• Published 29th May 2017
  • 3,553 Views, 284 Comments

The Shadowbolts Adventures - DragonShadow



The continuing adventures of the Crystal Prep Shadowbolts as they and their friends deal with life, love, magic, and adventure.

  • ...
3
 284
 3,553

Pick of the Litter Part 01

Lemon Zest's eyes began to open lazily, showing her a familiar view of her bedroom as the first rays of morning light began to seep into the window just a short distance up the wall. A lazy smile spread across her lips as her mind recalled the fun she had had the night before. Fun that had resulted in her blanket being strewn out across the floor. Though the summer heat that had taken told of the Crystal City would have probably made her chuck the blanket regardless.

Her calm reflection was interrupted when she noticed grunts and high-pitched yips from the bed behind her, along with uncomfortable vibrations in the mattress. She rolled to her back curiously to see Sour Sweet's arms furiously trying to fend off the eager affection of Lemon Zest's little dog, Mina. Lemon couldn't help but smile at the small tussle, at least until Sour rose to a sitting position, snapped the dog up by her stomach, and hefted her over her head like a furry football.

"Don't... you... dare." Lemon Zest glared with all her might.

Both the human and the puppy seemed to freeze. Sour Sweet's eyes darted back and forth between Mina and Lemon Zest, then she pointed at the dog with her free hand. "She started it." Lemon Zest's glare only grew deeper. "Oh come on, you know I can't stand being woken up!"

"Put her down, Sour Sweet."

"Fine, take her side..." Sour Sweet growled at the puppy as she slowly lowered her to the mattress. Mina seemed unphased by the rough treatment, immediately bouncing back and forth between the two girls and yipping excitedly at the top of her lungs. "What the heck is her problem, anyway?"

"I don't know, usually she's pretty calm." Lemon Zest ran a hand through her dog's short fur. Mina jumped in her hand, nuzzling her arm with her nose and darting licks out against her skin before turning away from her. She yipped at the door before turning back to her as if expecting something. "It's not even breakfast time yet... but it looks like she wants us to follow her."

"So let's not."

"Sour Sweet..." Lemon grunted warningly.

"What? If you give a brat what she wants she'll just keep being bratty!" Sour Sweet folded her arms over her chest stubbornly.

"She's a puppy! Come on, let's just go see what she wants." Lemon nudged her shoulder companionably.

"Why do I have to go? You're her mom."

"Well, if I'm her mom you're like her future stepdad." Lemon Zest quirked her eyebrow teasingly. "Right?"

"I... wh..." Sour Sweet stammered and sputtered as her cheeks began to glow bright red. Without saying another word she began to climb out of bed, smoothing down her nightgown as she went.

Lemon Zest followed suit, and soon the two girls were tailing Mina towards the linen closet at the end of the second floor hallway. Several towels had been yanked roughly out of the lowest stack and piled on the floor, where several tiny wiggling forms could be seen moving across the fabric. Mina yipped again and moved to join them on the towel.

"Huh..." Sour Sweet blinked. "So much for Mina being a puppy."

"She has babies! Oh my gosh!" Lemon dropped to her knees in excitement, reaching a hand across the towel to scratch Mina's head furiously. "Oh my gosh, you're such a good girl! And they're so beautiful! Just look at them! Eeeee!"

Sour Sweet knelt down beside her with her arms wrapped around her knees. "There are seven babies there. That's a lot of babies."

Lemon Zest squealed obliviously as she carefully lifted one of the tiny puppies into the cupped palm of her hands. "I can't wait for Twilight to see these little guys! She's going to flip out so hard!"

"What are you even going to do with this many babies?"

"Bring Twilight to see them! Duh!" Lemon Zest carefully set the tiny body down on the towel, where it immediately dragged itself to Mina's belly to join in the feast happening there. "I'm gonna go call her right now!" She jumped to her feet and ran back to her room, snapping her cell phone off of her nightstand and tapping Twilight's name.

"Hrghl.... hello...?" Twilight Sparkle's raspy voice came back over the speaker.

"Twilight! Guess what! You're a grandmother!"

"I... what? I thought I was awake..."

"You are!" Lemon Zest squealed and ran back down the hallway. "Look! These are your grandbabies!" Lemon lifted the phone to take a picture of the scene in front of her, and sent a snapshot of the feasting babies to Twilight.

"Are those... puppies?" Twilight gasped.

"Yes! Yes they are! Mina gave birth last night! Isn't it amazing!?"

Twilight's howling voice could be heard over the phone speaker. "Spike! What did you do!?"

"Um... Twilight?"

"Sorry, sorry." Twilight returned to the phone. "I'll come over as soon as I can, and we can discuss what we're going to do about this."

"What do you mean what we're gonna do about it? They're puppies, we can raise them! It'll be awesome!"

"Will your parents let you keep this many puppies? Because mine sure won't."

"I... well I haven't asked them yet..."

"If they say yes let me know, it'll be a huge load on my mind. For now, I'll be over soon."

"Alright... I'm sure Spike will want to meet them too." Lemon Zest giggled. "They are his babies, after all."

"Y-yeah, of course. He'll be with me. See you soon."

"Buh-bye." Lemon Zest hung up the phone and plopped down on the carpet in front of the linen closet, just watching the babies squirm and explore their towel. "Twilight's coming over to talk."

"Doesn't sound like a happy visit."

"Well I'm happy..." Lemon tried to straighten her back and put her chin into the air. "My baby had babies, what's not to be happy about?"

Sour Sweet looked over at her, then scratched the side of her head for a moment before reaching one arm out slowly to wrap it around Lemon's shoulders. Gently Lemon felt herself pulled against Sour Sweet's side in a half-hug. "Want me to stick around until you figure that out?"

"You don't have to... but yeah, I do."

Sour nodded with a soft blush on her cheeks as they watched the babies wiggle.