• Published 12th Jul 2017
  • 20,207 Views, 1,023 Comments

Dawn - Anachronon



Redemption had to be earned, Sunset Shimmer knew that. But how could everything go so wrong? Who was this "Anon-a-Miss"? Nobody believed her, all abandoned her. What would be left for her? A certain draconequus was witness and decided to intervene.

  • ...
61
 1,023
 20,207

Chapter 1 - Lost

Discord sighed in boredom. Normally that wouldn't be the case, because the draconequus could just spread a little bit of chaos here and there. Pony friendly and censored chaos, to be precise, but chaos nonetheless! He was the Lord of Chaos, after all.

"Fluttershy was the only one who forgave me for what happened," Discord muttered to himself and pouted... not that there was anypony to see it.

He was, at the moment, in his own dimension. At home. Home, where there was everything a respectable Spirit of Chaos could wish for. A garden where plants grew upside-down, and cats and dogs lived together. A place where rabbits made of cotton candy ran around and butterflies of the finest butter, none of that artificial stuff, flew through a sky that was an eternal vortex of chaotic energy where nothing made sense. No laws of physics, no order, no rules.

Yes, it was a cozy home indeed.

Then that... debacle with Tirek happened. Not his proudest moment, Discord had to admit. To think he nearly lost Fluttershy, because he fell for his tricks! What was he, a stupid class C villain? Ridiculous! The thought alone made him see red.

To prove his point Discord snapped his claws and his eyes were hidden behind a pair of giant, goofy-looking red glasses.

As punishment for his alliance with the newly banished centaur he was put on probation. Again. The God of Chaos was forbidden from using his magic for even the smallest of jokes or creating any mischief for two whole weeks.

For two weeks he had to behave! The horror was unspeakable! That was like being imprisoned in stone again! No, worse! Moonbutt, Heartbutt, Sunbutt and Starbutt were just plain cruel, in his opinion.

Well, at least he could still enjoy his weekly tea every Thursday with his bestest of friends, Fluttershy. What would Discord just do without the yellow colored Pegasus? She was the only Pony in the moment who remotely trusted him after his little betrayal.

He would never admit it to anypony, but It was a miracle.

"Fluttershy. You are truly the best pony!" Discord shouted into the void after he opened the door. The echoes of the word ‘pony’ added a dramatic effect.

Now that he thought about it, he should maybe give these mail ponies more credit as well. The draconequus was sure that he never created any entrances into his dimension. So how were they able to access it and deliver letters to him? Another mystery to be solved and much more important, something that made no sense.

Discord shed tears in a very cartoony manner, feeling happy. Take that, Order! Maybe he should promote, in his never ending battle against ‘making sense’, Pinkie Pie to his second-in-command? She had certainly the necessary craziness. Sometimes he wondered if the pink equine was secretly another draconequus in disguise. He tested it once, but she was 100% Earth Pony, sadly. A reality-bending, physics ignoring, hilariously behaving and very deformable one, but a pony nonetheless.

"GAH! What can I do?! I can't create any form of wonderful chaos on Equestrian ground as long as I'm on probation!" No, he wouldn't disappoint Fluttershy ever again. Breaking the rules was no option. "That calls for an emergency brainstorming with the experts!" he announced dramatically.

Discord snapped the fingers of his paw and his entire head flew literally into a giant storm cloud that suddenly popped into existence.

Bolts of lightning could be seen, illuminating the cloud from within, discharging their power into the center itself.

After a few seconds, Discord's head came back down unharmed and attached itself to the simply with crossed arms waiting body again.

"Something smells burned here, and it's not my doing." He looked up and saw that his left horn was on fire. "Oh..." The flames were instantly gone.

Four more Discords appeared in front of the original, all wearing lab coats and glasses to look more intelligent with clipboards and pencils at the ready.

"Gentleman, what are your professional opinions? What can I do to escape this boredom?" the original asked, quite seriously.

Copy 1 cleared his throat, "The analysis ended with the result that you messed up on a scale that it isn't funny anymore. I think you should lay low and simply obey Celestia's," he gagged, "orders. Otherwise, you could risk that Fluttershy gets the impression we didn't want to improve at all. Which could lead to the worst case scenario." Copy 1 looked horrified at the original, "No more tea parties with Fluttershy."

All other Discords in the room gasped in sincere shock. Copy 3 even mock-fainted.

Original Discord played with his goatee, "I see. My situation is truly dire. Who's next?"

Copy 2 raised a claw and grinned evilly, "Maybe you could cause chaos somewhere else? Beyond Equestria. The princesses only decided that you were forbidden from doing it there. They never said something about other places."

The original rolled his eyes and snapped his fingers, Clone 2 exploded into confetti. A sound was heard, resembling Pinkie Pie's party cannon. "Has anyone else such a brilliant idea?" he asked his remaining clones with thick sarcasm. "The moment Tia even gets a hunch that I may try something to undermine her I'm doomed! It will just end with another, most likely much longer and more boring penalty."

Copy 3 stood again and suggested with a posh accent, "Perhaps, old chap, you could use your powers for good and help the ponies. There is still a lot of damage left behind by that brute, Tirek. You could rebuild everything with a snap of your claws."

The original looked positively disgusted, "You mean I should w-w-wor- you know what I mean. That's blasphemy! How can you come up with something like that?!"

"I'm a part of you, so-"

"NO! And that's final! If I start to help these ponies with my abilities they will never stop annoying me and ask for help with every little thing. Why wait for a home to be finished after weeks or months of construction if you could just ask the God of Chaos for help to do it with a snap of his fingers? Why go to the doctor if Discord can just take your cold away in a blink of an eye? Nope! Such things are beneath my status and besides-" The original summoned a religious cross into his lion paw and chanted like a mad priest, "May the non-existent rules of chaos compel you! Get thee hence, abomination of logic!"

Copy 3 gave his creator a deadpan stare, "Are you serious? If I'm some sort of abomination, then so are you. I AM you."

Original Discord grumbled, "Sometimes I hate it that I'm always right. But no, thank you, me." He looked at Copy 4.

Shuffling his feet and looking a bit nervous as he looked away, the remaining Discord was a little clueless and shrugged his shoulders helplessly. "Err... maybe you could just watch again what is going on in the human world at the moment. You know, checking on Celestia's former student or browsing the internet."

"Of course! I'm a genius! Why, thank you, me. You just saved me from suffering more boredom." With another snap, all copies exploded into confetti with the related sound.

When he heard about this ‘strange and scary mirror dimension’, as his best friend Fluttershy described it, during one of their weekly meetings after Starbutt's return his interest was sparked immediately. So he looked at the portal when nopony was awake, remembered and analyzed the magical matrices concerning the mirror and its enchantments and created a connection for himself to the human world to look how it was like over there.

Dimensional barriers were overrated anyway.

Discord had rarely felt this happy before in his existence. These humans were beautifully chaotic and entertaining. So much mayhem and disorder!

He had to confess, sometimes it was concerning what he found out about them. And that they were particularly eager to use lethal violence as a solution was just plain boring.

Well, whatever. It wasn't his business what they were doing in their free time. When in Neighico... or however this human idiom worked.

In other words, a God of Chaos was practically jobless on Earth.

And then there was the aforementioned internet. An abyss of insanity like no other, so that even such a dashing and fearless being like himself was sometimes horrified. Where things could be found which would turn the hardest dragon into a sobbing mess. The imagination of a human was truly horrifying and fascinating at the same time. The draconequus lost count how many times he found himself again on the dark side of Haytube. Did he get at least that human idiom right? Discord certainly hoped so.

The Spirit of Chaos remembered well how he laughed so hard that his body fell literally apart when he saw how Lulu's and Tia's counterparts were mere principals of a high school. Of course, he never told anypony about it. The equines would just ruin his fun or get the preposterous idea that he would try to endanger the humans for his amusement.

Amateurs.

He was the God of Chaos, not the God of Evil. Fun was his ambiance, and besides, who could be this mad and not trust someone as trustworthy as him? Discord was the most trustworthy pal a pony could ever wish for!

And then there were the counterparts of the Element Bearers.

The, as always, hot headed Rainbow Dash with the need to be ‘awesome’. A typical athlete who liked to live on the edge.

The country bumpkin Applejack. Discord never knew that one single person could fill so many cliches about her own occupation.

His second favorite human counterpart, Pinkie Pie. As random as he expected.

The fashionista, Rarity. A drama queen; enough said.

Next came, obviously, his favorite, human Fluttershy. He always played with the thought of inviting her to Equestria and having tea with both Fluttershys at once.

But then Discord had to give up swiftly on this plan when he thought about it a little more. For one, it was too risky. When he pulled over the human Fluttershy his own Fluttershy would instantly tell the Princess of Books about it and she would immediately tell Cakeflank by extension.

Only trouble would come out of that for him.

The other problem was that human Fluttershy was an animal lover to the fullest and humans seemed to adore everything that could be defined as ‘cute’ or ‘adorable’. From what he gathered, human Fluttershy could get a stroke from seeing a small living talking pegasus pony or she would never want to leave anymore just so that the girl could cuddle all Equestrians into submission...

He kept this thought in the back of his mind as a Plan B.

Lastly, Sunset Shimmer. The former student of Celestia and a fellow former villain. Huh, maybe they could found a Reformation Club? And he would invite Fluttershy of course, as the mascot.

He saw live how everything played out during this ‘Battle of the Bands’.

A draconequus had his ways.

Discord always knew that Star Swirl was a naive fool. Banishing sirens, of all beings, to another world?

And Sunset Shimmer had it rough. Humans weren't as nice and forgiving as ponies. Not by a long shot, from everything he saw. He felt a little bad for the girl when he saw what her fellow students did to her in order to settle the score. Damage of property and name calling were the daily routines for the unicorn in disguise after the, what was it called? Ah, yes! Fall Formal. He nearly felt the need to do something about it. It was scary.

But in time all this nonsense abated and after the little stand off with the sirens it should be fine. As a former villain himself, he totally got Sunset Shimmer. He knew how it was to be hated by others.

A rift in reality opened on Discord's command, only visible from his side alone, connecting his dimension with the human world. It was time to fight his boredom!

"That should be fun." He laughed maniacally.


Sunset Shimmer was never this devastated before in her life. How could everything have gone to Tartarus this fast? Her best friends looked disapprovingly at the accused girl in common disgust and betrayal. And not only them, all students in the hallway gave the impression as if they tried to break her with hateful glares alone.

"No, it wasn't me! Let me explain!" the former hero of the Battle of the Bands pleaded pathetically.

Rarity sighed in exhaustion, this girl was giving her a headache. "What is there to explain? Darling, I'm sure we can somehow work through this, even though you don't deserve it. But you just make it worse when you continue with this farce. We can go to Principal Celestia's office together if you want and tell her that you are behind everything."

Fluttershy was unsure of what to do, but decided to give it a last try. "Take your time. We still have half an hour left before the break is over," she reminded softly.

Sunset Shimmer fell to her knees in frustration. What could she say to make them understand? It was like the sentence was already spoken, no matter what the teenager said. "What can I do?!"

This had to be the first time in her life that she felt truly alone. No, wait, Sunset just remembered regretfully that it happened once already. The only other situation when her confidence, happiness, and pride were truly shattered.

The day when Princess Celestia dismissed the unicorn-turned-human as her personal student.

The one pony who picked her up when Sunset was a little filly. Who cared for her whenever she was sick, no matter what royal duties had to be done. Her personal assistant, Raven Quill, was simply ordered to reschedule everything until Sunset felt better. No birthday passed without receiving love and attention.

Sadly, with time she became prideful, arrogant and saw herself as somepony above all others, taking everything for granted. She justified her pitiful actions with being ‘the next princess of Equestria’, in her mind.

No two ways about it, her former self was truly a brat.

It only became worse when Princess Celestia showed her this accursed mirror where Sunset saw her reflection, changed to show her greatest desire; Becoming an Alicorn, a princess. Of course, the magical protégé evaluated it as fate at the time, completely ignoring all attempts of her teacher trying to talk Sunset out of the idea of becoming a ruler by force. No, she became obsessed with the mirror portal. She searched through the forbidden section of the Royal Library in Canterlot and didn't even stop when it came down to reading books about what was considered ‘Dark Magic’ in Equestria. All for the one goal of growing wings on her back.

Yep, Princess Celestia had all reason to kick her back into the streets.

"Shimmer! Stop ignoring us!" Rainbow shouted angrily while shoving Sunset with both hands, forcing aforementioned teenager to fall on her bottom.

Her wounded pride wouldn't stand for such treatment, a soft growl escaping her throat, "Don't you get it? I'm innocent!"

One of the many bystanders scoffed mockingly, "Of course you are. Did you already forget about everything you did during the last years?"

Sunset looked down in shame and self-loathing. How could she? She blackmailed, destroyed friendships and spread ugly rumors as long as the humans ‘opposing’ her, teacher and student alike, were taken care of. There could only be one Queen Bee at CHS and she did many spiteful things to obtain and defend this position for years.

Pinkie Pie stared uncomfortably at the sitting redhead, "Was our friendship nothing more than a bad joke to you?"

At first, the humanized unicorn wasn't sure if the Rainbooms seriously decided to befriend her, because they wanted to do it on their own, out of pity, or because Princess Twilight asked them to do it. They all became friends in the following months and the girls supported Sunset when someone tried to bully her as payback for what she did to them. It was fine for her, really; she deserved it.

But these five would have none of it and defended the former bully.

The same could be said about Principal Celestia, who threatened to punish anyone who destroyed her things in the aftermath. Well, always having to replace school books and repairing or cleaning her locker wasn't cheap.

For the first time since she left Equestria Sunset felt like she could truly belong somewhere. Though when it all started it was like after the Fall Formal all over again. Yes, with her best friends at her side it should all be fine. Indeed, the Magic of Friendship would help them to pull through the incident. Her friends, her family, they would never leave her.

Or so Sunset thought in all her stupidity, now she knew better. The venomous and disappointed glares aimed at her person in this very moment revealed the truth.

The one responsible started to post secrets of CHS' students shortly after the Battle of the Bands and after the first few posts, students started to point their fingers at her. Saying that the account could only be hers, because nobody else knew so many secrets of the others, except the former bully herself. It didn't really help her case that the account was designed in colors and with symbols like her well-known Cutie Mark, what practically screamed that it had to be her.

An obvious attempt of framing her, but for some reason nobody seemed to see through it. She balled her fists, eyes glistening from the sheer amount of injustice.

"Stop it with the crocodile tears! You can't fool anyone with your false act!" another, female student shouted in the background.

Sunset calmed down a little and looked up at her saviors, the humans who rescued her from her own ambitions and darkness, hopefully.

Pinkie's hair was nearly flat, her eyes narrowed, the voice uncharacteristically hostile. "Have you already forgotten what we did for you? We just wanted to make you smile, show you that you weren't alone and you throw everything back in our faces like the biggest party pooper in the history of party poopers!"

Sunset sobbed silently on all fours and put her forehead on the cold floor. How could she ever forget?

Christmas announced itself around the corner. An alternative human holiday to Equestria's Hearth's Warming Eve. The festival for family and friends.

Well, when you had a place where it was possible to celebrate it at least.

Sunset remembered how she barely made it through the winters or always had to avoid her friends, searching for an excuse when they asked if the group could have the next sleepover at her place.

They could call it pride. Still, she was many things, but she was no freeloader, nor did she need pity. So the teenager kept her poor living conditions a secret solely known by her alone.

Without thinking about it, the fiery haired girl let it slip that she never had anyone over the holidays since she started to live in the human world. The others came up with a sleepover marathon to show her that they were truly there for Sunset. It felt good to know that there were people who cared sincerely for her. It was... wonderful. It made her feel loved. The last time she felt like that was as a filly under Princess Celestia's warm wings, her moth-mentor.

It started with Pinkie Pie and a day later at Rarity's place. Despite Anon-a-Miss, nothing could ruin her fantastic mood.

Then the next day came and the world Sunset learned to love and cherish stopped existing. The humans who she started to see as a new family turned on her, accusing her of being Anon-a-Miss. Like the rest of the school did already for a long time now.

But the moment the secrets of her friends were spilled as well they were immediately very sure that only she could be responsible. As the only person in their circle who knew about them and possessed the ‘ill-will’ to do such a thing. The once greatest bully in the history of CHS.

They confronted her that morning and demanded to know why she did it, that she should confess being responsible for all the published secrets.

Sunset was pleading, with copious amounts of tears, that they had to listen to her. That she wasn't this ‘Anon-a-Miss’. Her friends didn't believe her in the slightest and told her bluntly to come back when she finally realized what damage she had caused to their friendship.

There had to be another logical explanation! But what? Who framed her? Not ready to surrender, she asked them all to meet her in front of her locker in order to convince them that she was innocent.

Sunset Shimmer never begged before in her entire life, but there was a first time for everything. Here she was, the once proud unicorn, master of the arts of magic. Crying like a little girl.

"Are ya done? Ya DO know that the break's nearly over, rig't?" Applejack informed in disinterest. She wasn't sure what this dirty liar was planning, but she wouldn't fall for it in the slightest.

As if in confirmation, the bell signaled that the classes started and they just... left her. Sunset looked after her leaving fr-

Were they even still her friends after the hurtful things they said to her? She couldn't tell any more. "Why don't they want to believe me?! And why doesn't Princess Twilight even answer any more?!" she exclaimed in frustration and despair, mostly to herself.

But she wasn't alone.

"Isn't it obvious? Even Twilight Sparkle finally realized what a waste of space you are."

This voice. Of course. Karma really hated her.

The red and yellow haired girl sighed in exhaustion, feeling emotionally drained. "What do you want, Trixie?"

Mentioned girl laughed arrogantly in response, "What's the matter, Shimmer? Are you mad that the Rainbooms no longer want to protect someone as worthless as you? The Great and Powerful TRIIIXXIIEE just came to see what was causing all this commotion and Trixie must say she likes what she sees. Finally, little Sunset Shimmer no longer has her little guardians at her side and can feel for herself what it's like to be ridiculed."

She pushed forcefully her forehead against Sunset's. "Do you know what you did to me?! After you posted Trixie's secret, nobody wanted to see her magic shows any longer! You probably ruined my chances of a future as a stage magician. Confess, Anon-a-Miss!"

The teenager was so angry that the silver-haired student slipped in her persona.

Sunset wouldn't grant Trixie the satisfaction of backing down and pushed back. "How many times do I have to say it?! I am NOT Anon-a-Miss! And I never will be!"

The rest of the students looked hatefully in her direction, as it was the case with Trixie, “Y-you witch! How dare you play innocent if the entire school already knows that you are behind this!"

The unicorn-turned-human could only grin at her small victory and replied in a pitying tone, "What's the matter? Are you mad, because you can't win against me in a battle of wits and have to lower your level more than usual to attack me? Using petty insults? How surprising." Sunset knew that was a little mean, but this show-off had it coming!

It felt good that she could finally let off some steam. This whole Anon-a-Miss business destroyed everything for her.

"So you find it funny to post other people's' secrets and have still the guts to lie to our faces about it?!" Trixie yelled after her supposed to be victim.

The confident feeling girl wanted to turn around to tell this wanna-be bully off only to end up on the floor, completely being caught off-guard by such a turn of events. And why did her head hurt?

"Haha! The Great and Powerful Trixie has bested you! Feel the tremendous power of her backpack!" Trixie gloated.

Seriously?! She resorted to violence, because she couldn't win with words?! "Just how pathetic are y-OOF!" Before she could finish, Sunset was on the ground anew. But this time because of a hit in her gut.

"That's for what you have done to me! Because of you, Silver Spoon won't talk to me anymore! Just because you HAD to post my private conversation with another person, didn't you?! I said that insult about her family as a stupid excuse, because the boy I talked with wouldn't stop insulting me! I was angry and told him how Silver's family would be much worse than mine without thinking! To get him off my case. You cost me my best friend, you bitch!" Diamond Tiara cursed loudly, her fist and arm still at the position where Sunset's center was but a moment ago.

Normally, most would gasp in shock at such strong language in school, but there were only a few other students except the busy trio. All looked down at Sunset Shimmer in disgust until everybody left for their own class before they were in trouble.

A heavily breathing Sunset Shimmer was trying to stop herself from vomiting on the floor. She never expected that a young human could have such a strong punch when angered. Now she knew.


The next two days were torture for her soul and body. It was already public knowledge that her friends abandoned her. Or in the students' opinion, finally saw reason and understood that Sunset Shimmer could never be trusted; Once a bully, always a bully. Without her friends at her side hunting season was opened and the teenager was the prey.

There was no redemption.

No second chance.

No friends.

No hope.

Someone like her shouldn't receive any mercy, it was finally time for payback. Not only was she called names and insulted in ways that even the hardest pony would blush at, or her locker destroyed with everything in it, but many tripped her, laughed openly at the girl's misery or even hit Sunset when no teacher was in sight. Of course, many students saw it, but nobody lifted a single finger to aid her.

There were only mocking smiles and vengeful thoughts.

At least nobody tried to seriously harm her until now, but the bruise under her knee told otherwise. She fell painfully hard on it after Rover tripped her.

Sunset Shimmer could do nothing more than limping to the last safe haven in this cruel world. Her little home. It was so cold... Sunset did her best to stay warm, but without any income or possibility of creating heat, it was a challenge.

She took, like nearly every night since Anon-a-Miss started to post secrets, her journal into her hands and thought what she would write to the princess this time.

Sunset felt despair. Had Princess Twilight given up on her as well? What if-no! She couldn't surrender yet. Maybe her royal duties were stopping her from responding?

She sighed with a shaking head and started to write.

Dear Princess Twilight,

I have no idea why you don't answer any of my letters anymore. Do you hate me as well? Did I offend you somehow? Do I annoy you with my questions for help and pleas for advice? I just can't take it anymore! I thought of them as friends and they abandoned me, like everybody else already did. Even Principal Celestia and Vice-Principal Luna are unsure how to handle the situation and show me the cold shoulder these last days.

Chewing on her pen distracted Sunset, a bad habit, surely. But it helped her to concentrate.

What would you do in my place? Well, probably trying to talk with them again, I guess. OK, I'll ask them to meet me at Sugarcube Corner to talk about everything. I hope they'll finally understand that it wasn't me. I know they feel hurt, because this Anon-a-Miss started to publish secrets about them as well. I can understand that they came to the conclusion that I'm the one responsible. I mean, I'm the only one in our circle of friends who was known for using such tactics in her past. But I did nothing like that, I swear! Even at my worst, I drew a line at some point! Some leaked secrets already ruined some students' reputations and social lives without any chance of returning, because their parents read about it or now former friends. So many destroyed friendships, even my former self didn't cause so much damage.

I'm scared, Twilight. I don't know what to do anymore. The girls were always my safety line since the Fall Formal. They stood at my side and tried to befriend me. No matter how stubborn I behaved. But now... are we really friends anymore? They don't even try to see it from my perspective and all jumped aboard the ‘Burn-Sunset-Shimmer-at-the-stake’ bandwagon.

Sunset cringed, it sounded so pathetic. But she wasn't in the mood to pretend that she was fine any longer.

Alright, it's not that bad, but you know what I mean, right? How can they be my friends when they hate me so much? How can they be my friends when they don't even think of the possibility that it wasn't me in the first place? That someone tried to frame me?

The teenager shook her head in denial. No! There had to be a way!

I'll try it one last time. I can't give up on them just yet, I just can't. They are everything I have here. Without them, what is left for me?

The students of CHS are trying their best to take revenge for everything I have ever done to them and the teachers stay out of it. It's funny, you know? I thought after the Battle of the Bands that I was forgiven, that I earned my redemption, that other people would finally start to accept me and acknowledge how I became a better person since you saved me from myself. I guess I was wrong.

I hope this message will reach you. Twilight, I need you. I have to know if at least you still care about me.

Yours faithfully,

Sunset Shimmer.

Sunset read once more through all the messages she wrote to the princess since this whole mess started. Only now she saw that her latest letter was partly wetted by her tears. Great, she turned into a wimp. The unicorn-turned-human didn't remember the last time when she shed so many tears as was the case in the last few days.

"Please girls, you have to believe me..." she mumbled heartbroken into her pillow.

Author's Note:

Edited version uploaded: 03/11/18
Proofreader: Javarod

Greetings my avid readers! :twilightsmile:

I hope you enjoyed the chapter.

'Dawn' is my second story. :yay:

And to all who read and know my other story: Don't worry.
I didn't write this story and stopped suddenly with 'The Secrets of Equestria'.

I just wanted to write on something else for a change of pace and I always liked reading all the different Anon-a-Miss fics. So I decided to try it our for myself.

Thank you very much for reading and stay tuned! :moustache: