door, however as he started to open it, an elderly stallion approached him as he spoke, “Don’t blame the kingdom for their rudeness sir. The wounds of our queen are still fresh in their eyes. Queen Rose, was a spiteful and evil creature who cared not for her subjects, but only for her own power. If you want to know more… go to the central plaza in front of the royal palace, and gaze upon the statue there.”
Knowing that he could be shunned for speaking to Zeil, the elder stepped away as Zeil nodded to the advice and left the inn.

Not long after leaving the establishment, Zeil found his way to the very plaza he was told about as Zeil entered the large empty area and saw the remains of a large demolished statue. Curious Zeil approached the statue’s remains as he looked closely at what remained. Since all above the statue’s ankles was destroyed, Zeil couldn’t tell what once stood immortalized in stone, but below it on the very pedestal that the figure stood was a large piece of plywood with writing as it read, “The tyranny of the Blood Rose is no-more. Long Live the Blossom of Spring Haven, and rest easy, the tyrant’s victims.”
Below that writing held the names of hundreds of ponies, all of which were written in different hoof-writing as if it were written by their family members. As Zeil looked at the long list of names he mumbled, “Blood Rose… fitting nickname for a tyrant. I guess it’s too late to take my statement back then.”
Zeil looked around the area he was in as he saw an empty alley nearby, “Well… since I can’t stay at an inn, I might as well set up camp outside.”

Up in the princess’s bedchambers, the princess approached her vanity mirror as she looked at her reflection and sighed. Thou she didn’t say it, Zeil’s words continued to echo in her mind as they rang, “So rather than show strength you show weakness? Maybe you should be more like your mother!”
Trying to clear her thoughts, the princess used her magic to remove her crown and sit it next to the mirror as she preceded to use a brush to brush her mane. Though she watched herself in the mirror while brushing, she occasionally shifted her eyes to her crown and back as she continued to think about his words. Finally she couldn’t take it anymore as she laid the brush on the shelf as she spoke, “Captain Rainier?”

The bodyguard who was standing at his post next to the door the whole time replied, “Yes your majesty?”
She tried to word her question properly, “I’ve been thinking… about that zebra we met today, and… I was wondering. Am… I mean… would I be a better ruler… if… I were like my moth-”
Reiner interrupted, “Permission to speak freely your majesty… even if it may disrespect the royal family?”
Princess Blossom nodded, “Granted.”
Reiner continued, “Your mother was a heartless tyrant. She killed her own subject’s families for petty crimes and abandoned her kingdom when the Eden’s Kiss catastrophe was fast approaching. She earned her nickname as the Bloody Rose, and for that we, her very subjects, despised and hated her. When she perished to her own health, this kingdom took a sigh of relief. The tyrant was dead, and whoever could take over the kingdom couldn’t possibly be as bad as she. And… you… you are the best pony to take her place. Not because you too are royalty but because you are everything your mother was not. She was a tyrant in disguise. You are a blessing. She abused her power to hurt her subjects, while you strive to better their lives. You’re nothing like her, and that’s why your subjects love you so.”

The princess smiled in relief as she replied, “I’m glade… I was worried that the Zebra was speaking truthfully when he said I was too weak to rule.”
“He is not from this kingdom and ignorant to the strife we have endured. You should not listen to the words of a peasant like hi-”
the princess interrupted him, “Do not use that word… that word is an insult commonly used by my mother, and I will not listen to such words to describe any subject, weather he be of my kingdom or another.”
Surprised by her outburst, the soldiers nodded, “Apologies your majesty, but you do understand the point I’m getting to don’t you?”
The princess gave an empty smile as she nodded, “I do… and I thank you for speaking honestly.”
Reiner nodded, “In my most honest opinion, you are a much stronger ruler then he knows, and even if your mercy seems weak, it takes great strength to right such a wrong that your mother left behind. That and… I will always be here to lend my strength and support.”

The princess smiled at his words as she nodded, “Thank you Reiner, with you I do feel safe.” She looked at a clock, “It seems to be getting late so I should retire for the night.”
Reiner nodded, “Then I should see to my nightly duties. Till the morning your majesty, pleasant dreams.”
As Reiner left the room, Princess Blossom smiled, “Yes… good night my pr… I mean… Captain.”
Not catching her slip-of-the-tongue, Captain Reiner left the room and closed the door behind him as the princess sat down on her bed in deep though, “Why… why was about to call him that… and… why did it seem so… natural?”
Confused, the princess tried to lay down to sleep. However with both this thought and her previous issue troubling her mind, she was unable to sleep as she climbed out of the bed and trotted out onto the balcony to get some fresh air.

As the troubled princess tried to think, Princess Blossom looked down to see her loyal captain directing night guards in the castle courtyard as she mumbled, “A blessing am I?... if he knew what I did… I doubt he would say such nice words about me.”
She put her hoof on her face on her face in irritation, “As hurtful as the zebra’s words are… he wasn’t wrong. But if I let myself lose sight again… then I may hurt sompo…”
Before she could finish her thought, Princess Blossom heard some words echo from within the city as they spoke, “YOU THERE!”
Curious, the princess looked into the closest plaza as she saw two of her royal guards as they approached a hanging tarp that was stretched out in an alley to make a small homemade shelter. As the princess watched in curiosity, she could see a figure emerge from the alley as the figure approached the royal guards and started speaking to them. Though she was too far to hear the conversation in the city, she still watched in curiosity until she finally was able to identify the figure as Zeil.

Seeing the zebra that was on her mind, Princess Blossom decided to get a better look as the royal unicorn used her magic to teleport herself into the city close enough to hear them, but still far enough to not get their attention. As she listened in from the nearby shadows, Zeil was replying to the guards, “I know… But there isn’t really anywhere else for me to go.”
The lead guard replied, “There are plenty of inn in the ci…”
Before he could finish, the second guard tapped his shoulder, “Hey Serge… it’s him… the zebra that everypony is talking about.”
The lead guard nodded, “Ah… I see… It’s you, the one who insulted the princess.”
Zeil continued on subject, “No inn will accept me, so I had no choice but to set up in this alley for the night.”
The guards nodded as the subordinate replied, “What did you expect? With the way you insulted the princess, I’m surprised the rest of the city didn’t run you out of the kingdom.”
The lead guard spoke again, “You got to have some serious problems saying what you said.”

Zeil sighed in irritation as he replied, “Granted, I may have spoken without knowing anything about the former queen. But I stand by my words. If a leader shows too much weakness then it’s likely that she will be walked all over by other rulers. Or even worse she would be played as a puppet princess for any other authority figures of this or any kingdom.”
The Princess thought to herself as she mumbled, “He’s… he’s right.”
The lead guard continued, “Silence… You were warned not to cause trouble, and what did you do? Brawling in alleys, threatening the princess, and now trespassing. The first two were pardoned by the princess, but this time, she isn’t here to protect you. You’re coming with us.”
Before the guards could do anything, Princess Blossom stepped out of the darkness as she spoke, “Stand down Sergeant.”

As soon as the guards realized she was there, the soldiers bowed in respect as the princess approached, “I can handle this… go see to your duties.”
The guards replied, “Yes your majesty!”
Following their orders, the two guards left the site as the princess looked to Zeil as she spoke, “My apologies… it would seem that there is no end to the trouble I keep bringing you.”
Zeil shook his head, “Actually this time… I’m grateful for your help.”
Before more could be said the princess spoke, “Was… was it true… your previous statement I mean?”
Zeil nodded, “Yes… if you allow others to see your weakness, then it will bring problems your way.”

The princess shook her head, “I agree with that, but I’m talking about the other thing. The trouble with the residents of this city… is it true that no inn nor tavern will give you quarter in lieu of our previous discussion?”
Zeil nodded, “Yes… that and no place will allow me to buy supplies, otherwise I wouldn’t be in this city right now, I would be on my way to the next.”
The princess replied, “Oh? Just passing through then?”
Zeil nodded, “Yes, I’m on a journey to the kingdom of Equestria.”
The princess thought to herself, “I see… that is a long journey from here.”
Zeil replied, “That’s why I can’t waste any time.”

Princess Blossom nodded in agreement as she spoke, “Then… I must right my wrong.”
Zeil was confused, “Wh-what?”
Princess Blossom raised her head in a professional way as she spoke, “What is your name zebra?”
“Um, Zeil.”
She continued, “Well Mr. Zeil… permit me to give you quarter for the night. And… to apologies for today’s misunderstanding, I request your company in tomorrow’s tasks. I have a few errands that require my attendance tomorrow and with your company, the kingdom will see that you are not as bad as they assume and perhaps will allow you to purchase your supplies for your journey.”
Zeil was confused, “What?”
The princes looked down in self-pity as she replied, “You see… I’ve been thinking about your words earlier, and… though I wish to lead my kingdom in other methods as my mother… I understand that if I continue to show weakness. Then your theory of invasion can become a possibility, so… if you join me, then perhaps you can give me some advice on getting over my, meekness.”

She looked at Zeil with hopeful eyes, “Would you please join me tomorrow? I promise to insure your supplies in exchange for your company and advice.”
As the princess gave him a hopeful gaze, Zeil was able to see clearly a small glint in her eyes that ensured his previous theory. Knowing this meant her emotions could be at risk, Zeil replied, “Of course, It will be interesting to see your kingdom from your point of view.”
The princess smiled with joy, “Wonderful, then it’s settled, I'll have my ca…”
“You’re Majesty!”
Princess Blossom and Zeil looked towards the castle gate as they saw Reiner rushing up as he spoke, “Your majesty? I came as soon as I was informed that you were in the city. Why did you come out here without an escort?”
The princess realized as she spoked, “Oh… captain… I was… well… I saw that Mr. Zeil here was in trouble, so I had to act. Forgive me for leaving the castle without informing you, but I felt I had to step in before the situation became complicated.”

Though Reiner was annoyed to see Zeil again, he still stayed on subject as he replied, “I understand, and applaud your willingness to help, despite… who he is. But you must careful in the future, I cannot protect you if you choose to leave the castle without telling anypony.”
With that Princess Blossom nodded as she replied, “Yes… my mistake. I will be cautions should the situation arise again. In the meantime, could I request to clear a room in the tower? It would seem that Mr. Zeil has had trouble finding quarter in any inn due to the confrontation we experienced this morning. So… I felt it was proper to offer him a room and presence during tomorrow’s events in exchange for his troubles.”
Though it was obvious that he objected her decision, Reiner kept his comments to himself as he replied, “I can have the quartermaster arrange him a place to stay, but for now, let’s return to the castle. The city streets can have its dangers in the vastness of night.”
The princess smiled, “Of course, then let us return.”

With that said, the three, accompanied by two other guards, started trotting back into the castle with very little to say. As they reached the door to the princess’s room, the loyal soldier spoke, “I will see to our guest’s arrangement. I shall report as soon as he is settled.”
The princess smiled, “Thank you Reiner, I know I can count on you to see to his comfort.” She looked at Zeil, “I will see you in the morning Mr. Zeil.”
Zeil smiled, “Thank you your majesty, I will see you then.”
The princess nodded as she stepped into her room and closed the door behind her. With the princess now out of sight Reiner looked to the escorting guards as he gave a nod that was obviously a signal. After the signal was made the two guards nodded in reply as they silently turned away and started trotting in the opposite direction as Reiner spoke, “This way Mr. Zeil… Your room is the south tower, don’t worry it isn’t a dungeon or anything.”

Zeil nodded as he gestured to the hall, “Then lead the way captain.”
As they trotted down the corridor Zeil decided to cut to the chase as he spoke, “So… what is it you want to talk to me about?”
The captain Gave him a suspicious look, “What?”
“Well you relieved your soldiers after the princess was out of sight, so it’s only expected that you have some sort of bone to pick with me.”
Reiner nodded as he replied, “Since you want to get right in to it… I have a request.”
Zeil nodded, “Good…cuz I have a few questions, so I'll hear your request if you answer my questions.”
Reiner replied with a distrusting tone, “Agreed, but you will hear my request first. That way if you turn it down, I won’t have already answered your questions.”
Impressed with how careful the Captain was, Zeil nodded, “Deal… so what’s your request?”

Reiner spoke with a tone that showed he was serious, “I didn’t hear the princess and your conversation about her tasks for tomorrow, but if you are joining her then I’d assume it was by her request?”
Zeil felt he could predict what the guards request was as he nodded, “It is.”
Reiner nodded, “Then here is my request… Go with her… but please… try to be supportive.”
Zeil was surprised, he assumed Reiner would ask him to refuse her request, but rather then showing his surprise, he only replied, “Really?... That’s your request?”
Reiner gave him an angry look, “Look, Its fine if you’re not the type to be nice to anypony, but all I’m asking is that you at least be nice to her. The princess… she’s broken.”
Zeil was confused, “Broken?”
Reiner nodded as his tone started to sound somewhat depressed, “Princess Blossom didn’t live as happily as other princesses. After the king died, her mother blamed her and sort of shut her out. Most of her young life was spent locked in the castle with almost no interaction with the citizens in this kingdom. That, along with the way the queen ruled, created a deep distrust in the crown. It’s because of this… I’ve tried all I can to rebuild the loyalty between the princess and her subjects. And with the queen gone… It will be easier to do so. But… only if she has the confidence to believe it’s possible.”

Zeil nodded, “Alright… I'll play nice… but answer me this. What happened to the king and queen?”
Reiner replied, “The king died in battle almost twenty years ago. Before that, the kingdom was a happy place. Then after, the queen sank into depression and anger, which she happily pressed onto the innocent citizens of her kingdom. Torture, slavery, She even punished petty crimes with execution, and… if she didn’t punish you at all… she punished your family instead.”
Hearing his tone getting more depressed, Zeil replied, “Is that what happened to you?”
Reiner shook his head, “That’s not important, fact of the matter is she was a real monster. The kingdom was grateful to be rid of her.”
Zeil asked, “How did she die?”
Reiner replied, “Tuberculosis. She gained it when she evacuated the city during the Eden’s Kiss catastrophe. She left the princess behind as she took a hoof full of guards and fled to the mountains.”
Like most kingdoms… we didn’t last against that thing that attacked. But once we returned, the queen did too, only she was sick and almost bed ridden. Doctors were forced to treat her for almost two years before she finally passed away just last month. Funny, I thought there would be a big celebration commemorating her death, but instead. There was only a quiet day where her subjects were too afraid to do anything.”
Zeil was curious, “Afraid? Of what?”

Reiner replied with an unenthusiastic tone, “The princess… everypony knew how spiteful and evil the queen was, but since the princess was locked away from her subjects, nopony knew if they were better off with the queen dead, or worse. Luckily the princess gained a little bit of trust when she ordered every statue of her mother to be destroyed to honor the victims of her tyranny. Unfortunately though, the princess is a little… skittish. Being looked down on by her mother has kept her confidence low, and I’ve noticed she’s been a little more depressed lately. I think that if she gets the chance to spend time with others, she will come out of her shell.”
Zeil nodded, “Alright… I'll see what I can do.”
Reiner smiled, “Good… any other questions?”
Zeil smiled, “Just one… when do you plan on telling her how you feel?”

Reiner and Zeil were approaching the room that Zeil was staying in as Reiner blushed slightly as he replied, “Wh-what?”
Zeil replied, “I’m not a zebra, I’m a changeling. And one thing we know more than any is the feeling of love in the air. And you… are in love my friend… Badly.”
Reiner replied with an annoyed tone, “First off, that’s none of your business… and second… a changeling? What are you doing in Spring Haven?”
Zeil replied with a careless tone, “I’m only passing through. Though it’s been hard since no place will sell me the supplies I need to continue my journey. Everypony knows my face so… none will sell me supplies since I spoke to the princess like I did this morning. So I’m stuck here till I can find out how to get what I need to continue.”
Reiner gave Zeil a confused look, but then disregarded whatever he was thinking as he continued, “Okay… well… that aside, will you at least try to be nice to the princess tomorrow?”

Zeil smiled at the request as he replied, “I already told you I will… despite how the conversation this morning ended, She did help me out, and any other nation probably would have locked me up even knowing that I didn’t start that fight. So I’ll be nice.”
Reiner nodded, “Thanks… ya know… you’re not such a bad guy after all.”
Zeil nodded, “I’m still on the fence about you, but for now… you’re not so bad yourself.”
Reiner smiled, “I’ll take that as a compliment, so… you heard my request, any more questions before I leave you?”
Zeil nodded, “Maybe later, I still need to know more about this kingdom if I want to understand how to support the princess.

Reiner nodded, “Sure, we can discuss more tomorrow. Though I must inform the princess that you are a changeling, if she knows the truth at least she will trust you a little more.”
Zeil nodded, “I understand. For now anyways, I’m going to turn in. it’s late and I’ve been wondering the city all day.”
Reiner nodded, “Sure… But one more thing before I leave you. You say, no sales pony would sell you supplies because they knew your face… so… if you’re a changeling… why didn’t you just change into somepony else?”
At that moment, Zeil’s smile which was natural, seemed to freeze on his face in an awkward state as he replied with an extremely annoyed tone, “I’m going to bed…”
With that said, Zeil held his weird smile as he turned to the door, entered the room and closed it behind him. As the door closed, Reiner mumbled to himself, “Did… did he actually forget he could do that?”
In the room, Zeil tapped his head against the canopy bed’s post as he mumbled, “Oh I’m such an idiot… but that aside…” He sat down on the bed, “I was right… The princess in this kingdom is under the effects of a cures. I can’t say who caused it just yet, so I can’t say anything till I know more. If the princess is the puppet, then I can’t let the puppeteer know I’m onto him. Weather it’s her knight in shining armor, or someone else.”

PreviousChapters Next