• Published 29th May 2017
  • 3,566 Views, 284 Comments

The Shadowbolts Adventures - DragonShadow



The continuing adventures of the Crystal Prep Shadowbolts as they and their friends deal with life, love, magic, and adventure.

  • ...
3
 284
 3,566

Homesick Part 06

Celestia's sun had drifted just beyond the horizon by the time Sunset Shimmer emerged from the train station with Aria floating beside her like a sentient party balloon. The rest of the ponies piled out around them, chattering among themselves as they rushed to meet friends and family, or made their way towards the hotels for their first night in Canterlot. Sunset just stood in place on the grass outside the station, looking out across the city that had felt so distant for the last several years, and yet now flooded back into her memory as if she had never left.

The sight of the train station was one she'd seen often enough, growing up. Her parents were always dragging her off to resort towns. She never had any interest in skiing, sunning, or whatever else they would do on vacation. She just did the same thing she did at home: stay in her room with her books.

"At least some things don't change." Aria's voice called her suddenly back to the present. There were several unicorns marching past them, turning their noses into the air as they neared the pair and marching on in silence until they thought they were out of earshot. "Canterlot unicorns still wear their dicks on their foreheads."

Sunset Shimmer smirked. "Present company excepted, right?"

Aria pursed her lips. "Eh, jury's still out on that one."

Sunset Shimmer shook her head with a small chuckle as she turned to march out across the train station's lawn. It was nice to have company. "Come on, let's go get a room for the night." Aria floated along behind her.

The soft crunching that accompanied her hoofsteps eventually turned to harsh clicks as grass gave way to stone streets, the scenery growing more urban with each step farther from the city gates. The two travelers were soon surrounded in white marble, with accents of gold and regal purple scattered here and there. Hoof-carved statues of unicorns stood guard on more than a few rooftops, watching with gemstone eyes as the ponies went about their lives below. Even higher up, colorful flags rippled violently in the strong mountain winds.

More of Sunset's memories came to the surface once they neared her old neighborhood. There was her favorite smoothie shop, run by a pony whose name she never knew, but whose face she'd never forget. A glance through the window didn't show her any familiar faces, though, and so she carried on her way. They passed by the old library on Woodlog Street, as well. She used to frequent that library as a filly, at least before she started her training at Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns.

Thinking of her time as a filly didn't even feel like a decade ago... it felt like several lifetimes had passed since then. And thinking about who she had been was like looking at a completely different person... she hoped.

The final rays of the sun were fading into the pale light of Luna's moon by the time they reached their resting place for the night. It was one of the fancier hotels, its tower reaching high above most other buildings in the area. Twilight had left them quite a few bits to burn during their vacation, so Sunset checked them into one of the larger suites near the top. It was quite a journey up the stairs, but the view made it worth the trek.

From the wall-sized window, they could look out upon almost the whole of Canterlot and its host mountain, winding streets sprawling out from the castle on the South-Eastern side. The city was dotted with lighted windows, but most of the scenery was lit only by the rising moon. The Royal Sisters' palace was the centerpiece amid the castle's array of turrets and spires, and Celestia's School for Gifted unicorns was nestled in nearby. It felt funny to see the city from this angle, looking out toward the palace. Growing up in the castle, she'd usually be looking out in the direction of the hotel, instead.

After a time, Sunset turned away from the window. The white walls, despite being draped in curtains and dotted with jewels, were comparatively drab. The room had only one bed, but it was big enough for four ponies to share, let alone the two of them. "Do you want to share the bed?" she asked. "Or are you comfy up there?"

Aria shook her head. "The bed sounds good. This isn't nearly as comfortable as it looks. It's like lying on a moving plate of glass."

"Ouch, point taken." Sunset followed Aria to the bed, her hooves sinking into the room's thick, white carpet. Once Aria was over one side, Sunset's magic tugged the collar from her neck and the sea pony plunged into the sheets with a bouncy puff. Sunset crawled into the bed on her right, curling up on her stomach as her horn brought the sheets up to her shoulders.

Sunset laid in bed for a few long minutes before speaking, her eyes taking in the dark swirls in the marble ceiling as her mind wandered through all her memories of Canterlot. "So tomorrow we can get some food, maybe take in a show or two... but I would like to get to the palace at some point."

"The palace? Pretty high view of yourself you have there."

"I guess..." Sunset hugged the blanket tighter around herself. "It's where I spent a lot of time growing up..." She glanced over at Aria. "Where did you grow up, if I may ask?"

Aria pursed her lips for a moment with her chin resting on her pillow, the blanket pulled up to her neck. "Aquapolis. Man, it's been so long I actually forgot for a few minutes."

"Eugh, I don't know if I'd want to forget my hometown."

Aria shrugged. "What're you gonna do? Anyway, I'm tired so... goodnight." Aria closed her eyes and turned away from her, abruptly ending the conversation.

Sunset sighed. She would have to sleep now... and bring the dawn even sooner.

Author's Note:

This chapter was edited by Bootsy Slickmane.