• Published 29th May 2017
  • 3,566 Views, 284 Comments

The Shadowbolts Adventures - DragonShadow



The continuing adventures of the Crystal Prep Shadowbolts as they and their friends deal with life, love, magic, and adventure.

  • ...
3
 284
 3,566

Pick of the Litter Finale

Princess Twilight Sparkle's castle was quiet in the early hours of the morning. It was that special time between the peaceful rest of the night and the hustle and bustle of the day where all one had to worry about was sitting in a chair with a tall glass of cold milk and a stack of pancakes sitting on the table in front of them. It was a time of silence, where friends and family could relax and simply enjoy being with one-another for just a little while.

It was a time that Twilight Sparkle, Starlight Glimmer, and Spike were enjoying as they slowly munched on their fluffy breakfast, when suddenly a clamor arose from the hallway. It grew louder and louder, until the kitchen door flew open and a small army of dragons fluttered through the room.

"Keep running! We're so close to freeeeedoooooom!" Spike's voice howled as ran right across the top of the table in a panic. Dishes flew from the polished wood as a bigger dragon girl and a bunch of tiny green and brown dragons chattered in high pitched voices as they bounced after the two bigger dragons. The noise seemed to vanish out the door to the foyer as suddenly as it appeared, and as soon as the dishes stopped spinning on the floor, silence reigned again.

Twilight and Spike exchanged a confused glance, then both looked to Starlight Glimmer. Starlight stared back blankly with a half-chewed pancake in her mouth as she replied. "I didn't do it."

***

The palace doors clanged open just before Spike emerged out into the growing daylight beyond. He skidded to a stop in the dirt just outside of what appeared to be a massive crystal palace shaped like a tree. He heard his beloved and his children coming to a stop all around him as they stood and took in the sight of this new place. It looked nothing like the world he was familiar with. There was no pavement, not even any people walking the dirt roads. Everything he had overheard from Twilight was true. This place was full of ponies... ponies who, oddly, seemed to recognize him.

"Hey Spike!" A female pony with a light green coat waved as she passed. "How's it going?"

"You know me?" Spike blinked for a moment, then his eyes went wide. "Crap... they know me here!" He grabbed Mina's claw in his own. "We have to get out of here!"

"Spike, I don't understand. What's going on!?" Mina protested loudly, but she didn't resist being tugged along. The newly awakened dragon babies had leapt onto their shoulders while they were standing still, and now clung to their scales as they barreled down the town center. "Why are we running away from Lemon Zest? Where are we going?"

"No time! I'll explain later!" Spike panted as he ran as fast as his stubby legs could carry him.

They had made it to the next street before he heard a voice howling from behind him... Twilight Sparkle's voice. "Spike! Stop! Please, we can talk about this!"

"Mina!" Lemon Zest cried out beside her. "Come back! Please!"

"Lemon Zest?" Mina glanced back and began to slow down, but Spike's grip on her claw continued to urge her forward.

"Come on! I'll explain when we lose them!" Spike turned to yank her through one of the larger crowds, pulling her down a shady alleyway between two of the wooden buildings. "We've got to get out of town! We've got to-hrk!" He gasped as he was suddenly yanked to a stop so suddenly that his arm almost wrenched out of its socket.

Mina had stopped moving and, being almost double his size, brought him to a stop along with her. There was a frightened look on her face as she stared into his eyes. "Spike, I'm confused! Please tell me what's happening!"

Spike turned towards her, gripping one of her claws in his own. "Mina, they're going to take our babies away! They've been talking about it for weeks!"

"What!?" Mina's arms wrapped around the tiny dragons dotting her arms, holding them nestled snugly into her chest. "N-no! Lemon Zest wouldn't do that!"

"They're going to take us back and do just that if we let them catch us!" Spike clung to her claw desperately. "That's why I brought us here! We're dragons, we can go wherever we want in this world! Nobody can mess with us, nobody can take them away from us, we can disappear into this world forever!"

"Forever?" Mina looked down with wet eyes. "I don't want to disappear forever..."

"Spike!" Twilight's voice echoed sharply down the alley. Spike gasped, immediately moving to put himself between the three approaching ponies and his family. Twilight Sparkle led Lemon Zest and Indigo Zap towards them at a slow walk. "Spike, we can talk this out. You don't need to keep running away."

"You're lying, Twilight, I know you are! You're still planning to take them away!" Spike tried to push Mina away from them, but the larger dragoness refused to budge. "Mina, please, let's go! We need to move!"

"Mina, don't..." Lemon Zest hurried forward. She was limping on her right hind leg, which had several bleeding scars dripping from her ankle along with several smaller cuts across the rest of her body, but she kept walking regardless. "Please, don't leave me. I love you, I love all of you."

"Don't listen to them!" Spike threw his arms around Mina, furiously trying to pull him away from the approaching ponies. "Please let's get out of here..."

Mina shook her head quickly and hugged the tiny dragons tighter against her chest. "I don't know what to do... I'm not used to thinking like this..."

"We can help you, Mina." Twilight Sparkle spoke in a soothing voice. "Just come back, and we'll help you. I promise."

Spike gritted his teeth and clenched at Mina's shoulders as his blood began to boil. She was still lying... she would say whatever it took to get them back. They would lie to Mina, take her back because she was their property, and when the time came take her babies away anyway. Because they didn't matter... they were dogs.

"Leave us alone!" Spike whirled on the ponies with his jaws wide. Emerald green flames of rage burst from his lips to engulf the stunned equines. It burned for longer than seemingly any fire should, but soon it began to peter out, showing the ponies standing unharmed behind a transparent crimson bubble. A new pony had joined them, a Twilight Sparkle with a pair of wings attached to her sides.

"That's quite enough of that, Spike." Princess Twilight fanned her wings calmly to put out the rest of the emerald fire that was burning on the ground.

"Whoa, it really is the other me..." The Other Spike on the princess' back stared at the two other dragons with a look of bewilderment in his eyes. "Weird..."

"Princess Twilight..." Spike fell to his knees like he'd seen many humans do on many occasions. "You can't let them take us back! You can't let them take our babies away!"

Princess Twilight narrowed her eyes. "Taking babies away?" She peered at the family of dragons before her, then turned back to the ponies gathered behind her. "Does anypony want to explain what he's talking about?"

"Of course, Your Majesty..." Twilight cleared her throat with a blush. "We'll tell you anything you want to know..."

It wasn't long before they were back in Princess Twilight's palace seated around the dining room table. Tea had been served to all of those gathered to help calm frayed nerves. Spike had never had tea before, and he wasn't sure if it was because of his new dragon tongue, but it didn't taste bad.

"We're still trying to think of a way around our parents' restrictions..." Twilight Sparkle shook her head. "But... if we can't, there's simply nothing we can do."

"I see..." Princess Twilight looked back at Mina with a gentle gaze again. "You've been quiet since we came back, Mina. Do you have something you want to say?"

"I love Lemon Zest..." Mina's arms were patting and batting at the tiny dragons as she spoke, who were cooing and giggling in oblivious happiness now that the danger and panic had passed. "And I love my babies... I don't want to leave, and I don't want anyone to go away..."

"I think we can all agree with you, Mina." Lemon Zest gulped. There was a bandage wrapped around the wound on her ankle now. "Just tell us what we can do..."

"You can... leave them here." Spike's voice echoed across the vaulted room, though it didn't come from Spike. Other Spike was standing by the doorway with his claw resting gently on the doorframe. "I may not be much of a dragon... or a grownup... but I mean... maybe I can do some good, you know?"

"Leave them in Equestria?" Twilight blinked in surprise. "I'm sure that's not possible... is it? Wouldn't that hurt some kind of interdimensional balance or something?"

Princess Twilight stroked her chin. "Sunset Shimmer has been in your world for quite a while, and nothing has gone wrong. Plus the Dazzlings have been over there for a thousand years. Besides, who am I to get in the way of one of the most generous acts I've ever heard?" She gave Other Spike a warm smile. "If you're absolutely sure, then of course they can stay here. If you think you can handle them."

"Yeah, I mean... I don't know, but I'll do my best." Other Spike's cheeks were bright red as he approached the two other dragons. "They may not technically be mine... but how could I turn away from this?"

"And we can come see them?" Mina hugged her babies tighter again. "Any time?"

"The portal is always open." Princess Twilight nodded with a gentle smile. "You don't even need to ask."

"Okay..." Mina slid off of her chair to approach Other Spike. "Please take care of them..."

"Of course I will." Other Spike was grinning madly as the dragons were laid on top of his arms and shoulders.

"This is Pluto, Bolt, Balto, Dogmeat, and Odie." Mina named off the puppies one by one as she left them with their new caretaker. Even after she had handed them over, however, she just continued to stare at them longingly.

Spike moved up behind her and slipped a claw around her shoulders, hugging her comfortingly against his side as he gave Other Spike a grateful smile. "I can't thank you enough for this. Just tell me what you need some time, any time, and I'll do it for you."

"You don't need to thank me," Other Spike replied sheepishly. "I'll make sure they get raised right, I promise."

"Okay... and we'll do our part too." Spike nodded and gently pushed Mina away from the table. "Come on... we shouldn't keep the nice ponies too long..."

"B-bye bye..." Mina waved slowly back at Other Spike and the baby dragons as she was slowly pushed towards the door. "Bye... bye..."

"Awww, Mina..." Lemon Zest threw a hoof around Mina's back and pulled her into a tight hug as they approached the door, where the ponies were now gathered. "We'll come back very soon, I promise! And they'll still be here!"

Spike winced as Lemon took a jittery step back. "I uh... didn't get you too deep there, did I?" Spike rubbed the back of his head. "I was trying to stop you, not hurt you..."

"It hurts like the dickens." Lemon Zest nodded with a hint of a glare in her eyes. "But I get why you did it... and I forgive you."

Indigo Zap stretched out with a yawn. "Let's go girls. This world is cool and I'm glad everything worked out, but we've been up half the night and I need my shuteye."

"Come on, I'll show you back to the portal." Princess Twilight lead the procession through the palace towards the back.

"Twilight, I..." Spike blushed. "I'm sorry I put everybody through all of this." Twilight glanced down at him out of the corner of her eye as she walked. "It's just... I would do anything for my family, you know? They're my family, they're my responsibility... and I love them."

Twilight glanced down at the floor for a moment before slipping one hoof around his shoulders and pulling him close against her flank. "I do know... and I feel the same way. I'd do anything for my family too. Even if it was reckless and irresponsible... I understand."

Spike smiled. "You'll be a good mother someday, Twilight..."

A slight smile tugged at Twilight's lips. "Thank you, Spike. For what it's worth... I couldn't be more proud of what a loving, dedicated father you are." She gave him one more soft squeeze with her hoof as they approached the portal and emerged out into the courtyard of Canterlot High School, with tiny puppy Spike held snugly in the crook of one of her arms.