• Published 2nd Aug 2017
  • 7,150 Views, 992 Comments

Evening Star Also Rises - Starscribe



Princess Luna is tired of living in her sister's shadow. She petitions Starswirl for help, and what she receives is far from what anypony expected. The real question is whether Equestria will survive her mistake.

  • ...
33
 992
 7,150

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 39: Celestial

There had been casualties, it turned out. Without enough of the sword-proof armor to go around, her cannon crews wore only what most of Hayden’s soldiers wore: cloth uniforms. They had spent their resources on better weapons, not anything else. It was the best they could do.

Three of her ponies had been killed—though one of those was assumed, as a heroic earth pony named Bronze Bell had severed the cables holding in one of the guns, using it to dislodge the remaining griffons and save the rest of his crew. Unfortunately his leg had been tangled with one of the ropes, and he’d been yanked down with it. At least he had died well. There was blood on the floor when Hayden arrived, and the signs of battle everywhere. Maybe half a dozen of the crew had taken small wounds, but should be fighting fit by the time they took off again.

Little injuries did not make a pony less able to work cannons.

Honed Edge was already there, with Hayden’s heavy tool bag slung across his back. “What are we doing?” he asked, wandering through the empty room to stand in the gap left by the missing gun. “If you’re expecting us to make a replacement gun…”

“No.” Hayden pointed at where the door closed. The gasket had been torn, and the metal outside bent. It was just a few inches, but still impressive that any number of griffons could manage it using just their talons. “The airlock into the Excellus won’t open without a seal. We have to make that close again.”

“Hmmmm.” Honed Edge moved to the front of the cargo area, sticking his hoof near the floor where it settled. The hole was just about big enough for his hoof to pass through it. “We’ll have to open this to work on it. Good thing we’re facing away from the dock. Wouldn’t want ponies to get too good a look at this, eh?”

Hayden shrugged. “Plenty of them can fly anyway.” She pointed at the opening. “I figure we might be able to strip some of that flexible stuff from one of the interior airlocks. The ones on the converted crew cabins. Just… try not to use more than one door, if you can.”

“No promises.” Honed Edge removed a hammer from the bag, tossing the rest aside. Unlike the dexterity tools, this one had a strap to hold it onto a hoof, since force was required to use it effectively. “Don’t open the door yet, I’ll go out there and get this back into place as much as possible first. Then we’ll know how much of this stuff we need.” He prodded at the gasket with one hoof. “Celestia only knows what this even is. Stronger than leather, flexible like rope, and it holds air like glass.”

“Rubber,” Hayden answered. “Or… well, something like rubber. The kind we made would never have survived this long. It decays over time, and this stuff looks intact despite…” She didn’t actually know. “Well, a long time. Equestria could make the regular kind, though. Just not in time for it to be useful for us. Just salvage one of the other doors and try not to use more than you need.”

“You got it.” He saluted, vanishing down the hall.

Hayden occupied herself visiting the wounded next, waiting to get her message. She was not kept waiting long.

“She’s here, she’s here!” called a panicked officer’s voice over the radio. There was only one person “she” could possibly be referring to. The one person who Hayden’s guards could not possibly have kept back. There was none of the joy and relief that would’ve come from Luna… which meant this was the other.

Hayden nodded a quick farewell to the injured pony she was speaking with, darting to one of the computer panels on the wall. She selected the intercom system, then pressed hard. “Let her aboard with her guards, nopony else. Take her to the bridge.” There was no sense trying to keep Princess Celestia from the most vital systems. Princess Celestia was said to be more powerful than her sister. Her sister that Hayden had seen destroy an armored airship this size in a single spell.

Dammit, what the hell are you doing here? How’d you get here so fast? Celestia was the one variable she knew she couldn’t account for, the one she had hoped they wouldn’t have to deal with. She couldn’t be resisted martially, only through other means.

Hayden hurried up the hall, conscious all the time that Celestia was probably not far away. They were using the ramp on the rear of the ship for loading, which meant that the princess would be coming up from behind. Hayden reached the mostly-empty bridge. Empty except for a few officers huddled around the maps and the sonic rangefinder, along with communications. Hayden pointed to all of them except the one watching the cameras. “Get out. Princess Celestia is coming. Make sure the crew is ready to leave the second this meeting is over.”

She couldn’t be sure if it would even be possible to flee. Couldn’t know what Celestia planned to do to her. Maybe the princess would act like Diamond Glow, and just try to kill her. It wouldn’t be the first time she’d been the target of Celestia’s wrath.

Evening Star took several deep breaths. She settled in the captain’s chair, forcing herself to stare out the windows. Far away, she could see the Stonebeak army regrouping. They had pulled out of range of the city, but did not look like they were going to make a retreat. More like they were reconsidering their strategy, and maybe burying their dead.

The door behind her slid open with its characteristic hiss. “Princess Celestia,” announced Skylark from behind her.

Hayden rose, not because she thought this princess deserved her respect, but because she knew it was expected. She turned, lowered herself into a bow that was barely respectful enough to pass muster. Not half as deep as she would’ve given Luna.

Princess Celestia hardly seemed to notice the gesture. There were no guards with her—only the princess herself. She wore golden armor, a little like what Evening Star had seen from the military police. Like the police, if that same basic design had been taken to an armorer, along with hundreds of pounds of real gold. It was so heavy-looking that Hayden marveled she could even move. Yet the princess showed no strain at all as she made her way in, not even a slight slouch in her posture.

She looked to the officer Hayden had left in the room with her, gesturing out the door with a tiny nod. Unlike when Diamond Glow had tried ordering Hayden’s men, this pony rose and saluted stiffly, then hurried to obey without even glancing back at his general. They might resent Celestia for what she’d done to them, but that wasn’t the same as actively disobeying her. It was impossible to stand in a room with her and not feel her power.

Celestia stood still until the door automatically closed. As soon as it did, Hayden straightened from her bow, not waiting to be invited. She could not disrespect the princess in public, that would demand a punishment. But in private…

“You have no idea what you’ve done,” Princess Celestia said, completely unprompted. She strode through the pristine bridge, inspecting the various consoles and stations without invitation or permission.

“I know it didn’t look good for Seaddle. I destroyed the army that was about to ravage the city.”

Celestia acted like she hadn’t even heard her. “You should know…” She stopped, a few feet away. “It would have been better if you had returned with Star Swirl. Your captivity would have prevented all this. It would’ve been better if you were destroyed on your first day.”

Hayden shrugged one shoulder. “It would be better if the one ruling Equestria weren’t so willing to chop its limbs off and feed them to the wolves. Where I come from, we don’t act that way. We remove leaders who can’t protect people. Trading lives for safety is an unacceptable price.”

Princess Celestia actually laughed. “Your hypocrisy would be more amusing if I knew it weren’t costing Equestria so dearly.” She looked away, making her way forward and staring out at the screen. At the Stonebeak fleet, marshaling in the air far away. “You do the same thing every day. Every general must trade the lives of her soldiers in exchange for peace. Every soldier who enlists is making that same sacrifice. They realize that there is something more significant than themselves, and they are willing to die for it. The sacrifices I ask of Equestrians are no different. The difference is between us.”

The room got warmer, and the overhead lights seemed suddenly pale by comparison. “I know the danger we face is far greater than that.” She gestured with a wing out at the projection, dismissively. “The Stonebeaks are the cockroaches eating the scraps of a better age. Without crystal magic, their lands are inhospitable. Every year more of that magic fails, and more of them die. It was only a matter of time. The real enemy threatening Equestria is existential. When it rises, it will not enslave, it will devour. It will tear apart meaning, it will consume the soul. I have seen it. Carcosa’s fall shook the planet from its orbit. It destroyed the very foundations upon which our world spins.

“But Equestria has no army like that. Hunger and griffon aren’t such bad ways to go. At least the death of the north would’ve been quick. But now… now when they die they’ll do so knowing they’re damning their friends as they do. You can’t even imagine it. You may even be fighting for it. No agent has been as successful as you.”

Hayden tried to take all that in as best she could. Some of it made sense, anyway. Some of it she had suspected. “I know what you think. You think bats are an… infection. An incursion of Outsiders. You’re right.”

Celestia already had her mouth open to argue—she stopped, staring. Confusion, surprise. “So you admit it then. You intend to destroy Equestria, then tear creation apart.”

“No!” Hayden didn’t laugh, though she felt like she should have. “I was able to find the infection. Well… not me. An inventor named Avalon. He’s the one who gave us this ship. Your sister and I are working with him to try and cure it.” She raised a hoof. “If you’re about to tell us we can’t, you’re wrong. We already have. I had it worse than any other bat, and we removed it.”

“You can’t remove something from itself,” Celestia argued, her horn glowing faintly white. “You are nothing but an agent of the Outside. You used its tactics, its guile, to survive the Stonebeaks and hunger long enough to bring them down on us instead. And once we’re weakened, you will destroy us.”

Hayden growled in frustration. This was a complete waste of her time. Princess Celestia sounded like she had made up her mind weeks ago. Convincing her was impossible, probably.

So she reached, commanding by will what she had only ever done through instinct before. Hayden summoned Achelois, and held it before her in an invisible grip. Not actually aimed at the princess, but close enough that Celestia would see what it was. “If I was, could I hold this?”

Princess Celestia’s horn stopped glowing. Her mane stopped billowing, and her eyes widened. “No. You could not. How… how have you done this?”

“You’ll have to ask Avalon,” Hayden said, sheathing the sword. She ignored its whispers—it kept telling her about just how much Celestia was suffering. She couldn’t end that pain today. “He’s working on a way to do it for everyone. Some kind of… machine. I don’t know the specifics. Despite what that buffoon you sent said about us, we really don’t want Equestria to fall. Lots of ponies in Icefalls have friends and family here. We came to help. I like to think our actions so far speak for themselves. If we were monsters, would we have destroyed half their army for you?”

She gestured around her with both wings. “We’re just one ship, but we want to help. We represent the goodwill of Icefalls. We’re willing to fight for Equestria.”

Princess Celestia remained silent for a long time. When she finally spoke, it was with obvious reluctance, as though she didn’t even believe what she was saying. “We are having a strategic meeting in… less than an hour, now. My sister said she would attend. She has not yet arrived, but I trust she will. You should… perhaps… do so as well.”

PreviousChapters Next