• Published 11th Jul 2017
  • 402 Views, 70 Comments

Seconds Late - FerociousCreation



In the Equestira's Famous Canterlot High School, a stallion named Alto has finally mustered up the courage to ask his best friend, Harp Hearts to the Hearts and Hooves Formal. However, competition has Alto worried that somepony may snatch her up...

  • ...
5
 70
 402

Wall With No Bricks

Taking the advice Alto had given her, Harp Hearts and High Brass left the group in an attempt to enjoy the rest of the evening. The stars blinked at Harp Hearts, wondering why she stared at them with gloomy eyes. She and High Brass stat alone on a wooden bench far from the quad, and from everypony else. Letting her feelings be known to her date, Harp Hearts let out a heavy sigh. “I am worried for Alto…” she muttered.

“He will be fine.” High Brass had to keep his tone in check. He didn't want his date to know how much distaste he had for Alto. “Just… try not to think about him. Alto has other friends that will keep him company.”

“I suppose…” Leaning toward Harp Hearts, High Brass gave her a gentle kiss on the cheek. In turn, the mare kissed his. Before long, the couple began kissing.

High Brass clung to his date, pulling her close, pressing harder on her lips. He felt Harp Hearts retreat, her kiss not at passionate as his. I need to not be so forceful. But I must keep her mind off of Alto.

“You make me happy,” he said, parting his lips for a moment before resuming.

“Thanks,” Harp Hearts mumbled.

Thanks? She never just takes a compliment and just says thank you. High Brass couldn't keep his focus and stopped giving his affection. He looked down at Harp Hearts, watching the mare turn her gaze down at their fused shadow.

“I'm sorry… I can't not worry about Alto.” The name rang in High Brass’ ears. It's always Alto with you!

Trying to maintain a straight composure, High Brass asked, “Why do you talk about Alto so much?” He was now playing a dangerous game, and he knew it. “Do you have feelings for him?”

Harp Hearts body twitched as if electrified. “W-what!? No! No no no, I don't!” Good; if only Alto would hear those exact words. The pink pony’s ears fell back, worried she had upset High Brass. “I'm not… trying to make you think I'm interested in somepony else, am I?”

“You seem to always talk about him,” High Brass pressed. However, deep inside, he was hating himself. I don't mean to upset you, my dear Harp Hearts…

“I don't have to talk about him if you don't want me to,” she mumbled, leaning into High Brass’ shiny shirt. “If it bothers you.”

“It would be nice if we just talked about each other and not him for once. I'm tired of hearing-”

A shot of panic sped through High Brass’ blood. He said a little too much. Harp Hearts straightened herself, no longer against his chest. “What do you mean by that?” She raised a brow, frowning, “I thought you said before you liked me talking about my friend.”

D-did she-

“Are you jealous of Alto, High Brass?” High Brass had nothing to say. His lips were parted, but nothing could be said. Harp Hearts slightly scooted several inches away from High Brass. To him, it was a mile wide. “I was hoping you were going to say that you didn't mind about me talking about Alto…”

She was playing her own game while I tried to play mine! Oh, what hole have I just dug…

“Answer my question, High Brass,” Harp Hearts squeaked, her throat choked with emotion. “Are you jealous of my friend?”

High Brass was on a sea of broken glass. Everywhere he was about to step was going to hurt. “I- don't understand why you talk about him all the time.”

“He is my friend. I'm always spending my time with him, so I am bound to speak about Alto every so often.” The mare’s brows creased, now on the offensive. “Is there something you dislike about Alto? Because it seems to me that he has no quirls with you, despite the rumors about he heard.”

High Brass needed to pick a careful lie and not let it break below his hooves. “I know he does not have an issue with me. Besides, he thanked me for making you happy.” Clearing his throat, High Brass did have some truth rise in his brain. “He did come off intimidatingly when he pulled me aside earlier this evening.”

“What did he say, other than a thank you?” Harp Hearts was slightly more relaxed, but not by much.

“Just to make sure that I keep making you happy and to not give you a reason to doubt me.” High Brass frowned, attempting to make the mare fall back into his ring. “And that is the last thing I want to do; make you doubt me…”

Harp Hearts frowned, scooting closer to High Brass. “And I don't want to doubt you.” The orange lamp light shined in the mare’s lavender eyes.

“Then believe me when I say that I have absolutely nothing wrong with him,” High Brass responded, getting closer to the pink pony.

Harp Hearts frowned, shaking her head with disapproval. “You're lying… You said you were tired of me talking about Alto, and now you say you have no issues with him.”

Slowly, Harp Hearts got up from the bench. In a panic, High Brass lept off his seat. “W-where are you going?”

“I am going to find Alto and ask him personally of you have any issues with him.” Facing him, Harp Hearts folded her brows. But her eyes were sad. “Unless you will tell me what is wrong.”

Arguing with another mare was something new to the rich pony. “I think… you are over reacting, Harp.”

“Perhaps I am,” she said, “but I need to know the truth. And I know Alto will tell me the truth.”

“And how do you know that?” High Brass argued.

“You are proving that you do have a problem with him!” Tears began to build at Harp Hearts’ eyes. “If you didn't, then you would have no problem with me asking him about you.”

The sea of glass stabbed a hole into High Brass’ ship. No more could he hold back the truth, or risk losing Harp Hearts.
“Okay, Harp…” he mumbled, ears folded in shame. “I am sorry to have- held back on the truth. I just didn't want to offend you…”

“I'm not unreasonable when it comes to what is real,” Harp Hearts answered, placing an arm around High Brass. “I know you love me.” A warm grin bloomed from her lips. “You told me as we danced. That I do believe.”

A sigh of relief escaped High Brass. “And here I was, worried that you would walk away while I held back the truth.”

“Just don't say anything ridiculous and we should be fine.” Looking deep into High Brass’ eyes, Harp Hearts asked, “Now, your issue with Alto; what is the matter with him that you don't like.”

The glass sea didn't seem to threaten High Brass, but anything could puncture more holes into him. “I don't like his character, Harp Hearts.”

“What do you mean?” Her flank rested on the bench, prompting the rich pony to sit close to the mare.

“Did you ever know what Alto was like before you arrived?” High Brass asked. “I was here before you met your friend.”

“I don't,” Harp Hearts admitted, “but I know the just of it from him personally.”

“Then I am sure you are well aware of how Alto used to strike himself viciously whenever he made an error on something.”

“Of course. My first day here at the campus was the day he scarred his brow.” A smile crawled up Harp Heart’s face. “It was also the day I made a great friend.”

“But why him? Before you came around, he was so… harmful. Hateful to others, even.” High Brass shook his head. “Alto is a pony who could snap on somepony without warning. He has never struck anypony, but...” He got close to Harp Hearts, looking down at her with desperate concern. “...the last thing I want is for you to be a victim of that.”

High Brass’ argument was far from convincing. “You know nothing about my friend, High Brass. You don’t know the pain he has gone through.” Harp Hearts’ ears pointed back, a warning to the rich pony.

“But I do know him, Harp.” I need to keep her from turning on me and focus on Alto. “He was a bitter pony.”

Was,” the mare bluntly commented. “Because of me, I helped him change for the better. And he helped change me, too.”

High Brass couldn’t help but feel dumbfounded. “But why did you assist him? Alto has nothing redeeming about him. Just look at how-”

“-how he cried onstage as Alto performed his lovely piece to the mare he so cared about? I think he is very brave to do that. Who cares about what he was?” At this point, Harp Hearts was on all fours, angry with tears. In shock, High Brass sat still, regretting his words. Never in his life has he made another mare so angry with him. And look so sad.

“Alto is just like anypony; he has flaws, regardless of his obsession with perfection.” Harp Hearts huffed, not sure what to do. “I cannot believe you are here telling me about his past. That was years ago, High Brass. How dare you look at his past sins and tell me he is not redeemable!” Unable to keep a grasp on her angry stare, her face writhed, a sorrowful cloud forming overhead.

Biting his tongue hard, High Brass needed to hurry with a response, but he feared it might be too late. “But I told you the truth at least.”

Harp Hearts couldn’t deny that it what she wanted. “You did…”

“And the truth is…” If you want the truth, Harp Hearts, then here you go… I’m sorry… “...I don’t want you to be around Alto… he isn’t-”

“S-stop…” Harp Hearts mumbled. The truth was too much weight for the mare for once. Both waited in silence in the orange halo. Finally, with all the strength she could muster through her tears and hurt throat, she said, “We… are done, High Brass.”

Rare saltwater rolled down the rich pony’s cheeks. He wished Bastion was present. “But- what about the truth? What about us? What about my words? I- I love you!”

The three letter phrase was like the poison seeping into ear, trying to corrupt the mare. She spun around, her tears shimmering in the orange light. “If you loved me, you wouldn’t hate my only friend.”

No! I won’t lose you! High Brass stepped in front of Harp Hearts, attempting to block any possible escape routes. “Please, help me change! Let me- Let me find something redeeming about Alto like you have!”

“I am sorry, but I don’t believe you… I have told you before, Alto is my best and only friend who has helped me fill myself with some form of self-confidence. And I will not let that stallion walk out of my life, no matter what you say.” Walking around her wall with no bricks, Harp Hearts made for the quad.

The wall moved, and an arm grabbed her hoof. “Don’t go, Harp… Please…” It was too late for High Brass to even redeem himself now as he realised how forceful he was being; and yet, the emotions for the pink pony was too great.

“Let go of me…” she warned, afraid and angry, “...or I will scream.”

“Give me another chance!” he begged, choking on his voice, his grip tight on her wrist.

“You are hurting me..!” Harp Hearts squeaked, ready to cry for help.

“You better do what you were told, High Brass…” a voice spoke from the shadows. An orange pegasus with a blonde mane revealed himself, touching down from the dark sky.

“Who are you!” High Brass barked, pulling Harp Hearts close to protect her from the mysterious figure.

“I'm here to get that mare away from you…” the stallion grumbled, watching Harp Hearts shiver. “And by the looks of things, she doesn't want to be around you.” His smile was warm, “Am I right?”

She didn't care who he was, but Harp Hearts nodded in agreement, and began resisting High Brass’ hold. Realizing what he was doing, the rich pony let go of the mare. Harp Hearts looked at her savior and choked out a “thank you.”

“Now go,” the orange pony spoke. Harp Hearts took no time in standing around and briskly fled.

High Brass watched the pony he loved walk away. “Ha-!” A cloth was caught in his open mouth. His world suddenly spun and the pony’s head smacked the concrete. Adrenaline shot through his system, the stallion bucking and kicking at who pinned him down. His blows were unfortunately ineffective to his captor.

“Now nopony will hear you call for help,” a low, yet familiar voice hissed into High Brass’ ear. The cloth was tied tight over the rich pony’s mouth, blocking any way for him to talk; or call for help. A sharp pain struck High Brass in the side and he rolled onto his back. Finally getting a good look at the pony behind him, he saw the aggressor wearing a smiling drama mask.

“You can all come out now,” the orange leader spoke aloud. Various ponies exited the dark corners, each with their own drama mask. High Brass quaked with fear, dreading his decision to have Bastion stay home.