• Published 29th May 2017
  • 3,566 Views, 284 Comments

The Shadowbolts Adventures - DragonShadow



The continuing adventures of the Crystal Prep Shadowbolts as they and their friends deal with life, love, magic, and adventure.

  • ...
3
 284
 3,566

Pick of the Litter Part 02

Twilight Sparkle's footsteps along the sidewalk were quick and as heavy as a 120 pound high school girl could make them. There was a leash clenched tightly in her left hand, though the small dog that padded along by her heels didn't need any urging or help to keep up with her.

"Twilight, what's the big deal?" Spike grunted worriedly. "You've been quiet since we left the house, where are we going?"

"We're going to Lemon Zest's house."

"Really!?" Spike's ears perked up happily. "Okay! I can spend time with Mina!"

"You've been irresponsible enough already!" Twilight snapped. When Spike grunted and looked up at her in surprise she continued. "Your girlfriend just had a litter of puppies, Spike."

"Oh..." Spike blushed and almost seemed to beam as he walked. "Oh, wow... I'm a daddy..."

"You're too young to be a daddy!"

"I'm over a year old now, Twilight." Spike shook his head. "Besides it... it just felt right when it happened, you know?"

"Well it wasn't!" Twilight blushed furiously. "You're not even married!"

"Uh... do... dogs get married?"

"That..." Twilight grumbled into silence the rest of the way to Lemon Zest's house, where Lemon met them at the door with a nervous smile.

"Hey, come on in." Lemon stepped aside to let them in, with Sour Sweet standing close behind her.

As soon as they entered Spike darted away from them, yanking the leash right out of Twilight's grip as he bounded for the staircase. "Hey! Spiiike!" Twilight shouted after him, but he was already gone.

"I guess he can smell them from here. Hehe... it's cute..." Lemon smiled.

Twilight grunted and turned to Lemon stiffly. "Did you talk to your parents? What did they say?"

Lemon nodded. "Yeah, I talked to 'em... they said we can keep one... the rest have gotta go as soon as they can."

"I was afraid of that." Twilight plucked her phone out of her pocket and did a quick search. "It looks like they need to stay together for eight weeks at least..."

"After that..." Lemon looked down with a sigh. "Spike and Mina are gonna be devastated, aren't they?"

Sour Sweet slipped an arm around Lemon's shoulders. "It could be worse... they could've been born dead..." Twilight and Lemon just stared at her for several long, silent moments. "What? It's true."

Twilight slipped her phone back in her pocket. "Come on, we should tell them. The puppies are upstairs, right?" After Lemon Zest nodded the trio made their way up the staircase towards the linen closet at the end of the hallway.

Most of the puppies had drifted back to sleep, though two of them had returned to Mina's belly for another meal. Mina was resting calmly with her chin on one leg, silently watching over them as her tail slowly waggled back and forth, through the air and beating on the ground. Spike was huddled against Mina's back, his cheek draped over her shoulder as he watched the tiny puppies, not taking his eyes off of them, almost as if afraid they would vanish if he blinked. They both looked positively thrilled at what was sitting before them.

Twilight came to a stop in the middle of the hallway, bringing her friends to a halt behind her. "M-maybe we don't have to tell them right away... we have a little while..."

"Yeah... eight weeks is a long time in doggy years anyway... we can tell them when the time comes." Lemon smiled sadly.

So instead they gave the new family some time and space to spend on the towel, huddled together in the linen closet while the girls retreated from what they knew would someday have to be done.