• Published 11th Jul 2017
  • 403 Views, 70 Comments

Seconds Late - FerociousCreation



In the Equestira's Famous Canterlot High School, a stallion named Alto has finally mustered up the courage to ask his best friend, Harp Hearts to the Hearts and Hooves Formal. However, competition has Alto worried that somepony may snatch her up...

  • ...
5
 70
 403

Lonely Company

Spearmint flinched when she noticed she was no longer alone. “Oh! Hello, Alto…” No longer caring about his own sorrow, the stallion approached the pegasus.

“Are you okay? Why are you crying?” he asked. Alto gandered left and right, curious to Spearmint’s loneliness. “And where is your date?”

“I don't want to talk about him right now,” she huffed before walking past the caramel pony. “He is probably off with that much prettier mare.”

“Wha-” Alto stopped in front of Spearmint, hoping she wouldn't leave him without understanding her situation first. “Do you want to talk about it?” A half hearted smile rose. “Besides, I would like to talk to somepony and allow myself to get my mind off of… things.” Alto felt pity for Spearmint, however depressing her situation was.

Thankfully, Spearmint showed some sign of happiness. “Misery loves company I suppose,” she mumbled. “Let's go sit by the stairs.”

Both ponies walked toward the stairway in silence. It reminded Alto the first time Harp Hearts pulled him aside to ask him why he was so hard on himself. At the time, Alto just wanted to get business handled; Harp Hearts wanted to help a broken spirit.

After getting comfortable at the top step, Alto asked, “So what happened to your date? You said he was with some other mare?”

Instead of having his question answered, Alto received something else entirely different. “High Brass warned me about him…”

“About your date?” The stallion tried to remember Spearmint’s date, only recalling the yellow fur and orange mane. A light bulb flicked on, knowing exactly who she was referring to. “That was Hot Shot, correct? The wide reciever for our hoofball team?”

Spearmint sighed, “That’s him…”

“Did he ask you to the dance?” Alto asked.

“Yes.”

The mare didn’t seem too happy to admit such a popular stallion would ask for her hoof to the dance. Then again, Hot Shot and Spearmint are no longer together, so her current state of sadness is understandable. “What happened between you two?”

“Apparently, he wanted to use me to make one of the cheerleaders jealous.”

“I can assume it worked.” The words didn’t come out well and Alto worried it may have offended the pegasus.

Two hooves hid Spearmint’s shameful face. “Why didn’t I listen to High Brass?” she spoke into her hooves.

Alto followed each step with his eyes until it reached the bottom floor, trying to conjure up something that may help the pony in distress. But all he could think about were the stories surrounding Hot Shot. The stallion was a well known athlete, both on the field and with the mares. Just like High Brass, Hot Shot had rumors follow his every move. The only difference between the two was both mares and stallions spoke negatively about Hot Shot; High Brass was only hated by the guys exclusively.

“Let’s try not to think about him,” was the only advice Alto could muster up. He never found himself trying to assist fixing a mare’s broken heart. Regardless with the lack of experience, Alto wasn’t going to abandon Spearmint to her own sadness; she was in need. “Did you hear me sing?”

The question seemed to quickly distract the mint-green pegasus. “I did,” she smiled. “And it was very sweet.”

Alto wanted to use this chance to cheer up Spearmint with a silly pun. “Was it as sweet as your name?”

Spearmint flushed, her teeth flashing a wide grin. “Not as sweet as your compliment.” Both ponies smiled at one another, exchanging simple laughs. Alto eyed Spearmint, her cute smile cheering him up.

“You seem better already,” Alto added.

Spearmint nodded, “Just a little.” She faced Alto, showing very little sadness. “I can see why Harp Hearts talks a lot about you. You know how to cheer somepony up.”

“I should thank her to be honest,” Alto shrugged. “She is the reason why I no longer beat myself up. Her advice helped me a lot.”

Spearmint blinked, sadness sweeping over her face like a bowl overflowing with water. “If only I was good at listening to advice.”

“Are you referring to High Brass?” He had advice to give?

She nodded, “I used to date him before.”

It was a bit of a shock, but less of a surprise to Alto. He had never seen Spearmint in a close relationship with High Brass. An explanation was needed. “When was this?”

“A while back before I was brought into his group.” Her eyes lazily gandered at Alto, staring at him but not straight in the eyes. “It is a bit of a long story. Do you mind hearing it?”

“I do not mind.” I can also learn a little about the good side of High Brass. Just the thought of High Brass having a good side was comical, considering everything Alto had just been through with the pompous rich pony. However, a little understanding of High Brass’ positive motives was good to at least know.

Spearmint licked her lips, “Before I knew the other girls in his group, I was a helpless romantic; and I still am. I've always wanted to have somepony to love and to love me back. Almost always, I would find myself falling in love with a different stallion almost every week. And every time I showed interest, nopony would give back. I did have one friend who seemed like he was interested in me, but we don’t talk anymore…”

I wonder why your old friend no longer associates with you, Alto thought. His brow twitched, knowing very well Spearmint’s friend fell victim to High Brass’ game.

“One day, out of the blue, High Brass approached me and asked me on a date. I don’t know what prompted him to approach me of all mares so suddenly, but I didn’t let the opportunity of a lifetime slip from my grasp.” Spearmint realized she was daydreaming about High Brass and quickly reassured, ““I-I’m not trying to sound like I want to take High Brass away from Harp Hearts!”

It would be nice if you did. Thankfully, Alto’s subconscious was not in charge of his tongue. “I understand. You’re just telling me the past.”

“At least you understand that,” Spearmint sighed.

Alto wanted to ask about her past friend, but didn’t want to tread on ground that could end less than positive; or worse, slip up and tell Spearmint High Brass stole Harp Hearts from him. Drama was something Alto wanted to avoid. “You were saying?”

“The first date we had was amazing. He bought everything. from the food we ate, to the dress I wore that day. And the next two weeks I was with High Brass was amazing. To sum it up, I felt like I was living in a fantasy.”

“I can assume why.” Curious with how the breakup happened, Alto cut to the chase, “What happened between you and him?”

“Oh, right.” Spearmint stared forward at the wall, the white paint blank of any markings. “When we were at his home, he pulled me into his garden.” Her head spun to look at Alto. “If you ever go to his estate, you need to go there first.”

“Does he have spearmint in his garden?” Alto joked. He received a playful shove in the process.

“As I was saying, we were roaming about the garden.” Spearmint’s eyes fell back onto the white wall. “We sat down and High Brass asked me if I loved him. Of course, I said yes.” The mare nodded as if the white paint was High Brass asking the same question in the past moment. “Then he asked why.” After sucking in a breath of air, Spearmint let out a soft sigh. “Aside from stating the obvious ‘because you are handsome’ and ‘you treat me so well,’ I couldn’t find any other answers to his question.”

“What did he ask next?” Alto assumed High Brass asked another question.

“He- then told me his reasons for loving me.” A curious hum vibrated in Alto’s throat. “High Brass said I was somepony wonderful to have close by, always willing to get up against him. My affection to him was stress relieving.” Spearmint smiled at the spoken memories. “He continued to go on about my character, how I am fun to be around, and over all, a good pony.” Slowly, Spearmint faced Alto, a frown weighing at the corners of her mouth. “After flooding me with compliments, he asked me if I loved him. And…”

Knowing a sad memory was about to surface, Alto scooted closer toward Spearmint, but not too close. It was enough for her to notice and she moved toward him as well. “What was your answer?” he asked.

“I said ‘I don’t know…’” Spearmint replied with a crack in her voice. “Just the thought of the question still haunts me. And now, I wonder why I even liked Hot Shot! He was good looking, yeah. But I wanted to see if I could find a reason for me to love him. And-”

Alto rubbed a hoof on the mare’s shoulder, bringing her already heated attitude back to a lukewarm temperature. “You were going on about Hot Shot.” Alto shook his head, “He is not what we were talking about right now. Let’s focus on one stallion at a time.”

“Right… Sorry…” To Alto, Spearmint looked lonely, in need of somepony. Just like him.

“I-if y-you’d like,” he mumbled, his cheeks flushed, “you can- I can… h-h-hold you. Just for friendly comfort.” The offer was snatched and the mare threw herself at Alto. She burrowed her cheek into his breast, nuzzling it like a child missing their mother’s warmth. Her hair smelled like sweet vanilla, warming the unicorn’s lungs. Alto pulled her close, arms wrapped tightly around Spearmint. Rubbing her shoulder in comfort, the stallion asked, “Whenever you are ready, you can continue.”

Spearmint wasted no time to resume her story, “So, High Brass then began to talk to me about my old habits. I have talked to him about my helpless romantic lifestyle before because I felt safe telling him. Now that he was bringing it to light about the current situation at hoof, or rather, at the time, made be feel even worse about myself.”

“But how did he help you and give you advice?” Alto asked.

“He told me to not seek out somepony just for giving affection alone. Seek out their heart. Find a real reason to love somepony before sharing your heart.” Spearmint looked up at the stallion holding her. “Just like you, when you stood up onstage and sang your heart out to that mare that you wanted to ask to the dance.”

Alto smiled down at her, “Sometimes the emotions are too strong to ignore and you have to proclaim it somehow.” He sighed out the side of his mouth, “Too bad I had to weep like a child onstage.”

“Oh no no no.” Spearmint adjusted herself and her nose slightly skimmed against Alto’s neck. The tickle was a small sensation and the stallion gasped at the feeling. “That was very sweet of you. You had a reason why you loved that mare so much that it brought you to tears.”

“I suppose.” Wanting to keep Harp Hearts out of his mind as much as possible, Alto needed to bring the attention back to Spearmint and her past relationship with High Brass. To think that he would rather think about High Brass than Harp Hearts. Everything was beginning to become ironic. “So how did you take the breakup with High Brass?”

Spearmint shrugged, “How else do you think I took it? Of course I cried and High Brass was still there to keep me in his arms. But when he told me to look for a stallion I can truly love, High Brass reassured he was not trying to hurt me; he was trying to help me not fall for a stallion that will end up abusing the affection I give.” Alto gave the advice some thought. Scenarios of potential “lovers” entered his mind, each one using Spearmint for their own sick, perverse ways.

“He does make a good point,” Alto spoke, almost laughing out loud; another thing he and High Brass agree on. “Neither he, nor I think you should be in a relationship that has somepony abusing your love. And unfortunately, Hot Shot did just what High Brass warned you about.”

Spearmint’s arms squeezed Alto tightly. “But I just can’t help myself!” she wined, a fresh wave of tears flooding from the cracks of her closed eyes. “I want to just love somepony! I want to hold a stallion close to me! I want him to tell me everything is going to be alright! I just- I don’t want to be alone… I don’t want to be sad and have to deal with mutual hugs and reassurance that everything is going to be okay. No! I want that stallion to be there for me! To be there when I cry for help. But I want to have a reason to love him, too! I want to be there for his days when he is lonely. I want to be the mare that knows he loves him with a heart that never fails. I just want… And I hate what I cannot control…”

Spearmint pressed her face deeper into Alto’s chest, twitching from the sad huffs of air. Doing all he could, the stallion quietly whispered hushes into the depressed pegasus’ ear. “Shh, it’s okay. Just let it all out.” Alto was beginning to thank Harp for the influence she had on him, remembering those words she once said before.

“I just don’t just want to have to feed off of somepony’s love,” Spearmint mumbled into Alto’s shirt. “I do want to find a reason why I love somepony. I just don’t want to wait.”

“You are going to have to, Spearmint,” Alto argued calmly, but then redacted his thought. “In fact, you can be loved by your friends.”

The mare giggled, “I know that, and you know exactly what I mean.”

“All I am doing is simply using what you had said.” Playing along, Alto gave Spearmint a gentle squeeze on the shoulder.

Both ponies smiled at one another, enjoying the lonely company. Nopony was around to see them, which is how they prefered it. “Thank you for at least being here for me.”

“I didn’t plan it, but thanks to my crying fit onstage, our fate was destined.” Alto figured now would be the time to discuss his feelings to Spearmint. Considering how she had concluded her fit of sorrow, perhaps Alto could vent about his own; carefully, however.

“Now don’t go beating yourself up,” Spearmint frowned, mimicking one of Harp Hearts’ old expressions of disapproval.

“Like you said,” Alto spoke sarcastically, “‘I can’t help myself.’” Both ponies smiled at the joke, but knew there was some truth behind the sentence.

Spearmint shook her head, “Don’t use me as an example. Our problems are nowhere close.”

“I suppose,” Alto replied.

“You know…” The mare poked at the unicorn’s ribs. “...if you want, you can tell me about the mare you wanted to ask to the dance.”

Alto flinched as the discomforting poke registered in his brain. “I’d rather not.”

“Come on! Pleeeeeese!” Spearmint ran her hoof against his ribs like a balled-mallet running up a xylophone.

“Stop,” Alto chuckled, half enjoying the tease, half disliking the pestering.

“I won’t tell,” she winked.

To prevent another round of tickling, the unicorn grabbed hold of Spearmint’s hoof. I can’t believe I am considering it. “You promise?” Something in Alto’s heart needed to just tell somepony other than a stallion. However, he needed to not let the true truth out.

Before he could react, Spearmint reclaimed her hoof with a quick pull and tapped Alto’s muzzle. “I swear.”

Letting out a defeated sigh, Alto looked at his tuxedo pocket. A crumpled white paper hid itself like a snow rabbit hibernating in black ash. “Alright.” Alto blinked at it, recalling how he snatched the piece before he fled the stage. If he left it, Harp Hearts would see her name below the title. And the evening would be more of an event than just the dance alone.

“I’m ready when you are,” Spearmint beamed.

As if confessing to murder, Alto hesitated, not sure if it was the right thing to do. Venting about Harp may help, but at what cost? He was about to find out.

“H… Harp Hearts,” Alto muttered. Never in his life did a mare quickly tear herself from his arms.