• Published 11th Jul 2017
  • 402 Views, 70 Comments

Seconds Late - FerociousCreation



In the Equestira's Famous Canterlot High School, a stallion named Alto has finally mustered up the courage to ask his best friend, Harp Hearts to the Hearts and Hooves Formal. However, competition has Alto worried that somepony may snatch her up...

  • ...
5
 70
 402

One Thing

Seconds Late

Ch. 2

Alto twitched and jerked his head around to see High Brass smirking at him; his posse stood a bit away from him, the mares mingling and giggling among themselves about who knows what. Alto's quick gesture was enough to alert Bastion and she took a few steps forward, asserting her aggression. Not being one for conflict, Alto’s heart picked up the pace, intimidated by the mare. “None of your business,” Alto bit back before facing his friend.

“Oh don’t be so mean! He was just asking a question.” The fact that Harp Hearts was standing up for High Brass, the stallion known for taking mares away from love stricken stallions sickened Alto. The pony knew if he opened his mouth, or even gave the slightest hint that he was interested in Harp, High Brass would snatch her away with his charms. And how did Alto know this? Because High Brass was still on the hunt for a date to the Hearts and Hooves Formal. High Brass was like a shark, waiting for the weaker willed stallions to hold back on their confessions until the right moment. And just when said stallion would make their move, it would have been already too late… High Brass would already have the mare in his "loving" arms.

“Listen to your friend,” High Brass muttered. “I am not trying to be your enemy.” He then scoffed, “And ponies wonder why I don’t associate with stallions. They assume I am trying to make trouble with them.” Wouldn’t you know… Alto had to hide his angry emotions inward to not upset his friend. He wouldn’t want Harp Hearts to reject him to the dance because Alto was “too mean” to High Brass.

Fixing his gaze on Harp Hearts, High Brass flashed a wide, charming smile. “Since your friend is being quite the stubborn mule against me for absolutely no reason, I would like to ask you a simple question.”

Harp Hearts blushed at the “simple” statement and glanced away from the rich pony. “W-what could you possibly ask me? I- I am just a simple mare who plays the harp…” Alto froze, worried High Brass was about to ask his friend to the dance.

“Do you have a date to the Hearts and Hooves Formal?” Alto had to keep himself from giving High Brass a stare of death as he kept his attention to Harp’s large instrument. If he gave any hints to the rich pony, High Brass would take Harp Hearts away in a heartbeat; Alto would also have Bastion’s hot aggression tanning his flank. You better not!

“N-no I d-d-don’t…” Harp Heartsresponded, her entire being trembling. “Besides, I d-don’t know anyp-pony who would want to… to ask me, a n-n-nervous mare like myself, to the Hearts and Hooves Formal.” She looked at High Brass with desperation in her eyes. Normally, she is very modest about herself, never wanting to put herself too high, or even on a medium platform for that matter. But with the most popular stallion before her, asking such an important question, Harp Hearts was using her flaw to her advantage for once; and all Alto could do was sit in silence, hiding all of his jealousy deep within.

“Then I just want you to know that if no stallion were to ask you to the dance, I may consider you as my date.” A sigh of relief escaped Alto, glad High Brass was not going to ask her to the Hearts and Hooves Formal. But it did alert Alto that High Brass was still on the hunt and the unicorn needed to ask Harp Hearts to the dance today.

“B-but what about one of your friends?” Harp pointed to the mares who were now staring at her. “Haven’t you asked one of them?”

High Brass shrugged, “They all have dates. And honestly, I am glad they do. You may know me for being quite the gentlestallion, but I am not one to be shared. I only give my heart out to one mare at a time.” He squinted his eyes and glanced at his friends, “I just hope their stallions treat them well… I cannot stand somepony who mistreats a mare…” If there was one thing Alto did agree with when it came to High Brass, it was just that: they both loathed stallions who mistreat, take advantage of, offend, and various other things one may do to hurt a gal. However, those type of ponies are few and far between. “If you do end up being asked out to the dance,” High Brass concluded, “I do hope he treats you like a princess.”

“Th-thanks,” Harp Hearts muttered as she watched High Brass walk back to his group. In a giddy sway, the pink pony brought her hooves to her cheeks. “Did you hear that?” she whispered to Alto, “High Brass is considering me be his date!” Unable to contain her excitement, the teen squealed with glee.

Doubt began to creep into Alto’s heart as he looked at his violin case. Within it, he had his song all prepared for Harp Hearts. It was a song Alto poured his heart and soul into; the perfect song for the perfect mare. Of course, Harp Hearts wouldn’t consider herself perfect, but that didn’t matter to the stallion at the moment. What worried Alto was how gleeful Harp Hearts was because of High Brass’ consideration. What if High Brass' influence makes Harp Hearts turn Alto down because of the chance she was given? What if Alto’s song isn’t as good as the pretty boy’s good words and looks? What if… it makes their friendship awkward if she does reject him?

“Hey, Alto, you doing alright?” Snapping him out of his thoughts, Alto turned his gaze to Harp Hearts. “Did you hear me?”

“I did, and I am glad High Brass made you happy.” It was a lie, but it was enough for Harp Hearts to believe. “I was just… thinking about… my song…” Harp Hearts looked at Alto’s violin case and then back at him. “I mean, the song is perfect, but… no… it’s not…” The stallion sagged his shoulders, convinced his lovely piece will not capture Harp Hearts' heart.

Harp Hearts creased her brows at Alto, “Now you stop that. You know you worked hard on it, yes?” How could he not? The syllable patterns were not perfect, but it was the words that mattered. However, Alto worried it would not be enough.

“Of course I do, it’s just-”

Harp Hearts brought her hoof and gently pressed it on the stallion’s nose. “Then just go for it! You will never know how she will react to your song if you don’t try. And if I were you, Alto, you should act fast. The dance is in a week and mares are starting to be asked out left and right.” The mare shyly looked away from her friend. “I mean, it would be nice to be asked out by a stallion, but I don’t think anypony is that interested in me.” Her eyes then drifted to High Brass who now sat that the top of the row, he and his mare friends talking and laughing. “I mean, if High Brass hasn’t found a date, he might ask me.” Alto twitched at the sound of his name, worried Harp Hearts was only focusing on the rich boy at being his mare for the evening. Or worse, his special somepony. “But as much as I would like that to happen, I am fine if I don’t go with anypony. However, you do have intentions to go to the Hearts and Hooves Formal. And if you are planning to go, then I suggest you ask that lucky mare now!”

Harp’s words were like music to Alto’s ears, and she wasn’t even singing; though, she is known to have quite the voice in choir. She was right! Alto needed to propose his offer to that lucky mare now. And that lucky mare was unaware that she was the one he wished to go to the formal with.

Perhaps now would be the best time. “Yeah, you are right. I am going to ask her right now.”

“That’s the spirit!” Harp squeaked as she gave Alto a friendly pat.

Moving over to his violin case, Alto began to unlock click at the locks with his magic. He did want to ask Harp to the dance without having an audience, that being High Brass and his crowd. But Alto wanted to show that pompous rich boy that Harp was his friend and will soon be his date to the Hearts and Hooves Formal. This is it. Just show her the song. While she reads it, she will see at the top of the piece that the song is dedicated to her. And as she reads the song, take a music stand and prepare your violin. Then, kindly take the song back, tell Harp it is for her, and play the piece. Easy.

As he slowly opened his music case, Harp Hearts gave him a bothered look. “Umm, aren’t you supposed to be going to that lucky mare and ask her to the dance.”

Breaking his attention to his belonging, he looked to the pretty pink pony with pink in his cheeks. “I want to show you the song before I go and ask her out.”