• Published 11th Jul 2017
  • 402 Views, 70 Comments

Seconds Late - FerociousCreation



In the Equestira's Famous Canterlot High School, a stallion named Alto has finally mustered up the courage to ask his best friend, Harp Hearts to the Hearts and Hooves Formal. However, competition has Alto worried that somepony may snatch her up...

  • ...
5
 70
 402

Purple Twilight

Even though Alto would have rather returned to his old and terrible habits by smacking his head against a wooden table, it was interesting to hear High Brass discuss his family heritage. His mother and father are both well known property managers in Canterlot, holding a strong grip on the north wing of the kingdom; which is where they also dwell.

To Alto’s surprise, he was shocked to know High Brass had an older brother, named Golden Ticket. High Brass praised the success of his much more successful brother, which took Alto aback even more. Never in Alto’s life would he see High Brass put another stallion above him.

High Brass explained how his brother manages events all over Equestria, ranging from carnivals to even the Grand Galloping Gala. A stallion who takes advantage of golden opportunities no doubt.

When the time came for Alto to explain his life story, the stallion knew nothing would compare to the status of High Brass. Alto kept it simple, stating how his parents were well known in the Canterlot Philharmonic. This surprises High Brass as he has heard of Alto’s parents and their legacy. Alto did say his parents travel quite often; however, he refused to state how much he hated them for their near constant absence, always leaving him alone at home when he was a colt.

A good thirty minutes passed by before the trio left the studio apartment. Bastion was not with them that evening; High Brass said that he requested for her to take the evening off and relax. But even Alto knew how uncomfortable Bastion gets when she is nowhere near him.

Purple twilight lit the air and stars began to dot the sky. Alto kept his stare upwards, not wanting to pain himself by looking at Harp Hearts hold High Brass’ hooves. He held his violin case in a tight grip, listening to the two talk and giggle at one another.

“So, Alto,” Harp Hearts spoke, forcing the caramel unicorn to look at his friend, “are you going to play anything special tonight? I heard several band members will be performing solos.”

“I will be among one of those few performers,” Alto flatly replied.

Harp Hearts gasped, “Are you going to sing?!” She looked up at High Brass. “Alto has an amazing voice!”

“I know,” High Brass replied blandly. “You have told me before, along with the many stories the two of you have had.”

“Then lucky for you,” Harp Hearts continued, oblivious to the stallion’s rather irritated tone, “you will be able to put my words into fact when you hear Alto sing.” She glanced at Alto, still beaming with excitement. “I wish I was as confident and well trained in singing as you.”

It was strange to hear Harp Hearts mention that she had told High Brass various stories that she and Alto had had to him. And what was even stranger was how High Brass stared down at Harp Hearts with a bothersome look in his eyes. He moved closer to his date, placing an arm around Harp Hearts’ neck. The mare’s attention was quickly sucked her attention away from Alto and back to her date. She giggled at High Brass’ affection and leaned into his shoulder.

For once, Alto was not bothered by High Brass’ action. The sight of him and Harp Hearts getting giggly and loving toward one another always sickened Alto. Not this time. Alto knew High Brass was trying to keep his date’s attention away from her close friend, but kept failing. And it was apparent that High Brass was getting jealous. And what for? He already had Harp Hearts for himself.

The sight was another small unintentional victory. But Alto had to wonder: why was the rich pony getting so bothered every time Harp Hearts’ attention turned at Alto?

“What will you be singing?” High Brass asked, raising a brow in curiosity.

I was expecting Harp to ask the question… “I am going to be performing an original piece I composed myself. It’s the song that I wrote for the mare I wanted to ask to the dance.” It rolled off his tongue so easily, as if it meant nothing to Alto; he was still curious about High Brass’ strange attitude.

“That reminds me…” Harp Hearts looked up at her date, her brows creased in a sad curl. “High Brass and I have been- well mostly me, have been discussing who this… mare you keep mentioning is.”

“Yes…” High Brass mumbled. Alto could tell the white steed wanted to use his charm and swoo his date, but held back this time. High Brass was looking less irritated.

“What about her?” Alto asked.

Harp Hearts blinked at her friend. “Neither he, nor I can figure out just who you were interested in. It just bothers me so much that you would hide such a detail away from me.”

“I agree,” High Brass inputted. “Of all the… things Harp has mentioned about you, is how open you are with her. How you vent your frustrations, thoughts…” He paused dramatically. “...emotions.” The final word smacked Alto across the face. All of Alto's past victories quickly burned to cinder. “Harp has been very concerned why you have not been honest with her recently. She is obviously been trying to cheer you up all week, and yet you refuse to tell her the truth. Are you not, as she says, ‘her best friend?’”

What other personal things has she spilled about me? “I feel that…” Alto had to choose his words carefully, or risk ruining Harp Hearts’ evening. A half-smile lifted his right cheek. “Harp Hearts has a habit of talking about personal and private topics on purpose; without malice of course. I would rather not have Harp know the mare’s identity. She may tell her my feelings and might affect her night in a less than positive way.” Alto looked at Harp, still holding strong to his smile. “I have told you this before.”

“But I want to know!” she pouted, more serious than joking. “Can’t you just give us a hint?”

Alto looked at his violin case, knowing very well about his original piece resting inside of it, bearing the name it was meant for. Alto could feel High Brass staring him down, mocking him. “She’s… an earth pony.”

“Hmm… an earth pony…” High Brass hummed. “Do you have any ideas on who she may be, Harp Hearts?” The question almost caused Alto to give more than just a hint. Alto continued to stare at his case.

“Well, I would say me.” Alto and High Brass snapped their necks and stared at Harp Hearts. A pang of jealousy twitched the rich pony’s brow. As for Alto, he flushed, shocked she would immediately go to such a conclusion. “However…” Both stallions almost leaned in toward Harp Hearts, eager for her next few words.

Her head spun around and looked high at High Brass. “And this goes for you, too.” High Brass glanced at Alto, trying to get an answer out of him. “I honestly never thought you would want to ask me, a simple mare who plays the harp, to such a lovely event.” Harp Hearts then looked to her friend. “And I somehow think you would rather not hear me constantly put myself down every time you compliment me.”

“You do do that a lot, Harp Hearts,” High Brass finally broke the silence between him and Alto. “Even when you and I were not dates.”

“I know…” Harp Hearts frowned, putting both High Brass and Alto in a worrisome position. “I’m just… afraid…” The rich pony almost froze, not sure what to make of the statement.

“Harp Hearts,” Alto inputted, knowing exactly where Harp was getting at, “you shouldn’t worry.” He rose a brow at High Brass. “Has she talked to you about her worries?”

For once, defeat was in the rich pony's eyes; a sight to behold. There was weakness in High Brass after all. At least it was shown that he did care for Harp Hearts. “No,” High Brass answered, glancing down at the prettied-up mare. “She seemed so happy with me all week and-”

“A-and I am happy!” Harp blurted out abruptly. “I’m just…” Weakened, she needed another tongue to speak for her. Harp’s ears pointed back, and asked Alto, “Can you tell him?”

“Of course.” Alto cleared his throat before speaking of Harp Heart’s issue. “When Harp was a filly, she played the harp to her heart’s content and always asked her parents if she was playing well. Being the supportive parents that they were, they answered yes, leaving no criticism to improve. However, when she was in school, she was always criticized by her classmates, telling Harp Hearts she wasn’t good at playing the harp at all.”

“But you do perform fantastically in class!” High Brass couldn’t keep quiet and needed to compliment his date, keeping Harp away from anymore discouraging thoughts.

“All I do is just pluck at the strings of my instrument,” Harp Hearts replied flatly.

“The comments from her classmates,” Alto resumed, “along with her parents’ compliments, confused Harp for the longest time. She couldn’t tell who was telling the truth. That is why, even today, she is every modest toward herself; sometimes demeaning. Thankfully, I-”

“You gave Harp a sense of self-confidence,” High Brass butted in, his brows still bothered. “She also told me that.” Alto had to keep himself from pointing out the rich pony’s constant pang of jealousy. “But Harp, you never told me you had a hard time with believing in other pony’s words. Do you not believe in mine?” A tone of desperation shook High Brass’ throat.

“Like I said, I honestly couldn't believe you wanted me as your date. And I do believe your words. I just…” Harp paused, glancing between the two stallions. “...needlessly worry…”

“You do have your reasons, Harp,” Alto spoke, but slightly unsure about something. “I would like to ask, however, what you meant by you thinking you were not my candidate to the dance?”

“I would like to ask the same question as well,” High Brass spoke. “Alto seems like he would want to ask you to the dance, being your close friend and all.” Of course you would use this chance to jab at me. “Why not consider him?”

A light smile grew on Harp Hearts’ face. “If there is one perfect thing Alto deserves is a perfect mare. And I am nowhere near perfect.”

Alto almost spoke, but High Brass was quicker to the draw. “Perfection is in the eye of the beholder.” He held a smile directed at Alto. “You of all ponies know that fact.”

“Ain't that the truth.” Another thing both stallions agreed on. Alto had to hide his true intentions but not cover the truth. “You are the perfect friend for me, whether or not you were my candidate for the Hearts and Hooves Formal. And like High Brass had just said, perfection is in the eye of the beholder.” Before Harp Hearts could even reply, Alto nodded at High Brass. “If he wanted to be your date…” Alto didn't want to expel this poisonous gas from his throat, but needed to lift his friend’s spirits; just as she did when Harp kissed him. “...then he does not see a middle class mare, but a pony much more valuable than any status he can fathom.”

“My sentiments exactly,” High Brass concluded, taking Harp Heart’s hoof. Alto couldn't believe how obedient he was to High Brass. Alto could have easily spilled the already hot kettle, exposing the rich pony’s true intention. But that would destroy Harp Hearts. She would break, not knowing who's words to trust. “Will you at least believe him and I, our words combined? And will you not worry for the rest of the night?”

It takes Harp Heart a moment to answer. “Okay.” A beaming smile, teeth visible shined. “I won't. I will believe your words.”

Alto could only walk quietly, his own thoughts and sadness hidden.

Only for you, Harp Hearts.

“But I will find out who that earth pony you liked is!”

No, you won't, you lovely, oblivious pony.

“So Alto,” Harp Hearts spoke, “did you know that High Brass has a secret call for Bastion when he is in trouble.”

“I-It's not a secret if you tell him…” High Brass grumbled. Harp Hearts inability to hide a secret made Alto grin. At least she can continue to make him smile in the worst of times.