• Published 2nd May 2017
  • 9,754 Views, 2,619 Comments

Fading Suns: A New World - David Silver



A new jumpgate is discovered, or rather a very old and decayed one that had been brought back online. House Hawkwood sends a bold explorer through to discover what riches await on the other end. He did not expect equines to be the result.

  • ...
36
 2,619
 9,754

PreviousChapters Next
46 - Sunrise

Some of the tension between Laud and Twilight and her friends abated. The secrets and worries he had been holding close to his chest were revealed to be seen and dealt with, and the ponies had not turned against him for what could happen.

Pinkie waved excitedly. "A mare's work is never done!"

Rarity nodded in refined agreement. "Well said. It was nice getting this out, darling, but we do have responsibilities."

Laud returned the nod to either of them. "Good luck." His eyes darted to Twilight. "I presume you'll bring Applejack and Fluttershy up to speed?"

Rainbow snorted as she lifted from the ground. "I have to swing by AJ's anyway. I'll make sure she knows what direction's the sky." She saluted and launched herself out a window without delay, a streak of rainbows giving short-lived proof that she had been there.

Spike, who had been quiet, hiked a thumb in the direction she had gone. "That meant she'll tell AJ what's happening so she knows what to do."

Laud had assumed as much. "That was a very 'flyer' saying." There remained yet one of Twilight's friends, and he looked to Fluttershy. "You're quiet, do you have something on your mind?"

"Oh!" She smiled nervously. "N-no, I'm fine." She waved a hoof as she shook her head, standing up on her throne. "I should probably be going too, if that's alright?"

"A witness is in order," came a firm, female, voice. The clip-clop of Celestia's approach was clear, her metal-clad hooves striking the crystal of the castle. Beside her, the boots of many men came with her. Both she and Paul came into view only moment's later, his men trailing behind. "We have important things to announce." Her eyes were on Laud and Twilight with equal intensity.

Laud looked to Paul, but the man's face was impossible to read. He had put on a poker face only a high-born royal could have mastered. It was enough to tell Laud he should be worried, and he was. What had they discussed outside of his ears? "I trust your meeting was productive?" He decided with, trying as best he could to keep his own expression passive. The truth would come, he just had to wait for it.

Paul nodded towards Celestia. "Always refreshing to meet a fellow protector of their people, and it's a change of pace to meet one not of the Hawkwood house that holds themselves to decency to both their people and others."

"You are too kind." Celestia smiled gently at the compliment. "But, what I am about to do will not be seen as kind, and to one that has been nothing but wonderful to me..." The tension in the room grew. Twilight and Fluttershy were locked on Celestia. Even they knew that something was happening. "I can only hope that she will forgive me, in time, for I act in Equestria's best interests, and this is a matter greater than even our beloved country."

Fluttershy's eyes widened with alarm. "O-oh, my. Is everything alright?"

Celestia smiled down at Fluttershy. "I'm afraid not, but I think it will get better, in time." She turned fully to Twilight. "I must ask that you perform a task that falls onto royalty, which you now are. In order to shield our world from the ravages of the larger universe, we must be seen wholly as a portion of a larger whole." She inclined her head towards Paul. "We have the way to do that."

Twilight's jaw tensed, a little tremble passing through her body. "How can I... help?" Somewhere in her, she was starting to get an idea, her eyes darting from human to human.

Celestia raised a hoof and pointed at Twilight in a firm thrust. "Twilight, I have arranged your union."

Twilight fell back against her throne. "Oh, is that all." She sank against the back of it. "I thought it was something serious." She laughed a brief little hysterical sound. "It's not like you're marrying me off or anything."

"Um..." Fluttershy looked between the distraught Twilight and Celestia. "Is it to him?" She pointed at Paul.

Spike snorted softly. "Doubt it."

Celestia approached the great map that occupied the center of the room. Her gaze swept over it. "This is not a matter I choose lightly. It has weighed on me for some time." She placed a hoof gently on where Ponyville was on the map, having to rear up to reach it. "This could destroy the entire world we've worked so hard to protect. While some would... say we have the means to defend ourselves. If it came to violence, it would be a matter of when, not if we were destroyed, wiped out to the last."

She turned her eyes on Twilight. "I hope you understand what I am doing, in time, and can forgive me."

Twilight stiffly nodded. "O-of course..." She sat up, forcing herself to be at rigid attention. "Fluttershy's question is apt. Who am I... being forced to be with?"

Celestia looked towards Laud, saying nothing, but saying everything, all at once.

Laud's mind raced. He turned towards Paul quickly. "What about Lyra?" Even as he said it, he realized the ludicrousness of even asking. Lyra had already denied him, twice, and compared to Twilight, she was almost a commoner.

Paul clapped Laud's shoulder with a firm hand, his fingers digging just enough to make it clear. No choices were being given at that moment. "It's for the best. We want to protect these, our new people, and this is how we start. You'd sooner take a blade than see your people put upon, isn't that right?"

"Yes, of course!" Laud shot back, voice strained.

"This is a blade of another sort, and it falls on you to put yourself on it." Paul suddenly shoved Laud back. "Will you rise to your duty, or prove everyone right, young noble?"

Celestia smiled gently on Laud. "You will become a prince, with all the responsibility and privilege that comes with it. As we have no kings or queens, you would immediately be among the most powerful by rank within the country, and with it, we would accept and acknowledge Hawkwood as not only allies, but one of our own."

Twilight met Laud's eyes, her own frantic with new worries. "Well, at least I... know him." She laughed her little unnerved laugh, mane becoming frizzier by the moment as if the stress somehow manifested itself there. "I should... tell my family. Oh, look at that! After I complained to my brother, now I'm the one springing a wedding on them unexpectedly." She laughed all the harder, the hysterics only getting stronger.

The sound of a slap echoed through the room.

Twilight looked to Spike with a stunned face, her cheek burning red from where his little hand had struck her.

"Snap out of it," he commanded firmly before turning to Celestia. "Are you serious? These two don't have anything in common."

"This is not a matter of love, Spike." Celestia dipped her head low, heavy with the weight of what she was doing. "I hope they will find mutual respect, at least, and are good friends."

Laud felt his estimation of Spike rise slightly. That had taken some bravery, he decided. "She is correct... Marriage does not always equate to love, or even passion. If this... is what has been decided, I will play my part honorably." He would not be known as a pouty child, refusing to do what needed to be done. He clapped his boots together and bowed formally to Twilight. "I accept your ha--hoof and will honor and respect you until my last breath."

Paul shook his head with a little laugh. "You're being hasty, Laud. Nice oath, but we should make a formal ceremony of it. The people of the country need to be perfectly aware of what's going on. We'll want to capture pictures to share and spread the news across the gates. That's how we'll announce this world, its people, and Hawkwood's involvement all in one fell swoop. No room for doubt there."

Celestia rose back to her full height. "Yes, there are things to plan." She turned for the exit, sliding free of the table she had been on. "Are there human traditions to marriage we should factor into the arrangements?"

Paul moved to keep up with her, and they began planning the wedding as they went, soon gone from the room, leaving the two newly-promised ones behind.

Laud needed to sit down, but the only seat around was also a throne, and it wasn't his throne. He settled with putting a hand on the large map and leaning against it, trying to calm himself. That had been fast, too fast. His plans... Were not entirely destroyed. He would still oversee the port. He would still be the go-between. He would still do what he wanted to do. He was just getting married, to the wrong pony.

Wrong? Was Lyra more 'right?'. There was love there, even if one-sided. She liked him. He liked his women on two legs. Pointless, it was all pointless. He wasn't being given a choice. He wanted to save that world, and its people, and that meant shutting up and taking it, like a man...

Twilight suddenly laughed. "You look like you're taking this about as well as I am." She leaned forward in her throne. "That's strangely comforting. Fluttershy?"

"Yes, Twilight? I'm here for you." She smiled timidly, but did not flee.

"Thank you... But I think, right now, I need you to tell the rest of the girls what just happened. Can you do that, please?" Her voice was low and tense, but she didn't sound hysterical. "I need to... think about this."

Fluttershy hopped up. "I'll do that, Twilight, but you... take care of yourself." She looked to Spike pointedly. "Keep an eye on her, please." She fled, wings flapping, but not flying. She galloped out the front door.

Spike saluted after her before looking to Laud. "You alright? You look as bad as Twilight, with less rambling."

"Hey!"

"Calling it like I saw it." He smiled at Twilight a little. "Feeling better?"

She rubbed the fading stinging of her cheek. "You didn't have to hit so hard..."

"Yes, yes I did." Spike hopped up onto her throne with her and patted her shoulder. "Now, the way I see it, you two are friends, just, you know, not that kind of friend. So you're getting married, big deal. They can't make you do more than that. You're friends with a fancy title, don't make it more than that."

Laud stood up, pushing away from the table. "I..." His objection died. Could a human and a pony produce an heir? If not, that truly was the end of it. They would not need to be anymore than friends with extra baggage. But, they didn't know. Still, the odds had to be low, right? A random species did not cross with humans...

He frowned deeply. Except, ponies might be humans.

Twilight tilted her head. "Bit for your thoughts? You look like you're thinking about something pretty seriously."

"What Spike said, he's not wrong, on some levels, but if we can make an heir, it will be expected that we do." He took a slow breath, trying to calm himself. "But that... is a problem for another day, perhaps another year." Maybe another decade? "For now, Spike is speaking wisdom." And surprising him. "When did you become such a calming presence?"

Twilight burst into a short laugh, hopping down from her throne. "That's my Spike. He's always there for me when things are at their worst, and he usually says something worth listening to... that I don't always listen to. Sorry for that, Spike, and thank you." She held out a hoof and Spike was soon there, the two hugging one another in the fond embrace of kinship.

Outside, Bon Bon picked herself up from where she had fallen when she heard the sudden news. "This changes things," she muttered as she dusted herself off. How was she going to get Lyra what she wanted?! "Back to the drawing board..."

Author's Note:

Royal commands are here to settle things. Let us hope this edict is typo free.

Want this story updated faster? Want to get your own story written? Want to just support the author in his writing? Join the atreon!

Join my discord to chat!

PreviousChapters Next