• Published 11th Jul 2017
  • 402 Views, 70 Comments

Seconds Late - FerociousCreation



In the Equestira's Famous Canterlot High School, a stallion named Alto has finally mustered up the courage to ask his best friend, Harp Hearts to the Hearts and Hooves Formal. However, competition has Alto worried that somepony may snatch her up...

  • ...
5
 70
 402

Beautiful Monster

With the help of his peers, Alto managed to resume his evening and perform onstage. Now being a crowd favorite, he found himself enjoying the attention. It was a healthy distraction.

Even though the sight of it pained him, Alto was playing his own musical piece. However, this time, he didn't sing, and instead, was performing a non-lyrical solo. The stallion couldn't help himself by denying how wonderful his song was, along with how many continued to request it.

Alto’s eyes moved across the crowd, more watching him than dancing. He observed the front row of ponies, smiling at him. A few mares glanced elsewhere, shy from his gaze.

Looking to the right, he noticed a pony enter the crowd, alone by herself. Alto would have guessed it was Spearmint, but her fur was not a light-pink. Is that… The stallion suddenly recognized the mare’s dress. The light-cream color, the pink bow. Then, he saw her crying face.

“H-Harp?!” Both violin and bow fell to the ground, no longer spellbound. The crowd began talking amongst themselves, watching the musician climb offstage. Weaving through the sea of ponies, Alto finally arrived before his friend. He scanned her, heart pounding with worry. Harp Hearts didn't react to his approach. She just stared at the ground, tears streaming fast. “What happened, Harp Hearts? Where is High Brass? “Are-”

Just as she did when Alto was onstage, Harp Hearts jumped at her friend. Alto caught the earth pony and held her close. Harp Hearts’ body twitched with sorrow, huffing in any amount of air she could. “I want to go home…”

Many eyes stared at him and Harp Hearts, making the stallion feel uneasy. “Did something happen between you and High Brass?” Alto asked in her ear.

“I don't want to talk about him right now…” she responded, taking Alto by surprise. “He… he scared me and-” Alto could see others react to her words and the crowd immediately began to digest what was just spoken. And he was not happy to hear his friend was frightened.

“Where is he?!” Alto lifted his head to look into Harp Hearts’ eyes. “Did he-”

A cold hoof covered Alto’s lips. “Take me home. Please.”

***

The streets of Canterlot were mostly bare of ponies. Very few were about the cobblestone road, some hoof in hoof, others by themselves. Alto walked close to Harp’s side, listening to every word and every change of tone. Their talk was focused on her argument with High Brass. When she asked Alto if he had any issues with High Brass, he answered no, knowing very well that was a lie. But it was a lie that can easily be hidden.

“...And then the pegasus told me to leave, which I wasted no time in doing.” Harp Hearts finished her crying a few minutes after she and Alto left the school. She was currently furious with High Brass and his disliking for her friend.

“I'm glad whoever came to the rescue was there,” Alto said, wondering what would have happened if he heard Harp Hearts scream for help. It was difficult for Alto to decide if he was more furious or curious with High Brass.

For the obvious reason for his anger, High Brass went to the extreme and prevented Harp Hearts from leaving. And he hurt her. Squeezing her wrist. If Alto could bite down on his jaw any harder, he would splinter his own teeth.

On the other side of his processing brain, Alto finally understood why he was targeted by the rich pony. High Brass didn't simply steal Harp Hearts for the hay of it. He stole the earth pony because he was that worried about her. High Brass wanted to protect Harp Hearts. And with what Spearmint said earlier, further confirmed High Brass’ distaste with Alto.

“I would never have thought High Brass would hate me that much,” Alto spoke, answering with the truth behind his tongue.

“Neither did I,” Harp Hearts sniffed. “To sum up everything, he and I are done.”

Alto had to pry his lips down and fight the urge smile. “You broke up with him!?” A miniature Alto paraded around his brain, a victory won and he didn't have to try.

“He was a hypocrite.” The unicorn cocked his head, curious with what she meant. “High Brass was worried about you possibly… hitting me…” Harp Hearts stopped in a halo of orange, disturbed by the thought alone. “I will be honest Alto, imagining it does scare me.”

Not wanting to believe Harp Hearts and her words, Alto folded his ears, displeased she would succumb to High Brass’ poison. “But I know you would never do that,” Harp Hearts reassured, patting her friend on the shoulder.

“Thanks,” Alto answered, however, his tone didn't match the meaning of his spoken word.

Harp Hearts stepped forward, her shadow mending with Alto’s. “I swear, I know you won't want to bring any harm to me.” She smiled and held her friend, resting a chin on his shoulder. Alto returned the favor, pulling the mare close. Her curly pink and white mane smelled sweet, like vanilla vapor drifting out of its glass bottle. “Do you believe me now?”

“Maybe.” Harp Hearts playfully pushed Alto away, grinning at him.

“Just say yes.”

“Si.”

Harp Hearts rolled her eyes, “Oh, Alto. So resistant.” The mare poked her elbow at Alto. “That reminds me of the time when you challenged Mr. Tenor’s skill. You were so resistant at listening to his instruction as you claimed his techniques were inadequate.”

Alto flushed, remembering how Mr. Tenor shamed him by- “I'd rather not think about it.” Realizing how far the two had gotten sidetracked, Alto asked, “So, you were saying about High Brass being a hypocrite?” The words made Alto chuckle on the inside; he couldn't believe he was asking Harp Hearts that question.

Harp Hearts looked down the road, knowing her home was not far from where they were. A bench rested near the light she and Alto were standing in. “Let’s sit down first. I still want to talk about it.”

“Of course,” the unicorn nodded. Both ponies sat close to one another, ready to resume the subject matter that is High Brass.

“He is a hypocrite because he was so worried about you being my friend and how dangerous you can be. But when I tried to leave, he…” Harp Hearts rubbed the wrist he grasped. Her ears fell back and her eyes dared to shed a few more tears.

Alto spectated the mare, wanting to help her in any way possible, but also didn't want to scare Harp Hearts. He swallowed, knowing his strong feelings for Harp Hearts. Carefully, Alto reached for her wrist and placed his hoof on top of it. “D-don't be scared. He won't ever cause you any more trouble. Not while I am here.”

“Thank you, Alto.” Instead of flinching or behaving in some frightened manner, she leaned onto Alto, just as she has done many times before. “Thank you for being here for me.”

Alto closed his eyes, remembering the day she came over to his parents’ estate, venting about her frustration with trusting others. Of course, the unicorn’s mother and father were away, traveling, so the two had free reign over the house. After getting everything off her chest, Harp Hearts laid on the couch, tears staining the cushions. With an upset mare on his furniture, Alto knew he needed to help her. He sat beside the pony, telling her how she needs to have confidence from within, not only for herself but for others as well. While he was explaining his advice, Alto sat on the floor, beside Harp Hearts. And little by little, the pink pony accepted the advice. Of course, her modest behavior couldn't be helped. She couldn't help but believe herself not to be too special than others.

Once again, Alto was falling in love with Harp Hearts. All the arrows pointed to her. She loved his company. Perhaps the best time to tell her of his feelings would be then and there. “Hey, Harp,” Alto spoke, his heart pounding loudly like a bass drummer.

“Yes?” she asked, lifting her head to face Alto.

“I know what will make you feel better.” He looked at the cobblestone road, observing one stone that looked like a bean.

“And what might that be?”

“I can- tell you- the mare I wrote my song for.” Alto flushed. If he were to choose a moment to confess his love, it would be that very moment. Alto pondered the idea of Harp Hearts asking if he had a problem with High Brass asking her out first. Mustering up a response, Alto would say High Brass was their first and he was only seconds late. Nothing else needed to be said. Not about the mare snatching game. Not about Bastion bucking him. Not about the real reason why High Brass asked her to the Hearts and Hooves Formal. Those must not be said.

Harp Hearts immediately perked up, leaning into Alto. “Really!?” she beamed. “Yeay!” The mare clapped her hooves, excited for the truth to be revealed. “Geeze, I suddenly forgot why I was so sad.”

“Keep it that way,” Alto grinned, wanting all the attention onto him.

But the mare blinked, her cheerful emotions gone in a flash. “I do want to say this before we talk about something else.”

“Then go on. Say anything.”

Harp Hearts looked at her wrist, a glint of fear twinkling in her eye. “High Brass really scared me and now I doubt everything he has said to me. In other words, I don't think I will want to be with anypony anytime soon. My trust has been broken, and I will need some time before I believe anypony’s compliments. Just… be here for me, okay?” The unicorn simply nodded slowly. Alto wanted to take back his words as Harp Hearts smiled at him and said, “Now, about that mare you like.”

“Umm, maybe another time,” Alto spoke, frightened that he made a terrible mistake. Not only that, her words practically rejected him, and Alto hadn't spoken a single word about his love for her.

Harp Hearts leaned forward, her muzzle centimeters from Alto. “Oh no, you are not getting out of this one. You committed, you deliver.”

The last thing he wanted to do was lie to Harp Hearts after everything she had just gone through. But she didn't want to be in a relationship with another stallion. “You might get… upset.”

“I promise I will not.” The mare held her hoof up, reassuring no emotions of hers will be affected.

Taking a deep breath, Alto spoke low, “Alright Harp. Her name…” Harp Hearts leaned even closer, the anticipation killing her. “...i-is… H… H… Hu-”

Harp Hearts touched her friend's nose. “Alright, Alto, I have an idea to get you to say that mare’s name in an instant.”

“And how will you go about doing that?” Alto shivered, his rib cage quivering, scared of the pink pony.

Noticing his quaking body, Harp Hearts grabbed his hoof and gripped tightly. “There is no need to be scared. It's just me.”

Alto’s voice cracked when he chuckled. “Telling the truth can be frightening sometimes.”

“It can,” Harp Hearts nodded, “but when it is off your chest, you will be glad you did.”

I sure hope so… Facing the beautiful monster, he asked, “What is your idea you have about me telling the truth much easier?”

Swaying left and right, the mare replied, “It’s simple really! What I am going to do is count from ten to zero. When I get to zero, tell me that special mare’s name.”

“I think I can do that…” Alto didn't notice his breathing had increased but could tell his cheeks flared with pink.

“Calm down.” Harp Hearts sat right beside her caramel friend, ran an arm behind his back, and pulled him close. Not if you do this! You are making it worse! Regret made Alto more afraid. He didn't want to go through with his confession but had no choice. “Shh, don't worry.” Harp Hearts rubbed Alto’s shoulder, attempting to calm the rattling unicorn. Surprisingly, Alto managed to simmer down, even though his crush held him.

“I think I am okay now.”

“Then I shall begin the countdown!” Taking a deep breath, Alto accepted his fate. “Ten… nine… eight… sevensixfivefourthreetwoonezero!”

“Y-you can't expect me to react that fast!” Alto exclaimed, staring down at the mare.

“Hehe, I am just teasing,” Harp Hearts giggled.

It wasn't a laughing matter for Alto, but he managed to smile at Harp Hearts’ silly antics. “Do a recount. And this time, slowly. I want to prepare.”

“Okay, fine.” Alto looked down at Harp Hearts’ hoof. He wanted to hold it, to comfort it. He wanted the owner of that hoof close to him. He wanted to share his heart. But he didn't believe the mare of that hoof was ready for him.

“Ten… nine… eight...” she began, giggling with excitement.

What is there to be excited about?

“...seven… six…”

I know this confession will make you uncomfortable…

“...five…”

Please, Harp…

“...four…”

...don't hate me…

“…three…” Harp’s voice was getting quieter as she approached the last few numbers.

You are my best friend.

“...two…”

And I love you.

“...one…”

...Please love me back…

In his ear, Harp Hearts whispered, “...zero…”

Clenching his eyes tight, he exclaimed, “Harp Hearts!”