• Published 2nd May 2017
  • 9,749 Views, 2,619 Comments

Fading Suns: A New World - David Silver



A new jumpgate is discovered, or rather a very old and decayed one that had been brought back online. House Hawkwood sends a bold explorer through to discover what riches await on the other end. He did not expect equines to be the result.

  • ...
36
 2,619
 9,749

PreviousChapters Next
59 - By the Pancreator

"Ship detected," came over the intercom. A screen came to life, showing a hazy picture of another small vessel rushing towards the same ship they were. It appeared much like their own, a vessel made for ferrying small amounts of people and little more. Grand for getting people down to a world, back up from it, or sending them between ships.

Paul pressed his ear. "Why is one of their ships landing on ours?"

"They want to speak to you directly, Sir. I couldn't think of a polite way to tell them to buzz off. I'll have the two of you landing on opposite ends."

"Landing cleared," announced Paul's pilot, things lurching as their trajectory shifted.

"He just got the dock assignment, I hear. Their ship's tiny, can't be more than 20 people, tops. If they go rogue, we have plenty of people to counter that. We'll keep them in sight at all times."

"See that you do." Paul tapped the piece, silencing the communication. There was little more to learn from there.

Their ship pulled in close to the larger before it was grabbed in a powerful magnetic field, drawn right up into its innards in a smooth retraction of a docking grapple. Things were quiet a moment. "We have air. You may disembark when ready." He heard his pilot click off and could imagine him getting out of his seat. A landed pilot was an off-duty one.

Paul didn't have that luxury. His work was just beginning. He was off the ship as quickly as the door could open, striding with purpose. "I'm aboard. What dock are they in?" He had guests to host.


Zecora huffed and puffed. Horses could gallop quickly, but not for long. She should have kept herself to a trot, but she had been in a panic, and could only suffer the consequences of her poor decision, lungs burning with each step as she was reduced to a slow walk through the town of Ponyville. Her target was in sight, barely visible in the dark, more of a cutout of the skyline than anything else.

"Zecora?" asked a female voice. Missus Cake was standing in the door of her shop, holding a rug in her mouth. "You look terrible. Is everything alright?" She turned and spat out the rug into the interior of her home.

Zecora smiled, still heaving quietly for breath. "Hello, I did not mean to disturb. I have news that may peturb. I ran too far and too fast. It seems even daylight has passed." She pointed ahead at the castle in the distance, so close and yet so far away.

"You poor thing." Missus Cake waved inside. "Come in. Whatever it is can wait until morning at least, I hope? Pinkie!"

Pinkie appeared with the abruptness she was known for. "Zecora!" she cried with a smile. "I didn't expect to see you here!" She gasped dramatically. "Are we having a sleepover? This is fantastic!" With a happy squeal, she vanished back inside.

Missus Cake shook her head. "Well, clearly she isn't bothered by the idea of sharing a room for the night. Won't you come inside?" The matronly mare gestured inwards once more. "It's no trouble at all."

What a difference time had made. That and, perhaps, a reminder that a zebra was far less different compared to other things that had come to visit Ponyville. Zecora stepped towards the offered haven. "I was hasty once before. The morning will see the end of this chore."


A wizened unicorn stallion's horn glowed as he turned the telescope slowly to scan the sky. "What, precisely are we looking for?"

"Your guess is as good as any other," sighed out a younger female that barely looked like she had stopped being a filly. Her cutie mark of a constellation made it clear her purpose, and she was using a telescope with equal zeal. "Something that shouldn't be there."

Star, star, shooting star, cloud... He squinted a bit... "What..." He adjusted the focus on the telescope, then brought up a cloth to clean the lens, just to be absolutely certain. "Do you see this?" He backed away from the machine.

The mare pulled away from what she was looking at and hurried over, popping her eye into position. "What!? That... isn't normal. You found it! What'd you find?"

"By Luna's moon, I couldn't say," he assured, running a hoof through his beard. "But we should report it immediately."

Through the telescope, they could dimly make out the form of the massive ship that was so far over their heads. They couldn't really pull apart the details, but it was a structure. It wasn't perfectly round like a planet or moon or star. It didn't belong.


The sun rose languidly over the horizon under the gentle grip of the ponies' highest ruler, she who wished only the best for all creatures, but especially her little ponies, may their innocence and sweetness be preserved.

Above the world, but not above the sun, a man approached a small group. The man was not alone, not by far. His soldiers were dotted across the area, ready to respond in an instant. They were standing on his ship. He was their king, their god, and by his order, those he approached would be seized and hurled out the nearest airlock.

That would not be the proper first response. "By the Pancreator, it's been too long since we've had such distinguished guests." He brought his hands together before thrusting one forward in an offer of a shake. "If I don't misrecognize your rank, a cardinal? A deep honor."

The man who he was addressing nodded gently before reaching to accept the shake. "In his light, may you walk easily. Your people have been seeing to our comfort, but we have not come for that." He gestured with a little wiggle of the tips of his fingers. "You have secured a gate, without full cooperation of the Charioteers." He was using 'you' to refer to Hawkwoods as a whole, and neither needed that explained. "Word spread quickly, and so we arrive with it."

Paul raised a hand, slapping it down on the shoulder of the cardinal. "That was the work of one who is both young and reckless. We will gladly cede control of the gate back to the Charioteers, of course, though I am surprised they sent the church to speak their part instead of one of their own?"

"I am certain," spoke the cardinal, keeping his eyes trained on Paul. "The Merchant League will send their own spokespeople. We arrived as if by providence, to catch wind of exciting news being spread." He leaned a little, encroaching on the limited space between himself and Paul. "Please, do tell us the specifics."

Paul had barely sent the order to spread the word! Had the church ships been on the other side of the gate? What were the odds of that? He cursed his luck, a fine thing to do in front of a clergyman, even if it was silent. "I presume you are curious about the mention of a people who eagerly... approach matters of some taboo?"

He raised a brow, a fine feature on his face. "That is a delicate way to place it. A plentiful sample of heathens is a curious thing to advertise." He stepped back, letting Paul's hand slip free. "As a man of faith, perhaps you would care to enlighten me? What manner of people have you found?"

Paul brought his hands together. "They are not heathens, because they are not members of our religion."

The other brow raised to join it. "That sounds like the very definition of the word."

"Mayhaps, but they were never brought into the Pancreator's light in the first place, so should not be shunned for their ways." He slowly walked to the left, circling the cardinal and his men. "They will learn, but they have unique gifts that Hawkwood intends to reap."

"Bold words for a duke who has certainly not had time to confer with his peers." He turned to keep Paul in view. "Is whatever you found worth the potential price your house may pay? I am perfectly aware of Hawkwood's... habits. As an honorable man, I presume you will tell me what has won your loyalty so swiftly."

Yes. No? It was too late for second-guesses. "We found a civilization, pre-starfaring but ripe with the potential to figure it out in time. Inhuman--"

"An inhuman species!?" exclaimed the cardinal, his hands thrown wide in surprise. "By the pancreator, why weren't we called the moment you knew? Are they touched by the symbionts? Does their false sun dim like the others? Do they speak our language?"

"We haven't finished a return from the world, as you are well aware." Paul tapped the edges of his fingers together as he took slow steps. "They appear clean of that menace, and their sun is in fine working order, as far as we can tell. They are capable of speaking, but they have a language of their own."

The cardinal waved a hand in the direction of the world beneath them. "Then there is much to do--"

"--Which we are busy doing," cut in Paul. "The dominant nation of this world has already pledged alliance with the Hawkwoods. We are bound by marriage to one of their highest ranking citizens."

The cardinal took a half-step back. "You... Are they?" He scowled at the idea. "What man would debase himself to enter matrimony with an alien species?"

Paul cocked a sudden smile. "I see you don't know us very well. If it meant doing what's right, we'd marry a walrus with a skin problem. These people need protection, and they've accepted our offer to give it. They are Hawkwood, and I assume they will be treated like it."

Soft chuckles echoed through the area, some of the soldiers amused by the mental image their commander had offered, but also standing in solidarity with the idea that Hawkwood did what was right, damn the consequences.

"I see the reputation of the Hawkwood is well earned..." He steepled his fingers, restraining himself from his outburst. "I've been rude. I am Cardinal Ferdinand, at your service. In the pancreator's benevolence, I will offer succor to these deluded... people who have not felt the warmth of the One True God."

Paul rolled a hand palm-side up and gestured in the direction of the world. "That shouldn't be an issue, but you will pass through the landing post we have constructed for the purpose and obey local laws while you do so." That reminded him. "That goes for all three of your ships."

"I will relay your message," offered Ferdinand, not actually agreeing to anything. "It is good to know there is a safe place to touch down. Should we expect the coordinates?"

"I'll have my people deliver it," assured Paul with a firm nod. "It's not a restricted area. All ships that obey the rules are welcome to land there. If that is all?"

"I believe it is..." He turned and the others turned with him. The others remained silent, marking themselves as his guards without saying a word. "One thing." He raised a finger. "Do they have otherworldly powers we should be aware of?"

Paul silently bemoaned how close they had gotten to not having to approach that subject. "They are innate psychics, the ones with horns." Trying to hide it would only cause more trouble when they landed. "They have a strict societal code about its use and censure those who use it irresponsibly. You may enjoy it. Rather--"

"What, I would ask, is a 'responsible' use for it?" He sounded quite doubtful that such a thing existed.

Paul was not as sheltered. For all the church's talk, even they had some psychics in their employ. "Think of them as theurges. Most do not even touch the workings of the mind, able to lift things with a thought or teleport in more extreme cases."

"I... see. It has been enlightening." That was Ferdinand's version of goodbye, moving off with his guards.

One of Paul's men approached, sharply saluting. "Sir. They're moving back for their ship."

Author's Note:

Suddenly space politi-drama! I hope no one minds, but this felt like a thing that needed happening, rather than broaching it later. Was that a good meeting?

A second bonus update voted for by the patreon!

Want this story updated faster? Want to get your own story written? Want to just support the author in his writing? Join the atreon!

Join my discord to chat!

PreviousChapters Next