• Published 12th Jul 2017
  • 20,045 Views, 1,023 Comments

Dawn - Anachronon



Redemption had to be earned, Sunset Shimmer knew that. But how could everything go so wrong? Who was this "Anon-a-Miss"? Nobody believed her, all abandoned her. What would be left for her? A certain draconequus was witness and decided to intervene.

  • ...
61
 1,023
 20,045

Chapter 17 - New Squad in Town

To use their little and unexpected journey efficiently, Sunset asked what happened with Lightmane and Grayhoof. The reaction was funny and embarrassing at the same time.

“You should have seen me!” Twilight pranced in front of her friend from joy. “I didn’t know I could act so, well, regal! I told them that you are not only my friend, but close to Princess Celestia and that I would inform them about their inexcusable behaviour the next time we meet.” The giddy mare giggled when she remembered their faces. It was only an empty threat after all. “Oh, and the guards took them to the palace for further questioning. Now everything is in the capable hooves of the Royal Court.” She was very excited and proud of herself, eyes gleaming.

Though she didn’t mention that the lavender alicorn made it very clear to them that the couple would pay should they try to escape justice through unacceptable methods. Not really for herself, but because they insulted her friend in an incredibly rude manner.

What she didn’t know was that the amber unicorn kept a secret as well. Sunset didn’t deem it mandatory to inform Twilight about her conversation with Mayor Mare, it would most likely only upset her or undo the process she made with breaking the younger mare’s shell.

Sunset shared her friend’s mood, “It’s good to know that those apple polishers will get what they deserve, but please don’t tell mom about what they did, she might overreact. This includes Luna as well. Besides, I would prefer it to laugh in those nobles’ faces with their dignity intact.”

Not that she wanted them to escape lightly, but it was enough for her to know that they would be punished accordingly. She didn’t know how her new family would react to the fact that they insulted Twilight and her in such a crass manner. Destroying whoever opposed her reminded the unicorn way too much of the old Sunset Shimmer, who would have enjoyed their social annihilation.

The Princess of Friendship smiled facetiously, “Of course not, I would never do such a thing! I am a princess after all and have to pull my own weight. It would be completely ridiculous to do something like that in an attempt to verify my call of judgement in the process. Hehe… hahahaha!” Her laugh was as fake as Mayor Mare’s hair color.

Sunset’s eyebrow reached Applejack level of orbit, “Twilight, what did you do?”

“Would it make it better when I say that I forgot about your new relationship to Princess Luna and now honestly regret what I did?” the alicorn asked rhetorically, her voice barely above a whisper.


Night Glider and Black Watch were pure blood thestrali and proud to serve. Truly, doing the biddings of the Lady of the Night was the highest of honors. They stood in front of Luna’s chambers, but their shift wasn’t as quiet as the duo had expected it to be.

“Do you know why the Princess is cackling like a mad mare?” Night Glider queried stoically.

A true guard never left his post nor displayed emotions, professionalism above all else, no matter how scary their charge behaved.

Black Watch showed the same skill of self-control, “I thought I heard the sound of a dragon candle. It seems somepony wrote her a letter.”

They possessed the heightened senses their tribe was known for, keen eyes and sharp ears. A needed advantage as protectors of Equestria when dangerous predators and other beasts left their home to search for prey in the shadows of the night.

Suddenly a, some would say, sadistic joy could be heard in the lunar monarch’s voice, “We shall be most creative! We are not the Mistress of Dreams for naught! Huzzah!”

The two stallions glanced briefly at each other. Wasn’t Nightmare Night just two months ago?


The magical protégés reached their goal, as requested by the ancient ruler of Equestria. The Hurricane Academy, one of the institutions solely dedicated to train the next generations of soldiers.

It was a palatial place made of marble, like many buildings in Canterlot, with four stories and built in a wide u-shape with four great towers, one at each corner. They were tall, second only to the spires of Canterlot Castle with their height. The roofs were made of royal purple glass and the walls decorated with golden frets.

But most imposing was the statue of Commander Hurricane himself. He wore a common armor for the times of old, which only let his eyes remain visible beneath the helmet, his upper legs and hooves remained free of any protective gear. Sharply crafted wing blades and a spear in the right hoof added to his portrayal as the legendary commander of Pegasopolis. His eyes gave off the infamous unforgiving stare, even in stone.

One might be forgiven for thinking the statue was watching them, judging their merit. An inscription could be read on the plinth, one of his mostly used and translated quotes in history classes.

Only fools seek war, for it favors nought the brave nor spares the innocent. Nor does it favor the conqueror, for death is its only love.

“The letter said that we should come here. What now?” Sunset asked impatiently.

“Now you two fillies will give me a hug before we talk business,” a new voice responded warmly.

They turned to see a stallion, one who was clearly a soldier, albeit retired. Age had taken its toll, his physique not as trim as a soldier’s, nor his fur as bright. His moderate amber eyes were as focused as always though, darting in every direction now and then to check the surroundings unconsciously, a product of decades of training. His grayish azure coat instead of an purely azure one was a sign, along with the gray hairs in his dark phthalo blue flat mane and few wrinkles on his forehead. It was strange for Sunset Shimmer to see him without armor, his Cutie Mark uncovered for all to see. A yellow waxing crescent moon with a smaller white waning crescent moon inside.

“Dad?!?”

“Lieutenant!?!”

Sunset and Twilight exclaimed at the same time and gave him a big hug, before they looked at each other with perplexed expressions.

“D-dad?” the amber mare inquired with a squeak.

Her friend could only nod in stupor.

Night Light meanwhile took this opportunity and ruffled both of their manes in visible mirth, “Major now, theoretically speaking. I never thought that I would see the day when you came home. And certainly I hadn’t expected you to become Twilight’s friend.” He grinned cheekily at their reactions. Somepony didn’t simply ruin a mare’s coiffure and escaped unscathed, in most cases.

The lavender alicorn was ready to complain that her father never told her about the seemingly close relationship of the two unicorns when she remembered that she never told her parents about her adventures in the human world in the first place.

Its existence was to this day a state secret for obvious reasons. Or did the princess secretly inform him anyway and all her worries were unfounded? She wasn't sure, a very unsatisfying state of mind.

Instead she simply said frustratedly, “You know each other?”

Night Light chuckled at his daughter's predictable reaction, “As one of Princess Celestia’s former guards, of course I met her student.” He analyzed the appearance of mentioned unicorn, “And I must say you grew into a beautiful mare. As expected.”

Sunset smiled bashfully, obviously a lot of time had passed. Sure, mom hadn’t had a student named Twilight Sparkle when she left, a mare who was probably just twenty years old by now, if not younger. But until she saw Night Light, it hadn’t really sunk in how much time had passed. About five years on the other side of the mirror, but here, home, at least two decades had passed.

“Stayed the whole tour, huh? Always thought you’d get out and start a family. At least I was right about that,” she said as she winked at him playfully, “You ol’ charmer, which one of your many admirers caught you in the end? Merry Belle? Orchard Blossom? Or was it Velvet Glide? Faust knows there wasn’t a guard she didn’t make a pass on, not that you minded the attention.”

He returned the gesture, “Don’t remind me, I can’t remember how many times she got written up.”

“Gross! Stop it you two! I’m not ready to hear about my dad’s conquests!” Twilight interrupted in clear disgust. Hairs were sticking out of her mane and tail.

Even if only meant as a joke!

The old stallion backed off in embarrassment, “Sorry TwiTwi.”

A sly grin slid onto Sunset’s face, one that was downright evil as she looked at her companion, “TwiTwi?”

“Daaaad,” came a very un-princess like whine.

Sunset sighed happily, it was without question wonderful to meet Night Light again. He was her favorite guard. Many a night they chatted when she was supposed to be in bed rather than studying. Unlike the other guards and most of the staff, she saw herself in him, somepony with ambition, brains and a plan to be something else than arrow fodder.

Funnily enough most ponies always thought that his Cutie Mark would symbolize something obvious like a talent in stargazing, and it confused them how such a talent could relate to being a soldier. Sunset was thoroughly impressed when she found out that his magic got a boost at night, waxing and waning with the cycles of the moon. Likewise his senses were enhanced, perhaps falling short of the thestrali, but certainly better than any other unicorn.

With the Night Guard dissolved and the thestrali chased into hiding, the Solar Guard had to take over their role. Many of his colleagues struggled with the night shift, but Night Light stood out by how comfortable he was working overnight. This propelled him up through the ranks, from a wet behind the ears private to Celestia’s personal guard, night shift commander and lieutenant in less than five years.

“So, how did you both... meet each other?” Twilight ended the silence awkwardly.

Night Light smiled at her in a way that Sunset contemplated if she should run before it was too late. “Well, a certain unicorn, whose name shall remain unknown, was very excited and curious when it came to our military during her foalhood. I lost count how many times she tried to improve the cadets’ training schedule. But nowadays only rumors remain of the fabled and much adored ‘cutest drill sergeant of Equestrian history’.”

The picture of an energetic little filly Sunset with much too big shades on her muzzle and a whistle around her neck came to mind. She was trying to ‘glare’ at everypony who didn’t follow her will and commit themselves to maintaining rigid discipline.

Twilight tried not to gush over the level of pictured adorableness, “Awwww~!” and failed miserably. “But I thought you always wanted to become a princess?”

Sunset turned away and buried her face beneath her front legs in shame. She was absolutely sure that steam escaped her burning ears right now, “I was just seven years old at the time and before I aimed for an own set of wings I was fascinated by the military style of life. It was a phase, alright?” came the desperate attempt to justify herself. Turning her attention back to the stallion, “But what about you? I thought you swore you’d get out.”

The old soldier chuckled, “I did actually. After my son was born, I decided it was time. I met his mother, Twilight Velvet, while touring the Canterlot Astronomy Institute. I was quite ready then, after all, with a son, a safer job was needed. Besides, the guard offered to pay for all my schooling, if I stayed as a reservist. Imagine my surprise when I found out that the princess was behind that. Every now and then, I would be called on to help with training, or for other special missions. Eventually I became the unofficial ambassador to Hollow Shades and an honorary thestral. Part time of course, I had my work at the Royal Astronomy Institute, especially when Princess Luna was returned to us. Everything went better than I planned, a dream job, a family, a son who became captain of the guard before marrying a princess and my daughter becoming a princess.” He looked pointedly at Sunset, “Though now it’s time for me to make a dream of yours come true,” his tone becoming more business like.

Twilight’s jaw went on vacation, “You are Princess Celestia’s agent I heard about this morning?! The one who helped out in Hollow Shades before Princess Luna’s return?!”

Her father’s cheeks rosed ever so slightly, “Forgive me that I kept this a secret from you my Little Star, I simply expected Celestia to tell you when you became a princess.”

They both put their focus on Sunset, who suddenly started to grumble to herself, deep in her musings.

Mentioned mare furrowed her forehead in confusion, then it clicked. She stood up and groaned, “Are you kidding me? That was a long time ago!” A bemused stare was directed at Night Light.

The former agent snorted, like he remembered a hidden joke.

“Could somepony please explain what is going on?” the Princess of Friendship asked impatiently, glancing between both parties.

Eventually Sunset sighed heavily. “Alright, listen. I wanted to become a princess with everything it entails, a personal guard included. I told mom about my-” The unicorn blushed in shame, “-demand and was dismissed.”

She received a laughing fit in response, because Princess Celestia was convinced that she was pulling her leg. In retrospect that was pretty bold, even for her.

Night Light gestured for them to move, “Dismissed perhaps, but not forgotten. Let us discuss it on our way.”

The trio entered the academy through a huge wooden double door, reinforced with iron, the guards at either side saluting when they passed them.

“So are you retired now? I can’t imagine it, somepony like you can’t sit still for five minutes,” Sunset asked with a mocking grin.

“Tell me about it…” Twilight murmured to herself in hidden terror.

She shuddered alone from the memory of agonizing laps in the early morning when she was still living in Canterlot. Her father was convinced that she would become pudgy if she did nothing else than to sit and read despite his own academic job. Of course she hadn’t known about his military career or what his overtime on weekends had actually been to that time. While the routine wasn’t as strenuous as her older brother had gone through, it was more than enough for her.

“Retired? They’d never allow it. I helped modernize the Night Guard’s training, worked with Princess Luna’s transition team, and even still help with training, especially the Night Guard,” the stallion said with a chuckle as they walked.

They wandered through small corridors, the young recruits who saw them were in sheer awe from being in the presence of a princess, much to the alicorn’s discomfort. Some of the more juvenile kind whistled after Sunset, but a metal melting glare by Night Light made them run for the hills with their tails between their legs.

“How much do you know about the level of security in Ponyville?” the older unicorn asked neutrally.

Twilight shifted uncomfortably with her wings, “Not this again…

Her amber friend sincerely considered the answer, “It depends. If Ponyville is still a village or a town, then the mayor decides the type of law enforcement, which can be a sheriff, warden, village guard or another form entirely. A guard unit of up to eight ponies can be assigned to supplement them per mayor’s request or should the princess… princesses, deem it necessary do to the crime rate. The only exception is a royal facility in town, meaning Harmony Castle in this case, which of course would have its own guard. If it grows into what can be considered a city, then it has to accept a temporary outpost of 20 guards while a city guard is trained. A small town mayor can also request a city guard in expectation of continued growth.” Sunset glanced at the alicorn of their group. “I would assume being the home of Twilight it would require at least a small guard unit.”

The Princess of Friendship frowned, she didn’t like where this was going.

Night Light hummed in an unreadable tone, “Yes, that should be the case, shouldn’t it? Ponyville’s very own monarch needs her own division, though my daughter’s new home has sadly no guards to this day.”

Earth ponies were proud and convinced that they could take care of themselves, their stubbornness the stuff of legends. Ponyville was no exception, much to the major’s chagrin. One of many traditions they had, like for example relying solely on hoof and wing power alone during Winter Wrap Up, not allowing any magic, even if it would make things much easier, was that guards weren’t accepted as long as they had a choice. It was proof to them that they could handle their problems without having to depend on the crown's resources.

Sunset had similar thoughts, “Right, earth pony village. But why are you speaking subjunctively?”

Twilight rolled her eyes, “I don’t have any personal guards and I don’t need any. Spike and I are perfectly content on our own and everypony can visit the library as they desire, like it was the case before I got the castle.” She gave her father a displeased look, “And I would appreciate it if Shining and you could stop trying to convince me otherwise.”

The amber mare stopped to process what she just heard before she caught up with the duo once more, “Mom never told you to get your own guard?”

Her lavender nodded proudly, “Exactly! Princess Celestia trusts my judgement.”

Night Light didn’t look forward to dashing his daughter’s wishful thinking, but she had to know the truth, “Twily, the princess never told you that, because she knows how you would have reacted. And not in the way she would have wanted it to happen. You adore her too much.”

Sunset added her own two bits, “You would have done it, but not out of your own free will, but rather to please her. Though having your own force is much more important than you might think.”

“Ponyville is a really safe place and we can deal with the occasional animal attack on our own,” the alicorn countered stubbornly.

Sunset bumped her flank against Twilight’s to calm the lavender mare down, “It’s not exclusively about Ponyville, it’s about you. Guards are not only eye candy for the civilians, but serve as a symbol of power. Politicians, nobles, the common folk, salesponies, they will be reminded in this way that you have not only wings and a horn, but the loyalty of your subjects behind you. Ponies who will defend you should the need arise.”

Night Light gave her a kind smile, “Remember what I told Shining during his lessons when you two were younger? ‘A battle’s outcome doesn’t need to depend on brawn and magical prowess alone. If it is possible, try to make your opponent believe that the fight is already decided in your favor before it even started.’

Twilight glimpsed unsurely between the two unicorns, “You are talking about perception... I-I don’t know. What if Mayor Mare doesn’t approve? If the girls think I believe myself better than them?” She was about to worry herself into a frenzy.

“We went over this. Your friends will continue to be there for you and I have the feeling that the mayor of Ponyville might be more at ease than you think when she knows that you finally decided to take an own guard,” Sunset said supportively. “At worst, she’ll simply want them restricted to protecting you and the castle.”

The last part earned her bemusement.

“And most importantly is your safety. An empty castle is an invitation for every criminal who wishes to harm you or has other malevolent plans. What if the Queen of the Changelings returns for revenge? Another tyrant like King Sombra or Lord Tirek? Guards can warn you in advance before it is too late to react,” he warned gently.

“Or what about another crazy unicorn skilled with magic who convinced herself that you took her dreams away from her and is blinded by revenge as I was?” the senior student joked in a half-serious manner.

Twilight snorted, “Sunset, the chance of meeting in Equestria another pony with the same level of skill as the both of us is ridiculously low. Every strong unicorn winds up studying at Princess Celestia’s school, and the truly powerful wind up as her personal pupil. I was her first student since you, and she hasn’t taken another yet, so there’s nothing to worry about.”

Her fellow equines stared at her for tempting fate like that.

She gave them a pleading look, “Are you sure I can’t convince you to let this topic rest?”

Two shaking heads answered the question immediately.

Twilight looked hopefully at her father, “You said that Sunset’s dream would come true, do you mean that this new guard will be created for her?”

Sunset had her own opinion on that, “I’m not even an official princess. Mom and Auntie Luna created it obviously for you.”

“You are both wrong.” The younger mares halted to stare at each other with raised eyebrows. Night Light continued to pace without missing a beat. “This new regiment serves the both of you. We will start small, because I am certain that none of you like it too overbearing at the very beginning.”

“How many?” the amber unicorn queried warily.

“Seven. So it will still be in the limit of eight soldiers,” he promised.

“So we both have the right to give them orders? Why?” Twilight wished to know.

The major chuckled dryly, “Do you want an entire troop formation working for you alone like the Night- and Solar Guard do for Princess Luna and Princess Celestia?” The sore look on her face said it all, Sunset only shrugged. “See? You could work together as a team and coordinate your ideas.”

Night Light led them around like a tourist guide. Multiple classrooms and small libraries occupied the premises. Sometimes Sunset and her father had to pull Twilight forward, but not without the promise that she would get a chance to read the books and scrolls she never heard about before.

There were of course dorms for the new recruits who were required to live here until completing their training. First years students would remain here except for certain holidays, while sophomore and senior cadets could earn a weekend pass for good performance. Nearby were the officer and instructor quarters.

He told them how the Hurricane Academy was set up. Each of the towers contained special equipment belonging to the cadets of the individual tribes serving the kingdom. Earth pony, pegasus, unicorn, thestral. And the u-shape served a purpose, the entire area between its arms was one large training ground with specially crafted areas for every tribe where they could test their abilities to the fullest.

Obstacle courses made of clouds for the pegasi and thestrali with a wide variety of simulated problems which were to be solved and skills to be mastered.

A little quiet spot for the earth ponies to meditate, on this way they would learn to control their mana output and in extension their strength. They witnessed different success rates. Some earth ponies pulverized entire boulders with a single hit whereas others had a problem with damaging beams.

But the two mares weren’t really impressed when they watched what the unicorns were doing. Mostly basic stuff that would be expected. Like the mastery of levitation, weights, shields, swords, crossbows, weapons and objects in general. How to create traps and minor runes. Even the offensive spells weren’t that exciting, arcane bolts of various sizes and density, simple illusion spells. What interested them slightly more was the conjuration training where the goal was to manifest your own magic weapon, shield spells or the offensive use of teleportation.

Though they could respect the ambitious trainees who wanted to become future army doctors, focusing on Life Magic, one of the most strenuous classes.

Night Light saw that and scolded them for their lackluster attitude, reminding them that not everypony could become a highly skilled magic caster or was a protégé.

The two students of the Princess of the Sun had the decency to blush for their bored expressions.

“Why aren’t most of them wearing armor?” Twilight asked in honest interest.

It was easy to identify the instructors from the rest. The members of the firstly mentioned group wore the fitting armor, depending on their affiliation. But the newly trained recruits called vests their own, with different colors belonging to a certain tribe. Purple was for the unicorns, white for the healer as a group, green for the earth ponies, light blue for the pegasi and dark blue marked the thestrali cadets. Then there was a number of ponies who wore plain white armor over their bodies, without any symbols, ornaments or anything else on it.

Sunset replied instead of Night Light, “Because of their curriculum. The training to become a fully fledged soldier lasts three years. The first year serves as a means to separate the wheat from the chaff and the training of your attributes like speed, agility, endurance and strength, be it muscle, mana control or spell casting. The second year is designed as a more special training concerning the skills of your tribe and the offensive as defensive use of your personal abilities. The third year focuses solely on the unit you want to become a part of, that is the moment you get a white armor as a reminder of your future goal, because to receive the official and enchanted version you obviously have to graduate successfully.”

“It surprises me that you didn’t know about that,” Night Light commented in bafflement.

The lavender alicorn rolled lightly with her eyes, “Yeah, thanks to Shiny. I swear he goes on and on and on about this topic whenever he can. I grew tired of military related material a long time ago and began tuning him out. I wonder why he can’t understand that he bores other ponies out of their minds with his endless exposition and never coming to a point. It would be enough to focus on the important details, but it always degenerates into a monologue.”

Her two companions had no words to express their feelings.

The trio entered a quieter part of the terrain and came to a huge pavilion surrounded by water where seven mares in white uniforms were waiting for them in the distance. They all stood in a row and saluted in sync when they saw them approaching.

“Huh? Not that I’m complaining, but how come there are no stallions?” Sunset queried in confusion and amazement.

Twilight stared at her father for an answer to the same question she wanted to ask.

Night Light remained silent, what could he tell them?

“'Tis most astonishing. After the reports of their instructors there are many fitting candidates, but we only need seven.” Luna grinned like a predator and licked her lips in an over dramatic manner. “How about Private Limit Break? He looks easy enough on the eye. And who knows, maybe my niece and Princess Twilight will see something they like?” She browsed through a few more files of the potential future protectors of the realm. “And not only him.”

The Princess of the Sun and her trusty friend remained calm, their poker faces didn’t show a hint on their thoughts. They glanced over the pictures, then at each other, back at the pictures, followed by Luna, only to end their own eye contact.

Both nodded, an important agreement was made. Their daughters had to be protected at all costs.

“Lulu, we came to a decision,” Celestia started like she wanted to be the harbinger of good news.

“It will be seven mares. We can’t risk Sunset and Twilight being distracted from their duties,” Night Light finished with the same sudden cheerfulness.

Luna said nothing at first before she laid her head on the table in sheer disbelief. “You two are unbelievable,” she grumbled. Another possible consequence came to mind, “Oh, and just so you know, I won’t clean up the mess if Cadie finds out about your… ‘concerns’.”

The duo nodded fatefully, they would embrace the storm together.

“Believe it or not, the princesses and I were amazed, too. Who would have thought that the seven best choices from our graduates are all mares? But in the end their files spoke volumes about their potential,” he lied professionally.

Both friends accepted the explanation without further questioning.

After their arrival one of two waiting unicorn mares saluted before saying in a calm and very educated voice, “Sir! We all thank you for this opportunity and I want to say in the name of our group how much of an honor it is to be selected as the first squad of this new branch.”

Night Light returned the gesture and pride could be seen in his eyes. “You earned it as seven of the best graduates this year had to offer. Now, let me introduce you to Princess Twilight Sparkle and Marquess Sunset Shimmer. Their protection is your duty, and you will obey their orders, and only theirs. Not me nor anypony else of a higher rank can give you orders unless explicitly allowed by them.”

Sunset growled in a very unpony like manner, “She didn’t...!”

“Who? What?” Twilight asked

Leaning in closer so only the princess could hear, “Mom. She gave me a title. Have you ever asked her why she’s not a queen?”

“After the Changeling attack.” she said with a nod, “The Princess said it was because their can only be one queen.”

The amber unicorn snorted, “That and princess sounds friendlier, especially if you leave off a part of her title. Her and her sister are grand princesses, Cadence is probably a princess, just a princess, and you’re probably a sovereign princess, while your friends are dames. Marquess means I’m just below you in royal rank if she’s still using the old unicorn system.”

Twilight nuzzled her, “She means well, she probably wants ponies to get used to you being a royal before she officially adopts you.”

With a sigh, “Can’t I just have a normal life,” she asked rhetorically

When the two finished speaking they caught a, “Cool! Does that mean not even Princess Celestia and Princess Luna can call the shots? Sounds legit,” from a pegasus who said it in a relaxed manner.

Twilight’s eye twitched at the casual tone concerning the Royal Pony Sisters, but Sunset laughed it off, “OK, I admit that I like her already.” Raising her voice, “Well, they outrank us, so it depends on them to whom you’re loyal to.”

The Princess of Friendship wasn’t convinced, “Seven fresh recruits right from the academy? Are you sure we don’t need at least somepony with more experience?

The older stallion chuckled, “That is the main reason why they were chosen, after all, you’re not the same kind of princess that Celestia or Luna is. Your new guard deserves fresh blood and not us old fogeys. Each of these lovely ladies stayed true to her character, but still displayed a proper level of skill and professionalism when necessary. They represent the next generation, integrity and courage as befits the guard, but similar to you, they aren’t limited by tradition nor settled in their ways. That makes them the perfect first candidates for this project.” He looked at his newest graduates, a much more professional attitude replaced his formerly pleasant aura, “Of course I expect your utmost diligence concerning this task nonetheless. You seven are trusted with the protection of two very important ponies and failure is not an option, not even in your worst nightmares. Understood?”

The chosen soldiers snapped to attention and saluted as one, conviction and faith laced their oath, “Sir! Yes, Sir!”

Sunset gave them a reassuring smile, “I would prefer to know names instead of having to call you by your rank alone. Who wants to start?”

The unicorn who spoke up first stepped forward with grace in her step. She was beautiful by pony standards and held herself like a noble mare, but lacked the arrogance most possessed. She had light turquoise gray fur, a short, well-groomed grayish mulberry colored mane with raspberry streaks and longer flicks of hair framing the sides of her cheeks. A slightly curled tail and dark indigo eyeshadow gave the impression that this unicorn wouldn’t necessarily prefer combat, but judging her by appearance alone would cost her foes dearly. Her Cutie Mark was a flaring yellow sun.

She gave a delicate bow, “My name is Corporal Sunny Flare, Milady. I am pleased to make your acquaintance.”

“Corporal?” Sunset inquired in slight wonder.

Her guard nodded respectfully, “Yes, I was chosen as the unit commander as I finished top of my class. I will be responsible for the unit’s day to day operation. Of course you and Princess Twilight have the final say and can decide otherwise if you so desire.”

The alicorn’s eyes roamed over the group before she smiled at Sunny, “We will take your words into consideration. Thank you for your honesty.”

She didn’t state her rank as a fact and admitted without hesitation that they could give the role of leadership to another guard at any given time should they deem it necessary. It spoke for an upstanding character.

Next came the energetic earth pony with a big smile, “Private Lemon Zest, let’s have a great time!”

Lemon had light brilliant amber eyes, the fur was pale light grayish amaranth and her tail and shoulder long mane were wild looking. Both were tricolored like a tropical fruit, light pistachio with pale, light grayish green and light brilliant lime green streaks in them. She wore expensive looking headphones around her neck. A slice of lemon tart as her sign.

A second earth pony took her place with an unreadable expression of neutrality, reminding Sunset and Twilight of Maud Pie to a degree, but then she smiled softly and had a little more emotion in her voice, “Lady Shimmer, Princess Twilight, my name is Private Sugarcoat. Please excuse our friend’s lack of seriousness, she means well, but sometimes her brain isn’t as fast as her muzzle.”

The smaller mare in question glared at the blunt guard.

Sugarcoat had grayish orchid colored eyes, light phthalo bluish gray fur and an impressive pair of twintails as a mane. Her tail longer than expected by a mare of her calling. Both were light opalish gray with light arctic bluish gray streaks in between. Her Cutie Mark was confusing for her new superiors, a magenta colored pair of lips, formed like they were about to say something.

Another unicorn laughed melodically, “Girls, you really should stop teasing each other like that. We are all here to serve the same purpose after all. Can’t you see that you make us look bad in the front of our future superiors you featherbrains?!

Sunset and Twilight recoiled at the sudden change of character. At first this mare was friendly, sweet and cheerful, next thing they knew she stepped closer to the duo of earth ponies, had her eyes narrowed threateningly, almost angry, and her voice became hard and accusing.

“What the buck was that?” Sunset whispered in wonder for only her friend to hear.

“I have no idea, mood swing?” Twilight replied back in a similar volume, analyzing the situation with fascination.

The Cutie Mark was surely fitting, a purple pulsing heart in a blue concentric heart, giving the impression of two different heartbeats.

“Hi! Private Sour Sweet, at your service! Everypony who thinks that they can mess with you will have a really bad time, trust me,” the crazy unicorn promised ominously.

The two friends nearly missed Sour Sweet’s introduction, because they were caught up in their own thoughts regarding this interesting mare. And it sounded like she meant business with the last part.

Though it seemed all candidates were special in one way or another.

Twilight’s stand took a more nervous touch, “Thank you for the offer, but I think we can handle-”

Sunset saw that their eager new guard was distracted with her brutal demonstration on an innocent boulder in the unlikely case of royal harassment and jogged her right hind leg into the lavender alicorn’s flank. “What Princess Twilight means to say is that your enthusiasm is appreciated, Private Sour Sweet, but we would prefer a more diplomatic way to handle our affairs, if possible. Of course you have free reign should a situation get out of hoof to do your job as you see fit. As long as we don’t order otherwise.”

“What she said,” the Princess of Friendship added in a friendly voice with nopony noticing her glare at the amber mare.

Sour Sweet bowed deeply, her calmer half came out again, “Of course, Your Highness. I believe Commander Hurricane himself said ‘We should not seek war, but we should be prepared to show our enemies why they should not have sought it.’”

She had a moderate rose mane, made in a ponytail of all things, with lighter moderate rose and grayish aquamarine streaks, moderate indigo colored eyes and the same grayish aquamarine as eyeshadow. Her fur was a pale, light grayish gold. Though her actual tail was smooth looking and similar to Sunset’s, just less curly.

One of the last remaining two pegasi flew in front of them and made the perfect salute, “Private Indigo Zap reports for duty! I am your mare if you need a pegasus for dangerous missions or a quick reconnaissance of a situation. Nopony is faster than me!” she announced with an ego rivaling Rainbow Dash.

This mare reminded Twilight way too much of that Lightning Dust character she once met a long time ago. At least her tricolored styled mane, in dark cornflower blue with moderate cerulean and moderate arctic blue, as well as her first impression did the job.

We have to make sure that she doesn’t share the same uncaring attitude if it comes to her supposed-to-be teammates and fellow ponies,” the youngest princess thought worriedly.

She trusted her father’s judgement, but safe was safe, “Following orders and succeeding with your mission is important, yes. But what do you think? Are you really able to handle everything on your own?”

The pegasus smiled confidently, “I am convinced that my fellow soldiers and I can handle ourselves and together we can achieve anything. I can’t speak for others, but I graduated here to make a difference. Helping the innocent and serving the crown is reward enough for me. Though I won’t complain if I can push myself even further to improve and to kick major flank.”

The alicorn relaxed, that sounded harmlessly enough.

Indigo Zap’s eyes were a brilliant gamboge, her Cutie Mark a yellow lightning bolt and her fur a moderate indigo. The tail as roughly made as her mane. From all guards she was the second tallest after Sour Sweet.

Now the most exotic pony of the septet, a thestral mare who looked like she would fall asleep at any second with a constant shift of attention. One moment her shoulders and head stood high, then she nearly stumbled forward from sleepiness.

Their first observation concerning the mare's appearance was certainly the fact that a white armor clashed terribly with her dark gray coat. Her mane was short and flat at the back, but styled upwards at the front, the tail medium long. Both colored in a dark persian blue with a streak of light grayish persian blue. Sharper formed eyes, slitted golden orbs and black leather wings on the back were a testimony to Princess Luna’s most ferocious servants of the night.

Twilight nearly giggled from anticipation. She never had the chance to talk with one of their kind. They were so fascinating! While all ponies were omnivores, only the thestrali and two other tribes supplemented a typical plant-based diet with meat. For pegasi it was the occasional fish, because their bodies needed a lot of proteins only meat could provide, while the thestrali took advantage of modern trade and ate a diverse variety of meat. And then there were the alicorns, but Twilight herself never consumed meat before.

Though Fluttershy refused to eat what was once a living being. From what she knew her friend was the only pegasus who didn’t follow the call of her body, what made itself known sometimes in her flight performance. She tried to counter the effects with nuts and other plants, but it wasn’t the real deal. Of course, she didn’t see it as a problem as she was uncommonly happy for a pegasus with remaining grounded.

Most theories and historical reports indicated that thestrali were a result of hundreds of years of evolution and the harsh circumstances the ancient pegasi had to live in, especially during the night. The sky wasn't as safe as most believed.

Sadly they were ostracized because of their appearance and more aggressive behaviour, meaning they didn't mind to resolve a conflict by battle. In response they forged an alliance, their own tribe, an own country. Thestrylvania in the mountains bordering Pegasopolis.

Twilight! Focus!” she admonished herself.

And then there was the urge to touch those adorable ears, they were bigger in comparison to the other tribes and extra fluffy around the top.

The thestral yawned cutely, tears decorating the corners of her eyes. Her voice was young and had the distinctive archaic and strong accent most of her kind still had, a holdover of their original homeland and culture, “Please forgive me. As you surely know, I am normally nocturnal.”

Sunset snorted at the dry complaint, “Good morning to you, too. You know it is already afternoon, right?”

Another yawn. “Exactly.” She squinted her eyes, “So much light, and how can you stand the heat during the summer? I mean, is this a day pony thing? Being cooked medium well? I don’t know how you can take the Sun Witch’s torture. No offense of course, I was just wondering and nopony has ever answered me my question to this day.”

Night Light shook his head. He had hoped that the hardened fronts between the ponies of day and night could be slowly shaken with this first of many steps.

A thestral in a guard not primarily connected to the realm of the night.

But it would take more time to overcome ancient differences. It was one of his main goals to build bridges when he was still an agent in Hollow Shades, the success was much more attainable than expected.

He knew she didn’t seriously mean it at all, but she was more an exception than the rule.

Sour Sweet and Indigo snickered quietly at her sense of humor. At least their sister in arms didn’t wear an enchanted blindfold any longer. Her eyes weren’t used to the sun at the beginning and needed their sweet time to adjust.

Twilight had the same difficulties, “I am certain that you are the perfect candidate for the night shifts.”

Her amber friend poked the now snoring thestral. “Wow. I think she just fell asleep on us.”

Night Light facehooved, positioned himself in front of the sleeping mare’s face and took a deep breath, “Private! If you don’t show your superiors the respect they deserve immediately I will make you do wing push-ups for one hour straight!”

The exotic pony squeaked and lowered her ears in shame. “I am eternally sorry, Sir! My family celebrated our graduation the whole night until dawn and I didn’t get much sleep, but I will accept any punishment! Of course that won’t excuse my behavior, but I just tend to be snappy when tired.”

Her new princess waved it off, “Don’t worry, I know the negative effects of all nighters better than most.” She ignored her father’s expression, “But what is your name?”

“Silent Glide, Your Highness. And I wish to serve you and Lady Shimmer with all my heart,” the thestral swore sincerely.

"How come? We will gladly accept your proclamation, but why do you want to be a part of our guard? You said it yourself, your kind is nocturnal," Twilight interviewed further.

Silent sighed in disappointment, "My kin is obsessed with tradition, for my family has been part of the Night Guard before the Night Mother’s banishment. So much has changed in that time, I think we should, too.” Her desire to be a guard of another ruler was a sensitive subject for her parents. “I am convinced that you two are the right ponies to follow. In fact I got my Cutie Mark during one of our training sessions in the middle of the day."

Sunset and Twilight blushed, it felt somehow special to receive such a compliment by her.

Lemon saw that as her cue to fangirl, "Since her eyes got used to the sun our buddy can see the smallest of details from what feels like everywhere!"

The Thestral's Cutie Mark consisted of two stars peeking over a cloud like a pair of watchful eyes.

“Alright, I think that-” Sunset started before she thought that something was missing, “Wait, wasn’t there another pony?”

“Are you sure?” Twilight inquired carefully. It felt like her mind wanted to scream at her for not noticing the obvious. But what?

Night Light, who observed their reactions silently to this moment, laughed at their cluelessness, “Alright, I think that is enough, please show yourself again.”

A seventh and final mare appeared suddenly like she decided to come back to life, the smallest and most innocent looking of all.

“What happened?! It was like I forgot she even existed!” the Princess of Friendship exclaimed in surprise.

The small Pegasus bowed in sincere remorse, “Please excuse my boldness, Your Highness. I didn’t want to cause you or Lady Shimmer any distress. It was just that Major Night Light asked me for a demonstration of my special ability beforehoof. I’m Private Wallflower Blush and I am a Windwalker,” she said in a soft voice.

Sunset and Twilight gasped. This meant that she was a pegasus with a higher affinity for the element of air! They only read about her kind in books, but she used their unique ability. On this way a Windwalker was able to camouflage his very being with the wind around his body and it made it very hard to remember such a pony even existed if you didn’t focus on him directly.

A quote of Star Swirl described this ability very well.

Trying to remember a Windwalker if he doesn’t want to be found is like trying to focus on a specific wind current with naked eyes. Their existence is literally gone with the wind and only training of the mind or a strong bond with the pegasus in question will lessen the effect.

Already Wallflower’s mane would give Rarity an aneurysm, it didn’t look bad or scruffy in the sense of the words, but it had a natural touch of morning bedmane in its style. Same with her tail, which just added to her personal charm and the unique moderate aquamarine was a pretty unmistakable color, too. She had additionally light greenish gray fur, grayish tangelo colored eyes and a Cutie Mark which symbolized the pegasus’ ability to become unnoticeable. Moderate sky blue wings, partly hidden by a white misty shroud.

“Wow, your training really paid off! About time, it was annoying to forget you every few weeks,” Sour Sweet commented in relief and annoyance.

Wallflower blushed, “Y-you have to thank Major Night Light for that.”

“Don’t sell yourself short Private, your dedication brought these results,” he stated as a matter of fact. Then Night Light saw the knowledge demanding faces of Sunset and Twilight. “Being a Windwalker isn’t something easily controlled. Ask your new guard.”

The small pegasus frowned, “It is like a curse in disguise in my opinion. Before I trained in the Hurricane Academy, I had no control about it. From my perspective, nothing ever changes in this state, I can still see myself, touch things or interact with the world around me like a normal pony.” She shivered a little, “I thought that everypony avoided me for the greatest part of my life and that something was seriously wrong with me, only my parents acted normal.”

“So you need to actively control it?” Twilight asked in sympathy.

Wallflower nodded sadly, “Yes, Your Highness.” The Princess of Friendship was about to correct the mare for using her title again, out of habit, but saw the shaking head of Sunset in time. “It was disturbing to witness how classmates I knew for years suddenly looked at me like we met for the first time in life, as if everything we did meant nothing to them. Or that even ponies I guided through the sights our land had to offer greeted me and asked if I was new. It’s not like you really know if you are a Windwalker or not.”

Though the green pegasus still wasn’t sure how it could be that this one mare always seemed to remember her if nopony else did. Well, when she took part in one of her expeditions or guiding tours. Flutter… something. Wallflower only heard her name a single time.

Still, it was just a hobby. Her prior job as a nature teacher only served as a workaround to earn bits so that she could pay the rent during her academy days.

It made her happy that she finally decided to follow her dream of becoming a healer, or ‘Life Surgeon’, as they were called. Her fear of being once more ignored or not accepted by her fellow equines was taken away to a degree by this kind mare who always told Wallflower to never give up.

Her second superior wasn’t convinced, “But didn’t it occur to you that your condition of not being noticeable had maybe a bigger reason behind it?” Sunset criticized mildly.

She gave an apologetic smile, “To be honest Milady? I didn’t know that Windwalker even existed. Flight School doesn’t cover a topic like this and only later I found out about it thanks to a doctor of the academy. They examined me throughly before I could even qualify for service and during this session he noticed that my mana was different from normal pegasi.”

He may have helped her immensely and she was truly grateful, but he was the rudest and grumpiest stallion she ever met in life. And all the painkillers Doctor Horse swallowed for some reason couldn’t be healthy either, bad leg or not.

“I took the Private in after I heard about her special condition to teach her mana control. It wasn’t acceptable for me that such a young mare suffered from something what should be considered a gift,” Night Light said before he glanced at a nearby sundial. “I have to go. Every decision from now on is up to Princess Twilight and Marquess Shimmer.”

He expected great things from all of them.

The herd of mares thanked the major for everything and said their goodbyes. He left with nostalgic thoughts on his mind, "Ahh, being young again with the wish to make the world a better place. Good old times before your passion wastes away to routine, hopefully they can maintain their level of motivation.” It was sad how many promising souls became dull and ended with a stick between their flanks.

When he was gone, eager eyes were switching constantly between Sunset Shimmer and Twilight Sparkle.

“Alright. First of all, we need a name, a good one. How your armor will look like can be decided at a later point from the both of us. Has somepony any ideas? And don’t worry about insulting our feelings, your opinion is valued, no matter what you say,” Sunset started the brain-storming.

“Really? But we are just soldiers, Milady,” Indigo answered in astonishment.

It was Twilight who smiled warmly, “Exactly, you are our first unit and should have a right to decide as well how you will be named from now on. It is only fair.”

“The ‘Shadowbolts’? I always found the costumes awesome!” Lemon Zest commented excitedly.

Silent Glide rolled her eyes. Only her sun adoring cousins would love it to wear skin tight suits. Perhaps it was a fetish?

Sour Sweet snorted in distaste, “Seriously? That sounds like the name of a band of chronically depressed teenagers.

The only alicorn of the group raised a hoof, “I have an idea. How about ‘Friendship Guard’?

Awkward silence.

After what felt like an eternity, Sugarcoat voiced her uncensored opinion without a hint of judgement, “Sure, Your Highness. If you want us to be the laughing stock of Equestria and beyond we can go for it.”

Sunset, Silent, Indigo and Lemon had to stop themselves from laughing at Twilight’s expression of pure indignation.

Sunny Flare clicked with her tongue, “I think we should take another approach. The Night Guard serves Princess Luna and the Solar Guard serves Princess Celestia, so why don’t we choose a name related to something Princess Twilight and Lady Shimmer are connected to? Perhaps the Magic Guard? Or the Arcane Guard?”

Sunset shook her head in denial, “No, that sounds way too corny and predictable, sorry. But thanks regardless.”

Cawing sounds came suddenly from above, where a certain phoenix roosted atop the pavillion and was listening in the whole time.

The majestic bird’s foalhood friend was almost disappointed, “Phila, that was weak and just sad. You can do better.”

“What did she say?” Twilight wanted to know.

The seven guards were stunned meanwhile, because their new boss could talk to a phoenix.

“That we should call our troop the ‘Phoenix Guard’,” Sunset replied with rolling eyes.

Though what she didn’t know, the other mares had another opinion entirely.

“Dude! It’s fantastic!” Lemon exclaimed enthusiastically, thanking the avian bundle of flames.

“It just sounds marvelous! And a name you can live with,” Sour Sweet added with a shrug.

“It can only get worse. We should take the name before it gets too cringy,” Sugarcoat said dryly.

“I think I like the name very much. A phoenix is a wonderful being and stands for strength and wisdom,” Wallflower Blush gave to consider calmly.

Philomena pushed her chest out in pride and cawed loudly in agreement as one would expect.

“Oh yeah! Wait until my sister hears about it. Misty Fly will burst from envy!” Indigo Zap supported with a smirk.

“I concur with Private Wallflower, the attributes which are normally connected to such a noble creature are characteristics we should strive for,” Sunny Flare elucidated empurpledly.

Silent Glide yawned behind her hoof, "Fine by me."

Lastly Twilight added, “A phoenix’s life cycle consists of the repeated rebirth from its own ashes. A spark that will never be extinguished under ordinary circumstances. It reminds me of the Elements of Harmony, a spark of true friendship was needed to make them work and I would like our guard to be a force that helps others with their problems and doesn’t give up.”

Sunset surrendered with a sigh, “OK, I yield.” She could accept her friend’s idea. “We have enough military related regiments which are only active in times of strife, a change of pace sounds good.”

It wasn’t like she hated the name, but it was a matter of pride for the amber unicorn. By who the idea was coming from worried her more to be precise. The others didn’t know this phoenix as well as she did, you didn’t just accept her suggestions, you just didn’t. Her self-confidence would only grow exponentially.

Well, look at that. Seems you are outvoted by your own new followers and the alicorn, but don't be sad Sunny. I’m simply superior to you, always was, always am, always will be,” Philomena said with a playfully mocking tone.

Not that anypony could understand her except Sunset anyway, who had to contain herself from responding. There was one thing they competed in with each other since their youngest days, being snarky without ever being spiteful and always having a retort on your tongue. The art of wits.

And this cursed bird just landed a score.


Cadence sat upon her cushioned throne and took a deep breath. “It feels good to be home again. And I appreciate that you want to inform me immediately about recent development so soon, but I would prefer to keep our conversation short if you don’t mind. I have very trying days behind me and need to retire, majordomo.”

In truth she only wanted to see her Shiny and telling him about the newest developments.

Majordomo Ruby Eyes bowed in respect, “Your Grace, I understand that you must be tired, but I implore you to hear me out concerning this matter. You should know that your husband, the prince, invited foreign dignitaries to stay in the Crystal Palace’s guest quarters until they could meet you. Though I have to admit that they seem… too young for diplomats and I never saw their kind before.”

The Princess of Love smiled soothingly at her trusty assistant’s concerned expression, “I take your words into consideration. Now please, tell me about them and I will see to the appropriate course of action.”

Ruby Eyes was relieved to know that he could count on his empress.


“My Prince, what are you doing under your bed?” asked a crystal guard who was ordered to inform Shining Armor about his wife’s return. “Princess Cadence is in the throne room. Don’t you want to greet her?”

Shining left his safe haven in an instant and coughed loudly as if he didn’t know what she was talking about, “O-oh! I didn't know you were here Bright Coat. I just... checked if the maid did her job well enough. Yes, that was it. And she passed.”

The crystalline looking mare could only blink at this fabricated and most importantly bad lie, “Sir, is everything alright?”

Her ruler laughed falsely, “Of course it is!”

SHINING ARMOR!” echoed the outraged scream of the Crystal Empress through the entire castle, the walls vibrated a little, and the guard folded her ears down with a wince.

The stallion in question tried his best to appear calm, but the Royal Canterlot Voice combined with his name couldn’t end well for him. A new strategy had to be taken.

Suddenly he gave Bright Coat a sealed envelope, his expression spoke of greatest importance and grim acceptance. “Soldier, hear my last orders. Give this to my parents, tell them that I want to be buried with my comic collection, especially my signed first edition of Captain Equestria. But most importantly, keep my sister safe and protect her innocence with your life. Stallions and colts can’t be trusted with their filthy thoughts and impure intentions.”

The Crystal Guard had absolutely no clue what was happening right now, “Come again… my prince?”

Before he could explain further the door to his room was nearly ripped off by the used amount of force.

“Where are they?!” Cadence demanded to know. Her narrowed eyes promised a great portion of ‘tough love’ for everypony involved.

And not the kind one would desire.

Their by now ignored guard switched her attention between the cowering, but usually so brave stallion and pink rage incarnated. Whatever happened, it was clearly something above her pay grade.

Craziness seemed to run in this family. She heard many rumors about the Princess of Friendship involving her obsessions and questionable decisions when under the pressure of a schedule, but Twilight Sparkle’s brother wasn’t much better in the end.

Author's Note:

Edited version uploaded: 05/25/18
Proofreader: Javarod

Greetings my avid readers! :twilightsmile:

I hope you enjoyed the chapter.

Henceforth Ponyville and Canterlot were never the same again. Rumors said that Philomena gloated about her small victory for years to come.

And yes, the humans will come back again next chapter, as many already asked me in a pm. I hope this bit of informtion will calm your restless minds. :raritywink:

Thank you very much for reading and stay tuned! :moustache: