• Published 15th Apr 2017
  • 9,099 Views, 683 Comments

The Worst of All Possible Worlds - TheTimeSword



Sunset Shimmer returns to Equestria only to find Twilight Sparkle battling a strange pony named Starlight Glimmer. Unbeknownst to Sunset, Starlight has altered the past, forcing Sunset to deal with reigniting her friendships all over again.

  • ...
25
 683
 9,099

PreviousChapters Next
World 5: Chapter 7

The pain that spiked through her spine and wings was still there, though the cold wind helped in numbing the muscles that constantly contracted as she flew. Sunset’s destination wasn’t far; the floating city of Canterlot stuck out like coal amongst eggs. Detached from the mountainside, it held suspended weightlessly, a curious choice most likely done by the spirit of chaos himself. She hoped the activity of finding Applejack would force her mind to ignore what Discord had shown her, to push down the feelings he drudged up.

But it was the flight to Canterlot that gave her the time she needed to repress. A silent voyage that marveled at the gashed earth below. From uprooted trees and buildings and even a lake that flowed up rather than down. All the abnormalities she'd grown accustomed to seeing from the strange world. In this unusual scape of hectic energies, it filled her with a sense of peace. She was not the most abnormal thing by far, whereas the previous worlds only magnified that fact by tenfold.

Even as the city of Canterlot came closer into view, it was clear it was not the same Canterlot she had grown up in. The purple and creamy white buildings with speckles of gold mixed in were all there. That much hadn’t changed. Yet as she entered from above, Sunset could tell an overgrowth of greenery had settled in. Claws of vines wracked windows and sides of buildings, trees had grown and subdued smaller hovels and enveloped towers, and the grass had become so overgrown that no mower would pierce the stalks.

It reminded her of the Castle of the Two Sisters, without the devastation of the structures. For a decayed civilization, the homes held no cracks, no scorch marks, not even a brick was out of place. The roads of marble were the only things that succumbed to the shrubberies takeover, and even then, it was only in certain areas where the road had previously cracked. Who fired the gardener? Sunset wondered, needing the levity.

As she glided to the ground, hoping to find some answers, she instead found life continued on as normal. Compared to the Not-So-Bad-Badlands and Las Discord, it was only the ardent growth that was different from the other Canterlots. Ponies managed their lives as best they could, dull to the masses of plants around them. She watched as a pony trotted out from their home, following the sidewalk, completely ignoring the four-yard high shoots of grass surrounding them. Life goes on. It was then and there she realized that the bearer of the Element of Honesty might be among these creatures of habit, going about her life as if nothing had changed between the shifts of power. Perhaps one of the few bearers that did not succumb to the villainous nature this world had twisted the last two.

Of course, that was until she heard of the trial.

A café, which was covered in thorny vines, sat on the corner of the street. The waiter stepped over the coagulated creeper as if it had always been there, serving tea to the two chatty mares who wore sunhats and fancy gowns. Sunset couldn’t help but listen to the gossiping gals, awestruck by their obliviousness of the unusual world around them. It was from these two that she heard of the trial, a trial for the worst mare in all of Canterlot. Sunset knew it was Applejack. She knew it immediately. The previous two had been villains, why did she feel the need to pretend that Applejack might be different? “Excuse me, where is this trial being held?” she interrupted the loquacious birds.

“Eavesdropping? How rude!” one of the mares gasped, while the other blocked Sunset’s face with her hat. Neither would answer the alicorn, and so she was forced to press on.

Knowing the castle was a place too obvious to hold a trial, she headed there anyway. In a city that operated normally, there was little reason to be apprehensive of possible deceits. The only true trickery was on her for believing that it would be abnormal.

Her thoughts were confirmed as she reached the castle gates, finding a plethora of noble ponies passing through to bear witness to the trial. Grass had shot up several meters high, preventing her from gliding down without notice. Instead, worming her way into the crowd, she attempted to blend past any guards that might find it suspicious that a new princess, who had never been seen prior to Discord’s reign, would suddenly appear. Of course, this deception only aided in her being pushed around by the crowd, forcing her in directions she had no desire to go. As the group collapsed into the ballroom, Sunset tucked her wings beneath her backpack and turned right around for the door. A guard pony decked out in gold was roaming the halls outside, patrolling for whatever danger that supposedly lurked around every corner.

“Excuse me, could you point me in the direction of the trial?” she asked in the most polite voice she could muster, keeping her wings from view.

And the guard pony answered, though not in a way she expected. “Bark bark,” he barked, pointing his spear down the hall. “Bark. Bark bark, woof.”

“Uh, okay.” Sunset stood stunned for a moment, not understanding exactly what had transpired. “Thanks, I guess.” Trotting away from her bewilderment, the guard continued his patrol. She followed his unusual direction and eventually found herself at the throne room, which was allowing in the last of the visitors. Sticking herself on the tail end, she found the entirety of the throne had been converted into a courtroom.

The throne was where the judge sat, along with a smaller seat for witnesses beside it. Two podiums sat in front, while the rest of the room was blocked off by a chest-high fence. Most of the benches were filled, cramming as many ponies as possible. Forced to an edge near the back, Sunset sat close to the corner of the room. Guard ponies ordered everyone to be seated, and Sunset only figured out why once the prosecutor and defendant were brought in.

Applejack. Her heart sunk when she saw the burnt orange mare in chains. Besides being a shade darker and a frown that drooped low, this Applejack looked as normal as normal was for this world. Her hat was the only thing missing. The prosecutor, a greasy stallion in a business suit, spat in the bearer’s direction when both reached their respective podiums. What has she done? Is it as bad as Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash? Worse? She pushed to the edge of her seat, waiting for the trial to begin.

“All rise for the honorable judge,” commanded a pony with a booming voice.

Standing, Sunset stood on the tips of her hooves to see who exactly was presiding over the trial. Her jaw tightened, disturbing her formerly curious expression. That little jerk!? Her face went red with anger, almost losing her cool then and there. She regained her focus as the guard pony barked everyone to sit. There’s no way this’ll be a fair trial. It doesn’t matter what Applejack has done, she doesn’t deserve to be tried by that egregious thing.

“What is on the ol’ agenda for the day, eh?” the judge asked as he shuffled paperwork and straightened his curly white pompadour. The wig certainly didn’t make him look any better. “The people against Applejack for committin’ atrocities against Canterlot, includin’ forgery, theft, griftin’, and the purgin’ of all edible foods. ‘Ey, well then, this seems like an open and shut, y’know?” The judge bellowed with laughter, causing an uproar from the audience. “Alright, alright. Let’s make this fair. How’d’ya plead, toots?” the revolting rat asked.

“Not guilty,” Applejack hollered back, rousing another roar of laughter.

“Uh huh. Whatever you say. Prosecutor?”

“We ask for a guilty verdict, jailed for life,” the greasy stallion replied.

“Granted. Defendant is guilty.” The judge then rang the hammer and stood from his seat.

“That’s not fair!” Sunset stood, blisteringly screaming, causing a commotion of gasps from the ponies around her. Shoving her way to the aisle, Sunset made it to the front only to be stopped by the guards. “This isn’t a fair trial! Applejack has no lawyer, no evidence has been presented, and no witnesses have been called!”

The judge, staring from his seat, pulled down his oversized sunglasses. “Well, what’d’ya know? It’s the little princess that kept ruining my vacations.”

“How’d you even become a judge!?” Sunset snarled.

The rat judge kicked up his unkempt feet, displaying nasty toenails for all to see. “Eight years of law school, baby. I’m the only one qualified to oversee trials while the, eh heh, honorable princesses are indisposed.”

Grimacing, Sunset shook her head. “Well, I’m a princess, so that makes me judge now!”

The whole room recognized Sunset as such. All eyes fell on her and grew wide at the display of wings and horn. Whispers and awed gasps created a litany of sound throughout the room. The rat judge ruffled his body forward, bearing his ugly set of crooked teeth. “Sorry honey, but that ain’t how the court system works round here. Once a judge is on a case, that judge remains.”

“Then I declare a mistrial,” Sunset argued.

“Except the trial is over, a mistrial can only be called during the trial itself,” chimed in the greasy stallion. His dark eyes were peering over her with an awfully immodest glare. “You’re thinking of an appeal. Which, by the way, may only be called on by her lawyer, which she failed to obtain. Nobody wanted to defend her.”

“Then I call for an appeal or a mistrial or whatever y’all say it is,” Applejack shot back. Her whole body turned to face Sunset as she said, “And I want her to be my lawyer.”

Another round of gasps flowed through the crowd of onlookers, which roused the rat judge to slam down his gavel. “Order! Order in this here court!” he commanded. “Alright, alright. You want another trial? So be it. Toots, you accept bein’ her lawyer?”

“I do,” Sunset approved.

“Fine. Suit yourself. We will reconvene in forty-eight hours for the retrial of Applejack of the Apple family. Bail is set at five thousand bits, and I certainly cannot wait to see what little miss princess over there comes up with. Guards, escort Applejack back to her cell.”

As the royal guard took Applejack away, the earth pony stared her sad eyes at Sunset, and the rest of the spectators filtered out. The rat judge was shielded on his way out too, his dark black robe far too big for his stout, short body. “Lawyering for Applejack, huh?” the deep, abrasive voice spoke to Sunset from the podium. “You know she’s going to lose, right? I haven’t lost a case since my apprenticeship.” The greasy stallion came closer, putting his hooves on the fence that separated court and audience. “I wouldn’t mind giving you a few tips and tricks, not that it’ll do you much good. Her case is unwinnable.” He shot her a wink before passing through the gate and exiting out the courtroom.

I do need a few tips, actually. Not from that sleazeball, of course, but it’s not like I know the first thing about being a lawyer. She stilted against the fence, formulating a plan. First things first, I need to talk to Applejack. If anyone can tell me why she’s really on trial it’d be best straight from the defendant’s mouth.

As she wandered back into the hall, she found that the guards had vanished. She didn’t need them, however. The dungeons hadn’t changed in this world, regardless of the floating city’s predicament. The cold, damp stone paved the way to the cells. A single guard was on duty down within this long hall that never changed. Sleeping peacefully, little murmurs of yips and woofs leapt from his lips, leaving Sunset to recognize that all guards would be unintelligible without a translator. If Fluttershy were here, she might be able to help me out. I wonder where in the world she is, I haven’t seen sign or tail of her.

Several cells were empty or held ponies who did not recognize Sunset, nor did she recognize them. Halfway down the corridor, she found the orange pony lying on the rough cot that was strapped to the wall. The Element of Honesty was staring up at the ceiling, perhaps hoping that if she stared long enough she could drill a hole straight through. “Your lawyer has arrived,” Sunset spoke to the earth pony, rousing the mare from her bed. “I’m here to find out everything I need to know about you.”

Hopping off the bed and rushing to the iron bars, Applejack pressed her face to a gap, a smile pursing her lips, plumping her cheeks. “Oh thank goodness. Finally, someone who can grant my bail.”

“Bail? Sorry, I don’t have that kind of money,” Sunset responded, smiling back, albeit awkwardly.

“What?” pouted Applejack, “But you’re a princess. Can’t you tap into some bank account or somethin’? You’ve got to get me out of here! I’m goin’ mad!” She shook the bars and spun her eyes. “They took my hat, they won’t let me get any of my money, and the prison food is worse than strawberries! Sometimes it is strawberries!”

Sunset scratched the back of her head. “I’ll see what I can do, but don’t expect me to promise. This princess thing is a bit new to me. Being a lawyer is too, unfortunately, but I intend to do my best to get you out of this jam.”

The earth pony sighed, sinking her head lower. “I suppose I ain’t got much of a choice but to trust you—wait, did’ya just say you’re new to being a princess?” Her brows shot together as she sternly examined Sunset. “Come to think of it, that Princess Luna’s only came around recently too. Ain’t ever heard of her before she appeared, but Princess Celestia claimed she was her long lost sister. You a, uh, daughter or something?”

“Daughter!?” A sudden flush coated Sunset’s cheeks and muzzle. “No… No, I’m not—it’s not like that. I was a student to Celestia—well, I’m actually not from this Equestria. I’m from another world where Discord doesn’t rule. I need you and five others to win his game.”

“Not that I’m not grateful for help from a princess from another world, but why me? What’s so special about them five others and me?”

“You’re a bearer of the Elements of Harmony, specifically honesty. All six of you are different bearers. In my world, you six are the best of friends. You’ve practically defeated every villain you’ve come against, you’ve made my Equestria safe and peaceful. What’s so special, you ask? Well, you’re my friends—and that’s what makes you special,” answered Sunset, getting lost in the explanation. They are my friends, regardless of what Discord has made them. I’m not going to lose this one. Time to show Discord the power of friendship. “Will you help me?”

“If I say no, are you still going to help me with this trial?”

“Yes. You’re a friend in need. I’m not going to abandon you high and dry if you refuse to help me.” Of course, after I win this trial for you, I’m going to drag you back regardless. Discord thinks I’m selfish, huh? Next time I talk to him, I’m going to give him what for.

Applejack craned her head, rubbing the soft fur of her chin. “Hmm. I’m gonna have to look and see what sort of profit can be made from helpin’ you… but I’m not sayin’ no just yet. I like the flattery, though.” She chuckled. “You think you can win?”

With a shrug, Sunset threw Applejack’s words back at her, “I’m not saying no just yet.”

“Alright. You get me bailed and then we can go over all the details for my case.” Before Sunset could argue about money, Applejack added, “I’ve got a bank account here in Canterlot. Just go there with my signature and tell ‘em you have power of attorney. They’ll give you the money. You got a piece of paper on ya, by chance?”

Pulling a notebook out from her backpack, which she was thankful still had everything after the ordeal with Rainbow Dash, she tore a piece of paper and handed Applejack a pen. Jotting down her name in the worst cursive writing Sunset had ever seen, Applejack also wrote down details to the bank teller. Sealing it before Sunset could see what she'd written, Applejack handed back the rolled up paper. “That should get you the money you need to bail me. If you can be quick about it, I’d really appreciate it. Forty-eight hours ain’t a whole lot of time, even in this world. Though maybe if you take us to Las Discord, I’ve heard that—”

Sunset cut her off, “Las Discord has been… taken care of.” Did capturing Rainbow Dash fix the time dilation? I really should have checked on that before Discord transported us. Whoops. “Forty-eight hours should be plenty enough time, I just need you to focus on remembering where evidence we could utilize is at, along with any witnesses that might be on your side. I don’t know exactly what you’ve done, but it can’t be as bad as some of the things I’ve seen.”

Applejack winced ever so slightly, but it was there, and Sunset saw it. “Yeah, I think I can do that. You just focus on gettin’ me out of here, first.”

Stuffing the note into a side pocket of her backpack, Sunset gave a nod. “I’ll be back within the hour.” She then rushed off, sprinting back down the hall. The guard had yet to wake up, giving her the opportunity to avoid explaining herself. Rushing up to the rest of the castle, she made no move to stop her charge. Though the pains in her wings hadn't faded, she chose to burst into the open air and take flight, heading directly for the bank of Canterlot. If I remember correctly, it’s called Canterlot Treasury and Records, she reminisced as she flew, eyeing the foliage-covered buildings beneath her wings. It might be tough to find.

Though the expanded plant-life made it difficult to parse the buildings apart, the locations had not changed. As such, Sunset set down in the business sector of Canterlot where accountants, lawyers, politicians, and other such lowlifes made their daily demands. Studying each sign, she passed by ponies whose characteristics matched the chaotic life that had been sprung upon them. One pony she trotted by walked backwards and spoke in reverse. Another, this one a pegasus, had been transformed into a robot, or cyborg, or android. Sunset couldn’t tell exactly where the circuitry ended and the flesh began, but she chose not to question it.

In a world of oddities, Sunset started to feel right at home, herself an oddity as well. A feeling she recognized but refused to give into, which was an understandable reaction. The previous world was still a stain that would not be cleansed easily. The seeping of regret every time she thought of the Community timeline was enough to kick the word home right out of her consciousness. Of course, she tried to think of the previous world as little as possible. Like a father subtracting himself from his family to focus on work, Sunset told herself that she was moving forward for the right reasons. What reasons were those, exactly? I don’t know, but next time Discord and I meet, I’m going to ask him, and I don’t care if he lies to me.

Passing by storefronts meant to showcase business related talents, she found the areas that lacked grass still had their walls coated in shrubbery. Roses sprung up against one building, resembling that of a claw mark or a hand grasping from the earth. When Sunset finally made it to the Canterlot Treasury and Records, she found that it'd become a tree. It was not, however, like that of the Golden Oaks Library of Ponyville. Instead, upon entering, she discovered that a redwood had sprouted up from the center of the teller station and stuffed its branches through the skylight and out onto the roof, covering it entirely.

Ponies sat around discussing with accountants their financial plans while others stood in line waiting to deposit or withdraw from one of the teller mares. One of the bankers was dressed up as a clown while another mare's face was upside-down. The third was a little filly, which would have been normal enough for Sunset had she not seen the crab claws for hooves. Choosing the mare with the upside-down face, Sunset stood in line, waiting patiently for the few ponies to finish their transactions.

When it came time for her to greet the teller, Sunset pulled the note from her backpack. “Hi there, I’m here to make a withdraw,” she said as she started to show the paper, but a quick glance forced it back before the banker could see. You idiot!

“Everything alright, ma’am?” the teller asked, her eyebrow pushing down rather than up.

Sunset caught it just in time, the sadistic words written above Applejack’s cursive signature. She’s either trying to get rid of me or she’s really deserving of that cell, she scathingly thought. The note read: “This is a robbery. Give all the money in the vault to me.” Crumpling up the notepaper, Sunset gave a brief, yet very audible groan of disgust. She shook her head and thumped her muzzle, knowing she could never show just the signature to the teller.

“Yes, uh, I’m a princess. I don’t suppose there are funds specifically for princesses, are there?” Sunset asked, hoping for a bit of luck.

“Do you have any proof that you’re a princess?” the mare tonelessly asked.

Sunset pushed her head forward as if she didn’t understand. Extending her wings to full span, she replied, “I have wings and a horn, isn’t that enough proof?”

“No. Do you have any regalia? Any guards?”

Thinking fast, Sunset levitated the journal she had gotten a few worlds ago out from her backpack. “Here’s my regalia,” she replied, showing the backside of the watch that she'd attached to the binding. Hoping to keep the watch face from view, Sunset gave an awkward smile.

“That’s a watch,” the upside-down face replied, clearly unimpressed.

Slapping her forehead, Sunset shoved the journal back into her bag. “Alright, I don’t have any proof. Can I withdraw from my account then?”

“Sure, what’s your name?”

“Sunset Shimmer,” she replied.

“Any identification?”

Her bottom lip curled down as she winced, knowing she had nothing as proof. Wait! My student ID! Opening a pocket within the backpack, Sunset dragged out the photo identification for CHS. Shoving it to the mare, she said, “Sunset Shimmer, right here.”

The teller mare took the ID in both hooves and stared at it. She stared for a long while. “What the heck is this thing?” she eventually said.

“It’s me! Can’t you tell?” Sunset replied, taking the identification’s photo and shoving it next to her face. “Oh, wait.” Right. Not a pony. Whoops. “Alright, I’ve got nothing.”

With a shrug, the teller leaned left and yelled, “Next!”

“Hold on!” Sunset threw a foreleg up, refusing to be pushed aside. “Can I make a withdraw as Princess Celestia?”

A frown extended upright on the upside-down pony’s face. “There’s no way you can seriously be saying that you’re Princess Celestia.”

“You can’t prove I’m not! Look, I’ve got wings and a horn,” she said, flashing them both. “And I’ve got a sun cutie mark.” Shoving her butt on the counter, Sunset slapped the imagery. “Therefore, I am Princess Celestia. Now give me money.”

“Princess Celestia is white.”

“Yeah, but this is Discord’s world now, so I was transformed… and shortened! And I also lost my wavy hair due to a, uh… deltiology incident!”

The upside-down face shook with surprise. “Deltiology? That sounds quite serious. But where’s your sister?”

Uh, duh.” Sunset jutted her top teeth in a scornful display of mockery. “It’s not nighttime. Why would she be here? I’m not so certain you’re a real citizen of Canterlot if you don’t recognize me or my sister’s habits. Maybe I should rethink my ideology on banishing ponies…”

“Oh, Princess Celestia! What a wonderful surprise it is to have you in our midst,” the teller mare suddenly shouted loud enough for all the bank to hear. “What can I do for you today, princess?”

“I’d like to withdraw five thousand bits, please,” Sunset replied, a smug sense of satisfaction oozing with every word.

“Right away. Anything for you, Princess Celestia.” The teller then rushed off, only to return a minute later with a sack full of golden coins. “Here you are, princess. Will that be all for today?”

Bowing, Sunset replied, “Yes, thank you.” As she began to walk away, she shouted, “I’ll have your efforts duly noted by our merit department and you shall be rewarded as such.” Exiting the bank, Sunset found that she quite like posing as Princess Celestia, even if it was rather obvious she wasn’t.

With the heavy brown sack in hoof, Sunset took the sky, hoisting the bag with both forelegs. It took her a much slower effort to reach the castle with the extreme weight, but upon arrival she was glad that the heaviness remained the only issue. I’ve never even had this much in my bank account, much less on me. I just hope Celestia doesn’t ask me to pay her back. Trotting her way through the castle to the dungeons, she eventually found the guard, still sleeping, and slapped the fat sack down on the table in front of him, causing him to stir. “I’d like to bail Applejack, please.”

Wiping the drool from his lips, the guard barked twice and rose to get the paperwork. After the thirty-minute process of him counting the coins, he gave an affirmative yap. Following him to Applejack’s cell, the guard unlocked the iron bars and pushed open the jail cell. “You did it! I didn’t think you had it in you,” Applejack commended, rushing to hug the alicorn.

But Sunset put a hoof out, stopping the earth pony. “Yeah, and I was lucky enough to outsmart the teller instead of handing her your shoddy note. If I hadn’t noticed, I would be in the cell next to you,” she growled.

“Aw, come on now. You’re a princess, you coulda solved that lickety-split. Not like anyone would’ve stopped you, ain’t no one had the gall to stand up for themselves since Discord took over,” the earth pony remarked with a shrug of her shoulders. “But if you didn’t rob the place then how’d you get the money? I know I sure as shoot didn’t have none.”

“I claimed to be Princess Celestia and the mare behind the counter bought it,” Sunset replied.

“Well that wasn’t very honest of you,” Applejack scolded, her mouth slanting into a hard line. Pushing her brows together, she stared at the alicorn with a judging, cold gaze, which abruptly faded. “I always did say lawyer and liar were two sides of the same coin. Glad you’re on my side, anypony who can pull a scam like that is worth their weight in bits.”

Rolling her eyes, Sunset replied, “Gee, thanks.”

With a hefty tug, Applejack wrapped her foreleg around Sunset’s neck and pulled her close. “Once this trial is over, you’re gonna have to show me how ya did it. I might be good at pulling the wool over somepony’s eyes but I could always use more tricks up my hat.” She thumped the hat that didn’t exist. “You got a place we can discuss the case? ‘Fraid all my spots were raided and turned into trash heaps, the crummy louts.”

“There’s only one place I can think of that’s good enough to go over everything,” Sunset said, tapping her chin.

“Is it on castle grounds? Because I don’t want them thinkin’ I’ve run off,” Applejack replied.

“Well, it’s not in the castle, but it is close enough.”

Shifting to one side, Applejack gave a disappointed sigh. “It’ll have to do, I guess. Better than standing around in this dank place.” With that resoundingly enthusiastic response, Sunset led the apple mare up and out of the castle. Following the marble path between the tall stalks of grass, they came to a stubble of a trail, one that arched the blades of grass, forming a tunnel. Pressing in, they found the other side was exactly where Sunset wanted to be.

Falling apart and soaked in overgrown weeds that sprouted like wildfire from the walls, the quaint tower home was more than enough to give Sunset and Applejack their overdue talk. Unfortunately, the pathway up into the vestibule was blocked by roots which wrapped around the staircase like a smothering snake. “I can fly us up to the door,” Sunset started to say, but was cut off by the earth pony’s hoof.

Applejack pressed both forelegs onto the first root, which disintegrated beneath them, and then continued onto the next. She made no effort to display her ability any more than it took to exert. Tumbling apart, the roots were cleared with ease. “That’s amazing!” Sunset shouted as she followed Applejack up.

“Really? Shucks. I’ve always had a knack for plants and whatnot. You’re the first to think it’s amazin’, though. Everyone else wants me banished ‘cause of it,” the earth pony replied without missing a beat.

Once inside, the two mares trotted up the steps into the library. In Discord’s world, libraries seemed unneeded. Books provided knowledge and logic, and everything the chaotic king was against. A short whistle left Applejack’s lips before she said, “What a place. Ain’t nothin’ like home. You live here?”

“Me? No. Someone important to me did, though,” Sunset replied as she thought of the Twilight from this world. The Crystal Empire. I wonder what I’ll find there. She then rubbed the thoughts from her mind, concentrating on the here and now. “Have a seat,” she said as she levitated a sofa from behind the staircase into the middle of the room. “We need to go over everything and anything that might be important for your trial, starting with why exactly you were arrested.”

“Oh, that? Shoot.” Applejack slammed her rump on the couch, jutting up the sibling cushion. “Where to begin? Well, the main reason was for forgery, which, I’m not sayin’ isn’t fair but I was pretty careful in craftin’ that piece of paper up. Of course, that’s the only thing they know about, all the others they just tacked on, I’d say. Like how it brought up the griftin’ charge, but I think that’s on account to all those cons I pulled, which I guess also leads into the thievin’ I did.” She chuckled and snorted, laughing about it as if it were a comedy act.

“Applejack! That’s a lot of things!” Sunset gawked.

“I’m not even done yet. Don’t forget to close your mouth, don’t want no flies gettin’ in.” She stifled a short chortle. “The real kicker was the whole plant destruction thing. I don’t see it as no big deal, but apparently ponies don’t like it when you destroy all the food in Canterlot so that yours is the only one growing.” Slumping in her seat, she rolled her eyes with an ignorantly dismissive expression. “I don’t think they’d’ve caught on if I hadn’t hiked up my rates. Shoot, nobles were throwing their expensive undergarments just for their daily dose of apples.”

Sunset put a hoof to her forehead and yanked on the strands of mane that hung down. I’ve made a terrible mistake.

PreviousChapters Next