• Published 12th Jul 2017
  • 20,208 Views, 1,023 Comments

Dawn - Anachronon



Redemption had to be earned, Sunset Shimmer knew that. But how could everything go so wrong? Who was this "Anon-a-Miss"? Nobody believed her, all abandoned her. What would be left for her? A certain draconequus was witness and decided to intervene.

  • ...
61
 1,023
 20,208

Chapter 4 - Wrath of the Sun

Vice-Principal Luna was not a happy camper.

Ten applications for a school transfer had been submitted since this whole Anon-a-Miss debacle started, because some stud... former students, at least soon, suffered immensely from the leaked secrets. Emotionally, socially, or both, it didn't matter.

But what mattered to her more than anything else, besides finding and punishing whoever was responsible to the highest degree, was the fact that her sister's entire career and perfect reputation were in mortal danger. Not only were enraged parents calling up a storm, but the newly involved school board itself pressured her sibling without mercy. These old fools even had the audacity to make Celestia responsible for everything and were thinking about firing the principal of CHS.

It took all their combined rhetorical skill to prevent this worst case scenario from happening, for now. They were given the task to find out who was responsible before the holidays started.

As if it was so easy! They couldn't do anything about it, no matter what they tried! It wasn't like they could just order all students to stop going on MyStable in their private time. Worse, the provider of the site refused to put down the account on the siblings' request, saying that this was a free land and everybody had the right to say or to write whatever they wanted.

Freedom of expression, a capital right of their constitution. A fundamental right despicable beings like Anon-a-Miss abused gladly to ruin other people's lives without a shame in the world and to commit crimes like cyberbullying. Peachy.

And the police couldn't help, either. Saying they couldn't do much until there was a serious clue who could be responsible. It didn't help to admit that the person behind all this was most likely underage and undoubtedly one of their very own students.

So it was on her to find the perpetrator as long as her sister was indisposed with fighting off the mob in the meantime. Sadly, questioning students if they saw someone who was acting suspicious in the last time nearly always resulted in accusations of Sunset Shimmer. Or the wildest speculations.

In Luna's opinion it didn't matter what her own feelings told her, nobody would listen anyway. But personally? She didn't believe that it was the former Queen Bee of Canterlot High in the slightest. The execution was much to sloppy for her. That girl could never be caught in the act, neither could it ever be proven that it was Sunset when someone accused her of anything before the Fall Formal happened.

For years.

And suddenly she would create such a more than obvious account? For what? Out of boredom? Unlikely, very unlikely. No, someone tried to frame her and everybody fell for it. But who?

The vice-principal felt sorry for her. She believed Sunset when she said that it wasn't her, she still did. Only now, Luna took another approach, trying to lull the one responsible into a false sense of security until the woman could strike. Like in the very strategy-based games she played. She acted much more neutral to give the impression that she didn't have any favorites.

Luna went through a lot of options, but nothing worked. So she went at last for a less... legal method. Spying.

"Don't misunderstand me, I'm truly grateful that you decided to help me out. We have to catch the person behind Anon-a-Miss, but I would have understood it when you declined. It's not without risks for you after all. Once we start there is no turning back," she added for consideration.

Hopefully Celestia appreciated her hard work.

In front of her sat Micro Chips, the president of the EDV & Computer Science Club and local alpha geek of CHS. The teenager corrected the position of his black glasses with two fingers and turned away from his laptop to face the skeptical looking woman with a serious expression of his own.

"I'll be honest with you Vice-Principal Luna. I worked on this project for the past two weeks on your request, because I want to see the one behind the mask caught and brought to justice. Two of my best friends are the scorn of our scene after their secrets were published and have a problem with showing their faces without raising a laugh nowadays. Be this the case here in our club or during the weekend at the social projects we're a part of. It might not be completely legal what we are doing, but nobody will be the wiser except you and me," Micro answered truthfully.

"And you are 100% certain that will work?" she enquired unsurely.

He nodded his head in confidence, "Positive. This virus I created will infect the school's router and watch for log ins on MyStable, specifically the MyStable account of Anon-a-Miss. Once it finds one, it'll track down the location of the IP address the next time someone logs in." The student gave her an old phone, "I uploaded a special program on this cellphone. If you click on this little symbol here you will see a map of CHS where all available IPs of the school computers, at least the ones you gave me, are installed. The next time Anon-a-Miss uses one you will be able to see exactly which computer is the source and can find him or her immediately. It all starts in the moment I click the start button, so tell me when you're ready."

Luna closed her eyes and sighed fatefully. This was it, her chance of finding the one responsible for everything that happened. After this mess was sorted out she would enjoy her more than deserved holidays. Only her, maybe Tia, and the newest games.

She opened them and said two simple words without any emotion in her voice, "Do it."

The hunt was on.


Sweetie Belle waited patiently in the library of Canterlot High for her two best friends, Apple Bloom and Scootaloo. She texted the duo to meet her there to talk with them about the future of Anon-a-Miss.

Steps approached her position loudly, they had arrived. And even better, they were completely alone in the library.

"Hey Sweetie Belle! What's up? You wanted to see us?" Scootaloo asked with a smug grin. Their plan was a full success!

"Ah'm sure Sweetie will tell us what she wants," Apple Bloom stated with a smile.

"Hello girls. I called you here, because I think we should stop posting secrets and erase the account." She started the computer and logged herself in on MyStable.

"Are ya sure? Ah mean, Ah guess? It felt really nice to feel important and all, but maybe ya're right." the oldest of the trio admitted, arms crossed in thoughts.

Scootaloo shrugged with her shoulders. "I have no problem with that. Our sisters spend much more time with us now since Sunset Shimmer is out of the picture, so we accamplished our goal anyway."

"Accomplished, not 'accamplished'," Sweetie lectured with a raised finger.

"Walking dictionary..." Scoots muttered dryly under her breath, making Apple Bloom giggle.

Rarity's little sister clicked herself through the procedure until it was nearly over. "Huh. There are still a lot of things we didn't post until now. Do you have everything on your phone, Scootaloo?"

"Yeah. I sent myself a copy of the list with all secrets and the MyStable accounts of who sent us what. Who knows, maybe we'll need it somehow in the future," the purple haired girl replied playfully.

Apple Bloom shook her head in astonishment. "Ah still can't believe how many students posted us secrets of others just so that we put them online for them."

The daredevil of the trio agreed, "You are right. It's kind of shocking to have literal proof how false many of the others are here at CHS. Like a big barrel full of lies and secrets. And we know them all." Scootaloo shuddered in disgust, "But there are things I never wanted to know."

"And... done. Anon-a-Miss is no more and nobody will ever know it was us." Sweetie Belle yawned and stretched her arms in satisfaction. Her friends gave each other a high five behind the girl's back.

Suddenly someone cleared their throat, loudly. And it was none of the girls. No, it sounded like the sound of someone far older than them.

"Sc-Scootaloo? Please tell me that was you," Sweetie Belle begged her friend, not brave enough to turn around yet.

Her friend squeaked pathetically in response, frozen in place.

An increasingly sweating Apple Bloom ended the following pregnant silence in all her combined country wisdom, "Shoot..."

The three freshmen turned slowly their heads and wished they didn't, now pale like never before in their young lives. The trio could have sworn that they were facing the Grim Reaper in the form of a very pissed-off looking Vice-Principal Luna. Standing there, she crushed an old flip phone in her right hand like it was a plastic cup.

"YOU ARE SO DONE FOR!" she roared in utter fury and ear-shattering volume.

Princess Luna would have shed tears of pride.


Celestia looked up at the sky. These clouds were definitely magical in nature and very foreboding, a dark omen indeed. But could it really be? Were they still alive after all this time? That shouldn't be possible, this world should not have enough magic to sustain them.

At least before Twilight brought back her Element.

She had hoped that the Windigos were a closed chapter of her history for all eternity. The crimes of the Spirits of Hatred against ponykind were unforgivable.

She furrowed thoughtfully her forehead, "I can feel how the air around me, especially around this 'Canterlot High School', is permeated with magic from Equestria. That's not good at all."

Discord had just informed her that Sunset was walking slowly and the park was big. If she took this street she should find Sunset soo-

"Principal Celestia! Over here!" a very familiar high-pitched voice screamed from the distance.

There they were. The human versions of Pinkie Pie, Fluttershy, Rarity, Applejack and Rainbow Dash. The humans her Little Sun trusted with her heart, only to suffer betrayal in the very end.

She pushed back her original goal until the quintet learned about the consequences of their actions. There was only judgement.

Nopony mistreated her daughter in such a way.


Sugarcube Corner was rarely this quiet before, it was an unpleasant silence for the five friends.

"I think we should leave. The only reason we met here in the first place was Sunset and she is gone," Rarity suggested somberly.

"Yeah, you are right," Rainbow Dash agreed in boredom and glanced briefly at her oldest childhood friend. "Fluttershy?" She looked... more nervous than usual.

The girl in question hid behind her hair when all attention was suddenly on her. She sighed worriedly after a few seconds. "I-I'm not sure anymore if we did the right thing. When she left I saw her eyes and I don't know how to explain it, but they were so... void of life. It was like Sunset surrendered completely. I know yo-WE all think that she's Anon-a-Miss, but something isn't right. Someone who is guilty of revealing such awful things shouldn't be so, well, devastated when called out on that. I just have a very bad feeling and I don't know why."

"Ah reckon ya think we were too harsh to the gal? Come on sugarcube!" Fluttershy flinched, "Sunset Shimmer's as guilty as a racoon besides a half-eaten apple! Please don't tell me ya're thinkin' as well that Apple Bloom and her friends could possibly be the ones responsible. That makes no sense!" Applejack couldn't believe that her own kin would do something this despicable.

"Stop! Could we please, please, pleaaaase stop arguing with each other and just go? There is nothing funny to laugh at in situations like this and I can't bear it when we start spatting with each other now as well after everything what happened with Sunset," Pinkie Pie intervened pleadingly.

The country girl smiled apologetically, "Pinkie's right. Ah'm sorry Flutters, Ah shouldn't have reacted like that. Ah just can't accept the idea of Apple Bloom being somehow involved in them shenanigans."

"It's alright. You are just protective of your little sister, there is nothing wrong with that," Fluttershy responded kindly.

The group left Sugarcube Corner after they paid for their milkshakes and made their way back to Canterlot High.

"Hey girls, isn’t that Principal Celestia? And what is she wearing?!" Rainbow Dash pointed with her finger to the other side of the street.

"Oh my! Her attire is simply divine! Is that silk? It is! And these fabulous looking shoes! These color schemes!" Rarity squealed in delight, "I just MUST know where she bought such an eye-catching wardrobe, it already inspired me for my next spring collection."

"What do y'all think is the principal doin' here anyway? Ah thought she had her hands full with Anon-a-Miss and angry parents?" Applejack commented curiously.

"I don't know, but maybe it's SUPER important?! Oh, I know! We could totally ask her if she needs any help." Pinkie Pie replied before she screamed loudly, "Principal Celestia! Over here!"

The woman in question looked at them, neutrally, maybe surprised? When suddenly her facial expression changed to something the teenagers couldn't explain themselves, something far more sinister. Why was such a livid expression painting the principal's features all of a sudden? And why did it happen after she saw them? Did they do something wrong?

The only nearly worthy description of their situation was one word. Reckoning.

"AHH! My shoes! What is wrong with the snow?!" Rarity exclaimed in disgust and shock.

The rest of the group looked down and around them.

"W-what's happening?!" Rainbow Dash shouted in fear.

"What in tarnation?!" Applejack supported her two friends.

The ground beneath them was no longer covered by more or less thick amounts of snow, but raging currents of water. The entire street and beyond was one giant rapid stream and it was hard to keep the balance. But worse, the walkway felt suddenly like the hottest sand of a beach under bare feet during a hot summer. And they wore winter footwear!

Bystanders ran away screaming, terrified by this event. Only the five girls remained.

Celestia disappeared in a blinding flash of light and reappeared a short distance in front of them, her eyes nothing more than unforgiving pits of golden flames. She walked slowly to the group, leaving burnt foorptints behind her.

"I-I have the im-impression that yo-you are not our p-principal, right?" Pinkie Pie inquired positively frightened.

Rainbow Dash calmed down a little bit and thought that the woman in front of them was perhaps some kind of Celestia imposter. Maybe a new villain from Equestria like the sirens? Nothing scared Rainbow Dash!

"Hey! Who are-"

"SILENCE!" It was a command, not a suggestion.

"Ahhh!" the Rainbooms screamed in panic, cowering and protecting their heads with their arms crossed above them.

The sheer power behind Celestia's voice shattered every single window in their surroundings. They were lucky that not much harm was inflicted upon them by the fragmented glas, only a few small bloody scratches.

"I'm not your principa! I am Princess Celestia Del Sol! Ruler of Eqeustria, Bringer of Dawn and Goddess of the Sun! And you will answer to me after what you did to my daughter!" the enraged woman declared.

The girls were beyond terrified. For the first time in their lives they felt what it meant to be subjected to the anger of a being above them in the hierarchy of creation.

Fluttershy was never this scared before. She knew that something bad would happen, but nothing like that! Hopefully this... woman? Pony? Goddess? Whatever she was, the shy girl prayed that nothing happened that would fuel this Celestia's wrath any further.

Maybe she would show mercy when they apologized with all their heart?

"But we never met your daughter! You can't just come to our world, destroy everything and scare every human here half to death! We have no idea about whom you are even talking about! Who do you think you are?!" Rainbow Dash tried to counter with false bravery.

Yep, they were toast.

"Rainbow Dash!" Rarity said forcefully to the suicidal girl, "We do NOT anger terrifying strangers! You can have your hot-headed moment later, but not now." She bowed respectfully her head in Princess Celestia's direction. "Your Majesty, please excuse my friend's uncouth behaviour. She didn't mean it like that. But I have to concur that I have no idea who you mean, either."

The chromatic student wanted to reply, but had no chance in doing so, because Princess Celestia grasped her throat and pulled Rainbow up to the ruler's eye level like it was the easiest task. Her voice gave off an ethereal echo, "You ask who I am? You know who my daughter is and can't hide the truth from me! Princess Twilight Sparkle once trusted you with watching over her and helping my Little Sun through her darkest hours as her friends! A task you accepted of your own free will, I might add, that of showing her the Magic of Friendship. I talk about Sunset Shimmer, the very pony you abandoned when she needed you the most!"

The daredevil felt never this... unworthy. It was like facing the fury of the sun. The terror in her heart and soul prevented her, as well as her equally shocked friends, from noticing the little accident that occurred between her legs.

"B-but s-she and-" Rarity was lost for words. Pinkie Pie whimpered.

Celestia let the now terrified Dash down, who could only breath heavily and sat on her butt thereafter, trembling. Trying to process what just happened. "I don't care for your excuses! She was accused of crimes Sunset NEVER committed. She wasn't guilty! Do you have any idea what you have done to her?! We ponies are very peaceful and our society is build upon the foundations of love, tolerance, trust and friendship. For the most part. If a Pony is betrayed in such a cruel way their psyche can suffer immensely, driving the victim of such atrocious behaviour into a dark and very dangerous mindset." Princess Celestia lectured, barely able to contain herself from using magic on the five teenagers if not for her many centuries of experience.

"B-but Anon-a-Miss! How can-" Applejack suffered the mother of all pimp slaps and while she flew at least five meters into a big puddle of water, she was otherwise unharmed.

"Applejack!" Pinkie Pie screamed worriedly and ran to aid her friend, "Are you alright?!"

Applejack nodded her head vigorously and put her focus on the hyperactive girl, "A-Ah'm alright Sugarcube. Ah think Ah should have seen that one comin'." She stood up with Pinkie's help, rubbed her sore and soon swollen cheek and looked at the goddess in forced calmness, but stayed cautious nonetheless.

The Alicorn-turned-human ignored the feeling of guilt in her chest after what she did, "Not exactly an action worthy of royalty, but there are situations when I see my hoof forced. Let that be a lesson to you. I don't take kindly to the likes of you who think they can harm my daughter and escape unpunished. You attacked her, unprovoked, solely because she tried to find out who else could be responsible for everything."

The apple farmer wanted to speak up, surprised that the older woman knew about something that happened only a little over an hour ago, but Celestia motioned for her to keep quiet, disappointment painted her eyes. "From what I was told, you humans show normally mercy around these parts of your world, meaning that somepony isn't guilty if not proven otherwise by undeniable evidence in presence of a court. But what the student body of Canterlot High did could qualify easily as a hunt! Sunset was already declared guilty by you without being granted a chance of defending herself or to prove her innocence! Worse! She trusted you with her heart and you blamed her as well. Were her actions of the past not proof enough for you that something was wrong?!"

Fluttershy broke down crying, sniveling between words, "I-I knew it! I-I saw it in her eyes when she left! S-she was innocent the whole time and we behaved like monsters! Oh S-Sunset, I'm so, so sorry!"

Pinkie Pie's hair was completely flat, her smile shattered by such a revelation. The rest of the Rainbooms didn't feel much better. Sunset Shimmer was innocent. What had they done? They accused her, because it was so easy. But who else could be responsible? Who else, when not her, had access to all these secrets?

Applejack and Rarity felt violently ill even thinking about it. Could it be true? Was she right all along? No... they wouldn't.

"In the very end it will be Sunset's decision alone if she desires to forgive you or not for what you have done. If she still wants you in her life. But I will bring her back to Equestria, your world is no place for a pony. If it was only me alone I would order the closure of the portal immediately. Perhaps even permanently." Before any human could object, an unnaturally cold wind blew through the city. The girls felt like they just stepped into a freezer and snow started to fall in alarming masses out of nowhere.

Celestia’s eyes widened, now she was certain that they were truly here.

Brilliant golden wings made of her magic came into existence upon her back and she flew in high speed for Canterlot Park, no longer caring if other humans saw her. Leaving the Rainbooms behind without another word.

"Is someone else worried about the implications of the princess' action? She just left after this strange feeling coldness came over us," Rarity voiced her thoughts and trembled a little.

"She looked mighty worried about somethin'. But Ah think we should search for shelter from the storm, ma' gut is tellin' me that we shouldn't be out here any longer than necessary. And Ah don't plan gettin' another hit any time soon" Applejack added her own opinion and held demonstrating her colored cheek.

"WAIT!" Rainbow Dash recovered finally from the effect these creepy eyes had on her, but heard every word. She was facing the direction Princess Celestia took. "Fluttershy! Where are you going?!"

The normally timid animal-lover ran after the alicorn like her own life depended on it, ignoring completely the incoming blizzard. Tears of despair were pouring down her eyes.

"Girls! We have to follow her! We can't just leave her alone!" Pinkie Pie shouted urgently and pursued their escaping friend.

The remaining trio was closely behind.


Sunset Shimmer left her bench, leaving for her 'home' to warm herself up. Well, as good as it was possible in a house without heat anyway. Would she now be with the others and enjoy a warm meal if they believed her? Maybe having a warm place she could sleep in to escape the cold of the winter?

She would never know.

"I'm all alone now. What is even left for me?" Sunset chuckled humorlessly, shaking her head. "I guess I deserved it after everything I did in my life. Always being arrogant and thinking of myself as superior than others. I would have enslaved an entire school and attacked Equestria were it not for Twilight and the others. I should have known that a few months of behaving wouldn't indemnify my past."

Sunset shouted into the heavens when she reached a little bridge. "I'M SO STUPID! Who would ever get the brilliant idea to attack an entire magic using nation with mind controlled high school students?!"

She groaned. They wouldn't have been able to do anything anyway! She had more than enough problems on her own before she had her human body under control. No human-turned-pony would have had any idea how to operate their new bodies let alone using the naturally given magic of one of the three tribes in any effective way. And against more than one alicorn? Yeah, good luck with that.

No, trying to cheer herself up with other thoughts didn't help at all.

Sunset slipped after she took a few more steps and fell onto the bridge, she cried. Not from pain, but because her situation was utterly hopeless. And the low temperature was getting to her.

"I-I need shelter," Sunset stammered with chattering teeth and stood up. She barely left the bridge when suddenly a great wave of... wrongness hit her in form of the coldest wind.

"What do we have here? A little unicorn, trapped in a human body. And all alone. You shall be the first of many," a malicious distorted voice spoke over the wind, sounding genderless at first. But when she concentrated, Sunset could make out a slightly male accent.

"Wh-who are-GAH!" She felt that these clouds had something magical, but the former pupil of Princess Celestia didn't expect that the blizzard would hit so hard, so merciless and so unexpected.

"I don't want to die l-like that," Sunset said to herself, trying to force her way through the storm with hurried steps.

"It is no use, you shall be ours. Your magic, as well as your soul," the dark voice whispered into her ears in sadistic glee.

Sunset turned her head in panic and fear, but didn't see anything. "S-stop playing with me!" Despair took roots in the girl's heart. Even her tears began to freeze.

The cold took away all her strength. She fell anew into the snow, face first. Sunset could barely lift her head. "Who are you?"

"Have you really forgotten us? Have the princesses sugarcoated the events of history? Once we killed thousands of your kind, devoured their very being. We were lured by the fights of the three tribes. Indeed, their hatred for each other was delicious." Sunset tried to stand up, but failed. Her body was much too weak and the cold took all her strength. "How utterly disappointing. Your ancestors delivered a much better fight than you, little unicorn," the voice taunted.

Her eyes turned into pinpricks. She hoped desperately that she was wrong, but couldn't deny the truth anymore. Windigos...

"We shall be last thing you see in your pitiful existence."

A wraith took form in front of the poor girl. It looked like a very tall malnourished human, thin, practically a skeleton with ghost blue skin and tattered robes that were flying around its form, made of living ice. Empty magically glowing eye sockets looked down upon its terrified prey.

"Do you feel how the warmth of life leaves your body?" It cackled maniacally. "We will enjoy this feast. Sleep... and don't worry about waking up again." Its voice sounded suddenly very soothing when it spoke the last sentence.

Sleep sounded like a tempting idea. Yes, she was so... tired. Sunset's skin turned paler and paler with every passing second, her eyelids became heavier.

Her eyes snapped wide open when she felt how her mind was attacked by magic.

No! Not like this!

Sunset Shimmer stretched her arm with her last ounces of power into the direction where at the sky the sun should be, if she remembered correctly. "Princess Cel-Celestia... m-mom."

The windigo leaned over its victim, touching with its wraithlike hands the cheek of the dying Sunset. "Do you feel how the deathly cold surrounds your body? How it shackles your very soul? In the moment you take your last breath you shall be ours to claim."

More and more Windigos appeared slowly, all similar in appearance, around the weakening girl, waiting patiently with hungry expressions on their faces.

They were surrounded by thick wall of snowflakes and hailstones, nothing should be able to enter their domain. Then everything broke apart, piece by piece. Burning rays of sunlight penetrated the covering blankets of frozen water from many directions at once. And a sphere of the purest white light encompassed Sunset's body, protecting her from further suffering.

"What is the meaning of this?! The sun has no power in this world!" The wraiths looked up and indeed, the clouds blocked the sun, still. So how?

"There!" another Windigo pointed out.

They all looked in the direction it pointed, and saw how a fireball descended upon their position. A human-like figure could be seen in it when it came closer. Blazing wings of unforgiving flames upon the back, a golden knight-like armor and a long burning lance in its hand.

Princess Celestia found her daughter and she was all out of mercy.

"LEAVE HER ALONE! AND FACE THE EVERLASTING WRATH OF THE SUN!"

Sunset opened one eye, filled by the smallest amounts of warmth. For the first time in days a single tear of true happiness wetted her cheek. "Mom..."


Fluttershy barely reached Canterlot Park when a giant golden barrier adorned with a lot of different runes of unknown nature appeared in front of the entrance. "NO! Let me in! Sunset! Sunset!" She knocked like a madwoman against it, nothing happened.

"FLUTTERSHY!" her friends screamed in sync, closing the distance between them.

"Darling! Whatever were you th-thinking? It's d-dreadfully cold out here!" Rarity admonished, trying to control her chattering teeth.

"Ye-Yeah! Don't sh-show us the cold sh-shoulder!" Pinkie Pie added, trying to stay warm by dancing where she stood.

"S-Seriously, Pi-Pinkie?" Rainbow Dash said in disbelief.

"Th-That ain't n-natural. It was ne-never this c-cold before in Can-Canterlot," Applejack commented. She felt worse than apple cider in the cold storage.

Fluttershy seemed to be the only one ignoring the temperature. "Girls! We have to stay and help Sunset! But this strange barrier is stopping us from-EEP!" Fluttershy pressed her body fearfully against the magical construct behind her.

"Wh-What is-GHOSTS!" Rarity shouted in terror.

Windigos appeared around the group of friends.

"You shall be ours! This entire town shall feel the cold embrace of our kind!" one of the wraiths exclaimed gleefully, sounding distinctly female.

The Rainbooms huddled closely together, hoping that this was all just a bad dream. Ghosts didn't exist! But what they believed didn't matter, the Windigos came closer ever so slowly, constricting the circle.

Warmth. And absolute silence. Weren't they in the middle of a blizzard?

But why was it suddenly so much warmer than before? Fluttershy opened her eyes, ready to face these cruel creatures again, but instead she saw that they were in CHS. The entrance hall to be precise.

"G-girls-" the animal-lover started, only to be interrupted by the hyperactive one.

"Why are we in CHS?! We were literally in a frozen state!" Pinkie Pie said gladly.

Rainbow groaned in annoyance, "Stop it with the ice puns already!"

"Darlings, I think we have bigger things to worry about..." Rarity informed nervously. The others turned around in confusion and paled at the sight in front of them.

A growling Spike and an incredibly livid Princess Twilight Sparkle stood in front of the main entrance. The quintet was lucky that looks couldn't kill.

"WE HAVE TO TALK!"


Celestia hit the ground with the force of a meteor.

Sunset was perfectly safe in her sphere, the Windigos... not so much. Many perished from the resulting explosion of flames and light, though a few managed to disappear in time.

She glared at the Spirits of Hatred with the intensity of a hundred flames in her smoldering eyes. Standing like an insurmountable bulwark in front of the Unicorn in human form. "WINDIGOS! Once I banished you to these lands 2300 years ago to protect my ponies! In the hope that you wouldn't be able to continue existing in this realm void of magic! But here you are, threatening the inhabitants of this world and in extension my daughter! I will stop you once and for all! FACE ME, COWARDS!"

The Windigo who talked to Sunset appeared in front of the princess, and he was livid, "Do you really think we will just surrender ourselves?! Don't make me laugh! ATTACK!

Five new foes appeared in front of their leader. They summoned ice blue swords or extended their fingernails into sharpened deadly claws and charged.

One of them tried its luck first, but its sword was easily blocked by Celestia's lance. She pushed her enemy back with ease and cut it in half, burning it to nothingness. The disguised Alicorn dodged another incoming attack with claws just in time and tried to stab the Windigo, only to have her lance blocked by two crossed swords of ice.

"Don't think you will have it easy," the wraith to her right said.

At the same time the fourth Windigo tried kill her from behind. It brought its own weapon down, but hit only air. She disappeared, leaving sparks of sunlight behind.

"Whe-" The wanna-be-assassin couldn't finish its sentence, a fiery weapon stuck out of its stomach, erasing it from existence immediately.

Celestia looked grimly at the remaining three opponents, glancing shortly at the leader to her side. "There is no chance of victory for the likes of you," stating it like it was a fact.

The leader growled angrily. "How dare-" Another, much more commanding presence made itself known.

"Stand down, Everwinter." After a short break the powerful voice added calmly, "So it is you. Interesting. Long time no see, Princess of the Sun."

A new wraith appeared in front of the combat-ready Celestia. This one was nearly double the size of the other spirits. He was at least three heads taller than the alicorn. With ghostly plate armor around his entire body from head to toe and a tattered black cape. Only deep red glowing eyes were visible under his crown-like helmet. The king of the Windigos himself entered the stage.

"BALTHANEL! How are you still alive?! Answer me!" Celestia roared in fury.

The Frozen King chuckled pityingly. "Poor naive mare. You overestimated mankind and underestimated us. We are incarnations of magic, hatred and other negative emotions. Wraiths. It is true that the world of men has nearly no magic, but hatred? Anger? Jealousy? It was more than enough. Humans are such fragile little creatures. They strive to do the right thing, to make this world a better place, or so they believe when following their own moral codes. But you know what? For one human who wants to live in harmony and peace there are more than enough not far behind who act on their own agenda, not caring how many suffer as long as they get what they desire. Be it riches, power, land or resources. Every day a human dies of starvation because of the greed of others. They rape and murder each other, harm the innocent for the most ridiculous of reasons. Didn't you know? Humans are capable of greatest acts of kindness as well as the most vicious of sins. Beings like us Windigos have more than enough food to supply ourselves in this world. But the magic level was rising over time, enough to build us bodies. And here we are."

The princess processed what she just heard. But why didn't they attack sooner? Was it because of the sirens? Of course! They fed upon negative emotions and incarnations of such emotions, much like the Windigos, which were nothing more than free food for them.

So a siren was something like a natural predator for these wraiths? Interesting.

"My king! We will aid you against the Alicorn of the Sun," Everwinter promised.

"Don't be foolish. This Celestia is no longer the young little mare we once encountered. None of you are strong enough to face her, she would destroy you. Go, feed upon the humans of this city. I will fight her alone," Balthanel ordered immediately.

It was clear to the princess that this 'Everwinter' didn't want to leave, but it didn't matter to her anyway. Who knew how many innocents he would harm. His moment of hesitation was her chance.

The co-ruler of Equestria teleported herself behind the Windigo commander and tried to kill him with a fast and powerful blow, but huge pillars of black ice shot out of the ground between the two, saving his life.

"I don't think so. My subordinate isn't yours to slay." Balthanel glared at his 'subjects'. "I don't like to repeat myself, Commander. Go, all of you," he said without leaving room for discussions.

"As you wish, My King," Everwinter replied with a bow of his head. He and the other three soldiers disappeared.

"It doesn't matter if you fight me with other Windigos or not! Don't think I'm the same mare from over two millennia ago! Once you were stronger than me, but things have changed." She shot two giant spheres of Solar Magic at the wraith.

"We will see. You needed your sister to banish us over 2000 years ago. Now you are all alone," Balthanel responded neutrally and summoned two smaller versions of battleaxes in his hands.

He charged at the spheres and cut them in half, ignoring the fiery explosions behind him. "Do you think I'm so easily to impress? Think fast!"

He swung his weapons in front of him and multiple lances of black ice shot in Celestia's direction. She created a shield, blocking the attack and charged towards him on her own.

"You won't endanger this world!" she swore deadly seriousness.

Celestia tried to burn her enemy to ashes with her own trusted weapon, but Balthanel blocked every attack with his two frozen axes like it was a normal lance. For thirty seconds there were only virtuosic movements, like a dance of death, performed by both opponents. Sounds of clashing metal and spells which only destroyed the environment could be heard over the ongoing blizzard.

Balthanel had enough from this stalemate and put his hand on the frozen ground, "Tomb of Ice."

The temperature of the earth and the entire environment cooled down to -50°C and the blizzard took up at speed and strength. Suddenly several black icicles shot out of the ground upon Celestia.

The Alicorn of the Sun kept up another shield in front of Sunset and her, pumping simultaneously more of her magic into the sphere surrounding her daughter to keep her safe from the further dropping temperature around them.

Sunset Shimmer was in danger and had to be treated as fast as possible. And her mother knew that.

"I have no time for this farce!" The solar ruler teleported herself behind the king of the Windigos and held her hand in front of his turning face. "Flare!"

A beam of sunlight left nothing but scorched earth in its path until it met the barrier on the other side of the park and shattered. Celestia put it up around Canterlot Park to prevent her magical abilities from destroying the city and to stop humans, as well as others, from entering this battle and getting into the crossfire.

"I have to admit, not a bad trick. But sadly for you, far from enough. I do wonder though, do you think your little sphere that surrounds this unicorn here will survive one of my strongest abilities?" Balthanel asked innocently, standing now directly in front of the unconscious Sunset Shimmer.

"KEEP HER OUT OF THIS YOU ABOMINATION! THIS IS A FIGHT BETWEEN YOU AND ME!" Celestia warned acidly.

"I think you forgot one of the most famous idioms of mankind, alicorn, 'All is fair in love and war'. Indeed, the bond between a mother and her daughter can be exploited easily. Don't you think?" He looked at the unmoving girl and swung his now in unholy black energy surrounded axes downwards, "Soulcutter."

"NO!" Celestia teleported herself between the deadly strike and her Little Sun, shielding the body of Sunset with her own after the weapons already penetrated the sphere. She no longer cared for her own safety and closed her eyes. "I'm sorry Lulu."

A loud sound of clanking pieces of metal filled the air.

"You?!" Balthanel shouted in fury.

"I know, I know. But what can I do? I just LOVE dramatic entrances. Ask Sunflank here," a well-known voice replied jokingly.

Celestia opened her eyes and saw a tall man in front of her. She recognized him immediately. He had yellow and red colored eyes in different sizes of the pupils, a grey goatee with short hair and a smile on his face that screamed confidence. He wore a mismatched suit in the most surreal color scheme and boots in a contrast to each other, one black with white stripes, the other had the opposite color scheme. A giant patched top hat on his head finished his outfit. The man blocked both swords with a long silver cane, a Chaos Star as a hilt.

"Discord, what are you doing here?! You should stay home!" Celestia shouted in shock. But the Princess of the Sun had to admit to herself that she was never this happy and lucky before to see the Spirit of Chaos.

He pushed the angry Windigo back with a powerful push of his cane, still facing the king when he answered, "Saving your round flanks of course! Oh and Sunny the Second as well. I saw that the Windigos had invaded Canterlot and said to myself, 'Discord, ole’ pal, ole’ buddy, you know that Tia has no chance of winning without your charming personality, your brilliant mind and amazing looks. You just HAVE to help her!' And you know how I feel about 'rules' and 'orders', just not my thing. You know what I mean? So I convinced myself and... here I am! The magical words you are searching for are 'Thank you Discord! Thank you so much! What would we just do without someone as superior as you! We shall bow before your radiance!'. Then I would be crowned and forever known as Princess Discord and we’d all live happily ever after."

Celestia could just give him a deadpan stare in response.

"You won't stand for much longer in my way, God of Chaos. My soldiers are already all over Canterlot under Commander Everwinter's leadership," the wraith announced smugly.

"Hold that thought!" Discord replied and trapped the now enraged Frozen King with color changing chains.

He turned around and what she saw was more than surprising. The draconequus was smiling warmly at her, no grimaces, no joking around. A genuine smile of kindness. "Tia, save your daughter, bring her to safety and come back to finish this fight as fast as possible with your strongest attack. I will buy you time."

Was this still the same jester? Since when was Discord so... mature? Was he-

Suddenly his facial expression turned back to what was well-known by him. "And don't you even think about telling someone else what I just said! I will deny it to my grave and beyond! I have a reputation to lose! Fluttershy would tease me forever and never let me live that down. You ponies are a bad influence. Shame - on - you!"

Nevermind. Celestia had to resist the urge to groan to the heavens, but sighed instead. "Thank you Discord. I will return as soon as I can the moment Sunset is out of danger."

The disguised Equestrians disappeared in a flash of light.

"DISCOOOORD!" Balthanel released much more of his power and destroyed his shackles.

"Balthi! Old house! I missed you! You look great! Is that... a new haircut?" the Spirit of Chaos inquired with a sly grin.

"You are allied with PONIES? Have you truly fallen this low?" the Windigo demanded to know.

"We both know how I HATE it to make sense." Discord grinned manically, "What could make less sense and be more chaotic than me helping them against you?"

Balthanel snorted, "I feel that you don't have as much power here as on Equus and you still decide to fight me? How foolish of you." The wraith couldn't believe what level of arrogance his opponent had. To think he could defeat him alone in his weakened state!

"Cut me some slack, Balthi! I just jumped through dimensions into a much less magical world, saved a few ungrateful teenagers from certain doom, worked myself through a magic barrier of the strongest degree made by an alicorn and eradicated a few of your fellow chilblains on the way. And now I stand here before you in a human body, cracking jokes. I'm on a roll!" Discord boasted and pointed his cane at the Spirit of Hatred.

"So be it," Balthanel said and summoned all his power to the surface. A void black outline surrounded his figure, "Prepare yourself!"

"En garde!" Discord's headgear transformed into a musketeer hat.

Their weapons clashed, but Balthanel was much stronger and nearly cut his opponent in half, had Discord not side stepped in time. "Fool! This world is fueled by hatred! This very city filled by negative emotions and the other Windigos are roaming its streets under the guidance of my commander. You have no power here!"

"Oh! Oh! I know that reference! But I fear I have to take away your fun. Your buddy didn't have so much luck with his plans." Discord snapped his fingers and a in swirling violet Chaos Magic engulfed item appeared to Balthanel's feet.

The magic disappeared and the now visible Windigo's head started to disappear. It was Everwinter.

"What?!" the Frozen King exclaimed in fury and confusion.

"Oh, I know. Normally I'm not one for the permanent solution, but you guys are so cold in your behaviour that I decided to put your little commander... on ice. He attacked me first to my defense," Discord explained in mock-disgust and false shame.

Balthanel sighed in disappointment, "Such a ridiculous fool, thinking he could take you on, even in this form. In the very end he was worthless. But tell me, why are you fighting for the humans of this world? When they learn about your existence they would do anything in their power to kill you. Humans fear the unknown and act on these feelings accordingly. And it ends mostly with lethal results, one side always suffers harm in the progress. You saved Celestia and her daughter, but why them?"

The God of Chaos shrugged with his shoulders, "What can I say? I learned to appreciate a little more the value of life since I became friends with the kind one. Sombrero, the Tirekinator, you, all of you guys don't care how many lives you take and I have a personal problem with that."

"Is that so?" the king stated the rhetorical question in boredom.

"Indeed. You see, if everybody is dead, who would be able to appreciate my chaos? Who would laugh about my jokes? If I let you do what you want then I will lose my audience. No can do, Balthi," the draconequus answered in a tone like he just told him that snow was cold.

"Stop calling me that!" the Frozen King shouted in annoyance and slashed at Discord, cutting him in half this time. Only for the disguised draconequus to explode into fire.

"Careful! Or you might get burned," the Spirit of Chaos said from another position, laughing.

The smoke cleared and much to Discord's confusion the Windigo king remained completely unharmed. Huh... it seemed the arsenal of spells he used in such a short time took much more out of his weakened state than he thought. That wasn't good, he needed to keep enough magic in himself to return to Equestria, should the need arise.

"Pathetic. Is that all what the mighty God of Chaos is capable of in this form?" Balthanel asked, almost sounding insulted.

Discord snorted and took his cane where the hilt was into one hand, a clicking tone resonated and a thin golden blade appeared on one side. "It seems we have to do this the old-fashioned boring way."

For the first time since Balthanel had appeared, their was true surprise in his eyes. "YOU want to engage in close combat? Now I have seen truly everything."

"Good for you," the God of Chaos replied, trying to buy Celestia as much time as possible until she could deal with the Frozen King.

Discord jumped forwards, using his cane to block the incoming twin axes, when he let the air around his enemy's head explode to disorientate or at least confuse him, which worked. The explosion took Balthanel by surprise and he cut across the wraith's chest, creating a wound through the armor and into his being.

The Spirit of Hatred hissed in pain and teleported himself away, looking down at the wound. "No weapon not based on the element of light should be able to harm me in such a manner, but then again I should have expected that your weapon would be able to do exactly that."

Balthanel charged once more.

The exchange of blows ended when the Spirit of Chaos missed a fast movement of Balthanel and he fell for the king's ruse of a downwards slash. The Windigo used his opportunity and stabbed his opponent through the stomach. Life fluid tainted the white snow with its crimson color.

Discord coughed up blood and kneeled in front of the king, "I have to admit, THAT hurts." He now had to return to Equus in order to heal his wounds. The draconequus lacked the necessary power on Earth to cast the spell that would repair his body without a hitch.

"Is something wrong? Not so cocky anymore? How does it feels like to suffer pain like a common mortal?" Balthanel asked mockingly.

The God of Chaos just grinned in response which irritated the wraith to no end. He coughed every now and then thanks to his wound, "T-the joke is on y-you, Frosty Pants. Being stabbed in the gut is my secret f-fetish," he answered with a laugh.

"I have had enough of your insolence and insufferable behaviour! Tell me your last words before I rip your heart out, worm!" Balthanel shouted lividly.

"My, my, so t-touchy. I have a few last last w-words for you. But i-it's more a question," Discord replied. He jumped back forcefully until the sword didn't impale him any longer and summoned anew very strong chains to trap Balthanel. "What sun protection factor has your sun cream?"

"What are you-" The Windigo king's eyes widened. Of course! This filth acted as bait!

"NOW TIA!" Discord disappeared with a snap of his fingers.

Princess Celestia flew with her wings at least 100 meters above the ground. Her spell was finally finished, "THIS WILL BE YOUR END BALTHANEL!"

Over the entire park appeared a giant two-layered circle of Solar Magic, exactly ending at the barrier surrounding it.

"No!" the wraith screamed and ripped his arms free, aiming with his hands at the goddess. "Ice Age!" releasing a concentrated beam of black colored magic.

She knew that this fight was over. A last act of resistance by her enemy, but a futile endeavor in the end.

Her sentence was: Death. "Solar Breaker!"

A concentrated counter beam of magic shot out of the inner circle of the ring, the diameter at least 50 meters. This was the last thing the Frozen King saw in his long existence. His final thought was just one word, 'How?'

Canterlot Park, a place of 330 hectares, was consumed by a sea of flames. Only a blazing inferno remained.

Author's Note:

Edited version uploaded: 08/17/17
Proofreader: Javarod (Thanks! :pinkiehappy:)

Greetings my avid readers! :twilightsmile:

I hope you enjoyed the chapter.

And I know, it had more elements like a Shounen Anime, but hey! At least I have imagination. :twilightblush:

Thank you very much for reading and stay tuned! :moustache: