• Published 2nd Aug 2017
  • 7,165 Views, 992 Comments

Evening Star Also Rises - Starscribe



Princess Luna is tired of living in her sister's shadow. She petitions Starswirl for help, and what she receives is far from what anypony expected. The real question is whether Equestria will survive her mistake.

  • ...
33
 992
 7,165

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 3: Star

Hayden’s search for a mirror paid dividends in very short order. The tower had a bathroom, though like everything else it was built to a medieval standard. That meant it was part of the same room as the bedroom, with a woven screen to separate it and nothing else. The rest of the facilities were… similarly primitive, betraying an underlying ignorance of sanitation and hygiene.

What I could do with a handful of general contractors and a trip to the Home Depot… but there were no general contractors here. There was no sign at all of anything human.

At least they still had mirrors. Unfortunately for Hayden, being in front of a mirror confirmed everything he had feared. To some extent he had been able to feel much of what he was seeing, but the body was so alien he hadn’t been able to reconcile what he was feeling with his suspicions. Now, though… Hayden’s imagination was satisfied in painful detail.

As if she had needed more reasons to curse Luna for this magic, and to wish for speedy return to her home. Denver wasn’t a perfect place to live, but it was better than the damn horse middle ages. Even the unexplained things she’d seen—the ability to change bodies completely, or float objects through the air, or transport between worlds. All those things were interesting, and would’ve changed her view of the universe forever.

If she had still been herself. If she’d still been herself, this might be an opportunity. Hayden hadn’t worked for a prestigious firm, she’d done grunt work designing civil buildings for the city and barely making enough to live on. What she knew about design might be able to make a real difference in a world where royalty didn’t even have running water.

But instead I’m this. Hopefully Luna can send me home like she promised.

She didn’t send Hayden home that day.

Luna did return in later afternoon, accompanied by another alien. This one was shorter than she was, though also more thickly built, and with a distinctly masculine smell to him. As though Hayden needed any more convincing that these creatures did use the standard mammalian model, and she was in fact now completely misplaced within that model.

The alien had pale fur and a mane that seemed white more as a matter of age than color. His body was a little shriveled in ways the others hadn’t been, suggesting far greater age. He had a horn like Luna did, but no wings. He walked with a slight limp with his right foreleg, though despite the many steps outside the door he had apparently made it up without issue.

“Ah, Hayden,” Luna said, hurrying across the room. “I hope you’ve been well in my absence. Haven’t tried to escape into the castle, that’s good. This will be better for both of us if you remain cooperative.”

Hayden was still in the bathroom, but she walked away from the tile to meet Luna in the center of the room, on the carpet. “Is this guy going to send me home?” she asked, nodding towards the stallion. “I’ll cooperate with anything you like if that’s what he’s here to do. I have work tomorrow, and I can’t miss it. Skyrise is really strict with their vacation days.”

“Return you home…” the male said, walking up beside Hayden and looking her over. “I see she speaks our language. And appears much like any other mare.” Hayden felt something tickle the edge of one of her wings, like a pair of invisible fingers gently pulling it open. She resisted the desire to jerk away, afraid that doing so might snap her weak bones.

The stranger extended the wing all the way, looking at her wings through the light streaming in from the window. “Well, almost like any other mare. Some of these mutations are entirely unique. Are you certain you weren’t trying to create them, Princess?”

“Entirely certain,” Luna said, her voice glum. “I was trying to summon a goetic demon, Star Swirl. Hayden here is clearly not that. She has her own identity, her own possessions, and apparently a culture and history—”

“Oh, I wouldn’t be so confident of that.” Whatever was holding Hayden’s wing finally let go, and she folded it quickly to her side.

“Excuse me—I’m right here. Please don’t talk about me like this is some laboratory experiment.” That silenced Star Swirl, who stared at her with an expression of mild surprise. “I have a home I want to go back to, whoever you are. A fam— a life, anyway. It wasn’t awesome, but it was mine, and I worked hard to have it. The sooner you can send me back where I belong, the better.”

“Hmm.” Star Swirl stared at her again. A faint glow emanated from the horn on his head, though this time Hayden didn’t feel anything but a general, diffuse warmth throughout her entire body. “I will admit, the mental faculties seem somewhat more advanced than other attempts I have studied. But… Hayden, you said? Other than her behavior and mental abilities, everything suggests the spell worked.”

“Excuse me?” Luna said, pointing at Hayden with one exaggerated hoof. “This isn’t what you described at all!”

The stallion bowed. “Forgive me princess, but this is exactly what I described. Tell me… aside from questioning this creature, have you examined her pattern?”

Luna blinked, looked back at Star Swirl, and then her horn began to glow as well. This time Hayden could feel it, like a low-level electric charge passing through her whole body. It was what she imagined airport x-ray scanners to be like, except of course there was no way to feel those. This, though…

Star Swirl must be her teacher. Her… magic teacher? If he’s better at this than she is.

“Oh.” Luna’s horn stopped glowing. “It did work? But… but her possessions! Her manner of speech… how is this possible?”

“Excuse me,” Hayden said again, a little louder this time. She spread her wings as she spoke, making herself look bigger. “Can someone please tell me what the hell you’re talking about? Is this ‘goetic demon’ a technique to send me home? Maybe a machine you’re hiding somewhere?”

They both stared at her. Luna seemed annoyed, but Star Swirl… he seemed to be seeing her for the first time. Or maybe this was just the first time he’d met her eyes. “You aren’t a person on your own, pony Hayden. Princess Luna wanted to create something… a piece of herself she could use to improve her own nature. It appears one of two things has taken place. Either she brought a being from another world and transformed you into her demon, or else the spell worked as intended and we do not know the internal worlds as well as we thought we did.”

“Is that possible, Star Swirl?” Luna asked, staring at Hayden again. “She’s so lifelike. So intelligent… and the objects she brought didn’t fade as you suggested they would.”

He shrugged. “It defies the rules of the Orinos as I understood them. But we have no record of this magic from the Alicorns. It is possible this effect is natural for you. Maybe Alicorn souls are more… real… than the rest of ours. Who can say?”

“I can,” Hayden said, stomping one hoof. “I am from a planet called Earth. My people are called humans—we walk on two legs, and we’re a damn sight more advanced than this.” She gestured at the building all around them. “You’ve kidnapped me. My world will not be happy about it when they discover I’m gone.” Of course, Hayden mostly meant that his boss would be pissed when he didn’t come into work tomorrow, then probably fire him when he failed to answer his phone. The police would be called, and eventually someone would find his car parked at the trailhead. Maybe they’d find the mountainside ripped right off the cliff. But even if they did, what would they do about it?

“Remember everything I told you about a demon, Princess. Like it or not, this being has become exactly what I described. She represents those aspects you wished to excise from within yourself. If she dies, they will be destroyed. If she is changed, you will change.”

Luna began to pace back and forth in front of her, expression getting darker by the moment. “Don’t her threats worry you, Star Swirl? How many creatures could stand before an Alicorn and say such things? Maybe she is telling the truth—maybe these ‘humans’ are terrible enemies. We should return her.”

“Perhaps.” Star Swirl shrugged one shoulder. “But remember, she is made of your power. Why should an Alicorn be afraid of her reflection? She is you, Princess. Your power, your soul, and whatever else you were dredging up.”

“Loneliness,” Luna whispered. “Alienation, social ineptitude, cowardice.”

“Hey!” Hayden strode right up to Star Swirl, so that she was looking up into his face. Male or not, taller or not, she wasn’t afraid. She’d fight her way out if that was the only option left to her. “I’m not asking whether you want to send me home. I’m telling you, send me home. Or I swear, you’ll live to regret it.”

Star Swirl laughed. “Social ineptitude, princess? Perhaps. But hardly cowardice. Clearly you weren’t as afraid as you thought.”

Luna sat down on her haunches, watching Hayden again. Her eyes had gone cold and calculating. Not the least bit intimidated by Hayden’s anger, or moved by her threats. “Suppose she is correct, Star Swirl. Can she be returned to her world? I must have done the spell wrong in that case… she could be from anywhere. How would we find it if her only sympathetic connections are to me?”

Star Swirl nodded towards the pile of junk. “She might be a part of you, Princess, but these objects are not. Their survival in this world means they come from a strong realm. If even one of them has a connection to another person, it could be followed back. Otherwise… a search of the multiverse would be doomed to fail. You might wander for a thousand years and never find her home. Even if you found it, time might not move at the same speed. Without a tether to another soul, you’ll never find your way there.”

“And if we don’t send her back,” Luna continued. “The purpose of the spell would still function as you discussed. Even though she’s… like this?”

Star Swirl nodded again. “It could, Princess.”

“Very well.” Luna rose again. There was something regal in her motion, something stern in her eyes. For a second, Hayden thought she might sense some of the power Luna had described. She didn’t just have a horn, she was unlike every other pony here. Star Swirl’s “magic” might be better, but they had nothing on this. “Human creature called Hayden, I have made my decision. You wish to be returned to your world. I wish for something else. You will help me, and in exchange, I will try to send you back. Assuming you are not merely a figment of my spirit, destined to be destroyed and absorbed when your independence is removed.”

Hayden opened her mouth to argue, then she saw Luna’s face. Alien or not, there was clearly no arguing with her. So, she nodded. “That is fair, Luna.”

Princess Luna,” she corrected. “While you are here, you will demonstrate proper respect to me in my own house. The others will not exempt you from our laws, so I must not.” She gestured to the wings. “Star Swirl, she looks like a monster. Do you have a spell for that?”

He laughed again, as jovial as he had before. “Forgive me Princess, but I have never encountered anyone quite like this.” Hayden felt a brief surge of intense pain from her head, and a few hairs from her mane came loose, drifting through the air towards Star Swirl. “There, now I have samples. It may take some time, however. Perhaps you should bring the master clothier. Or… perhaps a costumier. Were it not for her wings, she might pass for a pegasus. So long as she doesn’t smile.”

PreviousChapters Next