• Published 4th Jan 2017
  • 2,913 Views, 70 Comments

Society as We Know It - Comma Typer



While the Changeling Kingdom is being rebuilt under the rule of King Thorax, many changelings are finding it hard to fit in to their new lives. So, some of them take off to travel Equestria on their free days.

  • ...
8
 70
 2,913

PreviousChapters Next
Friendly Times in Ponyville

"Ah, Sweet Apple Acres!" Discord said before he sighed a sigh of wonder, standing in front of many apple trees. "I flooded this place once, but I decided to stop that." He smiled at his friends. "Maybe you have better ideas on how to have some friendly times here?"

"Uh, what about we talk about apples with Applejack?" Thorax asked. "I'm sure she would tell us more about apples!"

"I'm not ready for a scholarly discussion on apples," Discord replied. "We're supposed to be having fun, not talking about how to plant apples and how to take care of them!"

Starlight looked at the many apples around them. "Well, it wouldn't be bad to talk to Applejack. If she's not busy, then I guess it would be fine."

Trixie glanced at Starlight. "Uh, OK."

"OK, tell me where Applejack is," Discord said. "Because, I don't see Applejack anywhere. We might as well be spending hours looking for her! I mean, there are so many trees! Where could she be?!"

"Maybe right there?" Starlight said, pointing a hoof.

Discord turned around.

There was Applejack, wearing her hat and walking on the dirt path.

"Howdy!" Applejack greeted. "Ah'm wonderin' why y'all ar' here today? It's not like there's anythin' goin' on 'round here, just a normal work day!"

Discord grumbled. "Applejack, this changeling wants to talk to you about apples." He gestured towards the changeling.

Thorax looked at Discord. Then, he looked at Applejack and smiled. "Uh, yes, Applejack! I would, uh, be OK with talking to you about apples."

"And, exactly why?" Applejack asked, staring at him with a questioning look.

"Because I'm not sure what to do in Sweet Apple Acres other than talk about apples and buying some apples," Thorax said quickly.

"Well, ya' should've been here a few days ago," Applejack replied. "Some of our cousins were there and we had some good family time together! Ah' think they would've been alright with gettin' to be friendly with ya'!"

"Yes, Applejack," Thorax said, a little nervous in his voice. "I guess it would've been a really great family time with them. But, what can we do as friends here?"

"Uh, like what ya' said. Talk about apples, buy some apples. Ya' could probably help with the work here, but Ah' don't know about lettin' Discord help."

"You're still doubtful about me?" Discord asked, sounding deeply affected.

"That chaotic magic o' yers' is somethin' I just can't handle!"

"Don't be so angry about it, Applejack," Discord said. "We're just trying to find a place for some nice times as friends."

"Then, Ah'm wonderin' why ya' somehow got here!" Applejack said. "Ah' would think that the Sugarcube Corner or Twilight's Castle of Friendship would be better places for some friendship times if ya' wanted somethin' more energetic!" She looked at Thorax and the rest of his friends. "Not that I don't want ya' to stay here, but it just doesn't make any sense why ya' want to be here."

Thorax slowly, solemnly nodded. "OK, Applejack. Sorry for bothering you."

Applejack smiled. "Aww, that's alright Thorax!"


"That wasn't as great as I thought," Discord said as they walked on the streets of Ponyville, passing by ponies and buildings. He looked at Thorax. "OK, since my idea wasn't great, what about we get an idea from you, Thorax? Your days at the Changeling Kingdom could give us some novel, new ideas for a friendly time together!"

"Yeah!" Thorax replied, beaming.

And his friends were paying attention to him as they walked.

"What about we try visiting the Carousel Boutique?"

"What?!" all three of his friends yelled together.

"It's right here!" Thorax said, pointing a hoof at the building beside them.

The building was ornate, decorated with ornaments and designs that brought out a fancy feel to it. The Carousel Boutique looked regal, standing out from the many normal buildings in Ponyville.

"The last thing that I want to be going to is a boutique!" Discord said. He gestured towards the boutique. "How are we going to spend time together in a boutique?!"

"We can make clothes together?" Thorax asked, smiling. "And, Rarity is probably there, so she could help us?"

"I'm talking about ideas that you as a changeling would have, not ideas you're going to get just by looking around!"

"What about we go inside?" Thorax said. "It's not going to be bad, Discord."

"I'll have to agree with him," Trixie added. "Maybe Rarity might make me a new, dazzling robe for my next magic show!"

Starlight chuckled. "Come on, Discord! It's worth a try."

Discord grumbled. "OK, let's go to the boutique!"


"Which one do you think is good?" Rarity asked while she levitated a few dresses above her. "Is it this one?" She faced the creatures in front of her. "I need your input!" she yelled.

"Are you OK, Rarity?" Thorax asked. "You don't seem fine."

"I'm completely fine!" she shouted. "I'm just running late for some customers from Canterlot! There's a store, a boutique already in Canterlot, but they decided that the clothes made in Ponyville fit their styles better!"

"Are you sure you're completely fine?" Thorax asked.

"Uh, don't ask her any more questions," Starlight said, facing him. "It's best not to annoy Rarity any further."


"Where else?" Discord asked. "Where else? I just want to know where else, where else, where else, where else?!"

"We can always go back to Sugarcube Corner," Thorax suggested.

"We've already been there!" Discord complained. "What about we try something or someplace different? Doing the same old things and going to the same old places is just boring. That's why I asked you, Thorax. You, the one who I thought would have some wacky idea about what to do and where to go, but no, I have thought wrong!"

They looked at Lyra carrying a couch across the street.

"OK, that was not what I expected," Discord commented as they stopped and watched Lyra continue her task.

"Do you want some help?" Thorax asked, walking towards the unicorn.

"Uh, yeah," Lyra responded.

"Oh, let me try to help!" Starlight giddily shouted.

The couch glowed and it zoomed across the street and then it landed on the ground quietly and safely, hitting not a single thing on the way there.

Lyra looked at Starlight. "Uh, thanks?"

"I'm glad to help!" Starlight was smiling widely at her.

Then, Lyra looked at Thorax and his friends. She walked towards the couch.

"Do you want to know why I'm asking you, Thorax?" Discord asked.

"Because you thought I have some good ideas about spending time with friends?" Thorax answered as they walked.

"Starlight and Trixie have already been in Ponyville for some time. I've been in Ponyville for, I don't know, some time, too. You, Thorax, haven't been here that much."

"I guess I know what you're trying to get at, Discord," Thorax said. "So, let me try to think of an idea."

And, they went on walking, passing by more ponies and buildings.

The ponies that passed by were talking to each other, most of them smiling and just enjoying the time together.

"What about we go to the Cutie Mark Crusaders' clubhouse?!" Thorax declared.

Discord groaned. "You know that if the Crusaders are there, we're going to Sweet Apple Acres again! Besides, what are we going to do when we get there?"


In the clubhouse, Discord, Starlight, Trixie, Thorax, Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle sat. There was not much space to move around in. There were a few pots and containers of pencils, paint brushes, and cans of paint. A telescope was right in front of one of the windows. On the floor, there was a painted target above the lamp.

"Ah' don't get it," Apple Bloom said. "What ar' we going to do?"

"Yeah, I didn't expect having to accommodate two ponies, a draconequus, and the king of the Changeling Kingdom!" Scootaloo whined.

"Scootaloo," Sweetie Belle said, "they're just trying to find some bonding time. It's not a cutie mark problem, but it's a problem anyway!"

"You could start by blaming Thorax," Discord said, pointing his claw at him.

The Cutie Mark Crusaders looked at him.

"We could teach you how to use a scooter!" Scootaloo yelled.

"You almost broke your scooter the last time you tried that!" Sweetie Belle said.

"Oh." Scootaloo looked down, frowning.

"What about we use the great idea spot?" Apple Bloom asked.

And Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle sat on the target while Apple Bloom turned on the lamp.

Discord, Starlight, Trixie, and Thorax watched the Crusaders as they sat and then stood on the target, thinking.

"You know," Starlight interrupted, "we could contribute our own ideas!"

Discord groaned. "Well, this is not getting us anywhere!"

"Wait!" Thorax said, holding out a hoof at his friends. "Let the Crusaders think! Maybe they're going to get us some cool idea or maybe they'll think of some cool place that we've never thought about before!"

"Don't you remember that I asked you to be the one to think, not to delegate the thinking to other ponies?"

"So, how did you like my magic show earlier?" Trixie asked the Crusaders.

Discord groaned again.

The Crusaders walked out of the target. "It was great!" Apple Bloom shouted. "Ah didn't know ya' could turn an apple into a teacup!"

"And, there was that cool trick where you, uh, tricked us with those cards!" Scootaloo added, excited in her tone.

"What about you levitating a few brooms while also levitating a chair at the same time?!" Sweetie Belle yelled, her voice very happy and eager.

"Well, I would like to say that it was all done by me, but I couldn't have done it without the help of my friend, Starlight." Trixie looked at her.

Starlight smiled. "Oh, I just taught her some lessons about magic, that's all."

"But, you made her an even better magician!" Scootaloo yelled.

"OK, that's enough talking, enough chatting!" Discord said, holding out his claw and his paw. "I am not going to let this descend into just petty conversations! I want activity, I want things to do!"

"What about we go ask Pinkie Pie?" Sweetie Belle said. "I think you're asking for a party!"

Discord groaned again. "Are you telling me to go back to Sugarcube Corner?"


The door opened.

Pinkie Pie looked up from arranging the boxes on the counter. She screamed. "You're back! I didn't know you were going to be back, but then I was thinking about you being back a little while ago, but then you're back here! And you also brought the Cutie Mark Crusaders! What is this, are you going to ask me for a party?"

In front of the counter were Discord, Starlight, Trixie, Thorax, Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle.

"Not exactly a party," Thorax said. "But, maybe we could just sit around, order some cakes and pies and other sweets, and just hang out."

Discord sighed. "This is failing rather spectacularly. I don't see how this can get any worse."

"It could get worse if we ask more ponies to try to help us," Starlight said.

Discord brought his face closer to one of her ears. "It would be the best if you could just stay quiet about it," he whispered with a serious tone. "You're not going to be helping me or any of the rest of your friends if you somehow blurted that out again."

Starlight eyed him. Then, she nodded.

"What about I ask my friend Cheese Sandwich?" Pinkie Pie said while she placed another box on the counter. "He's visiting Ponyville today for a delivery of cakes. He's going to be on the way to Canterlot tomorrow for a super-duper party!" She looked at Discord, then she looked at the door behind him. "Oh, that's Cheese Sandwich over there!"

And the ponies, and the changeling, and the draconequus turned around.

A lean, yellow-orange stallion with curly brown mane and tail stood right in front of the door, wearing a yellow shirt. "Hello, everypony!"

Discord groaned again. "OK, what's next, the Princesses somehow join in the commotion?"

"And, look who I encountered on the way!"

Cheese Sandwich stepped aside and Princess Luna stepped into the bakery.

"You weren't completely wrong, at least," Starlight commented, looking at Discord.

Thorax smiled. "Wait, Princess Luna?!"

"Why, yes, Thorax," Luna said. "I was just, well, looking for some beds from Davenport." She scratched her mane, a bit shy and nervous. "I know that it sounds like a mundane thing for a Princess to do, but I have to connect with my citizens in that homely manner where they are most comfortable."

"She's a real, funny prankster!" Cheese Sandwich declared. He looked at Thorax. "Oh, hey! Haven't seen you before! You're the new royal changeling at the new Changeling Kingdom, right?"

Pinkie Pie ran from the counter and stopped right in front of Thorax. "You see? We've got it all covered for you, Thorax! You and your friends are going to have the greatest party in Ponyville!" And she brought out her party cannon and fire it and streamers and balloons went around.

Thorax grinned.

"This is getting confusin'!" Apple Bloom yelled.

"First, we've had Discord and Thorax in our clubhouse along with Starlight and Trixie," Scootaloo said, "and then we have Cheese Sandwich and Princess Luna in Sugarcube Corner?"

"Just look at the bright side of things," Sweetie Belle said, looking at her friends. "It's going to a fun party if we do attend!"

"And, you're invited!" Pinkie Pie shouted.

"That means an opportunity to show more ponies the magic of the Great and Powerful Trixie!" Trixie yelled.

"So, what's the schedule for the party?" Cheese Sandwich asked, looking at the ponies and the changeling and the draconequus in front of him. "Are we going to have the snacks before or after the party games? I brought my accordion, and a few more accordions if anypony wants to try!"

Thorax walked to Princess Luna, leaving the talking and the chatting and the conversations. "Uh, how do you feel about, uh, this, Luna?"

"It is absolutely fine to partake in such festivities for me," Luna said. "I suspect that there is a deeper motivation behind your asking me."

"How did you know?" Thorax asked, stepping back a little in shock.

"I have been alive for more than a thousand years, Thorax," Luna answered in that calm, soothing yet serious voice. "I know when a pony seeks more than just a casual conversation."

Thorax looked back at his friends who were talking to their friends. He looked back at Princess Luna. "It's about the Changeling Kingdom."

Luna raised an eyebrow. "Amidst all that happy talk? Then again, this is not the first time that I have seen a similar situation. Anyway, what is it about your kingdom?"

"I don't want them to be bothering and irritating your ponies, that's all," Thorax said. "Oh, and I also still feel somewhat not that experienced in being an effective king yet."

"I remember that we have talked a similar topic before," Luna said. "You haven't been given the proper training, but would you let that stop you? There are indeed lessons about being a kind, good ruler that can only be learned when you are actually a ruler." She looked at Thorax's friends and then back at Thorax. "I hope that is enough to answer your questions."

"I hope I won't ask more," Thorax said, walking away from her. "Thanks!"

Luna looked at Thorax as he joined the group of happy, talking ponies.

Discord walked to Luna. "I suppose you didn't help Pinkie Pie or Cheese Sandwich in their goal to annoy me, did you?"

"No, I do not," Luna replied, looking at Discord with a calm face. "I just met Cheese Sandwich on the way to Davenport's store."

"Look, Princess Luna," Discord said, placing a paw right in front of her face, looking at the Princess menacingly, "all I want was just a simple time to bond with my friends, and if you want to bring me away from that, if you don't want me to just have some friendly time with my friends, then...well, just don't try to annoy me!"

"Those threats are not going to work on somepony who does not want to harm you," Luna said.

"Alright!" Discord yelled. Then he walked away from Luna.

At the counter, Pinkie Pie opened a box. She smelled the pie inside the box. "That's a fresh pie for the party! Specifically, that's a sugar apple pie, filled with lots of sugar and lots of apples, courtesy of Applejack, of course! Wanna smell?" She showed the open box and the pie to the ponies and the changeling and the draconequus in front of the counter.

The pie indeed had lots of sugar even on the crust.

"That's going to be keeping us awake, Pinkie!" Cheese commented. He looked at Thorax. "What do you think, Thorax?"

Thorax laughed nervously, hesitantly looking at the smiling, cheerful faces of Pinkie Pie and Cheese Sandwich. "It's a nice gift, and I know that you are very excited to set up a party for me and my friends, but I also have a party back in the Changeling Kingdom, so I don't wanna be running late for that."

"Oh, don't worry about that, Thorax!" Pinkie answered, hopping close to him. "We're going to make sure that you'll have the most fun in the shortest amount of time possible!"

"And we're experts at that!" Cheese told, holding an accordion. "With our combined party skills, you are guaranteed to have lots and lots of fun at the party!"

Discord closed his eyes, sighing. "This isn't what I asked for."

"And, I heard that Twilight's castle is free for the afternoon," Pinkie added, "so that's going to be our venue!" She held a box of sugar apple pie. "Want more? It's just appetizers for the party later! And, by later, we mean ten minutes from now!"

"Ten minutes?!" everypony and also the changeling yelled.

"It's not going to take too long!" Pinkie said, walking with Cheese Sandwich out the door. "We're just going to have to prepare everything for the party! See you there!"

Everyone there looked out at the two walking ponies outside.

Discord walked to Thorax, each step a heavy step. He eyed Thorax, giving him a threatening glare. "OK, Thorax, maybe it's time to do something that can save this from being a disaster."

"I don't see it as a disaster," Thorax replied, happy. "I trust Pinkie Pie with her party skills and her promise that it's not going to be a long party. Besdies, she's the best party pony in all of Equestria, so she definitely has something that can give us the bonding, friendship time we need together. Why didn't I think of asking Pinkie before?"

Discord groaned. "That's enough. I'll just go to the party."


Inside, the crystal room shined with much fanciness and royalty. The walls were made out of crystal and so were the ceiling and the floor, giving the room a shiny atmosphere that beckoned ponies to walk inside. The table at the center was long, made out of crystal, and finely yet casually prepared for the party.

The room was decorated and adorned with various party decorations: balloons, streamers, banners, among others. A vinyl player sat on a small table, playing happy party music right beside the DJ station where DJ Pon-3 was seated behind. She looked at the vinyl player, placing a hoof on her head while she watched the vinyl player play.

Around the table, ponies and a changeling and a draconequus were at their chairs, eating the food in front of them. There was a lot of food there, from the simple salads to the sugar apple pies, from the glasses of water to the glasses of soda, from the cakes to the muffins, from the apples to the oranges. There were also bowls of candy.

Pinkie fired her party cannon and more balloons and streamers went out to decorate the room.

"So, we decided to have the snacks before the party games," Pinkie announced, standing beside Cheese Sandwich who was watching all the party-goers enjoying the food. "Please don't eat too much! Just eat enough food to get yourself ready for the games!"

"And, boy, do we have a list of games for you this afternoon!" Cheese declared. "We're going to be keeping those games a secret. Who doesn't like a surprise, am I right, Pinkie?"

"You sure are, Cheese!"

And the two laughed.

The doors opened.

"How are you doing there?" Twilight Sparkle asked, beholding the grand party scene in front of her.

Thorax, at the chair closest to Twilight, turned around and saw her. "Oh, we're just having the greatest party ever from Pinkie!"

"Huh?" Twilight looked puzzled. "What about the party in the Changeling Kingdom later?"

"Pinkie said it's not going to be long," Thorax answered while grabbing a piece of an apple fritter. "By the way, the food is amazing! Maybe we should be asking for more food from Sweet Apple Acres. I'm sure that would help Applejack and the business she has!"

"Anything for the good of the changelings, Thorax," Twilight said, chuckling after she said that. "It's good that you're having a wonderful time here. Not only do you get to bond with your friends, but you're also enjoying that time. Isn't that, well, good?"

"It sure is, Twilight!" Thorax answered in a cheery tone.

Twilight chuckled again, smiling. "That's nice to hear! Well, see you soon! I still have some Princess work to do before dinner!" Then, she walked past the doors.

The doors glowed and then they closed.

The melodious music went on from the vinyl player with DJ Pon-3 still looking at it, a look of irritation on her face.

Pinkie Pie and Cheese Sandwich went to their seats, grabbed some food, and gobbled up whatever was on their plates.

Everyone else was looking at them.

Then, they quickly went out of their chairs and went straight to the DJ station. "OK, DJ Pon-3!" Cheese Sandwich yelled. "Let's have a change of pace!"

Pinkie stopped the vinyl player.

DJ Pon-3 smiled.

She activated the DJ station.

Then, blaring electronic music went out of the tall, large speakers.

And Pinkie and Cheese danced to the music.

Starlight covered her ears. "That's too loud!"

Thorax nodded his head to the beat. "I actually like it. I've heard it before." He smiled as he continued nodding his head to the beat.

Then, the doors opened again.

Several changelings walked inside the room and looked around, beholding the party decorations. Some of the changelings were already dancing to the music.

"Uh, what's going on?" Discord asked. He eyed Thorax. "Just as I was beginning to get used to this kind of party with my friends, you managed to invite some changelings here! You didn't tell us about this!"

And, everyone was looking at the changelings going around in the room.

"I didn't invite them!" Thorax said, holding out his front hooves. "But, that's probably a good thing?"

Pinkie jumped to Thorax. "It's not just a good thing! A party's more great when there's more party-goers!"

"So, it's not a bad thing?" Thorax asked.

"For my parties, it isn't!" Pinkie said. "Cheese is also OK with it! I'm not sure about the other party planners."

The changelings were now partying, dancing around, even grabbing some of the food from the table. And, they looked at Thorax, went to him, and smiled.

"Hail, King Thorax!" the changelings yelled and shouted in unison as they kneeled before him.

And everyone was looking at Thorax.

Thorax laughed nervously as he looked at everyone else. "Uh, I hope you don't mind some of my changelings joining the fun of the party." He smiled anxiously.

Everyone was still looking at him. They glanced at the other changelings.

The electronic music went on in the background.

Thorax took a bite of an apple fritter. He chewed on it as he looked at the changelings around him who were looking at him and smiling at him.

PreviousChapters Next