• Published 29th May 2017
  • 3,554 Views, 284 Comments

The Shadowbolts Adventures - DragonShadow



The continuing adventures of the Crystal Prep Shadowbolts as they and their friends deal with life, love, magic, and adventure.

  • ...
3
 284
 3,554

Homesick Part 04

Aria Blaze looked down curiously as she hovered in the air, Sunset Shimmer and Starlight Glimmer both watching her with wary eyes. The throne room in the palace of friendship was pretty much empty, giving them plenty of space to work on the sea pony and the small collar that hovered its way across the room towards her.

"Keep an eye on the magic spikes..." Starlight Glimmer advised.

"I've got a handle on it, just keep her steady." Sunset Shimmer stuck out her tongue in concentration as the collar approached through the air. It flipped open and slipped around Aria's neck like a snake coiling around its prey. Aria's eyes pulsed brightly with magic for a brief moment as the clasp snapped shut.

"Is that gonna do it?" Starlight asked.

"One way to find out. Are you ready, Aria?" Sunset asked. Aria shook her head rapidly for a moment, then fixed Sunset with a sharp glare and nodded her head. "We'll let go in three.... two... one..." Simultaneously the light from the two unicorns' horns faded, leaving Aria hovering in the center of the room. Experimentally Aria flapped her fins, and was sent cruising at a slow speed towards the front door. She dropped through the air as she went from the table to the floor, but stayed 3 feet above whatever was beneath her.

"Looks perfect." Starlight grinned. "You won't be breaking any speed records, but you can get around on land without dragging yourself around the floor or being carried."

"Huzzah!" Trixie threw her forehooves around Starlight's neck. "Trixie continues to be proud of you, Starlight!"

"It was a team effort..." Starlight blushed.

"Yeah, but I couldn't have done it without you." Sunset gave Starlight a loose hoof bump. "Thanks."

"Don't mention it." Starlight's blush finally faded. "Anyway, are you sure you wouldn't like us to come with you to Canterlot? It's our job to show you around and keep you safe..."

Sunset waved off her offer. "Relax, it's been a few years, but I've been to Canterlot before. Just point us in the direction of the Ponyville train station and we can find our way from there. And... we might need a few bits."

Starlight nodded. "Of course, Princess Twilight told us to give you some when you got here." Starlight handed over a small purse. "Just head down main street right outside the door, it'll be on your left. If you hit the end of town, you've gone too far."

"Great. Thanks again, for everything." With a bright smile Sunset waved farewell to Starlight and Trixie, and left the palace with Aria floating at her side.

Ponyville was a really tiny town to have the princess of friendship living in it, Sunset suddenly realized. The roads weren't even paved, comprised of entirely dirt and loose rocks, and almost all of the buildings were businesses with very few dedicated homes, which meant the population was probably so poor they couldn't afford multiple buildings.

"I didn't think this place would be so... rustic," Sunset quipped.

Aria nodded. "Yeah, it's a hole."

"Mmhmm.... wait, Aria!?" Sunset glanced over, halting in her surprise. "You talked!"

"Yup."

"I thought you took a vow of silence after your jewels were destroyed."

Aria shrugged her fins. "That's more Adagio's thing, I just humor her. She does it out of shame and respect for others."

"And you...?"

"Have no shame or respect for others."

"Well..." Sunset rubbed the back of her neck as she resumed her forward motion. "You shouldn't be ashamed, anyway. You don't sound bad."

"Yeah, yeah, friendship ho or whatever." Aria grumped.

Realizing that trying to convince her otherwise was a losing battle, Sunset just sighed and let the moment sit. At least it was something that she had someone to talk to on this trip. That would have to be enough for now.