• Published 2nd May 2017
  • 9,729 Views, 2,619 Comments

Fading Suns: A New World - David Silver



A new jumpgate is discovered, or rather a very old and decayed one that had been brought back online. House Hawkwood sends a bold explorer through to discover what riches await on the other end. He did not expect equines to be the result.

  • ...
36
 2,619
 9,729

PreviousChapters Next
106 - Moonrise

Luna stepped free of the train that had brought her. "She is there," she spoke to herself, taking note of the obvious presence of Twilight's castle. It was difficult to miss. "The humans..." She turned in place to set her eyes on the distant landing pad. "There."

The question became, which way to go. Confer with Twilight, or approach the matter at hoof directly? She shrugged her shoulders and began trotting towards the landing pad. She did not come all that way to listen to Twilight over-ventilate about things.

"Oh, your highness." There was a local, bowing to her.

Luna inclined her head. "I apologize, business calls." And she moved on. There was no time for chatting with random ponies, even if she knew them. She had seen their dreams. She knew of that mare's secret obsession with the texture of whipped cream. A good mare, even including her confectionery habits.

It would be up to Luna to ensure such experiments could continue unbothered.

"Luna!" The Cutie Mark Crusaders closed on her. They were all smiles and waves, each glad to see her.

She wanted to press past them, but the sight of the happy foals made her pause. "There is work to be done," she deflected with a tone that sounded lame in her own ears.

Sweetie waved it all away. "Oh, we don't want to hold you up, Luna. We just wanted to say hi."

"We don't see ya much," continued Apple Bloom.

Scootaloo bobbed her head. "Good luck with whatever you're doing!"

They did not try to follow her. She was free to continue without brushing them aside. "I thank you. If I can, I will seek you out before returning to the castle." And she accelerated into a canter, hoping to avoid any other interactions.

"Princess?" asked a male voice.

Luna grunted and hit the ground, dirt kicked up as she turned quickly. "What is it?!" But that wasn't a pony. That was a human, and one she knew. Her frown grew. "Laud Mountbatten. And..." Her eyes moved to Gregor. "Another." She didn't recall that one's title.

Twilight dipped her head, advancing. "I didn't expect to see you here, but it is a good surprise. What--"

She had been hoping to avoid just that, and yet Twilight had found her. "You wrote of a dire threat, and yet you are still with them. I would know the full measure of what harm approaches our people. Sister is confident in her visions and dreams, but it is I who guards them." She clopped a hoof down. "Since you are here, bring me up to date."

Gregor spread his hands with a friendly smile. "Sister of Princess Celestia?"

Twilight moved between the two. "That's right. Luna, we have a situation." She glanced about at the small smattering of other ponies that were taking note of the ever increasing density of Important Ponies. "Let's walk, together. I can catch you up as we go."

When Twilight began to walk towards the landing pad, Luna let out a little sigh. Perhaps things would work out! "Please. I know of their ships." She raised one hoof up towards the sky. "Invading my domain as we speak. We were warned of this, Twilight. Do you understand that?"

Laud walked with the others, his attention secured by the words. "Warned, by who, of what?"

Luna turned an ear towards him. "It was long ago, before Twilight first walked this world. Before I was banished. Before I took on the crown."

Twilight's eyes began to shine with the prospect of ancient untold history. "Do go on."

All of them, human and pony alike, went quiet to hear what Luna had to say, each with their own reason for wanting to hear it. Luna let out a small sigh. "When I was but a filly, if you can imagine such a distant thing, my own mother did speak to me. 'Daughter, I speak to you of a tale passed to me, that you may do the same in time. Keep it well and close.' As you can see, I did. Celestia did not, but she has other... distractions." Luna rolled her eyes softly.

"As I was saying, she spoke of the origin of life. All life on this world." She swung a hoof in a slow semi-circle to her left as she went. "Life is a tenacious thing, a vine that will grow in any soil fertile enough to support it. But one requires that seed. I know not how the first came to be, wherever that was, but we were brought here, as seeds, planted in the giving ground, and bidden to grow well and healthy."

Twilight inclined her head. "That is... quite the claim. Xenogenesis has its supporters, but it's not prove--" Luna's hoof found her mouth and plugged it up instantly. Twilight blinked, vanishing and appearing a foot away, but did not try resuming her speech.

"As I was saying," repeated Luna firmly. "That was a tale, told for simple people to remember it. I thought it much a fancy, but out of respect for my mother, I listened. That is also not the important part. She was told to be watchful. There were gates, she was told, if something were to emerge, it would be a peer, and an enemy." She circled around, cutting off the humans to stare at them. "They would be threats beyond any we have known before. Tell me, and be truthful. Was that also fancy?"

Twilight was shaking her head vigorously. "That story doesn't hold together. She went from being placed on the planet to 'beware gates'? That--"

Laud raised a balled hand. "Your mother's words ring true."

"I would prefer it not so," sighed Gregor. "But the wisdom is difficult to argue. The gates are the remnants of greater beings, Anunnaki. Ancient of race, they swam the stars before humans came to be."

"No." Laud threw the balled fist down. "That explains too much. Damn it all, sorry, father. Why your world is..." He suddenly diverted off their path and pointed at a doorknob of a random pony's house. "Explain the genesis of this device."

Gregor was quite confused at the idea. "A simple thing to open doors?"

"Of course it is that, for those with fingers." He grabbed the knob, demonstrating how it fit neatly in his palm. "Now why would a hooved species engineer something like it, or half the other things they take for granted that are terribly designed for their specific needs?"

Luna stalked towards Laud and the suspect door. "What are you implying, Laud Mountbatten?" Her eyes darted between the knob and the man speaking about it.

Bon Bon clopped her forehooves together. "How did I not see this?!" she exclaimed with a little gasp of realization. "It doesn't make sense until you look at it the right way." She hopped up and trotted towards Laud. "Primitive ponies didn't trust other species. We barely trusted each other. We didn't get the design for a doorknob from minotaurs, and yet there they are."

Lyra rubbed at the side of her head. "There... we are? I'm really not getting it, Bonnie. Can you break it down for the slow kids in the class?"

Twilight turned back towards the landing pad. "We're getting distracted, as fascinating a distraction as this is. Let's keep moving. Now..." She began to walk, but kept musing as she went. "Are you suggesting these ancient people showed our forebears what these things were, and that's where they came from? Interesting, but not helpful to the current situation."

Spike raised a finger, suddenly breaking his silence, "So, wait, that could be important. If these ancient whatevers... had fingers, and did they look like any of us?"

Gregor had the answer for that, "None can speak with utmost certainty, but their children are very humanlike among the alien races."

Spike pointed to Bon Bon. "Similar enough to start families with, apparently."

Everyone was looking at Bon Bon, who began to color. "This isn't about me!"

Gregor saw where Spike was leading, however. "Which means the people of this world may yet have human souls. Depending on the timing, we may have pony souls. It would be impossible to say and the difference means little."

They had reached the landing pad, their hooves and shoes striking the hard surface beneath them that was built to handle the intense weight of huge ships. Spike hurried up next to Gregor. "How hard is your magic? I mean, if we could learn it, that would be proof positive, right? You can't argue evidence like that, right?"

"It would be... an honor," allowed Gregor. "To accept a student who could glow from within. But to learn the liturgical arts is not something performed in a day, or a week, or a month. We don't have that manner of time to try as you suggest, as lovely an answer as it would be."

Laud accelerated towards the merchants' ship. "Let's put aside those thoughts for now and see if we have another ally or not." He advanced up the ramp towards them, thrusting a finger out to press the call button just as he reached it.

"Yeah? Oh, Sir Mountbatten, what's up?" asked the male voice.

Laud had to smirk at that mixture of proper and sloppy greeting. "I would speak with your leader of matters dire. Are they available?"

"Sec." There was a click, the person likely leaving their post.

Laud turned to the others that had caught up with them. "The merchants have two basic choices. They can stand with us, or flee."

Luna shook her head. "You have not explained what they are standing with us against."

"My former brothers and sisters," sighed Gregor. "They prepare for a cleansing of the world."

Luna's eyes widened, understanding it better than most of the other ponies. "Tell me why I should not begin striking the vessels from the sky! I can dash them to pieces, right now. Equestria would be safe."

Laud's color began to drain. "You have such power?!"

Gregor was not far behind. "Goddess of this domain, please have mercy on us foolish mortals for a time. Your people deserve better than a future vanguarded by blind fury."

Luna hiked a brow high at the priest. "You would call me a god?"

Laud looked about as surprised. The very thought that a priest would call anything save the Pancreator as a proper god was...

"Of the universe, no, clearly not. But of these people, of this place..." He turned to the smiling form of Lyra. "Is she not one of your gods?"

Lyra inclined her head left and right, looking confused a moment before she bobbed her head. "Assuming 'God' is a funny words for 'Princess', which means 'that thing that is in charge of a thing and is that thing, basically, yeah, she's our god of the night, protector of dreams." She hopped up in place. "Also a cool mare who I hope I get to hang out with after we finish this."

Luna knew Lyra, she couldn't avoid it. She'd been in that mare's strange dreams. She shook her head slowly, looking towards the door.

"As I thought," spoke Gregor, seeming entirely confident. "No Pancreator, obviously. A small god, small as the people she guards. One of the sources of their light." He looked to Twilight then. "As are you, are you not? You are the missing sources of light we had been looking for."

"Hey," came a voice from the intercom. "Boss says he's not leaving. Wanted me to ask; the Hawkwoods are all in, right?"

"We will stand firm," spoke Laud in almost a shout as if just projecting his voice would convince the universe of the fact. "Are you with us then?"

"Moment." They could hear faint talking, something shuffling, a door close? "Yeah. You know how to add a radio line to your headpiece? Shoot, you have a headpiece?"

Gregor shook his head. "I do not. Sir Mountbatten?"

"I do... but the operation--"

"--We'll send a tech," cut in the voice from the intercom. "Just wait there."

Author's Note:

Some allies are easier to get than others.

Written early for patreons who got this ahead of everyone else. Want to get early chapters, or even your own story written? atreon!

Join my discord to chat!

PreviousChapters Next