• Published 6th Oct 2017
  • 2,520 Views, 819 Comments

Spring Broke - kudzuhaiku



Copperquick is broke, flat broke, but he's got seven free days.

  • ...
21
 819
 2,520

Chapter 14

In need of a break, Copperquick arose from the table and began to stretch his kinked up spine by arching it in a rather catlike manner. When his spine began to make the most alarming crackles, his ears rose, fell, rose again, and pivoted from the sounds. Wincing, he kicked out one leg and gave it a shake, only to regret having done so a moment later when he felt the pins and needles creeping up his hocks. It took a few moments to get both of his hind legs sorted out and it felt as though he was back in school.

There was so much more he needed to study, but he needed a break. One day of travel wasn’t exactly a vacation, and one of his five precious free days was already almost half gone. Five glorious days… turning his head, he watched as Buttermilk bathed and played with Esmeralda in the kitchen sink. Both looked happy. He cast a sidelong glance at his pile of schoolwork on the table and then focused once more on Buttermilk, who stood on two legs.

Esmeralda’s laughter was a precious sound.

Buttermilk wasn’t very tall standing up—she wasn’t very big at all—and she was just able to clear the edge of the counter where the sink was. After meeting her father, Mighty Midge, Copperquick knew that Buttermilk wouldn’t get any larger, and she would remain forever slight. She was small enough to be confused for a filly in her late teenage years, but she was a mare, no mistake. Just looking at her left Copperquick feeling aroused—and conflicted from that arousal.

Head low, he crept up on Buttermilk with mischief on his mind. Flirtation wasn’t enough, no, Copperquick wanted to make his intentions clear. He wanted her like he had wanted nopony else. After watching her churn butter, and watching her now as she played with his daughter, he was in quite a state. He wanted more than physicality, it was more than a need, more than an itch, more than a longing need to feel her from the inside and know her depths.

Earth ponies had their own way of showing affection.

When his cheek grazed the inside of her hind leg just above her hocks, Buttermilk squealed and giggled at the same time. It was, without a doubt, the most intimate flirtation he had engaged in, new territory was being explored, and Buttermilk danced from one hind hoof to another while he raised his muzzle, grazing the inside of her fuzzy thigh. For his efforts, she flicked him with her tail, trying to shoo fly him away. It was a calculated move and he came as close as he dared before pulling his head away.

Rearing up, he stood on his hind hooves and brought himself to his full height, towering over the diminutive mare that was his fancy. Reaching down, he grabbed her just below her wing sockets, lifted her, turned her around to face him, and then plopped her plush posteriour down upon the edge of the counter. Now, she was just about at the right height and he closed the distance between them. When he touched her, she trembled, and he could feel the insides of her fuzzy thighs pressing against his ribs.

“Dada!” Esmeralda cried and she splashed in the shallow water.

Wrapping his forelegs around her, Copperquick squeezed Buttermilk and then began to slide his left foreleg down her neck, past her withers, and along her spine, mindful of her wing on the side which his foreleg traveled. She was shaking, quaking, and her trembling body spilled out a flood of nervous giggles. Copperquick felt her forelegs slip around his neck and he took this as a yes, as an invitation, as a welcome. When he crushed her small, lithe body against him, he felt a warm, humid heat pressed against the small of his stomach.

“What are you doing, Copper?” she asked in a heated whisper.

“Trying to figure out how you got this turned on so fast,” he responded as he slid his body up and down against hers, which produced all kinds of crackling static. “I mean, I came over here, goosed you, and already there is quite a fire in the furnace.”

Closing her eyes, Buttermilk began giggling and she rubbed her neck against Copperquick’s. “You doofus, I was already turned on. I’ve been in quite a state for a while now—”

“Really?”

“I hate to break it to you Copper, but we mares aren’t so different.” While she spoke, Copperquick felt a brief nip against the soft, tender flesh of his neck, and his whole body spasmed in response to the painful, pleasurable sensation. “We don’t just wait around, doing our mare’s work, minding our own business in a shut off state. We don’t have switches that turn us on and off… though we do have a button. I woke up in the mood. I’ve been waking up in the mood.”

Now, as he began to knead the soft curve of her croup, he did not know what to say.

“A mare has always been a sex object for you, admit it,” Buttermilk demanded.

A hot flush consumed Copperquick’s cheeks, and he closed his eyes as his face burned. “Yes. But I’m trying to change.” He swayed against Buttermilk, moving up and down and side to side, and he could feel her rubbing her body against his in return. “I had a routine… offer dinner and a few drinks and keep chipping away until she said yes or didn’t push me away. I will confess, I thought that mares were something you had to turn on. I, uh, thought I was being the respectful nice guy sort by making the effort to turn them on rather than just having a go. Can we chalk it up to youthful stupidity and the fact that I never gave it much thought?”

“I don’t know…” Buttermilk stiffened in his embrace, going rigid, and for a moment, Copperquick thought there was going to be a problem. But then, she started laughing and returned his affections once more. “Copper, I’m a little stunned by just how stupid you were… how selfish and self-absorbed you were. How very primitive and disconnected your views about sex are—”

“Look, in my defense, when I was a colt back home, they didn’t teach us much about this subject in school. None of us colts wanted to hear about ‘conjugal duties’ or ‘marital congress’ or ‘coition’ or ‘coital obligations to the Crown.’ It was bloody embarrassing, and the fillies didn’t get much help on the subject either. ‘Just hold still, dearie, grit your teeth, and think of your duty to the Isles.’ I came here to Equestria and found a sexually liberated country and it was the best thing ever! A mare was willing to give up the goods without marriage and all I had to do was buy her food and a few drinks.”

“Oh, Copper… what am I to ever do with you?” Buttermilk asked, sighing out her words and rubbing little circles with one of her front hooves against the back of his neck. “Copper, Copper, Copper...”

“Dada!”

“Yes, Esme, Dada. Very good.” Buttermilk sighed—an exasperated sound—and continued to cling to Copperquick. “Esme, your Dada shows signs of being a working class twit—”

“Hey!” Copperquick cried out in protest and he gave Buttermilk a squeeze while his hoof continued to knead closer to her rump. When he opened his eyes, his gaze fell upon Esmeralda, who was sitting in the sink, looking up at him with bubbly glee. For some reason, she was always happiest when he was being close and affectionate with Buttermilk with her in close proximity, like now. “Miss Oddbody—”

“Copper, if you please, I thought we’ve moved past that.”

“I’ve had a couple of profound moments this morning. A few epiphanies, if you will.” After pulling the little mare in his embrace as close as was equinely possible, he rested his chin atop her head. “I love you, Buttermilk.”

“Keeping it simple, eh?” Though Copperquick did not see it, Buttermilk’s eyebrow arched beneath his jaw. “And I love you in return, though sometimes I find myself wondering why. Some of your behaviour… well… it was bad, but you are getting better, and I have no such plans to beat you up needlessly for past mistakes.”

“Thank you, Buttermilk.” He felt her ear twitch and quiver against his cheek; this gave him the shivers and he shuffled a bit on his hind hooves. Buttermilk’s hind legs were wrapped tight around him and this position allowed for quite the intimate embrace. There was a soft whinny from the mare he was holding and he reflected that it was a happy sound, a content sound.

“I need to get Esme out of the sink before she becomes a prune and she’ll probably be getting hungry soon,” Buttermilk said to Copperquick. “I like this, Copper, I do. You should come along and surprise me a little more often. This makes me feel good and I feel appreciated.”

“You are appreciated,” he replied as a new sense of worry took root and blossomed in the fertile field of his mind. “I would have never made it this far without you. You’ve made all of this possible—”

“I don’t think you give yourself enough credit.”

How could he respond to that? Rubbing his forelegs along her back and feeling the bumps of her spine, he thrilled in the warmth of her touch and what it did to him. Inhaling, he drew in her scent, she was buttery, but there was another familiar scent that drove him crazy. For a second, he thought about taking her right here on the counter, as they were in the perfect position for it, but this wasn’t a good time.

Instead, he did the most grown up thing that he could do in this situation: he pulled away. Right at once, cool air flooded against his stomach and made his muscles clench. Buttermilk clung to him, and when she let go there was lip-biting reluctance. He looked into her eyes and she into his and there was something new there, some spark that hadn’t existed a few seconds ago.

“Oi! Now what did you go and do that for!”

Gritting his teeth, Copperquick turned his head to the left and saw Butter Fudge peeking in through the window. The big mare was watching with great interest while nibbling on a wedge of cheese. Buttermilk, still sitting on the counter, covered her face with her hooves right away and let out a wailing cry of near-fatal embarrassment.

“And here I was, thinking that I might have me a nice grandfoal come about a year from now,” Butter Fudge said in a voice dripping with disappointment and annoyance. “This whole time, I was like, ‘will he or won’t he?’ and for a time, I started to think to myself, ‘why, self, I think he will!’ but all I got was my hopes dashed!”

“Moomy!” Buttermilk whined from behind her front hooves. “How could you?”

“Easy, Beezy. Same way I watch the goats do it,” Butter Fudge replied.

Dropping down to all fours, Copperquick took a deep breath, held it, and thought of the Isles. Closing his eyes, he couldn’t look at anypony right now, so he just stood there, listening to the sounds of Esme splashing and giggling in the sink. Loving Buttermilk meant having parents-in-law and all that went with that. It also meant that Esmeralda might have grandparents to spoil her.

“Oh come on, Beezy, it wasn’t like I was going to start offering advice or tell you what to do. I’m not rude. I would’ve been quiet and kept to myself.”

There was a splash when Buttermilk fell over into the deep sink filled with shallow water and then Esmeralda started laughing—not giggling, but laughing, a loud, boisterous sound that was quite unlike her usual rather quiet expressions of happiness. It made Copperquick open his eyes so he could have a look, and when he saw Buttermilk’s four legs stucking up in the air, he started to chuckle himself. As it turned out, the large farmhouse sink was big enough to hold both Esmeralda and Buttermilk. It was big enough to hold a whole peck or two of potatoes, no doubt.

“Oi, if you two wanted to slip off into the barn or upstairs, I could watch little Esme. I think she’d be okay with that. It’d give me a chance to get to know her. Let’s be honest, shall we? This little vacation is your best chance to have a go at one another and get completely knackered. You’ve got a foalsitter, you’ve got some free time, and trust me… I know how hard it is to have a good shag with a toddler around.”

“Moomy…”

“Beezy.”

“Moomy, I can’t even…”

“Oi, come off it.” Butter Fudge took an aggressive bite from her cheese wedge and grinned right at Copperquick. “Copper is right, you know. Equestria is sexually liberated. They don’t flog ponies here for fornication or publicly shame them. I was just floored when I came here and after I met your father, Mighty Midge, I found out that the whole, ‘just stand still and think of the Isles’ stuff wasn’t so bad—”

“Moomy!” Buttermilk’s whine was profoundly nasal in quality. “Just how long were you standing there?”

“Long enough.” The big mare took another bite of cheese and never once took her eyes off of Copperquick. “Who wants some lunch? I’m starving! I’ve worked up quite an appetite sitting here watching the three of you. I kept making funny faces at Esme and she kept giggling, but neither of you were paying her any attention.”

Cringing, Copperquick thought about all of the times he heard his daughter giggling…

Author's Note:

The cringe is real...