• Published 11th Jul 2017
  • 400 Views, 70 Comments

Seconds Late - FerociousCreation



In the Equestira's Famous Canterlot High School, a stallion named Alto has finally mustered up the courage to ask his best friend, Harp Hearts to the Hearts and Hooves Formal. However, competition has Alto worried that somepony may snatch her up...

  • ...
5
 70
 400

On the Cheek

A quick hoof through his short brown mane and Alto’s hair was done. The bathroom steam was beginning to make Alto sweat in his tuxedo. No longer needing or wanting to be in the bathroom, the stallion stepped into the living room. He glanced around, his studio apartment nice and clean. Alto was preparing for guests, even though they were not staying for long.

Alto paced around the room, checking for anything that may be critiqued by High Brass. Sitting on a small table beside a tan armchair was a picture of Alto and Harp Hearts. The unicorn stopped and admired the two teens, Alto smiling at the past memory. It was when-

KNOCK! KNOCK! KNOCK!

“We are here!” Harp Hearts called gleefully. Alto frowned, still looking at his past smiling self, then onto Harp. “Alto, you there?” Several more knocks followed the sentence, but Alto remanded still. He didn't want to see Harp and High Brass hoof in hoof. One week of it was enough.

“Just a second!” Alto called out. Still staring at the past, the unicorn felt his ears get tickled by his greased hair, a few strands freeing themselves from the jell.

In the picture, both Alto and Harp Hearts held an arm around the other, standing in front of a small cedar tree. He smiled, remembering the happy embrace. Remembering the best mare that wanted to become close friends with a perfectionist.

And now she was waiting at his door… With another stallion as her date.

Alto now made for the door. However, the past was still behind him, almost mocking the stallion.

The door opened. “Good evening,” Alto spoke before catching a glimpse at Harp Hearts. The mare was dressed in a light-yellow cream gown. The hem of the dress mimicked the fluffy texture of whipped cream. A pink ribbon waved up and down on the dress, coming to the breast in a nice bow tie. The only feature added to Harp’s mane was a bedazzled hair clip, in the shape of a harp.

“Stunning, isn't she?” High Brass hummed, gazing down at his date.

For once, we agree on something. “I never thought you could look even more beautiful.” High Brass leaned his head back, out of the mare’s peripheral. He leered at Alto, silently reminding him Harp Harts was with another stallion.

Harp shook her head, hair slightly bouncing. “I feel like a strawberry wedding cake.”

“Perhaps I can have a try.” High Brass gave Harp Hearts a kiss on the cheek, making sure eye contact was not broken with Alto. Harp quickly returned a peck back at High Brass.

Alto winced and couldn't keep looking at the two. “Come inside,” he muttered, quickly turning around. It took the stallion by surprise when Harp intercepted his path.

“Alto, you alright?” she spoke in a soft, sweet tone.

He didn't want to look back, only forward; High Brass may be ready to send in his body guard if Alto even gave the rich pony so much as an awkward stare. Or was she at the door? Alto stared at the ground, wanting to shout the truth at Harp. But why ruin her night? She was happy with High Brass. He bought her the wonderful dress she was wearing and treated her to dinner every evening up until tonight. Alto could hardly afford his rent, let alone treat somepony to a fancy dinner or buy them fancy attires.

Maybe it was for the best for her. But it was not the best for Alto’s heart. “I'm just… thinking about her. You know, the mare I wanted to ask to the dance.”

Harp Hearts hummed a sad tune and held her friend. “I'm sorry you were just seconds late from telling that mare your feelings.” The stallion was glad Harp managed to make time for him during the week. She knew her friend was in need, and made sure he was comforted in some way. Too bad for High Brass it upset him. A lot. “It is fine. I am sure she will be happy tonight with her date.” A soft squeeze on Alto’s shoulder brought his eyes to Harp Hearts. “Don't beat yourself up, Alto.” she smiled, “Think of it this way: at least you will most likely not see her as much, or not at all tonight. You will be up on stage playing music.”

Aldo broke eye contact. “I just hope I don't hurt myself this evening by smacking my face against my instrument, frustrated with my predicament.”

“You better not…” Harp Hearts warned, her brows creased. “You know you are better than that.” Suddenly, the mare kissed Alto on the cheek. “Now buck up and be happy. For mine and your sake.” The act took the stallion of guard, and his cheeks flushed bright red. He looked back to see High Brass ignored. Anger shimmered in his eyes.

A smile finally grew on his lips. A miniature him danced in his head. She kissed me! It was small and short, but enough to remove the sag in his lips. “Alright,” Alto replied, turning back to Harp. “For your sake.”

“That’s the spirit!”

High Brass cleared his throat, demanding attention. “Well I am certainly glad Alto here is in better spirits. However, I feel our time should be spent elsewhere instead of this… small establishment.” It was apparent to Alto that High Brass was getting jealous. A small star of a victory for the dateless stallion perhaps. And seeing how High Brass wanted nothing to do with Alto made him feel even slightly better.

His date shook her head. “I think we should just sit here and talk a bit. You two never talk to one another, so we all might as well try and get you two to know one another. Alto and High Brass’ eyes were wide at the proposal.

To sit down…? Alto thought with a grumble.

...with a stallion…?! High Brass barked internally.

...and try to relate to this mare snatcher…?!

This poor lowlife thought he could ask you to the dance!

If only you knew…

...how pathetic he really is…

“Well…” Harp asked, pulling High Brass by his collar close to Alto, “...shall we get to talking?”

In unison, the stallions answered, “Of course…” And at the same time, both thought, Only for your sake.

Author's Note:

I would have uploaded yesterday, but I got sidetracked with life. So for those reading my story up to this point, here are two chapters :D