• Published 21st Feb 2017
  • 4,462 Views, 65 Comments

A Wielder and His Students - Golden Flare



2012. The year that was prophesied to be the end of the world. But in reality, it was a test for humanity, and we failed. Well, except for a select few who passed, like me. Now I have my own Keyblade and live in a new world, teaching future wielders.

  • ...
17
 65
 4,462

Enter The Mane 6

"Note to self: never forget about Cadence...ever again." I take note as I limp out of the infirmary.

After everything that happened yesterday, I completely forgot about Cadence and needless to say...she really laid into me. Now I have to have pain killers handy for the next week until the pain completely subsides. Damn, for a pampered pony princess, she sure hits hard.

Now, I'm on my way to Celestia's bedchambers to inform her of my condition, once I enter, she rushes over to me and treats me like I'm glass.

"Celestia, I'm fine. Nothing a couple pills won't fix...temporarily." I say.

"I still can't believe Cadence could do something like this, over a date no less." Celestia said.

"It wasn't a date, we were just hanging out as friends. Besides, she's married, and I don't Shining's gonna agree to a harem."

"A what?"

"A harem. On my world, it means being in a relationship with more than one person."

"So, it's like a herd in our world, where ponies mate with more than one life partner."

"Precisely. And that practice is looked down upon in my world."

"Well, it's not that way here."

"Huh?"

"You're allowed more than one wife or husband in Equestria without fear of being ostracized."

That shocked me, I thought she'd be against it...then again, she agreed to Luna's crazy idea of a hare—ahem—herd marriage. "...O-kay." I say, uncertain.

"But," Celestia adds, "you have to let everypony in the herd know that you're adding another mate, and they only join if we all agree."

Annnnd there's the kicker, "Fine by me, I don't see myself marrying anypony other than you and your sister." Celestia was about to ask, but I stopped her, "And no, I haven't made my decision yet."

We began talking about a few things for a little while until a purple unicorn barged in with her friends; she had deep purple eyes, long indigo hair and tail with two streaks in it, pink and purple, wearing a pink button-up blouse that was loose around her torso, a dark purple short skirt with a six pointed magenta star that hung around her waist, covering what needed to be covered, and indigo sneakers with magenta laces.

The other unicorn was an ivory white, curly purple hair and tail, and ocean blue eyes, wearing a baby blue shirt, a greyish white skirt with three blue diamonds on it, and fashionable shoes. Everything about this girl screamed fashion victim.

One of the pegasi was sky blue, messy rainbow hair and tail, and rose eyes, wearing a sports tee with a cloud and lightning bolt with the three primary colors, red, yellow, and blue, tight spandex shorts, and rainbow-ish cleats. This was obviously the athlete of the group.

The other pegasus was yellow, long, flowing pink hair and tail, and aqua eyes, wearing a white blouse, a long green skirt that reached her shins and was marked with three pink butterflies, and what looked to be nurse's shoes. I honestly think this one is some kind of peacekeeper.

Then there were the two earth ponies, the pink one had puffy dark pink hair and tail and baby blue eyes, wearing a blue shirt that looked like it was slightly stained with cake and frosting, a pink short skirt marked with three balloons, one yellow, two blue, that looked a little too short, and yellow high top sneakers. Seeing the smile on this one reminds me too much of my older brother, cheerful and random.

Lastly, the orange one, she had blonde hair and tail both tied into a ponytail (ironically), and green eyes, wearing a plaid shirt, denim pants, and work boots marked with three red apples on each one. This girl looked to be some type of hard worker.

After I finished examining the girls who suddenly broke in here, I motion to Celestia to see what the problem was.

"My faithful student and my loyal subjects, what is the problem?" she asked them.

"Well..." the purple one hesitates, "I think it's best if you see for yourself."

She takes a couple steps back and holds her hand out, in a flash, a Keyblade materializes.

Celestia gasps, "Twilight...you have a Keyblade?!"

"Huh?" they all say.

Now's my time to step in, "Okay, okay," everyone turned to me as I addressed Celestia, "I'll take it from here." she nods and I walk over to them, "Alright, it's like this..." I explain to them everything I know and remember about the Keyblade; what it is, what it can do, and what it means for the girls should the others wield one, "...And that's pretty much all I can tell you."

The girls stand there, processing all this information I gave them. The first one to snap out of it was the purple one, who looked at me with eyes of wonder.

"I can't believe it! This is so amazing and exciting! There new magic that all of us ALL OF US, can learn! I can't wait to get started! When DO we get started?!"

The blue one pulled her back before her tangent could go any futher, "Slow your roll, egghead." she looks at me, "Besides, how do YOU know about this whole 'Keyblade' thing?"

I hold my hand out and show them my own Keyblade as it appears.

"Freaky-deaky!" the pink one says.

"While it is impressive...the design seems a little...dull." the white one comments.

"Gee, thanks." I sarcastically remark.

"I don't think Rarity meant anything bad by it. Oh, I'm Fluttershy..." the yellow one whispers.

"I'm Pinkie Pie!" the pink one introduces.

"My name is Twilight Sparkle." the purple joins in the introductions.

"Ah'm Applejack," she says in a country accent, "an' this here's Rainbow Dash." she pats the blue one's shoulder.

"You already heard my name, but I'll be ladylike and introduce myself, I am Rarity." she said.

"It's nice to meet you all." I said, "Honestly can't believe you're all personal friends with the princess."

Twilight was wide-eyed, "How did you..."

"When you barged in here without knocking first."

Twilight blushed as Celestia laughed, "It's okay, Twilight, you're welcome anytime."

"Anyway, now that that's settled, how many more of you have a Keyblade?"

They all looked at each other, then me as they summoned their Keyblades; Applejack, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, and Rarity respectively.

"Whoa..." I uttered.

"WAIT A MINUTE!!" Rarity shrieked.

"W-What?!"

Rarity got a little too close and examined me, or more specifically my clothes; a red shirt with small holes all over hidden under a black hoodie with a hole at each sleeve, a broken zipper, and a torn right pocket, and my blue denim shorts that the color faded a little bit, but my red sneakers with black laces were brand new.

"This outfit is absolutely horrendous! There's holes everywhere, your hoodie looks like it was tugged every which way, and...IS THAT A HOLE BETWEEN YOUR LEGS?!"

I blushed since I knew what she was talking about, my shorts were so worn out that the fabric started tearing on its own.

"No, no, no! This will not do! This will not do at ALL!" Rarity grabs me by the wrist and proceeds to drag me out of the room, "Come with me, I MUST fix your clothes!"

"That's NOT th' real issue here, Rarity!" Applejack called.

Celestia giggled, but then frowned, "I hope she goes easy on him, he's still recovering from his injuries after all..."


After about an hour, I've had all I can take with this Rarity pony; fixing my clothes is fine, but lecturing me about how I dress?! I like my clothes simple and not over the top! Who does she think she—ahem—sorry, I'm rambling, I do that when I'm angry. Let's get back to the story, shall we?

"I must admit, your shoes are quite fashionable, but wearing too much red is just not done, I think to match your ensemble you need some yellow to complete your red shirt and blue shorts, oh but then your color scheme will be on par with Rainbow's Cutie Mark..." she continues her tangent.

I desperately tried to tune her out, but being the nice and sociable guy I am, I couldn't just ignore somebody talking to me, my mom raised me better than that.

"Sir? Is something wrong?"

It was at that point that I realized I deep in thought and unintentionally ignored everything else she said. Unfortunately I had a bad habit of zoning out most times.

"S-Sorry, I was lost in thought, what's going on now?" I asked.

"I was just saying that I finished fixing your outfit." Rarity answered.

I looked down and saw that she was right; every hole I had was sewn up, the pocket on my hoodie was stitched back together, the gaping holes in my sleeves had extra black fabric added and sewn together to nicely patch them up, and she even went to the trouble of replacing my broken zipper with a brand new one. Guess she really DOES know what she's doing.

"Thank you, Rarity, I appreciate it." I said.

"Oh, it's no trouble, though I would never wear it myself, you DO pull it off either way." Rarity says.

"Are ya finished now, Rarity?"

I didn't know when the other girls came in, but there they are, even Celestia and Luna who were watching in amusement, and Applejack was the one who spoke.

"Yes, Applejack." Rarity answered, stiffly.

"Okay, NOW can you explain what's going on here?" Rainbow asked me impatiently.

I spent the last hour telling the girls what I told Celestia and Luna already. I even told them about parallel Equestrias and the situation we were stuck in with Zeke and the whole Keyblade Graveyard controlling him, giving the Keyblades new wielders, and this Emblem Heartless named Core, not only that, but Zeke was recruiting other wielders to his cause to defeat him. After I was done, the girls other than Celestia and Luna had varying reactions such as shock, fear, determination, and excitement.

"So, lastly, I have to deduce that the Keyblades from the Keyblade Graveyard have chosen you six as their new wielders." I conclude.

"This is astonishing!" Twilight cheered.

"I suppose so." I said, "And now, I have to take you girls on as my apprentices."

"Wait, what?" Rainbow asked, confused.

"Well, I know more about the Keyblade than you all do, so it makes sense that I become your teacher. But..."

"But what?" Twilight asked.

"I'm...not exactly a Keyblade Master yet." again, they looked confused, so I elaborated, "Keyblade wielders can become Keyblade Masters if and when they pass their Mark of Mastery exam."

"Exam?!" Twilight's eyes twinkled.

"Yes, but it is performed differently for each Master and student; some have the students keep a still heart in a state of hostility, most have combat."

"Combat?" Rainbow suddenly looked eager.

"Yes, but it's not a battle for supremacy, there are no winners, only truths, for when two equal powers clash, their true nature is revealed."

"And this is normally how the Mark of Mastery is found?" Luna asked.

"Normally, yes, but there ARE other ways to conduct the exam."

"So lemme see if I got this right," Rainbow began, "you can only teach us by becoming a 'Keyblade Master', and to become one, you need to pass some exam?" I nod, "Then what are we waiting for?!"

"A week for my pain to go away."

"Huh?" they all said again.

"The doctor said after Cadence knocked my block off for leaving her at the café, I have to take pain pills for a whole week till the pain stops completely."

"Ohh...wait, Cadence did what for what?!" Twilight shrieked.

I had a feeling Cadence was in for it now.


After an entire week of healing, and Twilight giving Cadence a chewing out session, the time had come for me to begin my Mark of Mastery exam. Twilight organized the whole affair, Rainbow and Applejack chose to be my sparring partners for this, Pinkie prepared a "Devin Passed His Keyblade Exam" party, Fluttershy's role in this was to be a nurse in case I get any injuries unlike the ones Cadence gave me, and Rarity made me an entirely new outfit for the occasion and I made sure it was durable as well as fashionable. Luna was going to be my final test, for she already has the hang of her Keyblade, minus the Kingdom Hearts magic, of course, Celestia, Cadence, Shining, all of the Royal Guard, and even Twilight's parents, Twilight Velvet and Night Light will be spectators at this exam, making me slightly nervous.

After I put on my new battle ready outfit, a red tunic with yellow shoulder pads that are hooked to matching chains wrapped around my torso in an X with the symbol known as Terra's Mark from the Land of Departure in the center, red shorts with yellow and blue accents, and red and yellow shoes with blue laces, and steeled my nerves, I walked out into the Royal Guard's training area where the exam was taking place and was met with cheers from my viewers. I guess everypony is rooting for me to pass. With no further delay, I walked up to Luna, who was also overseeing this examination, placed my hand over my heart, and bowed like in Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep.

"Devin Freeman, young warrior, hero of princesses...are you ready for the Mark of Mastery examination?" she asked me and I nodded, "I must warn you, this will be done similarly to the Royal Guard's training regimen, but more difficult and intense with these Keyblades we now possess. This will be no easy task. If you wish to back out now, speak. If not, remain silent." everyone was quiet, awaiting my response...but I was silent. I knew there was no turning back now. "I will say again, this will be far from easy."

I stand up straight and gaze my blue eyes into Luna's with an expression of sheer determination and confidence. "Fine. Let's jump right in."

Luna nods, "...Then let the examination begin."

Here we go.

Author's Note:

Next chapter: an interlude involving the week my character was incapacitated.

Stay tuned!