• Published 11th Jul 2017
  • 403 Views, 70 Comments

Seconds Late - FerociousCreation



In the Equestira's Famous Canterlot High School, a stallion named Alto has finally mustered up the courage to ask his best friend, Harp Hearts to the Hearts and Hooves Formal. However, competition has Alto worried that somepony may snatch her up...

  • ...
5
 70
 403

Clear White Light

Weekend mornings always began in the same order: make the bed, tidy up the studio apartment, and have breakfast. Alto stood at his stove, cooking pancakes, a favorite his mother used to make for him as an award. Now, the morning meal was nothing more than a simple dish.

The toast popped from the toaster, the bread perfectly brown. Alto smiled, happy with the shade of golden-brown he preferred. For weeks, the stallion had to fight the blasted contraption before getting it to the proper temperature he wanted.

A white magical silhouette shrouded the toast, pulling them from the toaster and onto a plate. Alto flipped his three pancakes, admiring how well-rounded they were. Cooking was a nice exercise for Alto. It helped clear his mind, focusing on what was in front of him. And after last night, Alto didn't want to think about anything but his meal.

His eyes glanced at the round clock stuck to the kitchen wall. It read, “11:17 am.” Despite the late start to his day, Alto could feel his eyeballs itch from exhaustion. Sleep evaded him for most of the evening; and when it found him, Alto was shrouded with nightmares.

After removing the finished pancakes from his skillet, Alto let out a sigh, “The things I had to do last night...” Words from the previous night echoed in Alto’s brain. Don’t worry, we won't kill him. We just want the High Brass we all know to disappear. Why Orange was being so vague with what he meant, Alto didn't know. What Alto did know was High Brass was being dealt with.

KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK!

Alto flinched at the spontaneous sound, losing the grip on his spatula. He wasn't expecting anypony to come to his estate, and he worried if it was trouble knocking at his door.

“It's me, Alto!” a familiar voice called from behind the door.

Harp Hearts? The stallion scratched his chin, wondering if word had already gotten to her. Or perhaps she was checking in on him. Whatever it may be, Alto wasn't expecting anypony.

Upon opening the door, a body of pink lunged at Alto. Harp Hearts clung to her friend, squeezing with a grip that could crush several walnuts. “I heard about what happened last night,” she spoke, worry and sadness gripping at her throat.

Alto returned the gesture, holding onto her as he did the night before. Her hair pink and white curly mane bunched against his face. He didn't mind. Harp Hearts mane, however, didn't block out the pony standing behind her.

***

The beam smacked against the cobblestone ground, the sound clapping off the walls. High Brass had his eyes clenched tight as if the night sky was blinding him. When he realized pain had not been delivered, the rich pony opened his eyes to see the wooden stick mere inches from his white snout.

“You missed…” Orange mumbled with disappointment.

Alto’s body rose up and down, taking in deep breaths through his teeth. The beam in his grip shook, frustration being the reason. “You put me… through a lot of misery, High Brass,” Alto said, trying to keep a straight composure, but failed. “You have no idea… what…” His voice began to choke, “...what hell I had to tread through.”

High Brass blinked, his eyes on the floor he uncomfortably rested on. He mumbled something before looking up at Alto. “You killed any chances I had with Harp Hearts,” Alto continued. Somehow, the unicorn managed to smile. “That's right! I confessed my love to my best and closest friend as I walked her home.” The rich pony muttered something louder than his usual voice. “Harp Hearts is home safe. How she is currently feeling, I don't know.” High Brass hummed, his brows bent like a suppressed bridge pressed down by too much weight.

“If you are going to just talk to him,” Orange imputed, “then-”

“Let him talk,” Mouthless interjected. “We all had our words to say to High Brass. I think we owe it to Alto that he express his frustration against this rich boy.”

Orange grumbled, “If anything gets in the way of my plan, I will make you all disappear…”

Alto wanted to ask Orange what he meant by “disappear,” but continued his one-way conversation with High Brass. Questions were for later. “As I was saying, Harp Hearts now knows my feelings. But we are going to stay friends. You want to know why?” High Brass couldn't keep eye contact with Alto, which frustrated the unicorn. “Because of you! You stole her from me because you thought I was too dangerous for her, didn't you?” He waited for High Brass to mutter something. The rich pony did nothing but lay still. “And just so you know, you really spooked her. And now she doesn't want to be in a relationship; because of you!” Alto threw the beam down the alley, quickly being swallowed by a trash can’s shadow.

“I did nothing wrong to you, High Brass. Aside from disliking your attitude and the rumor that hunted your tail, I brought no harm to you. You thought it was better for Harp Hearts to be with you because I was somepony unredeemable. So you stole her away from me with your good looks, fortune, and popular status.”

Alto took a deep breath, attempting to calm himself down; he didn't want to get carried away and actually hit High Brass in a fit of anger. “The only good you did was make Harp Hearts happy. At least you managed that but at my own expense…”

“So now that I see you beaten and bruised, I- I take back what I said about you being physically hurt. Being a witness to somepony else's bruises disgusts me; I can’t bear the sight of somepony’s pain, even yours. I don't think anypony should go through what you had just experienced. I honestly think Harp Hearts telling you off was the best treatment you needed.”

“I can’t believe I am saying this as well, but… I forgive you… regardless of everything you had done. You want to know why I forgive you?” Nopony made a sound; not even High Brass. “Because I'm not going to hold onto the past and be crippled by it. I'm no bully, nor an oppressor. I’m not you. And I think for our sake, this is what Harp Hearts would want: for us to not hate one another. Besides, I have seen enough hurt for one night, let alone experience I’ve myself. I just want to move on from tonight.”

Alto heard the other ponies talk among themselves, discussing his current words. “Do believe my words?” High Brass nodded, mumbling words behind his covered mouth. “This doesn't make us friends, just so you know…” High Brass nodded again. “Also, you, I, and Harp Hearts are going to have a sit-down and talk about your behavior toward me.”

“I don't think you are going to have that talk,” Orange spoke, the air suddenly dense with tension. The unicorn looked at the pegasus, not sure what to expect.

Alto swallowed, “What were you planning on doing to High Brass?” The mask-wearing ponies appeared more intimidating than before, despite Smile and Frown conveying emotions opposite of fear.

“We are going to make him disappear,” Orange replied, his tongue speaking the truth.

“As in kill him?” Alto and High Brass exchanged looks, worried that was the case.

Orange flashed his sinister smile once more, “Don't worry, we won't kill him. We just want the High Brass we all know to disappear.”

Alto didn't dare to move, fearing any sudden movement would trigger a quick response from the mob. “But I am a witness to your crime. What do you plan to do with me?”

You, my friend, are going to stay quiet while we take High Brass somewhere else and dispose of him,” Orange spoke, stepping forward. His brows creased, eyes sharp enough to cut with his stare alone.

Alto dared to reply with, “And if I refuse?” The unicorn’s pulse pounded in his ears.

Orange’s henchponies looked at one another, their faces hiding their true emotions. “If you refuse,” Orange answered, “then I will make you disappear as well.”

Neutral was the first to step forward. “This isn't what we agreed to! We were supposed to only take High Brass only. Alto is-”

“Alto happened to come across us and somehow forgive the damn rich pony!” Orange barked. “I was expecting him to be on our side, not be some saving grace!”

“There has to be another way,” Frown begged. His mask’s eyes faced Alto. “Please, just keep quiet and let us be rid of this thief. Like you said, you want this night to be over. Just walk out of this here alley and forget you ever saw us.”

Orange held up a hoof to prevent anypony else to speak. “I think I have a way that will keep your tongue from speaking the truth, Alto. And I know even High Brass will want you to stay quiet as well.” A wide grin nearly touched the pegasus’ ears as Orange began to madly giggle. Alto looked down at the grounded pony, not sure why Orange was mentioning High Brass. The laugh, however, was a sure sign that something devious was conceived.

“If you refuse to stay quiet, Alto,” Orange said, his smile never faltering, “I will make your precious Harp Hearts disappear. How does that sound?”

A freezing bite of fear ran down Alto’s spine. His eyes widened, frightened for his friend’s safety. Alto thought his heart would never race in such a nervous fit after confessing his love to Harp Hearts. He was wrong.

Again, ponies began to speak out against Orange. “You need to keep her out of this!” Happy spoke, his voice not conveying his mask’s emotion. Alto silently agreed.

“I refuse to work for you if you go through with that plan!” Neutral added, his mask too, not expressing his voice.

Before anymore mutiny could spread, Orange glared at the others. “And I don't suppose you think you will be safe after you deceive me?” The bell of silence rang loudly, pleasing Orange once all had settled down. “For months, we have waited in the shadows for High Brass to finally be separated from his blasted guard. Finally, our patience has paid off. Finally, we can all get what we want.”

Orange waited for somepony to speak up, but none attempted to squeak out an argument over the pegasus’ words. “The last thing I want is for my efforts to go to waste! And if it does…” He stamped down his hoof, “Not even the caves below Canterlot will echo your cries for help!”

With his threat loud and clear to his henchponies, Orange returned his attention to Alto. “So, will you speak up and allow the friend you love vanish?”

High Brass twitched like a fish out of water, loudly mumbling incoherent muffled words. Alto snapped his head at the rich pony, watching High Brass aggressively shake his head.

Alto dared to say, “Do you want me to stay quiet? For Harp Hearts’ sake?”

“Mmhmm,” High Brass answered.

“But what about you…?” Alto asked. Both stallions frowned, realizing the severe reality of sacrifice. Again, High Brass mumbled something, then returned his gaze to the ground.

“It seems High Brass wants you to do what I say,” Orange spoke, his tone mocking Alto. “Are you going to listen to him in order to protect the one you love?”

Hot and cold emotions shook Alto to the core. “You won't get away with this.”

Laughter erupted from Orange,” Like I haven't heard that one before!”

Despite his courageous exclamation, Alto knew there was nothing to be done. The ponies around him stared with plastic faces, silent like the crawling legs of flies. All Alto could do was stare down at High Brass, outnumbered by mask-wearing ponies.

High Brass mumbled some more, his brows creased as he squirmed around in his bind. It was difficult for Alto to determine if High Brass was angry at Orange, or worried about Harp Hearts’ safe, or anything else that may involve leering at somepony.

Hurt with his ultimate decision, Alto said, “I'll stay quiet…” The rich pony nodded in approval, not begging for Alto to have a second opinion.

“Good,” Orange replied bluntly. “Now leave!” he ordered, gesturing the unicorn to head for the streets.

At a snail’s pace, Alto walked passed Orange and the masked ponies. Smile moved to pat the stallion, but Alto jerked his shoulder away like a fisherpony yanking at his disturbed rod.

The road to freedom was inches from Alto; and he would have to walk it alone, while High Brass remained behind to “disappear.”

As he stepped into the streets, the streetlights bore clear white light onto him.