• Published 4th Jan 2017
  • 2,915 Views, 70 Comments

Society as We Know It - Comma Typer



While the Changeling Kingdom is being rebuilt under the rule of King Thorax, many changelings are finding it hard to fit in to their new lives. So, some of them take off to travel Equestria on their free days.

  • ...
8
 70
 2,915

PreviousChapters Next
Fan

A stack of comic books, all topped off with a comic cover of the Power Ponies.

Nastic groaned, standing in front of the stall on a ground or surface of cloud, looking at the pegasus bewildered at the tall comic stack beside him—his eyes wide open and a surprised look.

It was a windy day—the breeze, continuous and fair, characterized the time. Pegasi flying about, flying more than walking. The neighborhood of clouded houses with cloud lawns and yards wasn't far off. Closer by, scattered about coliseums and columns made sure that anyone visiting Cloudsdale knew for certain that this had a pegasus history.

"I've come here with the comics you've asked," Nastic said, putting on a slight smile and taking off his hat. "Feel free to examine any issue of your choosing."

The pegasus in front of him neared the comic books. Halting and then picking up the top issue, he then raised the issue to the sky—as far as his hooves could reach, though, without the help of flying.

"I can't believe it," Nastic muttered under his breath, watching Soarin inspecting the issue with scrutiny. "First, there was that Flash Sentry pony from the royal guards and, now, the Wonderbolts. What's next? The Princesses love the Power Ponies? They're sending some money to the ponies who make these stories? Is there some kind of group of ponies in the E.U.P. Guard that likes the Power Ponies? Shining Armor—heh, he could've been a founder for that one."

Now, he was seeing Soarin open the comic book and then reading it, a big smile on his face. Nastic smiled more at the sight of that.

Looking up from his reading, Soarin said, "Any special things about this particular issue other than what I have seen?"

"If my memory isn't going bad," Nastic answered, "then that copy is among the first to be published—first publication, that's one. Next, if you haven't noticed, it's clean—mint condition. No, not the pony Mint Condition."

"Yeah, I can tell," Soarin said, cracking a smile of his own at that.

Nastic rotated his hoof. "Moving on, you can clearly see that it's in mint condition. I placed it in plastic the moment I could get it to a safe place. That's when I realized that there are ponies who are not only good at placing plastic around comics, I thought to myself that there are ponies whose cutie marks may have something to do with plastic as well."

"Why does it surprise you?" Soarin asked, looking a little confused. "If that's the pony's destiny, then that's his destiny. Not to mention that it's his talent."

"Still, it's plastic."

"So, what if it's plastic?" Soarin glanced at the comic book he was holding. "Anyway, back to the topic at hoof: How much are you selling for this?"

"I'm open to three hundred and fifty bits as the minimum," Nastic said, putting on his hat back.

"Uh, is there any chance that you could lower the price?" Soarin asked, sounding half-desperate as he grinned.

"I thought Wonderbolts get really good salary for their job."

"Does it matter?"

"You're not denying it, though," Nastic said, smirking at him. "Which means you have more than enough to pay for several of the high-tier comics here. And then some more."

Some pegasi rushing by, bringing along them a gust that moved the Wonderbolt's mane about though he didn't give the group any attention.

"But, I won't force my offer on you," Nastic said, walking closer to the stack. "I fully understand if you're saving that money up for something else. I'm just trying to find some way to make a pony happy while also getting money. Nothing too bad, right?"

Soarin turned the comic around, flipping the pages and, at times, stopping to intently check on certain details. He sometimes looked up to see Nastic again before going back to the comic.

After a while, he hoofed the comic book back to Nastic who placed it back on the comic stack.

"Thanks, Nastic, but I don't think I'll be having one of your copies for now."

Nastic nodded, adjusting his hat . "OK, Soarin. At least I talked to a Wonderbolt like you. That's always a good thing."

"And, at least I talked to a changeling like you, which is also a good thing."

Both of them smiled as they went their separate ways, walking away from each other.

Then, Nastic's smile faded away. "Knowing where Long Winded is, I can't keep a good mood."

The changeling took off to the sky, flapping his wings.


Near Ponyville, in the sky, there was a floating house. It was a tall house—three floors. Designed with that Cloudsdale architecture of columns, adorned with rainbow falls and even a small lake of rainbow, its entrance embellished with a stylized representation of Rainbow Dash's cutie mark, this cloud house was slowly floating about.

A winding path made of clouds led to the entrance which was a wooden double door with fancy handlebars. It was open, revealing to whoever wanted to look inside what it, indeed, looked inside.

Immediately past the entrance, there was a circular foyer. A polished, clean floor—probably made up of marble—was where the ponies stood as balloons, streamers, and confetti decorated the place. Stairs leading up to the second floor of the foyer and the circular platform and railings that made up that part of the foyer—ponies, too, were standing there, talking in festive manner. Near the entrance, there was a statue of a pegasus in flight; it was smiling.

In the open foyer, ponies were talking and discussing, sometimes glancing here or there at some part of the house they could see. After that, there was a short bit of worried silence before the conversation went back to other topics, although most notable of them was the topic of Rainbow Dash. In fact, among the collected chatter that could be heard there, "Rainbow Dash" was being said a lot by different ponies in different places of the house.

Not to mention that more than a few of them were holding and wearing an array of Rainbow Dash stuff—shirts, hats, flags, plushies, figurines, posters, pictures, among others. Laughs and coughs in the air, a display of Rainbow Dash merchandise was here. From calm and collected to pure excitement, the range of ponies that were there also displayed varied attitudes and personalities in the house.

Among these ponies were the Cutie Mark Crusaders, all at a table talking and laughing, sporting Rainbow Dash hats and flags—even Sweetie Belle, much to the dramatic dismay of Rarity who was watching from beyond the entrance with Twilight looking at her, worried.

"I—I can't believe after all that we have done together!" Rarity exclaimed in that high-falutin voice of despair. "You chose to join Rainbow Dash's fan club?!"

"Uh, Rarity," Twilight said, patting her, "you know that just because she's a part of the official Rainbow Dash Fan Club doesn't automatically mean that she likes Rainbow Dash more than you. Besides, you're sisters—I'm sure that if you ask Sweetie, she will definitely say that she loves you more."

"But, if that's the case, why doesn't she join my fan club!"

"None of us have an official fan club, Rarity," Twilight said. "Well, except for Rainbow Dash, but that's not the point. The point is, it's just a fan club—I want to go to a Daring Do convention but that doesn't mean I like A.K. Yearling more than you or any other of our best friends." Then, she placed a hoof around her head. "Rarity, your sister likes Rainbow Dash. A lot."

"Thanks for that."

"But, she loves you a lot more," Twilight assured. "You understand that, right?"

Rarity groaned. "OK, I understand, but I'll give Sweetie quite a talking when she comes back home!"

Twilight groaned in response.

And, several pegasi were flying in, passing by the unicorn and the alicorn; one of them waved at them though he got no response. They entered the house and had only on them faces of astonishment—open mouths and closed grins, all with those open eyes that indicated a fan's admiration and enthusiasm for being right in a very important place.

"I can't believe I'm in Rainbow Dash's house!" one screamed. "All the way from Manehattan, but this was totally worth it!"

"Keep it down!" his friend told him. "Gotta stay cool for Rainbow Dash. We don't want what happened with, well, you know—the book."

The pony's smile disappeared. He quickly nodded. "Yes, I must've forgotten that on the way here!"

"Conveniently forgotten it, eh?"

"Just let yourself free!" He raised his forehooves in the air. "This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity!"

"Two things wrong with that. One, conponies are bound to say that, so you saying that out loud isn't helping matters. Two, it's not a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. If the fan club is successful here, then we'll be having these once a year at the very least. I'm sure Rainbow Dash would be accepting of that—she's egotistical, so why pass up on that?"

"If the fan club succeeds, you forgot the 'if'!"

His friend sighed, shaking his head. Fixing his Rainbow Dash hat—which had a depcition of the pegasus's cutie mark—he looked at the pony. "It's going to be up to us for this to succeed. So, don't go crazy and we'll be—"

The pony zipped away.

The friend sighed. Then, a large grin sprouting on his face, he followed the pony, laughing and joining in the fun of hte party.

The Cutie Mark Crusaders, at the stairs, were laughing, too.

"I don't know if I told you this before," Scootaloo said, "but I brought my entire collection of Rainbow Dash pictures that I've gotten through the years!" Bringing the huge book out of her saddle bag, she placed it on the floor and opened it.

The other two fillies went closer to it.

An assortment of pictures were on the pages, sometimes having scribbles on the side. There was a photo of Rainbow Dash flying in the sky, though too far away to see what her facial expression was. There was another photo of Rainbow Dash—this time, she was much closer and there was Scootaloo in her grip. Both were smiling, Rainbow Dash smiling a dashing and arrogant smile while Scootaloo was grinning, eyeing her. Yet another photo showed Rainbow Dash smiling at the camera mid-flight amongst the clouds.

"I got this one thanks to Fluttershy," Scootaloo said, pointing to that picture. "While photos of Rainbow Dash are great enough, Rainbow Dash truly shines when she's flying so I had to take pictures in the clouds!"

"Wouldn't it be difficult to balance your cam'ra?" Apple Bloom asked, tilting her head sideways and raising a hoof.

"It's not as bad as it sounds," Scootaloo replied. "I think it's my pegasus abilities kicking in. Or, maybe it really is that easy."

They turned back to the book and Scootaloo turned the page.

More photos of Rainbow Dash which included one that showed her about to prank Scootaloo—the innocent filly approaching a telescope while, in the foreground and hidden from her sight by the bushes, a giggling Rainbow Dash holding a rope attached to the telescope. Another photo—Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo at an ice cream store, eating simple ice cream on simple ice cream cones.

"Hey, that's where I and Rarity used to eat when I was little!" Sweetie exclaimed. She budged Scootaloo out of her place and looked at the photo in question more closely.

"Uh, Sweetie Belle?" Scootaloo asked, poking her on the shoulder. "You can do that when I let you borrow it for real. But, now, I've gotta show you the rest!"

"Wait, if Ah' borrow it, I could still see the rest of it," Apple Bloom said.

"It's way cooler if I'm the one who guides you through my photos," Scootaloo replied. Then, looking at Sweetie—who was now holding the book up with her magic—she frowned a little. "But, we have to get past Sweetie first."

And, a pink pony passed by, though Sweetie Belle was so engrossed in the book, flipping the pages hurriedly, while Scootaloo and Apple Bloom were attempting to persaude her away from the book—they were too busy to acknowledge Pinkie Pie who was hopping her way towards Bow Hothoof and Windy Whistles who had a gaudy yet endearing aggregation of Rainbow Dash merchandise: clothes that had their daughter's cutie mark on them, fake rainbow-colored tails and fake rainbow-colored manes, flags that had her cutie mark on it and saddle bags with that cutie mark, too, along with plushies and more photos in their hooves.

"How's it going?" Pinkie Pie asked—and she was also holding a Rainbow Dash flag. "Glad to be able to see your daughter in an official Rainbow Dash Fan Club event, huh?"

The two parents nodded, grinning. "We're so proud of her, and we wouldn't want to miss joining in the fan club!"

"Uh, you're her parents," Pinkie said, pointing an asking hoof at both of them. "I don't think you should be joining her own fan club."

They looked at each other. Then, Bow Hothoof looking at Pinkie: "If that's how things go around here in the fan club, then that's fine. But—" Now with concern in his tone and voice "—where's Rainbow Dash?"

"It's supposed to be a secret," Pinkie said. "Rainbow Dash is hanging out with Starlight, which was Twilight's idea. After we get things going—and, I think they're going—I'll signal Twilight."

Bow Hothoof and Windy Whistles nodded again. "Good idea!" Windy yelled. "But, what is she doing with Starlight?"

"I don't know, honestly," Pinkie answered, shrugging.


"You want me to do what?" Rainbow Dash blurted out.

"Do I have to say it again?" Starlight said as she sat on one of the crystal thrones at the crystal table.

"Yes! Because, I can't believe what you just told me to do!"

Starlight sighed and rolled her eyes. "Watch butterflies. Take pictures of butterflies near the forest. What's wrong with that?"

"You should go ask Fluttershy for that, not me," Rainbow said, taking to flight, hovering over the table, and crossing her arms.

Starlight sighed again. "I already did it with Fluttershy. And it was boring."

"See?" Rainbow said, flailing her forehooves. "If you think it's boring, why would you think I would join you?"

"Well, I was thinking that you would be able to add a bit of flair to watching butterflies."

"Look, Starlight—if I end up sleeping in the middle of the trip, you'll sleep, too! I'm not going."

Then, Rainbow Dash narrowed her eyes at Starlight.

"This doesn't sound right. Why would you want me to join you in an activity you don't like? With Fluttershy, no less? She's the one who can make it not boring for anypony else!"

Starlight looked shocked. Then, right after, she covered her mouth, her eyes darting here and there.

"You're hiding something, aren't you?" Rainbow asked. Flying closer and closer to Starlight. "What's the plan, huh?!"


More and more ponies and even a smattering of other creatures had gathered in the intervening time, the clock on some table ticking with more and more seconds going by without even a single sign of Rainbow Dash nearing. Pauses and halts cut into the conversation at times but it was not noticeable—the somewhat echoed syllables heard in the foyer drowned out any such hint at that. In fact, with the increase of visitors and celebrators inside, the overall mood of the place was getting better with more to talk about Rainbow Dash to, not to mention the arrival of several pieces of Rainbow Dash merchandise that otherwise would not have been seen there at all, some of which caught the attention of more than a few attendees who directed their sight towards what was novel.

Tables were being brought out, pushed and pulled and adjusted by a diversity of ponies all united and unified under that great interest, beyond intrigue, for Rainbow Dash. Seats, too, were delivered to the tables.

The cheerful clamor, the slowly rising commotion of similar energized discussions—further making the house the fan club's loud place of frolic, of peaceful joy. All were smiling, though the smiles did stop for a while on some of them before they returned.

Twilight and Rarity entering the house, Twilight having normal eyes but a downward mouth. "Pinkie?"

Pinkie's ears perked up and she leaped a great distance over several ponies and several tables and right in front of Twilight, almost hitting her.

Twilight flinched then went back to her normal posture. "Uh, are you sure it won't take any logner? I don't know how Rainbow's doing, but I hope Starlight is keeping her busy."

Pinkie nodded, grinning. "Everything is OK to go, Twilight!" Facing Rarity now, she said, "Don't you worry about your sis', Rarity! She's gonna be just fine!"

She patted the unicorn on the head.

Rarity, stumped as could be seen by her open mouth, eyed Pinkie who kept smiling throughout it all. She sighed as a sly smile went on her face. "I could never truly understand how you could deduce how others feel, Pinkie Pie, but I more than appreciate it." She placed a hoof on the mare's shoulder. "Thanks, Pinkie."

"Well, duh!" She rolled her eyes. "Haven't you heard of listening to other ponies while they're not looking? I was watching you two from the window earlier!"

Rarity, sharpening her eyebrows for a quick second, rolled her eyes and moaned. "Of course."

Twilight giggled at that.


Nastic whizzed and flew through clouds and over grass and feeling the stream of the wind racing past him. Despite the ponies sometimes pointing at the changeling in the sky, he paid no attention to them, not even giving them the shortest of glances or glimpses away from forward ahead.

Front hooves stretched there, staying in that position as he moved at a speedy pace, his immediate surroundings becoming a blur to him as he went even faster. His saddle bag struggled to be free, yet it stuck to his body with nothing flying out of it into wherever the wind would take them.

Gritted teeth, clenched jaw, focused eyes, lowered head, flapping wings that glistened and sparkled in the morning sky with the shining sun.

From far away, back on the ground, if one were to bring a gaze towards Nastic, one would see a colorful glitter of miniscule size in the sky. One would see that glitter move quite casually if he was far enough, but the closer one would get towards the changeling's altitude, the better of a sense one would get of how fast he was really moving. Nevertheless, ignoring that, one would notice it—for, it was different from the colorful twinkles that pegasi would make in the sky, from the relatively uniform spots that griffons would appear to be, from clouds and forms of aerial transportation.

This was a singular, single parade that the lone changeling was making, forcing his way past the distances and the miles he thought he still had to traverse before reaching his destination—and, it was getting closer and closer, now, that speck over there in the horizon, growing into that distinct shape of a cloud-material house nearer and nearer.

"I don't want to let this descend into an embarrassing moment," Nastic uttered, his voice drowned out in the wind's rush. "Long Winded, don't make a fool out of yourself!"

Nearer and nearer, closer and closer.

Past the windy sounds and noise, happy talk.

Eyes widening, though mouth still closed and pursed, Nastic kept at it—his flight.


"Does that mean Rainbow Dash is almost here?" Scootaloo asked, her eyes brightening and gleaming with quivering pupils and irises accompanied with an ear-to-ear smile.

Fluttershy nodded, both of them near the window and a bit far away from the main cluster of the crowd. "Twilight is on her way to pick her up and get her here." Then, moving her head a little bit, she asked, "If you don't mind, how's her fan club?"

"I don't know if you noticed, Fluttershy," Scootaloo gabbed, "but we've accepted several new members, and one of them is—" pausing "—Sweetie Belle!"

"Oh? I, uh, didn't see that one coming." Another pause. "So, that means that all three of you are Rainbow Dash fans now?"

"Officially, no doubt!" Scootaloo said. "I've already given Sweetie Belle some things to help her get started: some photos and pictures of Rainbow Dash, some clothes and memorabilia, and also a schedule of our weekly activities!"

"Which involves ziplining, from what I've heard?"

"Yeah!" She jumped up, her flapping wings slowing down her descent. "And, it's the perfect addition to the fan club! It gives non-pegasus ponies the chance to experience the thrill of flying just like Rainbow Dash! Anypony can try it out and—"

"What?!"

And, all the festivities went quiet.

Silence, save for the breeze.

Rainbow Dash at the entrance, dumb-founded look on her face as she stood still, only her eyes moving though they scurried to random places here and there; mouth shivering open, irises shrunken, head shifting little.

A gasp. A scream.

Scampering Scootaloo to the mare.

Hug.

All else staring, all else still, too.

"Bet you didn't expect this, huh?" Scootaloo asked. "I heard you liked to meet the fan club with all the members some day, so why not take it up a notch and surprise you?"

No words. Just a surprised face on her.

Several leaned in, towards seeing Rainbow Dash.

"I...I...I..."

Scootaloo's grin grew wider.

Rainbow smiled and hugged Scootaloo back.

Scootaloo hugged.

And the two were in a simple embrace, a simple and loving embrace.

"Aww!" the crowd went.

Rainbow, gently pushing the filly aside—with Scootaloo responding with just smiles and silent excitement—walked a few steps forward, now in full and clear view of everyone inside.

"So, this is the official Rainbow Dash Fan Club I've been hearing about," she said, smirking at whoever she was looking at. "Smaller than I expected."

This elicited much laughter and a round of good-natured hoof-stomping.

She hovered over the floor.

"Let's get this party started!" she yelled, throwing a fist in the air.

Party cannon fired, electronic music activating, fan club revelries resuming in greater magnitude of both movement and noise as ponies went about more energetically—dancing, running about. More party decorations spread about.

And, lots of ponies gathered around Rainbow Dash who placed on a pair of shades as she smiled and sat on the foot of the stairs, cameras flashing and even a few microphones right in front of her mouth.

"Best fan club ever!" she shouted, throwing yet another hoof in the air.

And causing a collective whoop.


Long Winded walking about on the cloud path when, out of the blue, his friend appeared in front of him.

"Nastic?!" Long Winded yelled. "I thought you're—"

"I'm just going to be with you, OK?" Nastic told sternly, pointing a hoof at him. "You're not leaving my sight until this party's over!"

"But, this was supposed to be a fun time for me!" he complained, slouching. "Just me and the rest of the Rainbow Dash fan club to hang out with—I don't have to worry about you watching me and making sure I don't overstep my boundaries in being a fan. I can handle myself!"

"I just don't feel good about it, that's all," Nastic said.

"Is that it?"

Nastic sighed.

He turned around, seeing the grand celebration going on as shouts of "Rainbow Dash!" echoed.

Then, he turned back to look at his friend. "I just want to see you happy without causing trouble. That's why I flew all the way from Cloudsdale to here. You understand?"

Long Winded hesitated, shaky mouth and eyes.

"Do you understand, Long Winded?"

He nodded.

"Therefore, I won't be watching you," Nastic said, pointing a hoof at him again.

Long Winded gasped.

"I've trusted you for a long time," Nastic said. Then, forcing a smile, he said, "Make use of it."

"Because we're the best of friends?!" Long Winded yelled. "Yes! Thanks!"

Then, the changeling sped all the way to the house.

Nastic looked on and smiled.

PreviousChapters Next