• Published 14th Jul 2012
  • 770 Views, 4 Comments

What Memories May Come - Saffron Panther



Freed from 500 years of slumber, an old friend of Celestia's reemerges to erase all of existence.

  • ...
 4
 770

Epilogue: Late Night in Legacy's Reach

“Gray Moon?”

The gray colt walks out of the house, plagued by a thought in the back of his mind. For years now, it’s been bugging him with questions. Like, “How can things still be meaningful after their deaths?” And “Why do you fall in love again after all that’s happened?” He ignores this thought as he has before. Nevertheless, he still worries. He’s seen Legacy’s Reach through the centuries, watching it emerge from the flood that ravaged the land, taking Morning Star with it. He winces when the memory resurfaces.

Lily-of-the-Valley watches her husband pace outside the house, kicking up clouds of dust along his way. He’s out there again, worried as usual. Taking to her hooves, she walks out the door and into the moonlight. Her pale whitish-purple fur glows. A brick and cobalt couple walk by, casting a few worried looks in her direction as she slowly approaches the gray colt.

Gray Moon sits, pensively staring in the direction of Canterlot, although Lily-of-the-Valley would not recognize it for more than simply meditating over the sight of a constellation. She carefully walks up next to her husband and nuzzles him. It takes a few seconds before he seems to even realize that she’s there.

“What’s wrong?” she asks.

Gray Moon’s ears fold back against his head. “Just thinking of things,” he answers. He doesn’t really want to describe what.

Lily-of-the-Valley stops and sits before him, taking her husband’s face in her front hooves. “What kind of things? I’m sorry to intrude, but I’m worried about you. I see you pacing every night. If there’s something I can do, please tell me.”

Gray Moon considers for a moment as he has on other nights. He mentally plays the scenario of walking back into the house and explaining about the past. His service to the Princess. His work in Canterlot. Coming to Legacy’s Reach under this guise. The true meaning of his cutie mark. Amber Mist. Morning Star. Sunny Ray. Or even going further, showing his wings and horn and true alicorn form. But what if she became angry because he hid all this from her? Or if she was afraid? Or if he would be exposed and taken back, having to leave all of this behind? He considers this before shaking his head.

Lily-of-the-Valley nuzzles him again. “You can tell me anything, Gray Moon.”

The gray colt nods. “That’s true. But I’m fine, Lily, I’m just fine.”

Suddenly, in her effort to lighten the mood, Lily-of-the-Valley runs along the path, darting ahead like some crazy filly at play. Gray Moon watches confused as his wife romps through the near field, laughing and rolling around on the grass. But after a few seconds, he runs after her, leaping into the field. Just as he lands hoof-first near her, Lily-of-the-Valley gets to her hooves and runs ahead. A grin forms on his face as he gives chase.

“Gotcha!” Gray Moon yells as he tackles Lily-of-the-Valley.

The two fall to the grass, laughing as Lily-of-the-Valley shifts under him and flips her husband onto his back. She stands above him triumphantly, pinning his front legs against the ground. The young couple blush a little at their intimacy.

“Gotcha,” Lily-of-the-Valley says, kissing Gray Moon between his eyes.

“Alright, Lily, you win,” Gray Moon can’t help but chuckle.

She releases Gray Moon’s front legs and brushes her front hooves against his chest before climbing off him. Lily-of-the-Valley gets on her back, stretching herself out next to him. Gray Moon nuzzles her and licks her cheek.

“Beautiful night, isn’t it?” she asks.

Gray Moon nods, resting his head against hers. For a moment, he thinks of Amber Mist, Morning Star, and Sunny Ray before her. It fills him with dread, wondering what might happen next with Lily-of-the-Valley. Would she succumb to illness too? Or was Legacy’s Reach due for another horrible flood?

The thoughts leave his mind as Lily-of-the-Valley rests her hoof on his chest and rubs. Breath catches up with him as his heartbeat slows to a nicer pace.

“Relax, Gray Moon,” she coos. “Just relax. Everything’s fine. And tomorrow will be fine.” She retracts her hoof and tilts her head towards the sky.

Tomorrow. Yeah, tomorrow.

“Yes, tomorrow will be fine,” Gray Moon repeats, joining his wife in a session of stargazing.

Comments ( 2 )

913483

I very much apologize for the extremely late reply. Heh, I didn't realize that when I was composing the idea. Nice to point out.

914012
I very much apologize for the late reply on this. I've been getting accustomed to this website over the past month and so on. Thank you for the advice. I will take it into consideration for future works.

Login or register to comment