• Published 11th Jul 2017
  • 402 Views, 70 Comments

Seconds Late - FerociousCreation



In the Equestira's Famous Canterlot High School, a stallion named Alto has finally mustered up the courage to ask his best friend, Harp Hearts to the Hearts and Hooves Formal. However, competition has Alto worried that somepony may snatch her up...

  • ...
5
 70
 402

Glory, Sweet Glory

To make up for the time he was missing, Alto added the final adjustments to the chairs, music stand, and anything else that needed to be in perfect positioning; Harsh Note kept an eye on him while he did his adjusting.

Next, he and Mr. Tenor arraigned everypony to perform their songs, from tuning instruments, to preparing a singer's voice. Everything was finished in good time, despite how chaotic it was backstage.

“Alright!” Mr. Tenor exclaimed to the teenagers. “It is time for our performances.” He nodded at Alto, “Shall we get started?”

“Of course.” The unicorn looked at his peers, smiling at them, “Let’s show those ponies how great Canterlot High’s Philharmonic is!” With cheers at his back, Alto made his way onto the stage.

A large crowd of ponies stood before him, almost stunning Alto in place. I guess they are ready for a show. The mic lifted from the stand and down to the unicorn. “Fillies and Gentlecolts! Thank you for coming to the Hearts and Hooves Formal!” Ponies clapped, a few whistling here and there. “So far, the night has been quite the experience for the band members, including myself.” In the crowd, Alto saw Harp Hearts standing at the center of bodies, close to High Brass.

Alto’s pause went on for too long and realized he was staring at her. “A-and I hope you are all just as happy as I am.” Gesturing behind him, he put on a plastic smile. “And now, to start off our performance, please welcome Symphony and Low Tune for their duet.”

A spotlight flung itself onto the two ponies walking toward center stage. A light cheer escaped the crowd as Alto began to walk offstage. He glimpsed backwards to see if Harp Hearts was looking at him. She wasn't.

***

Little did Harp Hearts know that Alto had Mr. Tenor schedule his song to be the very last performance. Every time Alto announced a song other than his own, Harp Hearts would give him a bothered stare. It was not difficult for her to stand out in the crowd, and it was not because of her beauty. High Brass’ bright outfit glittered among the stallions, most wearing black tuxedos. Finding him was the first step to finding Harp Hearts.

Songs quickly came and went, slowly approaching Alto’s performance. He kept reading over his song, wondering if there are any changes that needed to be made.

For the hundredth time, the caramel pony nervously hummed the original piece. Mr. Tenor stood behind his student. The instructor cleared his throat calmly, trying to get the unicorn’s attention, but it startled Alto instead.

“What's bothering you, Alto?” Mr Tenor sat down beside his student, an ear turning to the music being played onstage.

“I'm worried my song isn't perfect…” Alto muttered. A chain of fear yanked at his chin.

The teacher placed a hoof on Alto’s shoulder, giving it a supporting rub. “Are you worried it isn't perfect sounding or it isn't perfect for her?”

“Yes…” A white wrinkled paper rested in Alto’s hooves. Words of pure emotion written in lovely cursive.

“I doubt you are going to announce that you wrote it for Harp Hearts, right?”

A grin lifted Alto’s left cheek, “I think it would be harmful for a teacher’s reputation to promote harming another pony; even if they are an ass.”

Mr. Tenor agreed with a nod and chuckle. “I'll take that as a yes.” He looked at several of his students mingling with one another. “I personally think you should do two things before you perform.”

“And what might that be, sir?”

A pause in the conversation made Alto feel uneasy while Mr. Tenor still watched his students talk. “You should thank her for being a good friend to you.”

Alto pursed his lips, not disagreeing with the idea. “I can do that.” A brow rose, “What is the second thing I need to do?”

A sigh of hot air left the instructor before he bore his stare at Alto. “Move on.” As if Alto had enough sadness to bare, another wave of depression drowned his heart. “I know what High Brass did and I know what he did was wrong. But you told me yourself, ‘I am happy for Harps’ happiness.’ Did you not say that?”

Two caramel ears fell back, unable to hide any inner thoughts. “I did, sir.”

“Then don't torment yourself anymore.” Mr. Tenor rubbed his student’s shoulder and smiled at Alto. “Okay?”

Alto slowly nodded, “I’ll do what I can.”

A round of applause rang in the air, calling Alto to the stage. “Now go, my student!” Mr. Tenor spoke low, but supportive. “Make that crowd cry!”

“I thought I just said that teachers shouldn't invoke hurting others,” Alto commented with a smirk as he stood.

“That's the spirit!”

Alto’s magic engulfed his instrument, his bow, and his piece before walking forward. Two ponies followed behind him but stopped just before Alto went onto the stage, leaving him to walk alone. An eager group of ponies stared at him as Alto trekked toward center stage. Couples were bunched together like flowers, blooming into a discord of colors.

Harp Hearts was now standing right in front of the stage, and shook with anticipation while she hung onto her date’s white arm. Just remember what Mr. Tenor said, “Move on.” If only Alto was able to do that in an instant.

After placing his things on the ground beside the music stand and mic, the pony spoke into the microphone, “Well everypony, we have reached the end of the Hearts and Hooves Formal performance.” Harp Hearts looked worried, perhaps thinking her friend wouldn't sing.

“To conclude this evening, I will be performing the last song; a song I wrote… for a very… special somepony.” It took all the strength in his heart to force out the entire statement. “Awws” left the lips of many mares in the crowd, including Harp Hearts.’

Hoofsteps knocked on the wooden stage. The two ponies who followed him now entered. The mare sat at the piano while the stallion dragged his cello beside her instrument.

“Before I begin, I wish to say a few words.” Alto had to dance his eyes across the audience, forcing himself to not look at Harp Hearts directly. “I was supposed to sing this song to a mare I found very special.” Another round of “awws” left the crowd. “Unfortunately, just as I went to go tell her my feelings… she…” The shame was too great as Alto tried to press himself to express his feelings to the audience. “...she was already being asked out; I was just seconds late on asking her to the Hearts and Hooves Formal.

A much more depressing sigh escaped the crowd; both mares and even stallions showed their grief for Alto. Even from up onstage, Alto could see a microscopic sneer on High Brass’ stupid face. Instead of telling the truth, Alto stuck with his original plan.

“I know you are out there, mare I will not announce,” he resumed, his voice now choked. “I would tell you how truly special you are to me, but some other stallion is making you more happy than I ever could, and I will not ruin your happiness.” Another upset moan left the audience. “So here is to you, you beautiful mare. You will never know my true feelings, but you will always be special.”

A loud round of applause was music to Alto's ears, even though he didn't want to make everypony pity him. When the noise died, he said, “Also! I want to thank two ponies before I begin.” He levitated his bow and pointed it at High Brass and Harp Hearts. “Can I get a spotlight on those two ponies?”

The moment the light swallowed Harp Hearts whole, she flushed and tried to hide behind High Brass. Ponies stepped away from them, giving the couple a nice circle. High Brass looked at Alto, confused, not sure what to make of the situation.

“First, I want to thank Harp Hearts for being such a wonderful friend to me.” Alto nodded, “You deserve all the happiness in the world for what you have helped me through.” Harp Hearts gave a tiny wave to the clapping ponies around her as she blushed even brighter.

“And you, High Brass.” Alto wondered if he sounded too harsh in his sentence. “I want to thank you for making my best friend happy. Dance with her as I play my song and make her never forget this night.” This is the only way I can let go of you, Harp Hearts.

The invitation was sent and High Brass easily took it. He faced his date and took her hoof. Harp Hearts’ eyes were brightened by the spotlight as they widened. She smiled and placed a hoof behind High Brass’ neck. Mares from all around cheered with glee, while the stallions gave a half-hearted moan of approval.

Alto turned around to see the pianist and cellist smiling at him. The unicorn nodded, indicating that the song was about to begin. “This song is called, Glory, Sweet Glory.

The pianist began her part, slowly moving from note to note. Alto closed his eyes and waited for the cellist to start. Eventually, a low hum rippled into Alto’s ears. His heart felt inspired by the sound even more than when he and the other two were practicing.

Alright, Alto, let’s play.

Alto levitated his bow and violin and started his part. The instant his bow stroke the strings, the sound he and the others created caused Alto’s eyes to water up. It was everything he wanted his piece to sound: piercing and beautiful. Through his lower peripheral, he watched Harp Hearts and High Brass slowly sway each other back and forth. Swallowing what pride he had left, Alto began to sing:

“Another wrong, a poor misstep,

I hate myself for my sins.

Why must I continue my wrongings?

But still, a brighter light,

Comes forth from the blackest void.

How can you return me to a better being?

Glory, Sweet Glory,

Oh how I witness thee,

I deserve you not to see me.

Yet Mercy, Great Mercy,

A grace that never fails.

Your eyes fall upon me with love.”

Alto loved to have himself cry when he sang and played his violin. Emotions were pure, white, and true. He focused on the crowd, watching couples slow dancing. Skirts twirled like tree branches caught in a gentle breeze. And arms held their mares, afraid the wind would become a potential thief and blow them away.

Unable to keep his attention off of her, Alto watched Harp Hearts stare into High Brass’ eyes. Her lips moving, speaking words, but inaudible because of the music. The rich pony rested his forehead on the pink pony and the two closed their eyes, carried in the music’s tide. A stream of tears trickled down both Harp Hearts’ and High Brass’ cheeks. The spotlight’s sharp highlight made the veins of liquid stand out like silver resting on gold.

It pained Alto to watch them carry each other before him. He was supposed to be in High Brass’ position. But the caramel pony needed to pull himself away from Harp Hearts and try to distance his feelings from her.

His violin squealed a high note, and a few audience members couldn't help but shed a few salty droplets. Alto smiled at the sight. Now to prevent a single dry eye.

“Again I fail, and though I try,

I loathe myself much more.

Who out there knows my pathetic pain?

It’s you, the stronger gust,

A force that destroys all negatives.

What gift that you hold is their for me to obtain?

It’s Glory, Sweet Glory,

Oh how I witness thee,

I deserve you not to see me.

Yet Mercy, Great Mercy,

A grace that never fails.

Your eyes fall upon me with love.

My friend, my joy,

A love I cannot exist without.

With your aid, there is no doubt.

Because Glory, Sweet Glory,

Oh how I witness thee,

I deserve you not to see me.”

Alto peaked at Harp Hearts, seeing she was flushed. Tears were running down her delicate face even faster than before. Suddenly, she kept forward, smacking her lips onto High Brass own lips. In that moment, High Brass glanced at Alto before closing his eyes, pulling Harp Hearts closer to him.

That almost broke Alto and nearly threw his violin at the stallion. Don't you dare look at me like you won a war, you wretched jackass! Emotions flared beyond any heat Alto had ever felt in his breast. Notes further enflamed his already broken heart. Crying loudly, his voice sang:

“Yes Glory, Sweet Glory,

Oh how I witness thee,

I deserve you not to see me!

Yet Mercy, Great Mercy,

A grace that never fails.

Your eyes fall upon me with love!”

Alto couldn't get himself to peel his eyes from the piece. He didn't want to get another chance to stare at High Brass with a stare that might make the white pony burst into flames.

In unison, the pianist, cellist, and violinist finished. The dancers turned their attention to the stage. Not a single dry face was seen, at least from Alto’s perspective.

Consumed with grief, Alto’s levitation on his violin and bow left him and it fell, crashing on the stage with a horrible sound. He shielded his sobbing face with an arm and began to weep bitterly. I'm sorry, Mr Tenor… I can't move on…

A cheer roared from the audience, scaring Alto, reminding him he was awake in a living nightmare. Normally, an applause was always a good sign to the unicorn. Now it only brought him shame as many ponies watched him cry.

Something suddenly shoved itself into Alto and uncomfortably pulled on his neck. He opened his eyes to see the spotlight beaming down on him; and Harp Hearts holding him close.

“That was so amazing, Alto!” she spoke over the loud audience, her lavender pools rippling from liquid. Alto had no comment to make. He blinked at her, wanting to kiss the mare in the light; however, that would prove to be catastrophic.

At least she liked it.

Author's Note:

I hope you liked my poem.