• Published 29th May 2017
  • 3,568 Views, 284 Comments

The Shadowbolts Adventures - DragonShadow



The continuing adventures of the Crystal Prep Shadowbolts as they and their friends deal with life, love, magic, and adventure.

  • ...
3
 284
 3,568

Prank Wars Part 05

Pop.

Pop.

Pop.

One by one Sour Sweet's needle punctured the balloons, which fluttered into the basket held out by her left hand. Three more animals met their grizzly end the same way moments later as she moved through the music room. She couldn't believe somebody had managed to slip these stupid things into every single room of Crystal Prep, besides the ones that were locked. It occurred to her that Cinch could probably check security and see who did it... but she was Cinch. She didn't care who really did it.

The next few balloons met a particularly vicious stabby end.

Sour Sweet glanced over her shoulder curiously when she heard the door open. Sonata Dusk grew a wide, lopsided grin on her lips the moment she spotted Sour alone on the room, and darted in without a moment's hesitation to rush up to her with a paper flapping in her left hand.

"Hm?" Sour Sweet turned on her friend curiously. "What is it? I have a lot of balloons to pop and-holy crap!" Sour Sweet's eyes widened when Sonata held the paper up in front of her face. It was the most beautiful thing she had ever seen drawn in Crayola marker. It was a flower of several different shades all blended together with meticulous care. The flower was surrounded by scenery of a bright, grass and flower-filled meadow complete with shadows from the pulsing, violently fiery sun and the white and grey clouds hovering over the distance, which themselves were casting shadows across the grass.

Sour Sweet was dumbstruck for several long minutes. "I've never seen anything like this... how did you do it?"

Sonata seemed to barely be restraining her giggles as she responded swiftly with her hands, in the sign language Sour had been teaching her since they met. [I have been practicing drawing for a long time. I love drawing].

"Dang, I had no idea. That's really cool." Sour Sweet looked her friend in the eyes with a smile tugging at her frowny cheeks. "Is this for me...?" Sonata nodded so vigorously her ponytail almost slapped herself in the forehead. "Sonata, that's... mnnngh!" Sour Sweet yanked her friend into a tight hug that smashed the picture between them. "Thank you!"

Sonata hugged her back until the hug finally fell away. Sour Sweet caught the picture before it could fall to the floor, and set it down on the grand piano for later retrieval, surprised at how relaxed she suddenly felt after the morning's difficult turn of events. "You don't know how good this makes me feel... but it doesn't mean I don't have a bunch of stupid crap to deal with."

[What is wrong] Sonata asked with a worried frown on her face.

"If I don't pop all of these balloons by the end of the day I'm gonna get detention." Sour Sweet growled. "I didn't even blow up any of these stupid balloons, the stupid CHS jerks did..."

[I can help] Sonata signed instantly.

"Hey, no way, I couldn't ask you to-" Sour Sweet tried to protest, but Sonata was already pushing her way into Sour Sweet's pocket and pulling out one of her spare needles. She held it up and poked one of the balloons vigorously, causing it to burst and plop to the tile like a wet pile of noodles.

Sour Sweet couldn't wipe the smile from her lips. "Heh... well, if you want to, I guess I can't stop you."

The mass murder of rubbery animals continued for some time, with the two girls laughing and giggling as they made a game of each trying to pop more than the other. The trickle of stretchy flesh into Sour Sweet's basket was swift and merciless.

"Hey, um..." A voice suddenly interrupted the two girls, who turned to find Lemon Zest approaching them with a nervous smile on her lips. "Sour Sweet? Can we talk?"

"Sure." Sour Sweet turned towards her with her back straight and a bright smile on her lips. "What's up, Lemon?"

Lemon Zest took a deep, calming breath before she spoke. "Sour Sweet, I really think you should consider leaving CHS alone."

"Oh, sure, yeah," Sour Sweet replied.

"I mean it's just a... um... what?" Lemon Zest blinked in surprise.

"Eh, those jerks aren't worth it. I have better things to do with my time." Sour Sweet's good mood felt so unbreakable she was swaying back and forth between her heel and her toes.

The utterly blank look on Lemon Zest's was so adorable she couldn't resist pulling Lemon Zest into a reassuring hug and kissing her cheek. "You need to relax, you're gonna get old and wrinkly worrying so much."

"Uh... right..." Lemon squeaked.

"Now come on, there are more balloons to destroy!" Sour Sweet listed her needle and whirled back to Sonata, who stood at swift attention with her right hand in a salute and her left hand holding her needle in front of her like an offering. "You better not have slain any enemies when I wasn't looking! Now let's go!" Sour and Sonata resumed their assault, while Lemon Zest just stared after the two of them with a blank, dumbfounded look on her face.