• Published 15th Feb 2017
  • 7,174 Views, 104 Comments

The Bridge: Building Bridges - Tarbtano



Cutesy Bridge fluff for some of the stories couples

  • ...
3
 104
 7,174

The Flirt: Blade Dancer - Xenilla

Blade Dancer’s eyes slowly began to flutter open from an evidently blissful rest given her content smile and deep slumber. Said smile soon flattened when she began to feel something wasn’t quite right. Gone was the radiating heat and firm muscle she’d been electing to call her favorite pillow, replaced with, well, a pillow. The guardsmare’s eyes snapped open and she jolted upwards to look at where she was. She was in the same room in the Crystal Castle she recalled falling asleep in, the excessive quartz crystals and large stacks of books were evident to that, but the one she’d been sleeping on, Xenilla, was sitting across the room with his back to her and surrounded by several piles of library rentals. Blade Dancer lowered her brow at the stallion and snorted, not fond of being shortchanged out of her favorite resting spot even if he’d been kind enough not to wake her. The kaiju in question, either sensing her through the surrounding crystals or just by being a good guesser, threw his voice over his shoulder.

“Oh, you’re awake. Good morning, Blades.”

“How long ago did you get up?”

“I don’t sleep much. I’ve been awake for three hours now.”

Electing to drop her annoyance, either due to it not being worth it or her having difficulty staying miffed at the social dolt, Blade Dancer took a moment to stretch out before beating her wings to hover over to Xenilla. Landing on top of Xenilla upside down, Blade Dancer laid her head atop his and looked at the books he was levitating in front of him.

“Not too surprised there, Junior was the same way back in Canterlot. What you hoofing through?”

“Defensive spells and wards.”

Xenilla muttered, turning one book upside down so Blade Dancer could make out the annotated illustrations for a barrier guard.

“After King Sombra’s unexpected recovery I’m not waiting to see if him dying this time sticks or not. And in light of Empress Cadenza and Prince Consort Armor’s history with this Queen Chrysalis figure whom is at large, I’m not taking this risk.”

Blade Dancer puzzled at the book, inwardly grumbling given this likely meant another shut-in day for Xenilla.

-And after that fiasco in Canterlot, he and I could both use a day not cooped up. Hmm….-

“I swore I’d protect the Empire and the Crystal Imperial Royal Family, an oath I intend to uphold.”

One could practically see the lightbulb go off over Blade Dancer’s head as she lit up with a realization. Rolling herself over to rest her chin on Xenilla’s scalp just behind his horn, she tapped at his shoulder.

“Well, you know that also involves getting on their good side. Might want to secure that especially considering you kinda used Princess-”

“-Empress.”, Xenilla stubbornly corrected, earning an eye roll and chuckle from Blade Dancer.

“Right, Empress. You did kinda use her as bait.”

“I appreciate the reminder…”, Xenilla shrugged, earning a slight wing-hug from the pegasus mare.

“Buuuuuut, she is going to be having that baby. Maybe you could start by getting the tyke a baby shower gift!”

Xenilla went silent for a time. After several long moments, Blade Dancer looked at his reflection in a crystal and saw the kaiju-turned-stallion had a wide eyed, almost shocked expression frozen onto his face.

“The baby…”

“Xenny?”, Blade Dancer muttered with concern growing on her face.

Xenilla trembled slightly.

“She’s been with child all this time and didn’t know. She jumped into the fray against King Sombra not knowing she was pregnant and then didn’t follow any maternity procedures afterwards!”

“Uh, ehehe. But the doctors at Canterlot did say the kid was alright, remember?”

Xenilla suddenly stood up and tossed his book on wards and defenses to the wall, moving up in such motion he didn’t even feel Blade Dancer’s weight on his back as she was picked up with him.

“Yes but those fools also said Empress Cadenza’s magical aura inhibited their sensors, details could have been missed! Healthy yes, but they couldn’t even tell the race!”

Blade Dancer clung to Xenilla’s neck and back, feeling his temperature grow as it usually did when his heart rate increased. She futilely tried to pat at his shoulder and stop the train she unknowingly set in motion despite the fact it was clear there were no brakes.

“Ehehe, Xenny? Calm down now. It’s not like she’s been in anything stressfu-”

“Icka’brod’s attack on me! She attempted to halt it and nearly passed out. I’d say that counts as stressful. Come on, we’re going!”

“Where?!”

Xenilla telekinetically threw his doorway open and power walked down the hall past a confused Flash Sentry.

“To secure the means to ensure a stable pregnancy. The heir to the Crystal Empire is at risk and if the Empress and Prince Consort decide to be ignorant of actions ensued in their chambers, I will not. The rest of Empress Cadenza’s term must flow to the best degree to ensure a healthy progeny, something I will see to!”

Blade Dancer only had mind to make sure she had her bits satchel on her before hopping off and jogging alongside Xenilla. She could hope this was going to be sensible, keyword being hope.

-This is the same guy whose strategy for getting at Sombra was to get himself thrown in jail… Well, least I got him out of his study!-

========================
Crystal Empire, Main Street
========================

After rushing the library and checking out half a dozen books on pregnancy and healthy foal growth, Blade Dancer found herself walking down towards the market district alongside Xenilla; who had books levitated in front of the both of them to look through as they went along.

“So you sure you don’t mind me tagging along?”

Blade Dancer muttered after reading through a passage on pregnant exercise regimes, cocking an eye at the large stallion beside her.

“Of course not. You proved yourself to have a sharp wit the first day we met.”

“Wheeen I read a big book or shot you down after punching you?”

“Latter.” Xenilla grunted almost casually without breaking stride. He sensed the frown forming on her face and chased it down.

“What I meant was, I’ve respected you since then. To be honest I thought you to be some love-drunk who tailed my brother due to some beauty standards in your culture. I am... happy, to have been proven wrong. Didn’t hurt your case that you were actually right about me.”

Blade Dancer’s smile returned, beaming sweetly while she put a wing across Xenilla’s back. Xenilla made no attempt to protest, he simply didn’t want to considering his second reason.

“We’ll need all the information we can get for the child. To be honest, and please do not repeat this in front of others; but I admire your emotional maturity. Certainly more stable than I was. So, I appreciate your company, greatly.”

“For the help?”

“For it in itself.”

Blade Dancer’s face started to turn as red as her hair and she shot Xenilla a sly look. Despite the fact his face was obscured by his book, she’d remembered what his body temperature increasing meant and could feel it on her wing. She knew how badly he must have been flushing despite his covered face. The pegasus snickered with a tiny squeal, using her other wing feather to turn her page.

“Says here on nutrition there is a table of things recommended for the mother to consume to ensure optimal balance through the placenta.”

“May I?”

Blade Dancer nodded and let Xenilla telekinetically switch the books around.

“Hm. Big list, where could we secure these?”

“Think the health store should have good stock… I take it that’s our next stop?”

“... Do you need to really ask that?”


=============
Health Store
=============

Blade Dancer methodically read through a list while perched against the cashier’s desk, half mumbling to herself how Xenilla managed to scribble all this down, let alone take the time to cross the “t”s and dot the “i”s while in a sprint. She had to remind herself this was Xenilla she was thinking about, whom was busy scanning the aisles for the other half of the list.

“And we’ll need-”

She squinted and held it up closer to make sure she was reading it right.

“-crushed or ground citrus skins for the C vitamins, copper, calcium and folate. Um, you got any oranges?”

“Make sure to cover the kelp or kelp powder for the pantothenic acid and zinc, can substitute for frost moss considering the climate here and we’re land locked-”

Xenilla called out from behind an aisle, stopping to momentarily rub his chin.

‘-unless I convinced someone to change me so I could fly to the coast.”

Blade Dancer rolled her eyes, not looking up from her list.

“No, we are not doing that just so we can get fresh kelp.”

She leaned over towards the incredibly confused and equally amused store clerk.

“Please tell me you've got frost moss…”

“Aisle 2.”

"Hey! Aisle 2 for moss!-"

She turned back around to the clerk with a smile and nod.

"Thank yoooou.”

The cashier giggled, popping up on her tippy hooves to see the top of Xenilla’s head poking out over an aisle and heading to the aforementioned aisle 2.

“Hehe, dedicated one. That him?”

“Yeeeep, that’s my dork. Might as well be the king of them too.”

“Well if he’s still dead-set on stuff like this, he’s a keeper!”

She snickered, elbowing a blushing Blade Dancer. Blade Dancer smiled adorably before tallying up the charge.

“And you sure you don’t mind this big an order?”

“Hey you got enough to pay for it and then some. I’m just not sure about getting all this so soon since some of it is perishable.”

Blade Dancer could only shrug in response.

“Trust me, we wouldn’t leave the market district without a full list. And according to the books on this sort of thing we’re actually at about the right time.”

The clerk paused and went quiet for awhile, causing Blade Dancer to look over at her with a tilted head.

“... What?”

The clerk stood there blinking a few times before cocking an eyebrow and looking back and forth between Blade Dancer’s head, something lower down, and then at the distant head of Xenilla sticking out from above the sign for aisle 2. Her face curled into a look of complete befuddlement.

“A-Are you sure you want all this stuff so soon? Most of these go bad long before you’d need them.”

“Huh?”

“I mean, I can understand you maybe getting it out of worry. After all you’re a pretty big mare and he’s enormous, so your kid will probably be plus size too. But...shouldn’t you be showing more by now?”

One could have heard a pin drop both in and outside of Blade Dancer’s head as her eyes popped out wide and her lips tightened. In the span of half a second her face went from near porcelain pale to cherry red and both of her broad wings shot straight up. Evidently, either due to the relative quiet in the store or enhanced senses a kaiju, Xenilla had heard that last part too. Nearly half a minute ticked by before he awkwardly grunted and held up a jar from behind the aisle.

“....Found the frost moss. Where’s the citrus skins?”

“Oranges on aisle 4.”



It was late afternoon when they finally started heading back to the castle, Blade Dancer not minding Xenilla was the one who was carrying most of the “groceries” via levitating them above them even though she insisted on hauling some of them herself. Both of them were still more than a touch red in the face from earlier.

“....”

“....”

“....”

“I feel communication could have gone better.”

“You did ki-inda charge into the store to attack the crystal aisle for minerals.”

“... My apologies, communication hasn’t been my forte.”

“She said “showing more by now”, do I look-”

“Rotund? Enlarged? Inflamed?”

Blade Dancer’s face deadpanned instantly.

“Pregnant.”

Xenilla opted to look off to the side, feeling awkward for one of the first times in his life.

“No. I think you seem very much, not so… I’m told you’re quite the looker by your race’s standards and you seem very toned and fit to me.”

Blade Dancer perked her ears up some and tilted her head.

“Who told you that? Not denying it mind you but I didn’t take you for the type to ask.”

“One of the female guards at Canterlot. Cached’ something I think.”

“Oooh Cached Ire, we used to date.”

Xenilla’s voice momentarily faltered and if Blade Dancer wasn’t so confused by it given how used she was to his normal tone, she’d think he actually sounded defensive as he started walking a bit closer to her.

“She seemed still plenty fond of you…”

“We’re still friends, was an amicable break-up. I’m on good terms with most of my exes.”

Xenilla went quiet for a time, giving Blade Dancer time to look him over. While he wasn’t quite anything ideal by a hetero or bisexual mare like herself, and this certainly wasn’t his true form; there was definitely a type of charm there he shared with his brother. Tall, muscular build, a bit of a dangerous-looking appearance with the short fangs, colored sclera, and bony nasal ridge. Bulk wise he was very comparable to Godzilla Junior, but the more structured, less wild-looking mane gave him a more intelligent and orderly look complete with what almost looked like sideburns. When she first met him, Blade Dancer actually didn’t like it a bit given the behavior and demeanor behind that look seemed to zig in every way Junior zagged. Junior kept his stance relaxed, hunching slightly in laxness which took away a bit from his height; while talking in a dutiful but casual manner that made him seem friendlier. Fact he was so easy to confuse and tease at with her flirting made him just a treat. Xenilla at the start always carried himself high, puffing his chest out some and keeping his head straight up and level to look down on others. His tone was very intelligent, but smug to the point of condescending.

But ever since the fallout of his fight with King Sombra, especially after she’d seen him have a breakdown; that image of Xenilla never popped up. He still stood tall, had a method to his speech, and avoided nonsense as much as possible as evident by the meaning of this day out; but it wasn’t smug or prideful anymore. He’d emote, he’d worry, and he’d actually take others around him into consideration. This was the Xenilla Blade Dancer was guessing at was the true one ever since the day she saw him get uncharacteristically quiet upon discovering the aerenth crystal as well as saved her from a falling hunk of ceiling.

And, this was the Xenilla she found herself liking more and more. The fact she could tell he wasn’t rejecting some of her old, playful nature was definitely a bonus as the return of the flirt ensued. Blade Dancer sighed, leaning in a bit closer and pushing her head up against Xenilla’s neck to feel the heat coming off him. The heat momentarily increased and she felt it spreading to her scalp and ears. Xenilla had put his snout across the top of her head. After staying like that for awhile, they pulled away, shooting each other a smile before approaching the castle doors.

“I’m sorry if this day out caused some chaos for you.”

“Meh, read this and I’ll see to it that we make it even.”

Blade Dancer muttered with a wink as she pushed a book into Xenilla’s face. Xenilla pulled the paperback off his snout and looked at the cover, seeing an illustration of a pegasus on a mat of some sort with another atop them with hooves on their back.

“... Wing massages and preening, how-to for dummi-... You insult my intelligence, Miss Dancer.”

Blade Dancer put a hoof to her mouth, snickering before bringing down one of her wings on Xenilla’s haunch.

Author's Note:

Proofed by Lance-Omikron and Faith-Wolff!

Up Next!:
Princess Luna and Godzilla Junior, 2/25